• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RC0101

Oct 27, 2017
Won my first couple of battles, got cocky, and then got rocked. Great game so far! Still feel a little lost overall but having fun.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I'm glad they went with the Shogun 2 approach of somewhat compensating for a limited unit roster by making them super R/P/S in application. Like getting some shock cav into any unarmored infantry that isn't braced spears just deletes that unit, but if they are braced your cav can vanish shockingly fast.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
There are a lot of buildings, so it might take some time to learn what's best. In general, you should think about what you need at the moment. Are you good food, then don't build more food producing buildings (yellow I think). Are you at war and need to field a bigger and better army, build red buildings. Need more money, build income buildings. It's more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.

Soldiers take several turns to arrive to your army. The number of turns is based on character skills, reforms etc. If you hover over the green + you can see how many turns until full. Same goes for replenishment.

Thank you, glad I'm not totally missing the boat with the troops!

I'm completely blown away by the quality of the Chinese text and voice over in this game. Most of the Chinese text and voice over are written in Classical Chinese(old Chinese). Everything sounds spot on. The research team did a heck of a job.

Yeah I really love when they get these kinds of things right.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Game Debate is pretty good for what you want to optimize graphically.

https://www.game-debate.com/news/27...nt-graphics-options-every-setting-benchmarked

_id1558362215_343178.png

Oh, that's a great graph! I did a bunch of benchmarking yesterday and came up with similar results.

On my 1070 and 6700K, I use the Ultra preset with a few changes: unit size moved up to Ultra, shadows reduced to High, grass detail to High, depth of field Off (just don't enjoy the DoF). Gives me ~75fps in the battle benchmark. Reducing a few of the settings as I did lets me up the unit size and still come out with extra performance on top.

Good to know that trees doesn't offer much performance hit, because reducing it from Ultra makes the pop-in quite jarring.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
It is not necessary, but I would recommend reading it anyway. Just the very first lines explain how Chinese scholars view life and death, achievement and loss, history and the world we are living. Time never stop flowing, just as the great river. Heroes eventually perish and our world still remains the same, and history become just stories for people to enjoy between drinks and laughter.
Like most settings knowing the characters gives a layer of roleplay. Do note that total war games are very sandboxy so your game will at most follow the story of the book for a couple of in game years.

So you don't need to read the book to have fun with the game just like you can have fun with samurais without knowing who nubonaga oda is or like you can have fun with roman legions without knowing who Anthony is.
My PC is [email protected] and a gtx 1700.
No it's not necessary, but it definitely lends to the flavor when you see your favorite characters come alive on screen.

Thank you all!

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
I'm finding myself having a much easier time with real time battles than with previous total war titles. I'm regularly getting much better results than the auto-resolve option than I did in Shogun 2.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
someone help me, how do you turn the advisor back on? (the top right circle with the character in it that tells you what to do). I am a bit rusty (haven't played a Total War game since Shogun 2) and I clicked the X thinking thiat'd clear the big pop ups beside the portrait but nope, it closed the whole advisor thing.

Now I can't seem to figure out how to get it back, put advice on high, reloaded an older save, nothing...

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
someone help me, how do you turn the advisor back on? (the top right circle with the character in it that tells you what to do). I am a bit rusty (haven't played a Total War game since Shogun 2) and I clicked the X thinking thiat'd clear the big pop ups beside the portrait but nope, it closed the whole advisor thing.

Now I can't seem to figure out how to get it back, put advice on high, reloaded an older save, nothing...
Should be in show menu under advice - none/low/high.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Is the in-game encyclopedia available online? I'm not at home right now but I'd like to look some stuff up. I know it opens in the Steam Browser so it's gotta be somewhere, right?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Zheng Jiang's start is brutal. You have no territory and a severe rivalry within your faction on turn 1.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Should be in show menu under advice - none/low/high.

yea it's set to high but the advisor at the top right isn't there anymore and doesn't say anything since I clicked x to close it, no matter what I set tihe advice to it doesn't show up again and I can't find out how you re-open that advisor panel.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm set to Large units right now but I might set it to Ultra. My setup handled the benchmark really well so I'm not worried about performance. I'd have to start the campaign over but whatever, I was only two hours in. I think my setup could handle extreme but it's the gameplay ramifications that stop me. It just looks so unwieldy lol.

This game feels a lot more optimized than the Warhammer ones though I guess there are no magic effects in the benchmark (do fire arrows take their place?). Really impressed.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
How do you have characters marry?
You can arrange a marriage into your faction or out of your faction. If a faction asks to marry one of your generals etc they will move to that faction. If you ask another faction to marry one of your generals etc they will join you. So don't give away your best generals!

Last edited:

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
yea it's set to high but the advisor at the top right isn't there anymore and doesn't say anything since I clicked x to close it, no matter what I set tihe advice to it doesn't show up again and I can't find out how you re-open that advisor panel.
That's odd. May have found a bug. Been playing for hours and advisor is still there for me. Maybe changing advisor voice to Chinese audio advisor in audio options?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realise how bloodthirsty Zheng Jiang was. Her campaign has a really different feel from Cao Cao's.
That's odd. May have found a bug. Been playing for hours and advisor is still there for me. Maybe changing advisor voice to Chinese audio advisor in audio options?
Yeah, it sounds like a bug to me, too. I've dismissed a pop-up and had it show up later. (And show the same tutorials in new campaigns.)

