• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
yBlZWS6.jpg

TOTAL WAR SAGA TROY will be FREE to keep on release day 2PM BST 13th of august. It will be free for 24h on the EGS. Below is the timer
FREE NOW! HERE

NOTE: Even if you prefer steam over EGS you should still activate TROY on EGS. The reason being that CA has the plan that their games and DLC would unlock in all platforms you have acess to. This means that owning troy in EGS could give you a steam version. This also means that you could buy DLC wherever it was cheaper as it would unlock in your platform of choice. This connection would be done in CA site total war access.
Don't forget that above is a plan and might not come to fruition.

Title: Total War Saga: Troy
Developer: Creative Assembly
Publisher: SEGA
Platform: Epic Game Store (1 year exclusive); steam
Release Date: Thursday, 13th of August, 2020
Price: Free 24h;
System Requirements
Reviews:
ERA Thread; opencritic 76
Official Social Media: Twitter

What is Total War?
Total War combines a Civilization-like turn based aspect with real-time battles. On the campaign map you build and manage your empire. Construction, unit creation, trade, diplomacy, taxes, and subterfuge are all done on the campaign map. When armies meet on the campaign map The game becomes a real-time battle where you can directly control your forces.

What is Saga?
Saga are smaller scale total war that try to capture a small conflict in time. The advantage of these types of titles to the costumer is that they are generally innovative and will introduce a new mechanics to master. These games are also generally speaking cheaper than the usual total war titles
Their main disadvantage is that usually have very small DLC support and they have less content than their main titles. Due to their innovations they also might not play similar to previous titles so if you want more of the same this might not be the title to look for.

Welcome to Total war Saga: Troy

Total War Saga: TROY focuses on the historical flashpoint of the Trojan War, heavily inspired by the Iliad. Troy's approach is to the conflict tries to navigate the thin line between fictions and reality. Using Illiad as the main source of information but modifying the most fantasy parts into a more grounded approach.
Experience the trojan war from both the greek and trojan perspective by choosing one of eight legendary heroes

Map
(haven't found a good map yet; will edit once i found a good one)
YzdTOVK.png

Unique features to Troy

New economic system - Unlike previous total wars, here money isn't all there is in terms of economic power. Resources such as Wood, gold, bronze,etc. will be needed to recruit units and some buildings. This bold approach will diversify on how you plan your conquests as it is no longer about who your weakest neighbor is but also who has the resources you need.

Deity favor - you can create favor for the gods with sacrifices and get boons; with the highest rank usually giving either a powerful hero or a Myth unit such as the minotaur. There are several gods to that you can off your favor to; with each giving different bonuses. Some legendary heroes are more in tune with a certain god.

Mythic Units - Famed Greek myth monsters with the behind the myth approach are represented as powerful units you can recruit. These "monsters" are usually single entity units capable of inflicting heavy damage. However they are generally locked to late game or certain regions.

Playable factions
Currently there are 3 unique playable cultures at launch: Danaan; Trojan and Amazons. Each culture as a few legendary heroes that you can play with. Each hero has a unique start, 2 unique mechanics as well as some unique units.
The base game gives access to 8 legendary heroes -> 4 Danaan and 4 Trojan.
Amazon culture DLC is free for a limited time on total war access. It gives access to 2 Legendary heroes.

Danaan heroes

mtFi8jj.png
The mightiest warrior of The Iliad, but also hot tempered and unpredictable; Achilles leads an aggressive faction heavily geared to war.
Unique faction mechanics​
  • Living legend -> challenge other powerful warriors for a duel. If they accept achilles leaves his army for the duel. If they refuse you will have to find that warrior on the campaign battle and beat him. As your renown increases achilles army becomes stronger.
  • Hot blooded -> Achilles is governed by his emotions. His mood will affect your campaign in positive or negative modifiers.

PDJHi96.png

• Vassals pay a tribute. You can also demand an extra tribute from any vassal. Abusing this however will lead to vassals raising up against you.
  • King of men -> offer political positions to other heroes. They will grant bonuses to that hero.

m9sZPRN.png

• Spies of Odysseus can build buildings in settlements belonging to factions allowing you to recruit troops in enemy territories
  • Coastal mastery -> coastal settlements get the full building tree. Land locked settlements are restricted to the main settlement building.

