• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
You know, for a future DLC, I think I'd like a naval combat option. Being forced to auto resolve in the rivers is less than ideal. It could be akin to tying the boats together to create a unique stage layout to navigate, or maybe control of both boats and units on them (primarily ranged and hopping melee units to enemy vessels).

Also, since the above poster accidentally changed the page, I'll quote my end of page post here:

Thanks for the head's up! Always glad to have more info on things.

It's going to improve even the base game quite a bit it seems.

Looking at Tao Qian's DLC page on Steam seems to show that Dong Zhuo, Liu Bei, Cao Cao, Sun Jian, and Liu Biao will be the main game factions in play during the Yellow Turban Rebellion, the rest will spawn in during appropriate times/events.

Liu Bei was already starting at a comparatively low point for his campaign. I imagine starting in 182 means he'll be without Guan Yu and Zhang Fei for a few turns, as they don't join up right away. Could be a rough beginning for him.

Tao Qian is also interesting given how he takes in war refugees.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
You know, for a future DLC, I think I'd like a naval combat option. Being forced to auto resolve in the rivers is less than ideal. It could be akin to tying the boats together to create a unique stage layout to navigate, or maybe control of both boats and units on them (primarily ranged and hopping melee units to enemy vessels).

Also, since the above poster accidentally changed the page, I'll quote my end of page post here:
wh2 has island battles. While i think your version is better CA could do jsut "riverbank" battles instead of naval battles and it would be just fine.

That said i think it is a pity that naval battles are being slowly removed from total war. IMO they were a nice change of pace.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Naval battles probably have a ridiculous work overhead for something so tertiary to the core gameplay loop. 'Cause that's like a whole new gameplay system, and entirely new art for something you see, what... 5, 10% of your time? If Total Warhammer and Thrones of Britannia couldn't justify it, I don't know how any game could.

I really liked Total Warhammer 2's solution, with the island battles. It was a really good compromise that gave you the best of both worlds. Just dunno if it would make as much sense in less fantasy-minded TWs.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Naval battles probably have a ridiculous work overhead for something so tertiary to the core gameplay loop. 'Cause that's like a whole new gameplay system, and entirely new art for something you see, what... 5, 10% of your time? If Total Warhammer and Thrones of Britannia couldn't justify it, I don't know how any game could.

I really liked Total Warhammer 2's solution, with the island battles. It was a really good compromise that gave you the best of both worlds. Just dunno if it would make as much sense in less fantasy-minded TWs.
I totally understand the (possible) reasons for not doing the naval battles but... i really like them. In rome 2 combining an army sieging city walls while your fleet disembarks in key points inside the city was amazing. Seeing a roman ship ram a carthegian ship and breaking it apart was so satisfying. That said the best naval battles have to be the ironclads in shogun 2 fall of the samurai.
Personally speaking these battles while not as fun as the land ones they were good enough that it made me enjoy the sea a lot more.

I udnerstand that they are not worthwhile but i still hold hope that they will eventually return.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
For those that care about the number total war three kingdoms has a platinum rank ( 1st - 12th Top Seller ) in the 2019 steam top sellers.
It was expected. I find it baffling that such a big game has only 13 pages in this thread.
link here

Tankette

Oct 30, 2017
>Whenever you, as Cao Cao, traded your food supply for a piece of farmland and then promptly cancel the food trade a turn later

---​

zijE3kO.jpg

Steam Store Link

Anyways, I think this is, to the best of my knowledge, the first OT dedicated to Total War: Three Kingdoms. Nope, this is not the first OT. Uhh, woops?

Anyways, share your experiences here!

(Currently, I'm at my umpteenth Liu Bei playthrough; just stuck it into Huang Shao and took over his commanderies of Taishan and Dong. Now I'm smack on the Yellow River and staring into the territories of Yuan Shao and his Unlimited Vassal Work. Yay.)

P.S.: The Mandate of Heaven DLC is set to drop on Jan. 20!

Oct 27, 2017
>Whenever you, as Cao Cao, traded your food supply for a piece of farmland and then promptly cancel the food trade a turn later

---​

zijE3kO.jpg

Steam Store Link

Anyways, I think this is, to the best of my knowledge, the first OT dedicated to Total War: Three Kingdoms. Nope, this is not the first OT. Uhh, woops?

Anyways, share your experiences here!

