• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
8FC0iSP.jpg

Title: Total War: Three kingdoms
Developer: Creative Assembly
Publisher: SEGA
Platform: Steam
Release Date: Thursday, 23rd of May, 2019
Price: 59.99€ / 59.99$ /39.99£
System Requirements:
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: Intel i5-6600 | Ryzen 5 2600X
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GTX 970 | R9 Fury X 4GB VRAM
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 60 GB available space
Reviews: Opencritic (85 Top Critic Average ;92% Critics Recommend ); review thread

Introduction

Total war: Three kingdoms is part of the total war franchise. A series of strategy titles. For those unfamiliar with the series, Total War combines a Civilization-like turn based aspect with real-time battles. On the campaign map you build and manage your empire. Construction, unit creation, trade, diplomacy, taxes and subterfuge are all done on the campaign map. When armies meet on the campaign map the game becomes a real-time battle where you can directly control your forces.

Total war three kingdoms is set in ancient china 190 AD. The once glorious Han dynasty is on the verge of collapse, while the major yellow turban rebellion might have failed to destroy the Han dynasty but it has allowed for Dong Zhou to manipulate the emperor Xian. His oppressive rule has lead China into chaos. Several warlords are rising in power and forming alliances to remove Dong Zhou from power.

190 AD, in which the once glorious Han dynasty is on the verge of collapse. The new emperor, Emperor Xian, enthroned at the age of eight, was manipulated by the warlord Dong Zhuo, whose oppressive rule leads to chaos. New warlords are rising into power and forming alliances to start the campaign against Dong Zhuo. With each warlord having personal ambitions and allegiances constantly shifting, the champions that emerge from the everlasting wars will shape the future of China.

New features

Guanxi system – For the first time in a total war game, characters are now persistent thought the game world and have relationships between each other. Each character has 3 traits that define how that character behaves. Some require high titles to be satisfied while others are content just being with their friends. Not only will the traits of the characters influence relationships but also how the game unfolds, with enemy generals becoming friends or rivals. These relationships will make inter and intra-faction generals feel alive.

Spy system – This system allows you to send one of your characters to another faction. If the AI picks that char and uses them, you gain access to several new options. From line of sight to inciting civil war as well as defection. This spy system combined with the Guanxi system will make allegiances somewhat fluid.

Diplomacy – Total war three kingdoms possesses much more diplomatic options when compared to the previous total wars. From trading food, to a new coalition "alliance" going through marriage and threatening; these new diplomatic options will allow for more nuance between faction relationships.

Retinue system – Unlike previous total wars where you each general commands up to 19 units; In total war 3 kingdoms each character can command up to 6 units. Up to 3 chars can join up to make an army.

Dilemma – Each playable char has a series of unique events at the start of the campaign to represent their historical situation at the current start date.

Romance VS Records – Total war three kingdoms has 2 different playable modes. Romance mode will have bright colors and single unit generals that can beat hundreds of enemy troops. Romance mode tries to emulate the "romance of the three kingdoms". Records mode on the other hand will have a more realistic palate as well as generals having a bodyguard unit like a traditional total war game.

The Map
8xnsItz.jpg

Warlords are characters that aspire to become emperor. They are focused on achieving supremacy over others. These also play like a traditional total war faction.
Cao_Cao.png

Historically, Cao Cao was the founder of one the 3 kingdoms – the kingdom of Wei. In the start of the game he has two great officers, Xiahou Dun e Xiahou Yuan, and is branded as enemy of Dong Zhou. The initial dilemma of Cao Cao is around Tao Qian whom kills Cao Cao's father. It is up to you if you ride for revenge or prefer to gather your forces for the stronger enemies nearby. With the powerful Yuan Shao to the north, Dong Zhou to the east and Sun Jian to the south, Cao Cao has to use all his cunning and his unique manipulation mechanic to keep these powerful foes at bay until he is powerful enough to defeat them.

LuiBei1.jpg

Historically, Liu Bei was the founder of one of the 3 kingdoms – the kingdom of Shu. He is known as a benevolent ruler, capable of being empathic with the common folk. Even though he is part of the Han imperial lineage Liu Bei starts with barely any land in his control. With the help of his sworn brothers, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei, at the start of the campaign he will have to choose whether to help Tao Qian fight against Cao Cao or not. Tao Qian is accused of killing Cao Cao's father, should you help Tao Qian to prove your virtue you will receive Tao Qian lands when he dies.

