• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpartanForce

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
D8doYWN.jpg

Kings will rise.
One will rule.

"A Total War Saga: THRONES OF BRITANNIA is a standalone spin-off title focusing on a pivotal flashpoint in British history. The land is fractured following the Viking invasion and ambitious leaders are fighting for control.
Choose from one of ten playable factions to expand settlements, raise armies and embark on a mission to take the British Isles for yourself in our most detailed map to date."

Release date: 05/03/2018

POLITICS SYSTEM

CHARACTER SYSTEM

English Kingdoms – West Seaxe and Mierce

When Roman rule in England concluded, new kingdoms of Germanic stock coalesced in the counties now known as Northumbria, Mercia, Wessex, Essex, Sussex, East Anglia and Kent. The peoples of these regions came collectively to be known as the Anglo Saxons – a term which came into common usage in the 8th century in order to distinguish the English Saxons from the Old Saxons, or Ealdseaxe, of the European continent.

Broadly speaking, the Anglo Saxons existed between the collapse of Roman rule in the 5th century until the Norman invasion in the 11th century; the early Medieval period. Thrones of Britannia depicts the sweep of the British Isles from 878 AD onwards, when the Anglo Saxons were at their height.

Cultural Trait: Fyrd

In Anglo Saxon times, the Fyrd was a form of conscripted army composed of self-armed and armoured freemen, called upon to defend their lands when the need arose. One of Alfred the Great's many reforms was to better formalise the system, ensuring wealthy landowners contributed men and materiel.

To reflect the Fyrd system, the English Kingdoms in Thrones of Britannia may recruit additional levy units based upon the number of settlements they own. Over-reliance on levy troops carries penalties however – if too many are fielded, the populace will rail against excessive conscription and public order issues will arise.

Welsh Kingdoms – Gwined and Strat Clut

The Welsh Kingdoms descended from the Celtic Britons who occupied much of the island of Britain from the Iron Age, into and beyond its Romanisation in the First Century.

Not long after the Romans departed, the lands would come to be dominated by Anglo-Saxons who had arrived from northern Europe. Ironically, the term 'Welsh' derives from the Anglo-Saxon term for foreigner, 'wealas', which they applied to the native Britons. The Anglo-Saxons flourished and many of the old Brittonic kingdoms began to disappear.

The Britons who inhabited the Welsh peninsula were able to hold ground against attacks from the Anglo Saxons, Gaels and numerous bands of Vikings. These kingdoms were among the last bastion of Romano-British culture but there was a shift towards a more militaristic way of life in order to survive against these persistent invaders.

Britons also still occupied what is now southern Scotland. Here, the kingdom of Strat Clut, known as the Strathclyde Welsh to the Anglo-Saxons, defended their realm under constant pressure from Picts and Vikings.

Cultural Traits:

Heroism

Wales is a land of heroes. Earn heroism by winning battles, owning Welsh land and ranking up generals to gain bonuses.

Supplies
Gain additional supplies for armies in controlled territory.

Morale
Units fight with increased morale when engaged in battles in controlled territory.

Gaelic Kingdoms – Mide and Circenn

Gaelic culture initially developed in Ireland, their society built around a system of clans and chieftains. With a fierce sense of cultural identity, the Gaels developed distinctive music and artistic styles, and a strong oral tradition. They raided and traded with Roman settlements, and by 878 AD had expanded from Ireland to inhabit much of Scotland.

Further cultural change was wrought with the influx of the Vikings. Some raiders settled in Gaelic lands, becoming the Norse-Gaels. The Scottish Gaels would absorb the Picts to become the Kingdom of Alba – essentially setting the blueprint for modern Scotland.

For centuries, their military relied on skirmisher infantry; lightly armed and armoured, fast-moving and bearing javelins. However, they would adopt the weapons and methods of their enemies too, and over time their armies diversified. The Irish Gaels continued to focus more on the use of skirmishers and, after the Vikings settled, a new class of aristocratic, elite mercenary swordsman, or Gallowglass, characterised their forces. Heavily armoured and armed with great Broadswords, they provided a doughty defence. The Scottish Gaels focussed on developing good all-round sword, spear and cavalry units, as well as excellent crossbowmen.

Cultural Traits:

Loyalty

A powerful sense of cultural identity fosters fealty in Gaelic clans. All characters in Gaelic factions therefore gain a bonus to their loyalty.

Churches
Monasteries and churches are as much a part of the Gaelic economy as their religion. All church-based income for Gaelic factions is increased by 25%.

