• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
EyXSQ9AWYAY3Vda

EyXqRlqWEAIfeNG

As per the latest Digital Bros (505 Games) half year reports.

Total Control revenue is now over €83.8m combining all the reported half year figures provided by Digital Bros. This includes the Steam version released in August 2020 but does not include the Ultimate Edition released for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S in February 2021. The estimated budget for Control is around €30m and Remedy noted the game has sold over 2m copies as of December 2020. This figure includes the €9.49m paid by Epic for the 1-year Epic Game Store exclusivity deal.

Death Stranding PC released in July 2020 on Steam and EGS.

EDIT: I made a mistake in the title initially. Mixed up Death Stranding with Control on the €23m on PC part. My bad!

Last edited:

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
So PC made more than 50% of profit for them? Isn't this a bit unusual? Interesting.

I thought no one plays on PC and PC gaming is dying. /s

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
That seems bad overall. I bought it way after the sales peak though, looking forward to playing it in full when I finally get my Series X.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
This seems not that great. This just shows how important those deals are for publishers and developers.

nu_faust

Oct 27, 2017
Smt
So PC made more than 50% of profit for them? Isn't this a bit unusual? Interesting.

I thought no one plays on PC and PC gaming is dying. /s
you are mixing things up, it's Nintendo who is dying. Only if they were smart enough to release all of their games on smartphones and next gen consoles but you know they are stupid /derail

I dunno how much of the money Remedy is getting but congrats to them nonetheless, people were really ready to buy Remedy games don't sell narrative.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I saw that narrative being revived by parts of this website claiming the SSDs and storage techniques in the new consoles will mean pc will die. The narrative tends to pop up again from time to time.
No it doesn't unless it's a crazy person And in that case why are we using crazy people to base arguments on.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I must be missing something here because I don't see where it says that Control generated over €23mil on PC. If that's referring to the 23,908 figure in the table, I would assume that includes 2019 sales from the PS4 and XB1 versions.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EyXSQ9AWYAY3Vda

As per the latest Digital Bros (505 Games) half year report.

Control includes the Steam version released in August 2020 but does not include the Ultimate Edition released for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S in February 2021. This is up from €30m as of March 31, 2020. The estimated budget for Control is around €30m and Remedy noted the game has sold over 2m copies as of December 2020. Its unclear if the €40m revenue figure includes the €9.49m paid by Epic Games for the 1-year exclusivity on the Epic Games Store.

Death Stranding PC released in July 2020 on Steam and EGS.
Where did you get the platform ratio per titles ? I can only find revenues made on each platforms.

At least for Death Stranding we can be sure of that lol

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I'm glad to see Death Stranding doing so well. It's almost worthy of a new thread

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I saw that narrative being revived by parts of this website claiming the SSDs and storage techniques in the new consoles will mean pc will die. The narrative tends to pop up again from time to time.

I didn't see anyone say the consoles would kill PC, that's insane, I heard people claim that the PS5's SSD would enable games not possible on PC due to selling to the lowest common denominator, which may or may not be true. We'll have to wait to find out on that.

sebbbbe_WiiG

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
For Ghostrunner, All in! Games provided a platform sales breakdown:
53% from Steam
23% from Xbox, PS4 and Switch
24% from remaining stores/platforms (including DLC)

More than 500,000 games were sold as at 31st Dec 2020. Production costs were <2.5 mln EUR and covered after first day of release.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The €23+ million revenue figure is incorrect for PC only, they only made €9+ million for the time period in 2019 for all PC sales. However, it is true that Digital Bros saw their biggest revenue growth in the PC and mobile space in 2020. PC sales almost tripled console revenues for the reporting period in 2020. See pg. 24 of the report.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
This seems not that great. This just shows how important those deals are for publishers and developers.
At least death stranding sales are from 6-7 months of sales only. However the game was priced at $60 without any proper regional pricing and the game has only been discounted up to 50%. DS is not exactly a title for everyone so 505 should've been flexible with it.

sebbbbe_WiiG

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
Also, from Remedys HY financial report 2020 relating to revenues:

Main factors contributing to the growth in revenue were royalty income recognized from the game Control and development fees received from Epic Games. For Control, Remedy receives 45% of digital game sales net revenue. The revenue share for Remedy is calculated from net sales, which takes into account deductions from gross sales, such as distribution and marketing costs of the game. These deductions are front-loaded and affect revenue share calculation negatively especially in the first months of game sales and during periods of special marketing campaigns

Remedys revenues for 2019: 31.645 mln EUR
Remedys revenues for 2020: 41.086 mln EUR

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I must be missing something here because I don't see where it says that Control generated over €23mil on PC. If that's referring to the 23,908 figure in the table, I would assume that includes 2019 sales from the PS4 and XB1 versions.
Where did you get the platform ratio per titles ? I can only find revenues made on each platforms.

At least for Death Stranding we can be sure of that lol
How does OP know the platform breakdown? The thread title seems misleading...
Oops, I made a mistake in the title. It should have said Death Stranding made €23m on PC. My bad!

Nov 2, 2017
I didn't see anyone say the consoles would kill PC, that's insane, I heard people claim that the PS5's SSD would enable games not possible on PC due to selling to the lowest common denominator, which may or may not be true. We'll have to wait to find out on that.
Multiplat games aren't going to skip PC even if it means supporting hard drives. It's too much money left on the table so the "not possible on PC" is a theoretical thing anyway. Besides the lowest common denominator on PC is a choice made by the devs. You can easily make the minimum requirement an SSD. I guess it might be true for first party releases but generally those games don't come to PC anyway.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Thats a pretty low profit margin or am I reading it wrong (for Control overall if it had a 30M budget)?

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Multiplat games aren't going to skip PC even if it means supporting hard drives. It's too much money left on the table so the "not possible on PC" is a theoretical thing anyway. Besides the lowest common denominator on PC is a choice made by the devs. You can easily make the minimum requirement an SSD. I guess it might be true for first party releases but generally those games don't come to PC anyway.

I agree? I was just saying that no one claimed that the next gen consoles would kill PC gaming. The idea of that is absurd.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017

Todesritter74

Oct 30, 2017
It's a 6-month report ending December 31st, 2020 which means 7/1/2020-12/31/2020. So you are not seeing the revenue generated by games from 1/1/2020 to 6/30/2020.

The comparison to same period in 2019 means you are catching the first four months of Control's revenues (August 2019 to December 31st, 2019) and half of 2020's revenue. There is another 6 months of revenue not shown here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Re Death Stranding PC. 505 expected >50M lifetime revenues when they announced the release date.

~26M left and plenty of other sales in the next few years.

I hope it ends meting expectations.
I think it just might barely reach that but I have my doubts given how stingy 505 are with discount on steam and how they treated DS like a new release after 8 months of releade on PS4 with the game having no proper regional pricing...

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to guess that "revenue" includes Epic's moneyhat, and Microsoft's money for appearing on Game Pass.

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
It's a 6-month report ending December 31st, 2020 which means 7/1/2020-12/31/2020. So you are not seeing the revenue generated by games from 1/1/2020 to 6/30/2020.

The comparison to same period in 2019 means you are catching the first four months of Control's revenues (August 2019 to December 31st, 2019) and half of 2020's revenue. There is another 6 months of revenue not shown here.
Oh my, you're indeed correct. Looking at the other first half report its actually now well over €80m in revenue. €34.4m in H1/2020 and €9.49m in H1/2019 (thats the EGS deal fee). So add that to the other two halfs puts the total at €83.8m.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
There will always be people who want somebody/something dead.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh my, you're indeed correct. Looking at the other first half report its actually now well over €80m in revenue. €34.4m in H1/2020 and €9.49m in H1/2019 (thats the EGS deal fee). So add that to the other two halfs puts the total at €83.8m.
Means they are approaching two millions sales or something.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The thread title is beyond fucked lmao. Should probably be "Total revenue for Control is almost €84m as of December 31, 2020; Death Stranding on PC generated over €23m in revenue"

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Now imagine how much DS would have made on PC if it launched day and date.

PC is not the enemy and all consoles makers should release their games there. Let the games breathe and achieve the heights that can only be reached there.

ZSeibar

Nov 2, 2017
Nobody: ....
PC Gamers: " I thought PC gaming was dead huh?? am I right guys ????????? :^) "