• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
www.gematsu.com

Nioh shipments and digital sales top three million; Team Ninja wants to create a new IP for PS5

Total shipments and digital sales for Nioh have exceeded three million worldwide, publisher Koei Tecmo and developer Team Ninja announced.

Total shipments and digital sales for Nioh have exceeded three million worldwide, publisher Koei Tecmo and developer Team Ninja announced.

The game was last reported at 2.5 million sales in February 2019, and before that, at two million sales in May 2018.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game and a PS Plus gem.

My mind was blown when I read that William was actually inspired by a real life sailor, William Adams, with an interesting real world story behind the characters (the first western samurai).

Last edited:

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Really enjoyed the first game, 100% it in fact, loved it. Played the alpha or beta, can't remember which for 2, but the stages on that seemed really slogged down in the ghost stuff which hampers your movement etc. I didn't remember it ever being that bad in the first. Hope that's been adjusted as it really put me off the demo

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Amazing numbers. This should be Koei Tecmo's best seller since they merged by a good bit.

2nd should be Hyrule Warriors (over 2m), 3rd DOA5 (over 1.5m) and then a couple others over 1m (FE Warriors, OPPW3, MUA3, DQB2, probably something else I'm forgetting).

Last edited:

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Spent 70h on base game. Great stuff. But dlc s brutal. Stoped at first boss. Cant wait for p2.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing numbers. This should be Koei Tecmo's best seller since they merged by a good bit.

2nd should be Hyrule Warriors (over 2m), 3rd DOA5 (over 1.5m) and then a couple others over 1m (FE Warriors, OPPW3, probably something else I'm forgetting).

Back in 2017 they said it was already the most successful title they've ever published in the west. By now it may be the most successful game they've ever had in total. Dynasty Warriors use to do massive numbers in Japan (several entries were doing over a million there during the PS2-era), but they didn't follow it outside of the territory. So, its overall sales weren't much higher than its initial Japanese release.

With all the delays that have taken place, Nioh 2 is now in a good position once again to sell well.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
500k in a year is pretty good.

Between Nioh and MUA Team Ninja has had a good last few years. Definitely picking up for Omega Forces struggles to find a hit.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Very excited for Nioh 2 which is an improvement. Hope it can reach those numbers again.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
Very well deserved for GOTY 2017.

Was my GOTY in 2017 too. Of course I didn't have a Switch then so that narrowed things down a bit.

Gotta say Nioh 2 seems a little underwhelming to me. My favorite part of the first one was fighting the human enemies and this looks like it is gonna be mostly the yokai as enemies. And being able to go into yokai form as a player doesn't appeal to me at all. Gonna wait for serious word of mouth for this one.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Excellent knews. They gambled launching a ps4 exclusive put it paid off bid time. Bodes well for ps5 support.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I loved this game and I'm glad people bought it. I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I liked it a lot better than sekiro.

Oct 31, 2017
I loved this game and I'm glad people bought it. I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I liked it a lot better than sekiro.
Nope, I agree with you completely. By the way, despite having beaten all the Souls games several times and enjoyed Sekiro last year I'm just now getting to Bloodborne. I've put about 8 hours in and damn what a game!

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Well deserved, my goty for 2017. I have over 400 hours spent with it, and I haven't regretted it once.