Legitimacy
Gaelic factions can earn Legitimacy in the eyes of their kinsmen. This improves the loyalty of nobles and family members, and spurs your warriors to fight with greater skill and conviction. Legitimacy is earned in a number of ways; through alliances with other Gaelic factions, from owning or vassalising Gaelic heartlands, and by unlocking key Technologies.

The Great Viking Army

In 878 AD, the Great Viking Army was defeated by King Alfred and faced a new life of enforced settlement in the east of Britannia. A bitter pill for the invaders to swallow, in light of their grand vision for a new Scandinavian kingdom.

The previous century had seen escalating Viking incursions across the isles. What began as sporadic coastal raids intensified over time as the Vikings began to glean the scale of plunder Britannia could offer. A sense of organisation crept into their plans, and in due course the Danes, supported by the Swedes and Norwegians, raised a great army with the intention of conquering Britannia and avenging the death of the legendary Viking warlord Ragnar Lothbrok, executed by the King of Northumbria in 865 AD.

Ragnar's sons led the Great Viking Army and made landfall in East Anglia that same year. The locals made peaceful overtures, offering the invaders their horses and hospitality to allay conflict. The army wintered there before setting off north towards York, where they were again paid off while establishing control of Northumbria.

Over the next 15 years the Vikings ranged high and low, from Wessex to The Clyde, conquering towns, claiming victories and suffering their share of defeats. The army was reinforced – and later divided – but ultimately endured until the Battle of Edington in 878 AD, where its leader Guthrum met his match in the young King Alfred and his West Saxon army. Bested in the field, his forces retreated in disarray to a nearby fortress. Flush with success, Alfred's men gave chase and laid siege. After a fortnight of starvation, the invaders surrendered.

Three weeks later, under the terms of his capitulation, Guthrum was baptised into Christianity and became Alfred's adoptive son. He and his men were allowed to return to East Anglia and settle – provided they kept Alfred's peace, of course.

Defeated, but never humbled, the Vikings seethe with an all-consuming rage. One does not cage the wolf without consequence…

Cultural Traits:

Settled they may be, but the Vikings haven't forgotten how to wring coin out of civilians. Great Viking Army factions gain bonus income from raiding and sacking.

Defeated by an English king, Great Viking Army factions simmer with a need for vengeance, and gain a morale boost when fighting Anglo-Saxon enemies.

The king of the Danes in Britannia must play a delicate game to remain ascendant, and find a balance between appeasing the English and his own men…

Viking Sea Kings – Dyflin and Sudreyar

After nearly a century of escalating raids, the Vikings left an indelible stamp on Britannia, altering the course of its history forever. Not least of all culturally, as many smaller bands of Vikings had settled around the isles prior to Alfred's defeat of the Great Viking army.

These smaller factions traded an existence of ceaseless conflict for a new life in Britannia, establishing their own petty principalities, intermarrying and ultimately becoming part of the warp-and-woof of Britannic life. This mingling of cultures, so emblematic of British history, helped create the rich melting-pot of attitudes, beliefs and language that has made the isles and their people so unique.

Some Vikings never truly settled however; their designs were grander, their hunger for conquest and greatness unquenched. These Sea Kings would continue their bellicose work, heedless of any decree from England's upstart ruler…

Cultural Traits

These warriors are born with oar in hand, ever afloat on a sea of opportunities. Missions will be issued tempting you to explore the points of the compass. Who knows what adventures – and plunder – await?

Why toil for yourself when others can do it for you? The Viking Sea Kings are adept at extracting tribute from other kingdoms, gaining unique bonuses.

The Viking Sea Kings are as at home on the high seas as others are on land. All their forces are immune to High Seas Attrition and Seasickness.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017

Jon at Many A True Nerd is enjoying it. I will definitely jump on this, just have to clear my backlog a bit.

OP
OP
SpartanForce

SpartanForce

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Let's make a list of steam nicknames for people from resetera that are jumping in to play online?
If there are at least 5 people lol.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I bought ToB and i'm waiting for warhammer DLC news the game to release. Obviously i got my urgency shift (8h to 30h) on thursday... i'm so unlucky.

If you still intend to update the OT i'd enjoy if you could put the leaders faces in the OT. If i remember correctly CA released images from each leader. Personally speaking i know little about this time frame, i know alfred the great but the rest of the leaders/factions are completely unknown to me.
Does anyone know if there will be DLC?

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the different mechanics they added to the game. Dansgaming did a stream of it yesterday and really liked it.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
On principle, I will buy every game that allows Ireland to conquer Great Britain.

So I'm in.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing a review copy of this, will be sure to post a link in here when it's up.