(Currently, I'm at my umpteenth Liu Bei playthrough; just stuck it into Huang Shao and took over his commanderies of Taishan and Dong. Now I'm smack on the Yellow River and staring into the territories of Yuan Shao and his Unlimited Vassal Work. Yay.)

P.S.: The Mandate of Heaven DLC is set to drop on Jan. 20!

I love those 3K show memes.

Anyway, I started a campaign as Kong Rong and I've been replaying the first couple of turns for half an hour hoping that Liu Bei would go after Dong instead of Langye. I think he's doing it this time after I ambushed Huang Shao on his way to Beihai. Took Taishan so hopefully Liu Bei can finish him off before he respawns. Also found out that if the yellow turban stack goes after your army instead of Beihai and you retreat you'll still get Taishi Ci.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Any impressions of the Mandate Campaign?

I saw a couple reviews/previews today that seemed pretty upbeat. And there's been hours and hours of campaign playthroughs on YouTube for awhile now. My general takeaway from watching/reading stuff is that it isn't revolutionary, because it never had to be, but it is a good chunk of new content both in the DLC and free patch to help give you more different campaign stories to experience.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I really like the way CA aproached this DLC. I'm looking foward to the Lu BU DLC. I wonder if it will be worth 1000 DLC?

Yeah there look to be a lot of incentives to not just run militia forever.
I wonder if the imperial units will be as strong as CA says. Suposedly they are capable of taking down militia easily.
Any impressions of the Mandate Campaign?
I haven't seen much but from what I have seen it seems to expand a few mechanics as well as adding variety. Summarily:
  • The new units make each different faction (yelow turban, governors/warlords/ emperors) slightly more unique
  • the new start date will make for a very different map to conquer when your each the original start date
  • The new emperor mechanics should now make you feel (and be) more powerful, instead of it being just a title.
  • The new chars will add for variety for the base game start date
In short the DLC adds differentiation for each type of faction, giving a new start date and expanding the "end-game" mechanics

Oct 27, 2017
Played a bit after the patch and I could really feel the morale nerf. Tried out Liu Chong's 182 campaign a bit and I think I messed up putting all my generals in 1 army early on. Should've had multiple single-general armies instead to deal with the small looter armies that spawn all over the place.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I can't stop playing the update!

What I like:
  • Zhang brothers are very "warhammer-y" - they are completely different; they ignore PO but instead are forced to take riskier and riskier figths if they want to maintain the rebellion alive.
  • The new menu is pretty good! You can chose by start date or select the LC in the map. The factions are also much better organized.
  • The new units are spicing things up, specially the imperial units at the start
  • militia/peasant units are much easier to rout.
  • its cool seeing the 3k chars slowly appear during the course of the campaign .
What i dislike
  • No flamethrower/magic attack for Zhang Jiao, such a missed oportunty
  • MoH campaign has basically all unique chars in the North again.
  • Emperor Liu ???(i don't remember the rest of his name) and his cool wife empress he don't appear in battle? why? their design is SO SO GOOD.
  • Yuan Shao appears gets a coalition and kicks my brothers ass
  • The mandate war starts too soon. I had like 3-4 cities before i had the whole world issuing a DoW.
i have dipped my toes with zhang Jiao.
I'm going to start another campaign with the emperor.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Does Lu Bu just rout a militia unit in one swing now? Those changes sound pretty wild.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I can't stop playing the update!

What I like:
  • Zhang brothers are very "warhammer-y" - they are completely different; they ignore PO but instead are forced to take riskier and riskier figths if they want to maintain the rebellion alive.
  • The new menu is pretty good! You can chose by start date or select the LC in the map. The factions are also much better organized.
  • The new units are spicing things up, specially the imperial units at the start
  • militia/peasant units are much easier to rout.
  • its cool seeing the 3k chars slowly appear during the course of the campaign .
What i dislike
  • No flamethrower/magic attack for Zhang Jiao, such a missed oportunty
  • MoH campaign has basically all unique chars in the North again.
  • Emperor Liu ???(i don't remember the rest of his name) and his cool wife empress he don't appear in battle? why? their design is SO SO GOOD.
  • Yuan Shao appears gets a coalition and kicks my brothers ass
  • The mandate war starts too soon. I had like 3-4 cities before i had the whole world issuing a DoW.
i have dipped my toes with zhang Jiao.
I'm going to start another campaign with the emperor.
Yeah it's real good, stayed up till 2am intending to just play a couple of turns when it released to see the UI changes and what not and ended up getting sucked in until 6am lol. I agree on the Mandate War thing, honestly they could've pushed the start date back a couple of years and have a bit more of a ramp up.