Sun-Jian1.png

Historically, Sun Jian was the founder of one of the 3 kingdoms – the kingdom of Wu. Known as the Tiger of Jian Dong, Sun Jian is a skilled and daring warrior. His initial start is all about the imperial seal that Sun Jian found. Liu Biao requests that you return the imperial seal. You have 2 choices: return it to Liu Biao or fight him while allying Yuan Shu. With Liu Biao as a powerful foe in your northern border, this decision will have lasting effects on where you can expand.

But Sun Jian is not alone, he has 3 kids – Sun Ce, Sun Quan and Sun Ren. With the right guidance and protection, the young members of the sun family could become formidable warriors, maybe even surpassing their father!

Gongsun-Zan.png

Gongsun Zan is a militaristic minded commander. This means his faction is governed by military commanders instead of the usual administrators. His initial challenge is to choose between joining your friend, Yuan Shao, attacking Han FU or attack your rival Liu Yu. To overcome these challenges Gonsun Zan employs Zhao Yun one of the most powerful warriors of the three kingdoms. He also maintains a good relationship with his old friend Liu Bei.

Yuan-Shu.png

Yuan Shu is a decadent and extravagant ruler, relying heavily in his commanders. After his father's death by Dong Zhou he never accepted his brother's, Yuan Shao, leadership. Due to his personality he is prone to having antagonistic relationships as such he risks facing many foes without allies.

yuan-shao-description.png

Yuan Shao is a powerful and charismatic warlord that worked with Dong Zhou to defeat the yellow turban rebellion. As Dong Zhou became more and more ambitious and tyrannical, Yuan Shao refused to stand alongside him creating a coalition and inviting other local powerful warlords such as Cao Cao. At the start of the campaign he also considers his brother, Yuan Shu, as a rival.

Dong-Zhuo.png

(unlockable faction)
To unlock Dong Zhou you need to accomplish one of the following objectives:
  • Defeat Dong Zhou faction.
  • Become emperor.

Dong Zhou has become regent by taking advantage of the chaos created by both the yellow turban rebellion and the corruption of the Ten attendants. As a tyrant, Dong Zhou intimidates nearby warlords into subservience. He is supported not only by some of the best warriors of the time like Zhang Liao but also by the greatest warrior of the three kingdoms, Lu Bu. Unfortunately due to his corrupted and tyrannical persona most warlords are gathering to fight Dong Zhou, the main leader of the opposition is the noble leader Yuan Shao. Both Cao Cao and Sun Jian also have vowed to remove Dong Zhou from power. Dong Zhou has to balance between keeping the Han intact while defeating the warlords rising to take his power.

Governors

Governors are characters that are loyal to the han as such they can not declare themselves as emperor. To become emperor rank they need to conquer the capital of a faction that as achieved the emperor rank. The governors are characters that focus on playing tall. Their mechanics are geared to allow growth without needing to heavily expand their territory through military might.
Kong_rong.png

Kong Rong is said to be a descendant of Confucius, armed with his sharped tongue he navigates diplomacy with ease. His initial challenge is defending Qing province from the remnants of the yellow turban rebellion. Supported by Taishi Ci and his friend Liu Bei he will have a relatively speaking safe start since most of the powerful warlords will be aiming for other territories at the start. This means Kong Rong can use all his wisdom to slowly expand and improve his territory.

Liu-Biao.png

The traditionalist Liu Biao, governor of the king province starts as the overlord of Huang Zu and Cai Mao. These vassals protect his southern border. With his focus in knowledge, officers under Liu Biao will evolve faster. His initial dilemma is the conflict between Yuan Shao and Sun Jian. Yuan Shao demands that Liu Biao attacks Sun Jian to recover the imperial seal. The choice between angering the mighty northern warlord or the tiger of Jian Dong will make all the difference! However whatever path you choose the greatest archer of the three kingdoms, Huang Zong stands with you.

Ma-Teng.png

Ma Teng is very loyal to the Han even though he doesn't agree with the methods of Dong Zhou. He is one of the few factions that starts allied with Dong Zhou. Ma Teng governs the Liang province with Han Sui, his old friend. Ma Teng´s son, Ma Chao, although still a child, is already showing the potential to be a great warrior. Ma Teng's starting challenge is the civil war that erupts when Dong Zhou is defeated. The choice is between rescuing the emperor or biding your time as you become stronger by slowly expanding smaller opponents.

Bandit
Bandits focus in raiding and managing loot. Their tech tree is heavily connected to their starting position so depending on whom you chose and where you start your roster will give you different weapons. Alongside this they can offer their services to other factions serving as mercenaries for other wars. This faction is heavily focused in war.