In the mean time, any questions?

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I've been playing a review copy of this, will be sure to post a link in here when it's up.

In the mean time, any questions?
1- how long do the battles last? (like attila or warhammer 2)
2- Are there new animations?
3- how are the charges between the different unit types?
4- are the campaigns unpredictable or do they follow a "common path"?
5- Does the lack of RPG tree make you caring less about the generals?
6- does the states mechanics matter?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
How different are the factions from each other?

I started with West Seaxe (Alfred) and haven't tried the others, although I have obviously fought against them. I doubt the differences will be anywhere near as big as Warhammer say, given the grounded nature of this game.

1- how long do the battles last? (like attila or warhammer 2)
2- Are there new animations?
3- how are the charges between the different unit types?
4- are the campaigns unpredictable or do they follow a "common path"?
5- Does the lack of RPG tree make you caring less about the generals?
6- does the states mechanics matter?

1. I'm still relatively early on, but I'd say around 4-12 minutes on normal difficulty. Depending of course on whether it's a siege or if the enemy has a much smaller force etc.

2. This one is hard for me to say as I never played Attila, and I assume that is the closest comparison for animations. A lot of the ones on the campaign map seem familiar.

3. Cavalry charges into the enemy's rear are as effective as ever, even with light scout cavalry. Do you mean just how they look or how devastating they are? No great changes here, as far as I can tell.

4. I had my hands full for some time at first, it's just now starting to calm down after probably 30-40 turns. There's more 'storied' events that pop up, thanks to the more specific time period. For example a Welsh vassal kingdom of mine up and rebelled out of nowhere and the pop up made mention of the specific man leading this rebellion etc. Also occasionally viking ships will appear off the east or south coast and you'll have to deal with those. Generally however it all feels very familiar to previous historical Total War games.

5. I actually care more about them as you have far more control. You can choose their wives, pick who gets to be governor for a newly conquered region, they have loyalty and influence ratings. If the former gets too low or the latter too high they threaten civil war. There are estates which get assigned to your king by default upon capture, if the king has five say, and the rest of your nobles have only one or two their loyalty will drop to dangerous levels until you even it out. It's simple, but a fun little balancing act. They can have kids of course who you can marry off and promote as they get older. Also there is a levelling system with your governors and generals. Stuff like improving campaign map movement range, unit replenishment etc.

6. Do you mean estates? If so see above, if not I'm not sure what this is?

I'm enjoying it the more I play, although again I never played Attila so a lot of the stuff in this I think is 'new' may be old hat for you guys. It took a while but it eventually takes on a vibe all of its own. At the end of the day it is just more Total War though, there's no escaping that.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really like the different mechanics they added to the game. Dansgaming did a stream of it yesterday and really liked it.

Can you give a summary for those of who haven't kept abreast of the dev updates? Early Middle Ages Great Britain isn't really my cup of tea, but if CA have made some substantial changes to the TW formula, I might be convinced to give it a shot and stomp some Viking heathen ass.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can you give a summary for those of who haven't kept abreast of the dev updates? Early Middle Ages Great Britain isn't really my cup of tea, but if CA have made some substantial changes to the TW formula, I might be convinced to give it a shot and stomp some Viking heathen ass.
One of the bigger ones is how you recruit troops. You no longer can spam troops to make armies but you have to select from a pool. In the pool, you can get a certain amount of troops depending on if you unlock them from certain buildings. Once you recruitment them, you get them instantly, but only a quarter of their health will be in the unit, so you have to wait to get a unit up to full strength.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm currently starting out as Dyflin. I was able to do 1 battle and end 1 turn after getting home from work before my son woke up from his nap and needed supervision.

Maybe I can play again in a few hours.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Debating on whether I want to play this or not. The setting is super interesting but I'm not sure the Total War gameplay loop is very satisfying for me anymore, which is unfortunate because I used to play the crap out of most of their releases going back to Rome 1.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Debating on whether I want to play this or not. The setting is super interesting but I'm not sure the Total War gameplay loop is very satisfying for me anymore, which is unfortunate because I used to play the crap out of most of their releases going back to Rome 1.
what are you tired off? And what was the latest total war you played?
I will be playing this weekend so feel free to post whatever you don't like so I can look out for it. I also always have broadcast available if you want to watch

louris

Oct 27, 2017
This could be really interesting with the limited land mass, I hope it gives me those good ol' Shogun 2 vibes when I try it.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I started with West Seaxe (Alfred) and haven't tried the others, although I have obviously fought against them. I doubt the differences will be anywhere near as big as Warhammer say, given the grounded nature of this game.

