• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Haven't seen a thread about it so...

WHEN WILL TOTAL WAR: SHOGUN 2 FREE-TO-KEEP BE AVAILABLE?

You can download and keep Total War: SHOGUN 2 for free from Monday the 27th of April 2020 from 18:00 BST until the Friday the 1st of May 2020 at 18:00 BST. If you download the game for free during that time, it is yours to keep.
Here's a direct link on Steam for when it's time:
store.steampowered.com

Total War: SHOGUN 2 on Steam

Total War: SHOGUN 2 is the perfect mix of real-time and turn-based strategy gaming for newcomers and veterans alike.

Personally my favorite game in the franchise!
Keep in mind this game is from 2011, so you shouldn't have any issue running it on most computers (4Gb of RAM and AMD HD6000 gpu recommended).

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 is also free at the moment.
I don't like it as much as 1, but hey, someone will get some enjoyment out of it :)

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Shogun 2 is a classic so this is a great deal, good job letting people know Naga

No sale for Three Kingdoms or the Total Warhammer series though (shameful display).

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Shogun 2 is absolutely one of the highest points of the Total War franchise. Highly, highly recommended.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is cool. I always looked at this franchise as something I wanted to play eventually, yet I never really got around to it. Looking forward to giving this a shot, should do well on my new PC too.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Objectively the most polished game in the series, and the best historical title.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How does it hold up to three kingdoms? I love the politics and overworld management more than the individual tactical battles. Didn't like Warhammer 2 because I care more for the real world settings and the above point

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda embarassing that steam has problems with a giveaway while epic gives away 2 games every week flawlessly.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Mmmm So much fond memories of Shogun 2 (best RTS ever). If there are others Total Wars Games in sale, any chance I can play it on my old Surface Book (Gen1 without GPU) ? I guess not but hey, I can play LoL !

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, when searching Total War it says Free in the search bar, but then shows £24.99 when on the page, shows the same when adding to cart?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not free yet but will grab it when it is.

As a new PC gamer, what are the other Total War games I should check out?

It really depends on what settings interest you, primarily. The more recent games are Warhammer 1/2 (if you're into Warhammer, fantasy settings and/or big mechanical asymmetry between factions), Rome 2 (if you like the classical era) and Three Kingdoms (if you like that period of Chinese history, it's also a lot more focused on individual characters and their relationships).

As far as older games go, Medieval 2 and Rome 1 are classics, and Empire is janky but has some interesting and unique stuff.

Oct 27, 2017

The Warhammer games for the battles - it's got huge unit variety and is by far the most in depth, however the campaign map gameplay is hit or miss. Lots of DLC factions to pick from later on, but don't worry about getting all of them. Pick out ones you like on sale, and it shouldn't be too expensive. You can also play a combined map of both titles along with all factions/dlc factions (and the later 3rd title when that's released) if you own both games.
Three Kingdoms for campaign - This can also be hit or miss in the campaign department, but is currently the best in that aspect as far as I'm concerned. There's a lot of room to build a narative with your faction here, I would say diplomacy is actually pretty fun in this case, and battles are great too. Battles though lack variety, and that's a major sticking point for Warhammer players, because it can legit feel like a big step down.

Then you can go into whatever period you like I reckon. Here's just a further breakdown which might help:
Fall of the Samurai - standalone dlc for Shogun 2 - will be a comfortable change for you going from the base game, with guns and gunships being a big change of pace for the battles. Very Gun focused.
Empire - Again, has guns, but you can play more with army composition than Fall of the Samurai. Campaign map spans most of the world, so things can get very expansive.
Napoleon - More focused Empire centered on Europe, with some improvements gameplay wise.
Rome 2 - Europe focused, with some of North Africa and West Asia in the mix. This game has some in-depth faction mechanics that warrant a special mention. Lots of unit variety here. DLCs are generally quite good with some unique mechanics added in some cases.
Attila - Like Napoleon and FotS, but for Rome 2, this focuses on the decay of Rome, and horse archer spam! I personally really like this game, it's growth/food/climate mechanics, but it's an incredibly flawed experience that has very poor performance. I wish it got the same post launch attention Rome 2 did. DLCs are decent and have some new mechanics - one centered on kingdoms called Age of Charlamagne, one called The Last Roman Campaign, which is a very narative focused about the Roman expedition to retake Rome from the Goths. Avoid the faction DLCs however, they suck.
Medieval 2 - Europe focused but this time it's medieval! This is also the point where you're really going to notice the age, but this is also the game with the biggest modding community, which is why it's still recommended.
Thrones of Brittania - Very much an experimental game for Three Kingdoms that you will wear thin very quickly. Don't recommend this.