Oct 27, 2017
Trying out Zhang Bao. Mandate War really does start up too fast, I barely had any time to build up. Liu Bei and his bros rolled up immediately, but fortunately they were in separate armies so I could just take them out one by one. Executed all of them for their weapons and took all their territory. Wiped out Han Fu so Gong Du would join and recruited He Yi after Yuan Shu stomped him. Huang Shao's holding steady, so I killed Tao Qian and gave him Taishan to give him some breathing room. Kong Rong and Yuan Shao came up but I ambushed them and executed Rong; he won't be taking Beihai now. Shao got away, so I'll probably have to chase him down and kill him to stop his spawn.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I have been playing with emperor Liu and his campaign is super easy (as long as you know the mechanics). however its super disapointing the way the game removes your chars so they can move to their respective province. its annoying losing their excelent retinue when you are campaign against the enemy. It is the only major feature that i really want to be adressed. Its frustrating.

That frustation aside, emperor liu campaign is one of the best pokemon campaigns. Starting early date means all chars will live a long time. Him being an emperor makes it easy to slowly vassalize/annex as well as conquering the map at your pace.

Also props for CA for the fervour mechanic. its works really well.

Damn those imperial troops do not want to replenish lol.
I really liked that mechanic! For those that haven't played imperial troops have -20% replenishment penalty
In short to counter that you need to bring the imperial army to a HUGE city (>4M pop i think) as well as assing an couttier to increase the local replenishment (empress He is really good!)

In the early game the only big city is the capital so you it feels very roleplayable bringing your army home to replenish.

What i am not sure if its a bug but I lost 1 or 2 units that never re-recruited themselves. I can't also recruit nothing for that spot. its a bit frustrating.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked that mechanic! For those that haven't played imperial troops have -20% replenishment penalty
In short to counter that you need to bring the imperial army to a HUGE city (>4M pop i think) as well as assing an couttier to increase the local replenishment (empress He is really good!)

In the early game the only big city is the capital so you it feels very roleplayable bringing your army hope to replenish.

What i am not sure if its a bug but I lost 1 or 2 units that never re-recruited themselves. I can't also recruit nothing for that spot. its a bit frustrating.
Dang that is actually a really cool mechanic, at least conceptually. Thanks for explaining it.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah I really like it. I hope they find a way to steal that for really elite TWW troops like Hammerers or something and then buff them commensurately. It'd be great to make the dying-but-powerful races feel strong in a different way.

Tankette

Oct 30, 2017
I tried out Liu Chong at the 190 start date (shaddup) and I steamrolled Yuan Shu in 202 like the 3rd Armored Division steamrolled Saddem Hussein in 1991.

Then again, Yuan Shu was at war with everyone when I struck, so.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I just won the emperor liu campaign. I wonder if this campaign is WAI.
Why i am wondering this? Because of 2 things:

• You are the emperor of a future fractured empires full of corruption! Just fire 10 eunuchs and research -10%salary and +10 percent peasantry and you become the richest and most stable empire i ever had.
  • Look at that menacing rebellion that is appearing in the north; Can you keep your subjects in line while the rebellions spreads? super easy, the yellow turban rebelion gets a all other factions to DoW in 15-20 turns. What can 3 brothers do against the might of an united china? nothing, they are steamrolled in less then 20-30 turns.
Another thing that is a failed opportunity is the court dynamic for the emperor. For those that haven't played emperor Liu has a special court mechanic where each char of your court belongs to 1 of 3 factions: bureaucratic, dynasty and warlord. I expected that the objective would be to try to get a balance between the 3 faction. Instead the bureaucratic factions is almost all penalties, so much so that even the tier 1 penalty is mindbogglingly HUGE. The other 2 factions have bonuses up taht are really good. once they reach half way they get a penalty that is mindbogglingly small. For example if you have just dynasty member you get a -20 atitude penalty to all factions and that is it...
IMo i'd prefer the system from I rome 2 where if one family acquires too much power the other can revolt/sabotage your empire. I think if CA had mostly copied that system it would make the empire much less stable and a much more historic transition to the 3 kingdoms period. The reason i am saying this is that once you wipe the yellow turban rebellion you can slowly kick people out of your empire and get your gang to wipe them out. No one leaves the empire willingly because its too strong
I had 3 factions leaving my empire (currently at 196) - YUAN SHU, Liu chong and some generic guy i don't remember.I kicked 3 factions out so i am starting to become huge,specially with the Capital giving like 10k money.

