• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
That's something i've never understood : "Virtual humans getting dismembered ? Cool ! Virtual animals getting the same treatment ? Gross !"

It's virtual entities getting dismembered in both cases. I fail too see how one case can be seen as less ok than the other.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
What did people think happened to the horses that charged into a spear wall or hail of arrows? That the rider died and the horse ran away to a peaceful life?

• Blood scaler: increase or decrease the level of gore to your tastes

Should be fun. Lu Bu's gonna be swimming lol

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
1.1 is out!

Download is 323.9 MB (English version)

Highlights

This update addresses a number of areas, many of which have been reported by players. Some major areas of focus include:

• Stability (reduced crashes)
  • Many battle AI fixes and behavioural improvements
  • Further tweaks to vassalisation rules in order to reduce Yuan Shao's vassal dominance
  • Improved tutorialisation
  • Improved UI with key tooltips added (e.g. Food breakdown)
  • Babies are now more likely to be born from marriages
  • UI can now be scaled up to 200% for 1440p (2k resolution)
  • Mousing over settlement names no longer causes performance stutter in the campaign map

The actual patch notes are gigantic.

I thought for sure this would release with the blood pack.

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
That UI scale change for 1440p is huge for me. Can't wait to play more this weekend.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Oct 27, 2017
I bought this since it was 10% off, but it turns out my laptop can't run it. Fortunately I'll be buying a new one soon-ish that hopefully can.

Anyway, since the other Total War games are on sale I figured I'd get another one to play in the meantime. Between Medieval 2 and Empire, which would you guys recommend?

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Personally preferred medieval, and i suspect your laptop will as well!

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I bought this since it was 10% off, but it turns out my laptop can't run it. Fortunately I'll be buying a new one soon-ish that hopefully can.

Anyway, since the other Total War games are on sale I figured I'd get another one to play in the meantime. Between Medieval 2 and Empire, which would you guys recommend?
Why not refund? (unless you are buying the laptop pretty soon)

Personally i prefer medieval 2. The battles are more "dynamic" and the campaign (as catholic) is a bit different. The expansion is also pretty cool.

My main problems with empire are:
  • The campaign map is horrible (colonial superpowers such as france for example have only one province...)
  • The battle AI is very drab since it doesn't focus fire on your units it means you can easily win any even fight
  • The battles are a bit boring with very little strategy (essentially 2 lines firing towards each other until one breaks)
The only really good thing where the empire really shines is the naval battles. Not only are they well done but are surprisingly fun and depth.

Do note that medieval 2 uses an older engine where while the melee is pretty good, ranged fire is not as good as new tittles.
Both games have really bad sieges with the AI having a really hard time to attack in an effective manner as well as the siege maps being filled with pathfinding issues.

Are those the only 2 total war games you don't have?

Oct 27, 2017
Why not refund? (unless you are buying the laptop pretty soon)

Personally i prefer medieval 2. The battles are more "dynamic" and the campaign (as catholic) is a bit different. The expansion is also pretty cool.

My main problems with empire are:
  • The campaign map is horrible (colonial superpowers such as france for example have only one province...)
  • The battle AI is very drab since it doesn't focus fire on your units it means you can easily win any even fight
  • The battles are a bit boring with very little strategy (essentially 2 lines firing towards each other until one breaks)
The only really good thing where the empire really shines is the naval battles. Not only are they well done but are surprisingly fun and depth.

Do note that medieval 2 uses an older engine where while the melee is pretty good, ranged fire is not as good as new tittles.
Both games have really bad sieges with the AI having a really hard time to attack in an effective manner as well as the siege maps being filled with pathfinding issues.

Are those the only 2 total war games you don't have?

Thanks for the writeup. I guess of the two I'd go with Medieval.

Yeah, I'm planning on getting that laptop in a week or two. Steam can refund within 2 weeks of purchase, IIRC? If I know for sure that I'll have to delay buying the laptop I can get a refund then.

I have Shogun 2 and Warhammer 1. I only have like 8€ in my Steam wallet, so Medieval 2, Empire, and Napoleon are the ones I can get without having to go out to buy a Steam card. But I might consider it if, like, Attila or Rome 2 are just that good. Not really interested in Britannia and I've had my fill of Warhammer for now.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Medieval II is super awesome. It has a really wide range of time which gives it some inherent unit variety. Plus the religion mechanics and pope are top notch. I'd love for Medieval III to be a remake with those mechanics plus maybe more subfactions (Burgundy instead of just France) or having to manage the election of Holy Roman Emperor with the Electors and Prince-Bishops. It's a giant game as it is but I can see elements from later games being real nice additions to a theoretical Medieval III.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Thanks for the writeup. I guess of the two I'd go with Medieval.