1. I'm still relatively early on, but I'd say around 4-12 minutes on normal difficulty. Depending of course on whether it's a siege or if the enemy has a much smaller force etc.

2. This one is hard for me to say as I never played Attila, and I assume that is the closest comparison for animations. A lot of the ones on the campaign map seem familiar.

3. Cavalry charges into the enemy's rear are as effective as ever, even with light scout cavalry. Do you mean just how they look or how devastating they are? No great changes here, as far as I can tell.

4. I had my hands full for some time at first, it's just now starting to calm down after probably 30-40 turns. There's more 'storied' events that pop up, thanks to the more specific time period. For example a Welsh vassal kingdom of mine up and rebelled out of nowhere and the pop up made mention of the specific man leading this rebellion etc. Also occasionally viking ships will appear off the east or south coast and you'll have to deal with those. Generally however it all feels very familiar to previous historical Total War games.

5. I actually care more about them as you have far more control. You can choose their wives, pick who gets to be governor for a newly conquered region, they have loyalty and influence ratings. If the former gets too low or the latter too high they threaten civil war. There are estates which get assigned to your king by default upon capture, if the king has five say, and the rest of your nobles have only one or two their loyalty will drop to dangerous levels until you even it out. It's simple, but a fun little balancing act. They can have kids of course who you can marry off and promote as they get older. Also there is a levelling system with your governors and generals. Stuff like improving campaign map movement range, unit replenishment etc.

6. Do you mean estates? If so see above, if not I'm not sure what this is?

I'm enjoying it the more I play, although again I never played Attila so a lot of the stuff in this I think is 'new' may be old hat for you guys. It took a while but it eventually takes on a vibe all of its own. At the end of the day it is just more Total War though, there's no escaping that.
thank you! This should make my pre order the right decision.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
With my main conquering army, I find it's best to have the stats of the general based around unit replenishment and sieging.
But you also need to keep an army in range of each vulnerable province to retake estates that your enemies occupy. only primary settlements in a region get garrison armies now. Enemy armies can now just waltz into smaller settlements and take them without a fight unless you've got an army stationed within.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
First time I've missed having a PC in years and will be the first game I play whenever I get one again.

Enjoy folks.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was expecting some kind of an upgrade over Atilla's graphics and performance... no dice.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Actually yeah I never played Atilla, for those who did is this game EXACTLY the same graphically? Or are there some improvements?

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I admire that they've went for the tapestry style artworkings of the era for the UI Icons, but it's a little off putting for some reason. As for loading times and the likes, I feel like Total War has always had poor performance in this area (especially the longer your games go on).

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
what are you tired off? And what was the latest total war you played?
I will be playing this weekend so feel free to post whatever you don't like so I can look out for it. I also always have broadcast available if you want to watch

The gameplay loop I guess, maybe I'm just not as interested in strategy games as I used to be. The battles feel a bit predictable to me once you learn the mechanics and the turn based elements of these games don't feel complex enough to keep me entertained.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Actually yeah I never played Atilla, for those who did is this game EXACTLY the same graphically? Or are there some improvements?
At first look (played 3hours) CA changed 3 things from attila:
- infantry models are very close to each other; This makes the units very dense and makes the fight last longer (since less models are hitting each other)
- Cavalry models are very far from each other; this increases the capability of the charges but makes the cavalry very vulnerable to get stuck if they charged into a high mass of soldiers.
- most animations have been deactivated, no longer will models do those 10-20 seconds kill/hit animations. This makes the unit be able to keep the models in the "shield wall formation"
For those that played attila those are the "major" changes graphically. Obviously there doesn't seem to have "copy pasted" units in another words every unit in the game that i have seen are very well done reskins.

My main "complain" (more like wish then complain) is the lack of new animations. the charges between heavy shield infantry lack the hollywood impact ; attila has a lot of good charge animations between infantry but they all make the unit lose a lot of models because the animation gets them off formation. It would have been more imersive if CA managed to handle those charges better.