I'm no authority on this, but that's the best explaination I can give without really getting deep into each.

Also just a side note, none of the DLC for this game are really worth it outside of Fall of the Samurai, unless you really want a new starting position or, in Rise of the Samurai's case, a slightly different campaign that's very similar to the base game.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

i'm going to go against the grain and say there are only 3 titles worth looking at.

1. Warhammer trilogy -> this is by far the strategy game with the most content ever made. If you own more than 1 game in the trilogy you unlock a campaign that merges the map. This effectively means you can play all factions in a massive map. If you like fantasy and strategy games this is the games to get. Note that the 3rd game isn't out yet. You also don't need to know anything about warhammer to enjoy it
  2. 3 kingdoms -> this game manages to make characters and diplomacy alive. While in battle it has very similar roster between each factions the characters that lead your armies feel very unique. Each faction gets something unique and the unique characters are very memorable. IMO it is one of the msot roleplayable total war games.
  3. Attila -> NOTE this game is really hard. All the mechanics are made in way that almost makes expansion a bad idea. Alongside this the game pushes most factions into the Mediterranean. this game feels like a survivor mode for a total war game. It feels very apocaliptic with the huns burning europe to the ground, barbarians migrating from europe/scadinavia into iberia and africa, famine everywhere, plagues and endless war for resources. It is a very different expereince from most strategy games i ever played.
Shogun 2 would also be on top so do play that first.

Rome 2 and thrones of britania are good games but IMO aren't great. Both have severe problems that take me out of the fun. I'd skip them unless you really enjoy their period.

Napoleon is ok while in battle it is great it really lacks something special. if you want a "shooting" game i'd recomend fall of the samurai instead. it is the best line game CA made.

empire, rome and medieval 2 are a lot of fun but are plagued by lack of resources that CA had at the time. The path finding and AI are very very poor. I'd say it is required for them to be modded so that these issues aren't that apparent, even then you will probably fight against the game quite a bit.

shogun 1 and medieval 1 are very outdated. Their sequels are better in almost every way conceivable. I'd skip them unless you want to experience video game history.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Hope people enjoy it, it's a fantastic game, and in my top 3 of Total War games.

Still think it's lame that blood is considered DLC though, and it's not even on sale lol.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Really disappointed to see the downvote review bombing from trolls.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Any recommendations on which DLC for this game would be considered essential?
essential? none. The DLC either add a new starting position, new units or a new campaign.
Worthwhile?
  • fall of the samurai -> a new campaign focusing more with guns/technology vs swords/tradition. It is a great expansion.
  • The Ikko Ikki "warrior monk" Clan -> it is a completely different way to play the game.
Interesting?
  • Saints and Heroes Unit Pack -> give ssome very elite units to the late game. very unhistorical but a ton of fun seeing these small group of units defeating several ashigaru all by themselves.
  • Sengoku Jidai Unit Pack -> gives some more units for some factions. Gives diversity to a roster that is very very limited in the base game.
  • Rise of the samurai -> a new campaign focused in the early samurai battles. It play very similar to shogun2. it is cool for a different take on the map.
The rest are only if you want more content to the base game

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Shogun 2 was excellent. The only issue I had with it was the lack of unit variety.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've never played a Total War game but I've always been interested in this one because of the setting. Can't beat free so maybe I'll actually give it a go.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Worth noting that the (superb) Fall of the Samurai expansion pack is no longer sold as DLC, but rebranded as its own separate game, seemingly to tie in with CA's new "Total War Saga" sub-franchise. Reviews seem to reflect the rather sneaky nature of this move rather than the game's actual quality:

store.steampowered.com

A Total War Saga: FALL OF THE SAMURAI on Steam

Experience the dramatic conflict of samurai culture and modern weaponry between the Imperial throne and the last Shogunate in 19th century Japan.

It's still worth considering though, I probably put more hours into that than the base game.

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Worth noting that the (superb) Fall of the Samurai expansion pack is no longer sold as DLC, but rebranded as its own separate game, seemingly to tie in with CA's new "Total War Saga" sub-franchise. Reviews seem to reflect the rather sneaky nature of this move rather than the game's actual quality:

store.steampowered.com

A Total War Saga: FALL OF THE SAMURAI on Steam

Experience the dramatic conflict of samurai culture and modern weaponry between the Imperial throne and the last Shogunate in 19th century Japan.

It's still worth considering though, I probably put more hours into that than the base game.
Oh so that's why I didn't see it as DLC.
I prefer the main game, but that was definitely a fantastic expansion.