Zhang-Yan.png

Zhang Yan is a bandit focused in guerrilla warfare. His initial challenge is choosing whether to attack Yuan Shao while he is fighting Gonsun Zan or attack the rival bandits to the north. To the south the bandit queen Zheng Jiang could be a useful ally or she could become a powerful rival.

ZHENG-JIANG.png

Zheng Jiang, the bandit queen, operates by subduing others and burning the world. She and her sworn sister, Lu Zheng, will need all the infamy they can gather to strike fear into the hearts of the powerful warlords of china. At the start of the campaign she has to decide whether to answer the call to arms from Zhang Yan against Yuan Shao or use that opportunity to strike your closest rival.

Yellow Turbans

posterdesign_HUANG-SHAO_01-1080x649.jpg

Huang Shao

Of all the remaining Yellow Turban leaders, Huang Shao is the one who is most loyal to the teachings of Zhang Jue, the original founder. Huang Shao starts with the loyal Pei Yuanshao at his side, a Yellow Turban veteran, and he's surrounded by formidable enemies – most notably Kong Rong, Liu Bei, and Yuan Shao – and you will have to choose to either lash out and strike first or play defensively and hold out until your forces are strong enough to slowly start expanding.

posterdesign_HE-YI-_01-1080x649.jpg

He Yi

He Yi is a charismatic and fanatical leader who has devoted himself to doing good and ending the suffering of the people. He Yi starts surrounded by a lot of powerful enemies – Cao Cao, Yuan Shu, Liu Biao, and Sun Jian. However, Huang Shao is a powerful potential ally and relatively close. Standing his ground can be tough, so it might be better for He Yi to flee elsewhere – perhaps south-east – to rebuild and gather strength for the rebellion.

posterdesign_GONG-DU-_01-1080x649.jpg

Gong Du

Gong Du's reasons for joining the yellow turban rebellions are more grounded in pragmatisms instead of religion like the other leaders. As such his guerrilla camps and unique stance make for an army capable of striking enemies very far away from home territory. With the veteran Zhan Kai at his side, Gong Du starts the campaign with several options to expand.

Additional payed Content

Free content
Dynasty - new game mode where you play only as one char. Up to 3 players fight against waives of enemies.
Yellow turban and bandits reworked into their own factions. These factions don't re-use han features anymore.
Dozens of unique new characters such as Guo Jia, Huang Gai, Jia Xu, Pang Tong ...
New free playable characters for the base game:

Patch Notes

PATCH 1.1.0 (25/06/2019)
PATCH 1.2.0 (06/08/2019)
PATCH 1.3.0 (25/09/2019)

FAQ
Do I have to pre-order to get the yellow turban rebellion?
No, buying the game in the 1st week still gives you the DLC

Will there be mod tools?
Yes, there will be mod tools in the near future.

Thank you to Danicard and Anno for helping me out!
Another thank you for the whole resetERA comunity for enganing with me over my favorite games

The empire, long divided, must unite; long united, must divide ; THROUGH TOTAL WAR

Last edited:

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
First game didn't go so well. Played as Gong Du. Everything seemed to be going fine then I ran into an ambush and got completely smashed. No coming back from it. So, I'm deciding who I should play for my second go around.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
I've put in 6-7 hours so far and having a blast. There is ALOT to soak in.

I'm playing as Cao Cao so its him and a general - any thoughts on whether it'd be better to recruit a second general, giving me one army with 3 leaders, or start a second army?

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Work up at 3 am to play and it was worth the shitty work day afterwards.

This game just feels so smooth compared to Warhammer

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they added more unique or make existing generic into unique as the DLC goes on.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I am having a heckuva time keeping track of which factions are where rn. Every time I think I know one, they change leaders and I lose track of it all once again.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I take it I should probably play Romance mode?

First time buying a Total War game at launch. Just seems to be getting too much praise.

This is a great time for PC strategy gamers, considering we've gotten what seems to be the best Anno and the best Total War in quick succession.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

First time buying a Total War game at launch. Just seems to be getting too much praise.

This is a great time for PC strategy gamers, considering we've gotten what seems to be the best Anno and the best Total War in quick succession.

Yeah, the generals are more pronounced, have more layers on Romance vs Records (apparently), I'm only doing the Romance mode.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I have little knowledge of this time period. Who should I start with?
Cao Cao seems like a good introduction from what I've played. He's also the recommended start.

His start gives you a lot of time to come to grasp with the various systems.