The gameplay loop I guess, maybe I'm just not as interested in strategy games as I used to be. The battles feel a bit predictable to me once you learn the mechanics and the turn based elements of these games don't feel complex enough to keep me entertained.
If you are tired of strategy games i don't think this total war will bring you back. IMO if you like the massive battles of total war you should look at total war warhammer. The gameplay loop there is much more unorthodox because of several reasons:
- All factions have vastly different units. Here are some extreme examples: the vampire counts faction has 0 ranged units but their units don't rout. The dwarfs have 0 cavalry units, relaying instead on heavy ranged firepower. This makes fights between different factions force you to change your army composition.
- All factions have vastly different mechanics. This makes the campaign very different. Some extreme examples: tomb king units have 0 upkeep instead they have a limited number of elite units they can bring. The wood elfes have cities only inside their forest, every other settlement is a weak outpost.
- There is less of a rock paper scissor mechanics. while spear units will defeat some cavalry units there are a lot of monstrous/fantasy units that will through brute force be able to beat their counters. Imagine a giant , while a spearman unit will do some damage the AOE damage of the giant + the fear of facing such a creature will make short work of any non-elite unit.
- magic can make the edge in a close fight; if you have similar armies the way you use magic can be the deciding factor in the battle
- generals are not weak (there are exceptions). This makes winning even fights much harder as you can't easily "snipe" the enemy lord.

IMO those reasons make the campaign of warhammer very different from every other total war. The total war formula boils down to build cities- > build armies-> have a battle or 2-> conquer enemy faction; While warhamer doesn't shake that it makes it mroe satisfying since the way you build cities, build armies and the battles you fight will be vastly differently depending on the faction you choose and the faction you fight .

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Nice OT.

I like the game a lot so far, bought ot yesterday and played as the easy start( wessex), managed to conquer half of england and up my income to 20k per turn in my first playsession.

I like most of the changes they implemented, here some thoughts :

While i am by no means an expert, the battles seem as nice as in previous titles, though sieges seem to still be hard on the AI.

I like how battles are all affected by campaign map terrain, actually managed to lure a bigger enemy army into attacking me over a river, thus allowing me to win by using a chocke point.

Only having the central settlements as battles is nice, since it cuts the chore that cleaning up a weaker/defeated enemy used to be.

The campaign seems to be the most improoved as far as Historical TW goes, lots of unique mechanics that flavour the dIfferent factions, the family tree/faction stuff is also interesting, i especially like the estates system, and how i can use my wealth to build estates to make my governors and generals happy.

The expanded character skilltree is also cool, though i do miss the army skills(unless i missed them and they are still there.

Overall i like the game a lot, and it will definitvely keep me happy until more content for TWW2 or Three Kingdoms.

Now on to start my second campaign as a harder start with the one true rulers of Britannia(Wales).

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Don't look at the Steam forums right now for this game. It's a bloody mess. I would argue worst then the Rome 2 launch.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
So I am playing this for the past week.... Not really feeling it. The scope is so small, I've started 5 different campaigns and all of them went exactly the same. Not a whole lot of campaign strategy because of the size of the islands.

I am enjoying the real-time combat aspect. Can't really put my finger on a specific feature, I guess I like Vikings and the real-time combat gives me that feeling.

OP
OP
SpartanForce

SpartanForce

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
8NQcYKx.jpg

Hard difficulty. 15h+ spend but don't really feel in doing another campaign. I will stick to the online battles for now.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Review should be up tomorrow.

For now, here's some screens of the aftermath of a rather intense bridge battle. Looking forward to blood being added.

EDIT:

Here's my review!

While it may take some time to shine through, Thrones of Britannia definitely has an identity and flavour all of its own. Unfortunately, I'm just not 100% sure you get your bang for your buck here. If you're the kind of person who can never get enough Total War, and who has a keen interest in this period of the history then you'll definitely find a game worth your time. If you're on the fence, prefer Warhammer or didn't like Total War: Atilla, then this is absolutely a safe skip.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not certain if I really enjoy this Total War all that much now. I just completed a short conquest victory, and it felt far too easy. I really just accidentally won the game by seeking to totally eradicate an enemy kingdom that had declared war on me.

For comparison, when I completed short victories in Attila as the White Huns and the Anteans I felt like I accomplished something through careful management of my economy and careful military expansion.

The unit variety leaves something to be desired for me too. This was a complaint I had about Shogun 2 too, but Shogun 2 made up for it in many other ways.

I'll continue playing it and give it a proper go, but so far I'm lacking the special feeling of accomplishment I've had with previous TW titles.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
As somebody who put hundreds of hours into Rome II, Atilla, and Warhammer I and II, I'm not really feeling like buying this game is absolutely essential. Should I just go back to Atilla for a historical game fix?

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Eh...I think it's very solid and fun...but it's missing something. It's competently made, and I think the atmosphere is quite good, but...it kinda just makes me want to play Warhammer or Shogun 2. I wonder what that is? Eh, it's solid, and since it's only forty bucks, i would still give it a buy. Getting fifty to a hundred hours from it, which is very good in terms of value.

Still is it odd that i'm more excited about the new Lord Pack coming out in May?