Yeah, I'm planning on getting that laptop in a week or two. Steam can refund within 2 weeks of purchase, IIRC? If I know for sure that I'll have to delay buying the laptop I can get a refund then.

I have Shogun 2 and Warhammer 1. I only have like 8€ in my Steam wallet, so Medieval 2, Empire, and Napoleon are the ones I can get without having to go out to buy a Steam card. But I might consider it if, like, Attila or Rome 2 are just that good. Not really interested in Britannia and I've had my fill of Warhammer for now.
Atilla IMO is one of the best (historical) total war.
What it does well:
  • Campaign is all about survival instead of just "painting" the map. Most mechanics heavily punish losing key provinces as well as being in the maps borders (Mediterranean provinces are usually better then most nordic/ central african provinces). It is also the only total war whose objective is *survive until year XXX)
  • Huns are an really effective end game threat, usually wiping most of europe
  • Campaigns are very dynamic with rebels being "true" factions; which effectively means revolts can happen and they become the "true" faction.
  • Battle Ai is pretty good with flanking maneuvers and harassing with ranged firepower.
  • Siege escalation (the more the siege lasts the more defenses will be damaged; the higher the city damaged the higher the morale penalty the defender gets)
  • Because of the above the Siege AI is relatively good
  • Cultures (specially FLC/DLC factions) are very different from the buildings bonuses to the campaign events. It is the first total war to truly introduce different mechancis to some cultures. For example huns are hordes, migratory tribes can temporally become hordes, some barbarian tribes have vanguard deployment,etc.
  • There is an in depth family tree
What it doesn't do well:
  • The UI is horrible, any non total war veteran will have a hard time learning the game
  • Very difficult start - 3 giant empires at the beginning of the game, huns, the ice age, civil war,etc. there are dozen or so threats that can end your game, playing the diplomacy game is essential as well as being able to manage your provinces well.
  • Brown/bleak palete (while it makes the game feel apocaliptic it also makes the game bland from high above the battlefield)
  • Naval battles are very unimportant because most sea titles are controlled by mighty empires.
  • Campaign heavily forces hunkering down so if you like to paint the map this game might not be what you seek
All this said, attila is an heavier game then shogun 2 so i'm not sure if your laptop can run it.
Lastly Atilla DLC are really fun! (viking DLC is the only one that is boring) From expansions where you control a roman legion as a horde as well as becoming charlemagne to culture DLCs that change the campaign quite a bit.

Oct 27, 2017
Medieval II is super awesome. It has a really wide range of time which gives it some inherent unit variety. Plus the religion mechanics and pope are top notch. I'd love for Medieval III to be a remake with those mechanics plus maybe more subfactions (Burgundy instead of just France) or having to manage the election of Holy Roman Emperor with the Electors and Prince-Bishops. It's a giant game as it is but I can see elements from later games being real nice additions to a theoretical Medieval III.

Atilla IMO is one of the best (historical) total war.
What it does well:
  • Campaign is all about survival instead of just "painting" the map. Most mechanics heavily punish losing key provinces as well as being in the maps borders (Mediterranean provinces are usually better then most nordic/ central african provinces). It is also the only total war whose objective is *survive until year XXX)
  • Huns are an really effective end game threat, usually wiping most of europe
  • Campaigns are very dynamic with rebels being "true" factions; which effectively means revolts can happen and they become the "true" faction.
  • Battle Ai is pretty good with flanking maneuvers and harassing with ranged firepower.
  • Siege escalation (the more the siege lasts the more defenses will be damaged; the higher the city damaged the higher the morale penalty the defender gets)
  • Because of the above the Siege AI is relatively good
  • Cultures (specially FLC/DLC factions) are very different from the buildings bonuses to the campaign events. It is the first total war to truly introduce different mechancis to some cultures. For example huns are hordes, migratory tribes can temporally become hordes, some barbarian tribes have vanguard deployment,etc.
  • There is an in depth family tree
What it doesn't do well:
  • The UI is horrible, any non total war veteran will have a hard time learning the game
  • Very difficult start - 3 giant empires at the beginning of the game, huns, the ice age, civil war,etc. there are dozen or so threats that can end your game, playing the diplomacy game is essential as well as being able to manage your provinces well.
  • Brown/bleak palete (while it makes the game feel apocaliptic it also makes the game bland from high above the battlefield)
  • Naval battles are very unimportant because most sea titles are controlled by mighty empires.
  • Campaign heavily forces hunkering down so if you like to paint the map this game might not be what you seek
All this said, attila is an heavier game then shogun 2 so i'm not sure if your laptop can run it.
Lastly Atilla DLC are really fun! (viking DLC is the only one that is boring) From expansions where you control a roman legion as a horde as well as becoming charlemagne to culture DLCs that change the campaign quite a bit.