LbIXw65.png

• When you have an alliance with a faction you can recruit units from their roster on any territory but take longer to recruit VS local recruitment
  • Can colonize any ruin with LoS without requiring an army. The further the ruin is from your territory the more expensive it is to settle

Trojan heroes

eNcs27l.png

• Looks to build military and defensive alliances -> the more regions his allies hold the bigger the boons hector gets​
  • Priam's heir -> shared with his brother Paris. You compete with Paris doing certain tasks to try and get benevolence. Once you reach max benevolence you earn all the territory Paris and Troy control.​
2Tl5i9g.png

• Priam's heir -> shared with his brother- Hector. You compete with Hector doing certain tasks to try and get benevolence. Once you reach max benevolence you earn all the territory Hector and Troy control.
  • Helen -> Helen is represented on the campaign and bound to a settlement. She can move around but Paris can't be away form her too long without souring the mood of his love. She gives buffs to the settlement. She can be captured so be careful where you move her!
pvEkbhX.png

• Divine Omens -> Aeneas can participate in divine Omens that cost resources. Divine Omens give a mission which by completing it you can get a lot of favor from a god.​
  • Stygian Voices -> Aeneas can talk with dead heroes, including the game heroes. Each dead hero gives a powerful boon to your faction however the cults will suffer a penalty to your favor.​

6AXW7R8.png

• Lycian trade -> Sarpedon can influence other regions by trading with them. Once you have a certain level of influence with that faction you have access to new options such as requesting your precious resources from that faction's territory.​
  • Precious resources -> You have access to three special resources that only Sarpedon can use. You can acquire these resources by occupying certain regions. These resources will give you access to powerful modifiers.​

Amazon heroes ( DLC Release date: September)
Temporarily free on total war access if you link EGS account with your total war access account. I will update this section as CA gives more information about this DLC

Penthesilea the warrior Queen
3TJtyf3.png

Hippolyta
VKmW2Ob.png
Horde mechanics

Troy-Roadmap-JUL-2020-V2-1024x576.jpg
DLC content:
  • Amazons -> Adds the amazon culture tribes to the game. Read above for more in-depth features
  • Blood & Glory -> this DLC adds blood and some new animations to the battles
  • Ajax & Diomedes -> New warriors to play with. We don't know anything for now
FLC content
  • Mod Support
  • Artemis
  • Multiplayer launch
  • Hephaestus

Screenshots and videos

FAQ

Where's Arkantos?
Unfortunately Arkantos is still deitified and isn't, unfortunately, in the game

When will total war saga Troy launch on steam?
The exclusivity period is for 1 year. Expect it to launch on steam in august- september of 2021

This thread is about total war saga Troy and NOT EGS vs steam platforms. I'd appreciate if we all don't discuss those platforms here.

Pick up your spear and choose a side! Will you defend TROY? or DESTROY IT?
It is time for TOTAL WAR!

Last edited:

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hyped.

Love Total War and the art direction for this one looks stellar. Also, I need a break from playing non stop Warhammer 2 for the past year.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
I haven't played any total war games but, I'll definitly try this one considering its free.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
I'll never appreciate their approach to mythology and mythological units in this game, but I can't say no to free.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
I too need a little break from Warhammr 2 so I'll spend a good few hours on this.

Pumped!

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Sigh, I really wish I had the time necessary to learn these games. I've always wanted to try one (mostly Warhammer 2) but literally every video guide/tutorial I come across is just so convoluted and turns me off. I'll add this game to my library since it will be free and give it a shot I suppose.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Amazons claimed after the game is live? I thought it was a pre-order thing, but it seem like you have to link your EGS account to Total War Access. No idea how to do that though.

"For a limited time, Amazons DLC will be FREE for players who link their Total War Access and Epic accounts. Register below and opt in for more information."
www.totalwar.com

The Amazons - Total War

THE AMAZONS ARE READY FOR BATTLE Choose between two famed Amazons sisters and establish and expand your kingdom in the ultimate conflict of the Bronze Age. Available now on your preferred PC platform. Two Epic Heroes Choose from two iconic Amazons, warrior queen Penthesilea and her sister...

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Is the Amazons claimed after the game is live? I thought it was a pre-order thing, but it seem like you have to link your EGS account to Total War Access. No idea how to do that though.

"For a limited time, Amazons DLC will be FREE for players who link their Total War Access and Epic accounts. Register below and opt in for more information."
www.totalwar.com

The Amazons - Total War

THE AMAZONS ARE READY FOR BATTLE Choose between two famed Amazons sisters and establish and expand your kingdom in the ultimate conflict of the Bronze Age. Available now on your preferred PC platform. Two Epic Heroes Choose from two iconic Amazons, warrior queen Penthesilea and her sister...
DLC releases in September so we have to wait for more info
Hrm, so is Troy building on that hero system of Three Kingdoms then?
No!
It is closer to Rome 2/ Warhammer 2 style of game play.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Sigh, I really wish I had the time necessary to learn these games. I've always wanted to try one (mostly Warhammer 2) but literally every video guide/tutorial I come across is just so convoluted and turns me off. I'll add this game to my library since it will be free and give it a shot I suppose.
The games are relatively easy to learn at least for having success in the easy dificulty.
THis isn't a PDS like game where you have dozens of essential mechanics hidden in a menu somewhere.

If you take a look at wh2 OT the last page or so was talking about the magic system. Players with 100s of hours didn't fully understand the magic system rules but still managed to use it well in battle.

even if total war is your first strategy title i can almost guarantee that after 1 or 2 campaigns you will have a fine grasp of the game that you won't ever lose again in normal or lower dificulty.