Stiler Is there an option to reset tutorials somewhere? That might do the trick. I'll check for it next time I'm in game.

Oct 28, 2017
There's a pretty nasty bug that greys out the diplomacy option and prevents you from using it, you can't even choose to negotiate from the characters submenu.

Unfortunately I've been hit with it from the beginning of my Sun Jian campaign. Hopefully they fix it fast.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Spent about 2 hours playing before taking a break. It's the first time I've ever really sat down with a Total War game so it's fairly overwhelming but I'm still enjoying it.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'll start a new campaign. I've played a good chunk of Cao Cao's. I solidified my position and was moving to claim the former capital/spark a war with Yuan Shu. Suddenly, Dong Zhuo was displaced and lost vassalage of the Han. I had a mission to seek peace, so said "why not, the rest of this supposed coalition already did", but lol they were VERY open to being vassals. Boom, major bump to cash flow and potential territory with none of the consequences.

The next turn I really learned how broken using intrigue to start a proxy war is. Chance my arm starting a war between Liu Bei and Yuan Shao, which gave me +40 leverage (or something close to that), which was more than enough to vassalize him and get a big chunk of regular cash out of him. Seriously, this needs a patch. It's a great ability, but it should be treated the same as a request to a coalition, ie the target will either take it, demand incentives, or just not. I need to just not abuse that because damn was that a strong couple turns.

So yeah, half of China are my vassals (central band from one side, nearly to the other). I can Annex whenever I want and immediately get Liu Bei/Zhang Fei/Guan Yu added to my roster, along with huge swathes of territory.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Weird bug: you can't overwrite save games. It will work normally, but create a new save with a generic name when you go back into the menu.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to pull the trigger on this but I haven't been able to get in to a Total War game even though I should love it. I get overwhelmed by the Civ-like aspect. This game looks amazing though.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very curious about the later campaigns. Do we get characters like Jiang Wei, Deng Ai, Zhong Hui and the like? The game seems very focused on the early campaigns, and not much on the later stages when it truly becomes 3 kingdoms.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
This game is... too much. The UI isn't very intuitive, tbh. So much stuffs thrown at you. is there a tech tree in this game for me to look at? The reform I want need this farming upgrade, but I don't know how to get there. Gonna restart the game again. Overwhelmed by the various set back, but my pride prevents me from lowering the difficulty as the game pop-ups so insultingly suggested me, lol.
The dificulty is just bonuses for the AI and penalties for the player. Feel free to reduce it.

Should I start a new army or keep adding to my current one? I usually like to form a conquering army and a defensive one though sometimes the defensive one has little to do. Also any info on spies and stuff?
Personaly i think having at elast a 17-21 army is a must. To deal with strong enemies + garrisons. I also don't really like a defensive army, if an army is not engaging in battle you are wasting that upkeep. I prefer to lose a city then having to pay an army for 20-30 turns for the possibility of an attack. The money of those 30 turns can pay for a lot of stuff.

I'm set to Large units right now but I might set it to Ultra. My setup handled the benchmark really well so I'm not worried about performance. I'd have to start the campaign over but whatever, I was only two hours in. I think my setup could handle extreme but it's the gameplay ramifications that stop me. It just looks so unwieldy lol.

This game feels a lot more optimized than the Warhammer ones though I guess there are no magic effects in the benchmark (do fire arrows take their place?). Really impressed.
extreme units are just slighly bigger then shogun 2. In shogun 2 yari had 200 models, here militia has 240 models. In terms of gameplay it doesn't change taht much from ultra. It sure makes the battles feel much larger.
How do you have characters marry?
2 options:
  1. In your court you need to have a free lady and a free man. (choose the one you want to marry and the option appears in the lower left corner; it costs 2000)
  2. Outside of your faction you need to find a faction that is available for marriage and convince them to do it.

I really want to pull the trigger on this but I haven't been able to get in to a Total War game even though I should love it. I get overwhelmed by the Civ-like aspect. This game looks amazing though.
This game has a much deeper civ-like then all other total wars. If the campaign is what bothers you i'd recomend warhammer total war where the campaign is much simpler.

Does "missile defense" mean defense against archers or towers or both???
Missile defense is damaged reduction against arrows which should include towers. It won't protect from artillery.
How's performance so far ? Is it inconsistent like previous Total Wars
For me it does 30-40 FPS almost everything at max @1440p.
I have a I7-6700k @4.0 Ghz and a gtx 1070.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
How does ambushing work. In the Koei ROTK games, ambushing is handled very inelegantly. You can never really pull off the kind of ambushes described in the novel.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Has CA mentioned how difficulties work? Normal difficulty sure seems like the AI is shackled sometimes.

e.g. my situation. I am Cao Cao, and Wang Lang declared war on me. My primary army is offscreen to the North and Wang Lang has free reign on my territory. The Chen livestock farm couldn't hope to defeat his army--it's a free territory--and yet Wang Lang has sat beside it for a turn without doing anything, fully prepped to go.