I'd recommend Romance mode, yeah. Just know that Romance mode is more Total Warhammer / fantastical-y, while Records is more like traditional Total War.

The game feels very geared towards Romance mode, given how much prominence the heroes and leaders get.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Cao Cao seems like a good introduction from what I've played. He's also the recommended start.

His start gives you a lot of time to come to grasp with the various systems.

I'd recommend Romance mode, yeah. Just know that Romance mode is more Total Warhammer / fantastical-y, while Records is more like traditional Total War.

The game feels very geared towards Romance mode, given how much prominence the heroes and leaders get.

Read the OP on the leaders of the different factions, each faction leader has different strengths

The game says Cao Cao is the easiest and is 'recommended' for new players.

I should add that I'm not new to Total War at all. I was just wondering what characters are interesting as I don't really know their place in history.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
Great OT!
Almost ready to leave work and start playing. Looking forward to unlocking Dong Zhou and having some tyrannical fun.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The narrator/tutorial lady has the most wonderfully dramatic way of reading every line. I love it.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'll keep my finger crossed for a Lost Roman Legion DLC, or something analogue to that.
They already announced what the DLC for this game.
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/business-practices-blog-three-kingdoms-post-launch-and-whats-next/

As any long-time player knows, we've a reputation for supporting our games post launch with updates, free content and DLC. We're planning for TW3K to be no different, with a dedicated DLC team having wrapped up the Yellow Turbans early adopter bonus and already hard at work on post-launch support. In fact they have been for some months now, learning from the years of experience we have in creating additional content and planning and integrating their designs with the main game.

We're taking a slightly different approach to DLC for TW3K; based both on the exciting opportunities the Romance of the Three Kingdoms source material offers us and the preference we know players have for larger DLCs which adds considerable new replay.

What you'll see initially for TW3K DLC are what we are calling 'Chapter Packs'.

We'll be taking notable chapters from Romance and creating new start positions that reflect their events. Adding a cast of new and familiar characters, features and objectives each time, that exemplify that chapter and the thrilling stories it tells.

While you'll find a selection of new heroes and villains populating each new chapter, you'll also see some familiar faces from the main game. However, they'll be at a different point in their life, and are likely to have a very different set of needs and desires at this stage in their journey.

In terms of 'size' of content, you can expect a Chapter Pack to be somewhere between a Culture Pack and a Campaign Pack. There will be a serious clutch of new playable factions and a raft of new mechanics to get to grips with in each, while you'll be playing across all of China.

Our hope is that, eventually, when you start a fresh campaign you'll get to decide where in the epic tale of the Three Kingdoms you want to dive in. Picking from a range of exciting scenarios and challenges that reflect some of the most remarkable legends ever told.
No Roman BS or anything like that.

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is my first total war game and I have no idea wtf I'm doing lol. It seems pretty overwhelming so far not gonna lie. Any recommended tutorial or beginners guide on youtube?

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently having troubles launching the game due to what I think is my antivirus deleting the launcher every time it runs, but it's still happening now even though I made the folder an exception :(

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I should add that I'm not new to Total War at all. I was just wondering what characters are interesting as I don't really know their place in history.

In other games, I've always played Liu Bei, he was a benevolent leader loved by his people and his 'brotherhood' with Guan Yu and Zhang Fei (two of the Five Tiger Generals) is/was legendary. Plus his advisors Notably Zhuge Liang (Hidden Dragon) and Pang Tong (Fledgling Phoenix) were top notch.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
This is my first total war game and I have no idea wtf I'm doing lol. It seems pretty overwhelming so far not gonna lie. Any recommended tutorial or beginners guide on youtube?

The Total War youtube page has lots of good stuff.

I started with Rome Total War in 2004 and I still get confused. Good luck and stay in the thread. The TW community is great

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Is anyone using the Chinese voice over? I dunno why, but I'm really enjoying it that way. Maybe because I like how Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon felt in the theaters (English subtitle)

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Dec 5, 2017
Really annoyed at the vassal swarms that two enemy factions are doing. Basically everyone I could go to war with is a vassal of some major power. Yet I can't make vassals because the game says I need to be king rank to do so.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
In other games, I've always played Liu Bei, he was a benevolent leader loved by his people and his 'brotherhood' with Guan Yu and Zhang Fei (two of the Five Tiger Generals) is/was legendary. Plus his advisors Notably Zhuge Liang (Hidden Dragon) and Pang Tong (Fledgling Phoenix) were top notch.

He was also great at baby football and a very polite cannibal.