If you also need help Feel free to post on the OT. The community will be glad to help. I think i will don some tutorial videos once i ahve access and some understanding of the game.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Thanks for the reminder. I made sure to pin it on my twitter just so I didn't forget it but had a feeling I'd absentmindedly forget anyway.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Hippolyta looks like such badass, damn. Not sure who I'll choose at launch though to start with.
I really wish i could play with amazons right now. I always wished for their faction since rome 1 secret settlement!

The only sad thing is they aren't a faction for the warhammer trilogy. If there is a total war game where i wish a faction filled of badass women can trully embrace their superiority it would be alongside my cute little skinks in warhammer

The limited time, and rumors of it being a pre-order thing had me thinking this might be the last day to get it for free.

If anyone want to know, it's in their FAQ at https://www.totalwar.com/games/troy/troy-faq/

Search for "What is Amazons?" and the instructions and website to link the account is there.
At first it didn't have any release date but they changed it when their wood elf blog came out. I will update the OT when CA gives clearer information.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
9 am Eastern unlock. Looks like I'll be starting work a little bit late tomorrow :p

No pre-load right?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Total War Saga: TROY focuses on the historical flashpoint of the Trojan War, heavily inspired by the Iliad. Troy's approach is to the conflict tries to navigate the thin line between fictions and reality.

Then right after that you mentioned minotaurs...

That's not really navigating the thin line, more like having one feet firmly planted on the fictional side.

Still, am interested, especially since they are also giving Remnant away.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Really looking forward to this. I'm been very happy with the settings selected thus far. 3K and now Troy both a huge favourite and dream on mine. Hector kind of doesn't look that good to me but the rest look how I imagine.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

www.totalwar.com

The Amazons - Total War

This worked for me: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/i7uouz/how_to_link_the_epic_store_account_with_the_epic/

No!
It is closer to Rome 2/ Warhammer 2 style of game play.
Ah interesting, I thought with the named units they were going there. lol

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
For whatever reason I couldn't see the "my account" thing in Total War Access.

Using the URL on this page posted by CA_James got me to where I needed to be so I could connect my account:
forums.totalwar.com

CA COMMUNITY

Official hub for Creative Assembly games. Interact with fellow gamers, learn about the latest features and earn your CA badges!

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Oh, its at 6am. OK. I thought it was gonna be midnight, so here I was with my EGS open wondering what happened....

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I love the focus of the Saga games. Britannia is my favourite Total War game because of that focus it allowed for.

Not sure how I feel about mythic units like the minotaur. Wish they'd keep that for Warhammer, and make the core games historically accurate. Can't argue with free though.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Free is free. And if I like it I'll buy it and it's DLC on Steam when they're cheap.
If you redeem the game on EGS you can have a Steam version as well? karnage10

Where did you find this?

It's the DLC you get through Total War Access that you'll probably have on Steam as well through account connections. This is a really smart move as there's a flux of user data between Steam <> CA <> Epic

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not sure how I feel about mythic units like the minotaur. Wish they'd keep that for Warhammer, and make the core games historically accurate. Can't argue with free though.

The version of the Trojan War CA are working with is based on Homer's Iliad, which is steeped in mythology and explicitly written as a story. There's not a lot to work with in terms of a historically accurate Trojan War, since afaik there's not a lot of evidence that it even happened in the first place.

For what it's worth though, the mythical units are not explicitly fantastical but rather a more grounded interpretation of them e.g. the Minotaur is a huge guy with an axe and a bull skull helmet:

urBfnAMdrExFB67xF2Lcob.jpg

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
I've been curious to jump into a RTS game since it's a gap in my video game knowledge and since I have a decent PC, it's about time I tried one. How beginner friendly is the series generally?

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've been curious to jump into a RTS game since it's a gap in my video game knowledge and since I have a decent PC, it's about time I tried one. How beginner friendly is the series generally?
Not very, from the few hours of TW: Warhammer I've played.

Anyone got a good beginner tutorial on youtube or something like that?

I'm not talking about "right click to move a unit" but something that goes deeper.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

It might be a little overwhelming, but it won't hurt to get it and try it anyway it's free after all. Also if you're looking into getting into these types of games the Age of the Empires 2 Definitive edition on gamepass is a good start or Command & Conquer remastered collection on steam. Or could go for Starcraft and Warcraft games for pretty cheap.

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Do you need to install the launcher or can you claim through the EGS website? Already linked TW Access with my EGS account.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Not very, from the few hours of TW: Warhammer I've played.

Anyone got a good beginner tutorial on youtube or something like that?

I'm not talking about "right click to move a unit" but something that goes deeper.
I recommend Party Elite's videos. While it's created for Total Warhammer games, some mechanics, systems, and strategies are applicable across Total War games.

Oct 28, 2017
I think this may end up being a very savvy idea.

TW games have always been rather impenetrable or out of reach for a number of people who didn't want to spend money on them to check it out. Remove that barrier on your budget title, and those people start to see the appeal of the campaign/battle gameplay...

... Then I'd expect to see a Warhammer 3 announcement in the next couple of months.