Thanks, guys, I think I'll go with Medieval 2 for now after all. Attila sounds good but also maybe a bit hardcore for me. I'll definitely keep it in mind when I feel like something more challenging, though.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have a chance to try out the Blood and get some screenshots or GIFs? I haven't had the chance to try it out myself yet.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Anyone have a chance to try out the Blood and get some screenshots or GIFs? I haven't had the chance to try it out myself yet.
I have played with it a bit but don't have screenshots nor GIFs.

That said the coolest part? 2 new sliders! 1 to choose the ammount of blood particle and another for the amount of blood models get.
CA has released some videos showcasing the blood animations.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
There's a decent amount of interesting stuff already there.

Their blog post ended with them basically saying "No Koei mods" lol

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Meh, I lost interest in the game already. There's just not enough diversity, especially compared to Warhammer 2.
Don't think mods will change that.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
For the first time in the series, they've changed the AI algorithms for higher "battle difficulty" settings. So the higher settings fight smarter instead of just getting huge stat bonuses.

Unfortunately, they get stat bonuses too. So people who play on normal get fair fights against idiotic AI and people playing on very hard get smart AI with unfair superpowered units.

So, everyone should search for a mod called no AI battle cheats (sorry, on my phone, can't remember the exact name) and use it. Then turn the battle difficulty up to very hard.

As an example of the changes, the AI will no longer waste all its ranged ammo at generals or the invulnerable "turtle formation", and seems a bit better at holding its generals back.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
For the first time in the series, they've changed the AI algorithms for higher "battle difficulty" settings. So the higher settings fight smarter instead of just getting huge stat bonuses.

Unfortunately, they get stat bonuses too. So people who play on normal get fair fights against idiotic AI and people playing on very hard get smart AI with unfair superpowered units.

So, everyone should search for a mod called no AI battle cheats (sorry, on my phone, can't remember the exact name) and use it. Then turn the battle difficulty up to very hard.

As an example of the changes, the AI will no longer waste all its ranged ammo at generals or the invulnerable "turtle formation", and seems a bit better at holding its generals back.
Oh wow, this is a big change. I had no idea.

Thanks for the heads up!

Saucepan Man

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks, been waiting for this kind of mod.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
new beta update for 3k. sega korea also leaked that the next DLC will be about the eight princes with 8th august release date. More info should be coming today. CA just can't stop the leaks...

Best changes
IMPROVED FEATURES
  • We've added the ability view the family trees for all factions. This feature is accessible from the Family Tree tab, where you'll find a new menu on the right-hand side
    • Use this feature to work out where to disrupt an inheritance line, check on which factions have marital bonds, or keep an eye on your adopted spy
    • Please note that, as per their playstyle, Yellow Turbans don't have family trees
  • Satisfaction now has more importance. Your court having an overall high or low satisfaction now results in the following faction-wide bonuses or debuffs:
    • High Satisfaction overall: Lower corruption and more supplies
    • Low Satisfaction overall: Slower XP gain, less military supplies, and higher corruption
    • You'll find your overall satisfaction level in the top left-hand corner, underneath the court and diplomacy icons
  • The gender of newborn babies is now accurately weighted to 50/50
    • This should make it easier to continue family lines and to organise marriages in the mid to late game
  • You can now arrange marriage for any single members of your court
    • This costs 4000 gold each time and can be performed on any court members, family or not
  • There will now be more historical and fewer random characters spawning into the world
  • We've made some visual improvements to Sun Ren and Zheng Jian's face models
BUG FIXES
  • You will no longer get an Untrustworthy penalty when protecting vassals
  • AI will not retreat while in Forced March stance
  • You now won't take attrition damage on the same turn as being besieged
  • The AI are no longer able to attack other factions (and you) while in Forced March
  • To more accurately mirror their historical counterparts, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei will no longer betray their sworn brother, Liu Bei
    • Alongside this, Guan Yu will never betray anyone

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

Also have the first Chapter Pack DLC announced.