RotTK is just the coolest.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
Zheng Jiang, the bandit queen, operates by subduing others and burning the world.
I love it lol. What an awesome and hilarious way to succinctly describe her purpose. I know who I'm playing.

I like how most of the leaders have starting dilemmas that add flavor and meaningful choice to the start of the game.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Negative, that doesn't negate the possibility of such a DLC, especially because that's their plan for the short term. And that's not even considering the expansion game that every historical Total War game have.
Sounds more wishing for something like that than anything else. Well, they don't say it, I doubt CA will have a "Roman" DLC considering they want to have a focus on China and the Three Kingdoms period as a whole. They already have a bunch of Rome 2 DLCs that focused on Rome specific eras of history and seems like adding more Rome stuff into Three Kingdoms would be wired and strange. We might get the equivalent of Rise of the Republic or Empire Divided in the future that focuses on China in different eras.
Is it recommended to read Romance of the 3 Kingdoms before playing this game?
No. You can play it without that knowledge.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I've never tried the Total War series out before, but I am a pretty big Dynasty Warriors fan and have always had a huge soft spot for the Three Kingdoms era, which is tempting me to give it a try. The fact that the game is so highly praised right out the gate helps with that.

Though I can't stop laughing on how it took a Total War game to get a playable Gongsun Zan. XD

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Really enjoying it so far. There're some UI issues and the unit variety is lacking but the additional depth to the campaign gameplay is great.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Sounds more wishing for something like that than anything else. Well, they don't say it, I doubt CA will have a "Roman" DLC considering they want to have a focus on China and the Three Kingdoms period as a whole.

You're not wrong here, the only "evidences" I could put foward is that there are some buildings in the game that refer to Rome and the fact that CA sponsored a youtube video that speculated who would win between Rome and Han China.

Also, although focusing on the main setting of the game is the norm for DLCs and expansion, Rome x China does have a very strong marketing appeal, and Total War has been moving towards a more fantasy approach. So a game that features both civilizations is not entirely impossible. And it could take many forms.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
It is not necessary, but I would recommend reading it anyway. Just the very first lines explain how Chinese scholars view life and death, achievement and loss, history and the world we are living. Time never stop flowing, just as the great river. Heroes eventually perish and our world still remains the same, and history become just stories for people to enjoy between drinks and laughter.
O so vast, O so mighty, The Great River rolls to sea,
Flowers do waves thrash, Heroes do sands smash,
When all the dreams drain, Same are loss and gain.
Green mountains remain, Under pink sunsets,
Hoary fishers and woodcutters, Along the banks, find calm water,
In autumn moon or in spring wind, By the wine jars, fill porcelain.
Discuss talk and tale, Only laugh and gale...

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Just wrapped up my first 6 hours, got much of central china conquered as Liao Bei, Cao Cao is dead.

Just making a note here, Zhuge Success.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong here, the only "evidences" I could put foward is that there are some buildings in the game that refer to Rome and the fact that CA sponsored a youtube video that speculated who would win between Rome and Han China.

Also, although focusing on the main setting of the game is the norm for DLCs and expansion, Rome x China does have a very strong marketing appeal, and Total War has been moving towards a more fantasy approach. So a game that features both civilizations is not entirely impossible. And it could take many forms.
It will be interesting to see at least. Rome and China did have contact with travelers and trade between them.
If you want to read more, here is wiki article about that subject.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Roman_relations

Carcosan Stag

Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
Is there a PC Performance Thread for this yet? Really wondering if my PC can handle this.. Really desperately wanna play it though because I lovelovelove the Three Kingdoms lore and setting.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Like most settings knowing the characters gives a layer of roleplay. Do note that total war games are very sandboxy so your game will at most follow the story of the book for a couple of in game years.

So you don't need to read the book to have fun with the game just like you can have fun with samurais without knowing who nubonaga oda is or like you can have fun with roman legions without knowing who Anthony is.
Just wrapped up my first 6 hours, got much of central china conquered as Liao Bei, Cao Cao is dead.

Just making a note here, Zhuge Success.
WoW! that reference/pun is so good!
Is there a PC Performance Thread for this yet? Really wondering if my PC can handle this.. Really desperately wanna play it though because I lovelovelove the Three Kingdoms lore and setting.
i'm playing with most settings at max with the exception of AA and reflections. @1440p i get between 20-40 FPS (battle benchmark).
Note that i'm not in the latest drivers so my performance might not be as good as possible.
My PC is [email protected] and a gtx 1700.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
how friendly is total war to newcomers? i havent played one since medieval but this looks really cool