B4BCB8960AA13A353E7340A4B4592B4D8471ED5B

Of course, I ask this after having been dismantled as Zheng Jiang so it might just be the AI being weird.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Even with the tooltips I am thoroughly confused by the campaign map. I just stick in my base for like 5+ turns while my army builds and a few buildings build and once my army's reinforced I blindly march to an enemy hoping that my army is strong enough to beat them.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Even with the tooltips I am thoroughly confused by the campaign map. I just stick in my base for like 5+ turns while my army builds and a few buildings build and once my army's reinforced I blindly march to an enemy hoping that my army is strong enough to beat them.
There's a few ways to tell strength at a glance. The yellow bars on each army tells you its manpower--one yellow bar per unit, I think; with faded yellow bars meaning it's not at full strength. Then, when targetting an army or settlement, part of the pre-battle screen shows relative strength between your selected army and the target. There's a strength scale, where a green bar going left means you're stronger than them, while a red bar going right means they have the advantage. Generally, if you have the same amount of troops it will be pretty close. (With sieges being more unpredictable.)

Note that sometimes you can get better results manually fighting, especially during close/pyrric victories.

For more broad power comparisons, you can see each faction's relative strength in the diplomacy screen. Red chevrons pointing up mean they're stronger, green ones pointing down are weaker, and a yellow line is about equal. Just keep in mind that this includes all armies, which may be hiding or offscreen.

For the campaign map, what's confusing you? The thing that trips me up is how it changes perspective when enemy units move... I keep losing track of the map geography.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Man, heroes can absolutely wreck things and turn a battle. I had a battle that I thought was easily won, I made the enemy's army route except for a single unit and two heroes. I put 3 units of melee on them + my archers while I chased down his main hero with tihe rest. somehow literally his 2 general units + 1 unit of spearman wrecked three units of melee troops and two units of archers I have behind them, I wasn't watching that part cause I thought it'd be an easy win while I en joyed the duel of my main hero unit against theirs.

Can someone tell me, why do spearman wreck halbred users? Makes no sense...you think those would be a fairly even fight since they are similar in reach, heck I'd wager halbreds would be better in a line because you can use them to chop at the spear heads...

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Man, heroes can absolutely wreck things and turn a battle. I had a battle that I thought was easily won, I made the enemy's army route except for a single unit and two heroes. I put 3 units of melee on them + my archers while I chased down his main hero with tihe rest. somehow literally his 2 general units + 1 unit of spearman wrecked three units of melee troops and two units of archers I have behind them, I wasn't watching that part cause I thought it'd be an easy win while I en joyed the duel of my main hero unit against theirs.

Can someone tell me, why do spearman wreck halbred users? Makes no sense...you think those would be a fairly even fight since they are similar in reach, heck I'd wager halbreds would be better in a line because you can use them to chop at the spear heads...
That might've just been a "fighting stronger unit, losing" morale penalty pushing your troops into routing. Towards the end of a battle, units can get pretty fragile in terms of morale.

Like in my short-lived Zheng Jiang campaign, I fought two battles that were certain defeats, yet managed to rout the enemy by sheer morale attrition. When Zhen Jiang kills or routs every (fortunately non-champion) general, it makes a big difference on the battlefield.

NinjaEdit: Oh and not sure on the halberd vs spearmen thing. It's probably due to veterancy or unit quality more than their weapons.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Is there an easier way to marry besides clicking on different provinces and factions to see if they will marry? I wish it was sort of like CK2 where you click your character that you want to marry off and then it shows options on who might me a good choice

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very curious about the later campaigns. Do we get characters like Jiang Wei, Deng Ai, Zhong Hui and the like? The game seems very focused on the early campaigns, and not much on the later stages when it truly becomes 3 kingdoms.
They are going to make starting dates aka Chapters as DLC, so we could only hope CA will going as far as that.
I'm playing romance, I like the feeling of having super generals
Honestly I wish Romance mode general isn't full blown Dynasty Warriors unit. I liked having my officers have significant effect to the army, but not single handedly wrecked a thousand troops alone.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I love the romance mode. It's so much more interesting to have characters matter on a battlefield. The alternative is just so... boring to me. Can't go back to a non-Warhammer inspired TW.

And speaking of characters, I love the way they talk pre-battle. It is so good. Enemies even chime in on occasion.
Is there an easier way to marry besides clicking on different provinces and factions to see if they will marry? I wish it was sort of like CK2 where you click your character that you want to marry off and then it shows options on who might me a good choice
Tried to figure this out earlier, and I think quick diplomacy would cover it. Quick diplomacy is basically "any diplomatic agreement with a chance of succeeding". Early on the marriagable characters get snapped up, though, so you gotta really be on your toes about it.

And I should mention, some AI will offer you marriages. Just make note of whether the char is coming to you or going away.