• New campaign set 100 years after the Three Kingdoms period began
  • Eight new playable princes with substantially different playstyles…
  • Supported by unique buildings, assignments and court options
  • New elite units: pummel your foe with mighty cataphracts!
  • Shape your faction development with four new alignments: Wealth, Spirit, Might, and Mind
  • Key public order and faction-rank changes to reflect this unique conflict

The year is 291 CE, and a generation has passed since the tumultuous events of the Three Kingdoms period began. Despite the tripartite division of power which brought the conflict to a stalemate, and the brief unification of the kingdoms under the Jin dynasty, civil war is no more than a heartbeat away.

For the Jin is a dynasty divided. Its many ruling princes are hungry for greater power, each with ambitions – and methods – of their own. Eight stand above all others… will they rally to their emperor and empress? Or carve a legacy for themselves that will echo through the ages?

The Eight Princes Chapter Pack is set 100 years after the events of Total War: THREE KINGDOMS, and features a new cast of playable factions led by the foremost princes of the Jin Dynasty. These Eight Princes offer feature substantially different campaign mechanics, focussing their playstyles in fascinating and unique ways

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So on the blog they say they will anounce the FLC 1st of august. I hope the FLC is more chars and unique portraits for the base game.

I wonder that if the 3 kingdoms main campaign lasts long enough can the 8 princes appear in the base game?
Also why is the DLC just 10€?

I wonder how many unique chars will there be in the new campaign. I hope it is not just the 8 princes and the empress.

I liked the base game, I wish this DLC released today!

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I imagine the DLC campaign is relatively cheap since they can just re-use the same map from the main campaign. Though I'm not particularly familiar with the 8 Princes so maybe it wasn't quite as far reaching as the Three Kingdoms conflicts.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I imagine the DLC campaign is relatively cheap since they can just re-use the same map from the main campaign. Though I'm not particularly familiar with the 8 Princes so maybe it wasn't quite as far reaching as the Three Kingdoms conflicts.
Other games did have similar maps and were priced higher. example empire divided for rome 2 costs 16€. Uses the base game map (through with some changes). I don't think it adds any new units (just reskins). It does have a few events but i don't think they are worth 6€ more.

From my understanding of wikipedia, the 8 princes is the defeat of the kingdom of Jin which was the kingdom that won the 3 kingdoms era. I hope someone more knowledgeable can give more info.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
They said that Chapter Packs would be somewhere between the scope of a full campaign pack from Rome 2 and a culture pack, and this price is between them as well. So presumably the scope is less than that of some of those? I'm not entirely sure what that means though since I never played any of them.

They've set some very high bars with the TWW DLC and even the Yellow Turban pack, so I've no real reason to think this won't be a lot of content even for $8. Putting out crazy amounts of patches and free content alongside their DLC seems to be working very well.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
They said that Chapter Packs would be somewhere between the scope of a full campaign pack from Rome 2 and a culture pack, and this price is between them as well. So presumably the scope is less than that of some of those? I'm not entirely sure what that means though since I never played any of them.

They've set some very high bars with the TWW DLC and even the Yellow Turban pack, so I've no real reason to think this won't be a lot of content even for $8. Putting out crazy amounts of patches and free content alongside their DLC seems to be working very well.

I mean, it sounds like we'll be getting eight playable characters for this, which is nice. Dunno if this will impact the main game though. Maybe the FLC will be the addition of a Sima faction for the normal gameplay?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
If all of the DLCs will just be new campaigns that can't interact with the base game at all, that's kinda killing my interest in them. I was hoping you'd be able to move through eras, sort of like Crusader Kings 2, with things weighted to fall into 'historical' norms, even if not set in stone.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Up until attila most DLC were reskins, a new starting position, a hybrid roster, a new map and 1 or 2 special mechanics. This pack, from what has been anounced seems similar to packs like ceaser in gaul; So i'm suprised at CA's low price.

I mean, it sounds like we'll be getting eight playable characters for this, which is nice. Dunno if this will impact the main game though. Maybe the FLC will be the addition of a Sima faction for the normal gameplay?
why are you getting my hopes up! Sima Yi is my third favorite char so now i really want a sima start!

If all of the DLCs will just be new campaigns that can't interact with the base game at all, that's kinda killing my interest in them. I was hoping you'd be able to move through eras, sort of like Crusader Kings 2, with things weighted to fall into 'historical' norms, even if not set in stone.
I assume that most payed content might not always expand the base campaign. FLC (which hasn't been announced) should add more content to the base game; so there is still hope.
I too would prefer if the content was expanding the base game, from increasing map size (adding korea) or increase factions or even just portraits. I'd be up for those types of DLC.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I'd actually be pretty interested if this was the Vortex campaign to the ME that is the base game. That is, something shorter and more focused. Sometimes I don't really want to commit to some huge mega campaign.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I'd actually be pretty interested if this was the Vortex campaign to the ME that is the base game. That is, something shorter and more focused. Sometimes I don't really want to commit to some huge mega campaign.

I was thinking this as well. If this is a vortex style campaign, I am so down with this. Plus, The 8 Prince Era is super interesting. It's a bunch of bastards trying to one up each other with an evil hybrid of Tywin and Cersei shit stirring.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
My Gongsun Zan campaign was going well but I wanted a reset after some of the patches and follow the story so I started a new Cao Cao campaign. Going well so far, Sun Jian is already dead from an event which I didn't know would trigger.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
So I've never played a Total War game but I've managed to conquer most of the northwest map by defeating Kong Rong, Huang Shao, and some of the other smaller players. However, while I was doing this, Yuan Shao was able to vassalize Cao Cao and Yuan Shao was gonna be my next target. If I attack Yuan Shao, is Cao Cao gonna end up declaring war on me? Not sure I can handle a two front war....

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So I've never played a Total War game but I've managed to conquer most of the northwest map by defeating Kong Rong, Huang Shao, and some of the other smaller players. However, while I was doing this, Yuan Shao was able to vassalize Cao Cao and Yuan Shao was gonna be my next target. If I attack Yuan Shao, is Cao Cao gonna end up declaring war on me? Not sure I can handle a two front war....
Cao Cao is likely just biding his time until he can betray his master, but he will wait until Yuan Shao is weak, or maybe overextended, before striking.

You'll probably have to fight both, especially if Cao Cao was recently vassalised.

Oct 27, 2017
Doing a Sun Jian campaign and I think I'm doing pretty well; halfway from duke to king with a large chunk of territory south of the Yangtze. North of the river I have Runan and Xianyang(?) after wiping out Liu Biao and He Yi. I was in a coalition with Yuan Shu until Shao vassalized him, then I declared war on him and Shao dropped him like a sack of potatoes. So now I'm just gobbling up his commanderies and trading them to my vassal. Looking at the other warlords I'll probably have to go against Yuan Shao and Liu Bei in the endgame. Shao has a ton of vassals now and Bei pretty much controls the eastern coast.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a nice chunk of land in my Cao Cao campaign and I incited a proxy war between Liu Bei and Yuan Shao, the number 1 and number 2 powers. That should occupy my eastern border while I expand over some of the weaker territories to the south and west. I have tons of food but I need money. I might start supply food to others who are low. The AI seems to get in the negative pretty easily so I'll have plenty of options to set up deals.

The biggest thorn right now is Lu Bu and his stack have entered my territory. I might be able to destroy his army but it will be quite the fight. My full stack is right on him so I think I need to weaken him in a defense. He's going to try to take my farmland but I think at least one of them can put up a decent defense. After that my full stack can try to finish the job. I don't think any of my people can beat him in a duel at this point so I might have to kite him around while I mop up his army. Him and his heavy cav unit are the only real threats. I can mop up the rest.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Cao Cao is likely just biding his time until he can betray his master, but he will wait until Yuan Shao is weak, or maybe overextended, before striking.

You'll probably have to fight both, especially if Cao Cao was recently vassalised.

Well it resolved itself haha. As I was prepping my armies he declared war on Yuan Shao and then I made a mad dash for Ye to get to them before Cao Cao