I tried out Liu Chong at the 190 start date (shaddup) and I steamrolled Yuan Shu in 202 like the 3rd Armored Division steamrolled Saddem Hussein in 1991.

Then again, Yuan Shu was at war with everyone when I struck, so.
I salute you for taking down that backstabbing wannabe emperor bastard. I hate Yuan Shu, i haven't had a campaign where he doesn't attack me.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I just won the emperor liu campaign. I wonder if this campaign is WAI.
Why i am wondering this? Because of 2 things:

• You are the emperor of a future fractured empires full of corruption! Just fire 10 eunuchs and research -10%salary and +10 percent peasantry and you become the richest and most stable empire i ever had.
  • Look at that menacing rebellion that is appearing in the north; Can you keep your subjects in line while the rebellions spreads? super easy, the yellow turban rebelion gets a all other factions to DoW in 15-20 turns. What can 3 brothers do against the might of an united china? nothing, they are steamrolled in less then 20-30 turns.
Another thing that is a failed opportunity is the court dynamic for the emperor. For those that haven't played emperor Liu has a special court mechanic where each char of your court belongs to 1 of 3 factions: bureaucratic, dynasty and warlord. I expected that the objective would be to try to get a balance between the 3 faction. Instead the bureaucratic factions is almost all penalties, so much so that even the tier 1 penalty is mindbogglingly HUGE. The other 2 factions have bonuses up taht are really good. once they reach half way they get a penalty that is mindbogglingly small. For example if you have just dynasty member you get a -20 atitude penalty to all factions and that is it...
IMo i'd prefer the system from I rome 2 where if one family acquires too much power the other can revolt/sabotage your empire. I think if CA had mostly copied that system it would make the empire much less stable and a much more historic transition to the 3 kingdoms period. The reason i am saying this is that once you wipe the yellow turban rebellion you can slowly kick people out of your empire and get your gang to wipe them out. No one leaves the empire willingly because its too strong
I had 3 factions leaving my empire (currently at 196) - YUAN SHU, Liu chong and some generic guy i don't remember.I kicked 3 factions out so i am starting to become huge,specially with the Capital giving like 10k money.

I salute you for taking down that backstabbing wannabe emperor bastard. I hate Yuan Shu, i haven't had a campaign where he doesn't attack me.
I noticed the same issues with the Emperor campaign, if it's WAI then CA have done a pretty shit job of the design and balance of it's core mechanics.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Empire campaign is way too easy. Going to restart as the Yellow Turbans.

What does WAI mean?

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I mean, it actually being easy is definitely a mess up on CA's part, but metafictionally, it is funny since the only reason why things got that bad is because the emperor sucked at his job.

Last edited:

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it actually being easy is definitely a mess up on CA's part, but in a metafictionally, it is funny since the only reason why things got that bad is because the emperor sucked at his job.
That is pretty funny. I was really hoping more warlords would turn against me after the Yellow Turbans went down, but they just waited for me to Annex them all lol.
It was fun for a few hours though!

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
That is pretty funny. I was really hoping more warlords would turn against me after the Yellow Turbans went down, but they just waited for me to Annex them all lol.
It was fun for a few hours though!

The other funny part is that the method above is exactly what Dong Zhou made sure happened.

Take out the Eunuchs while everyone unites against the yellow turbans.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So I was going to attack some yellow turban remnents and their peasant army attacked me. The army had the groups at 3/4 strength.
Well i had a Lu Bu
CEA7AEB06B80F5C48CE1625B78CFB9B6B4931534

With the new mroale changes. LU BU + terror is absolutely incredibly against a peasant army

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I can't wait until we get a good updated battle overhaul lol, despite changes the vanilla battles are really just way too easy in Three Kingdoms. Fingers crossed SFO, Hooveric or BARS doesn't take too long to get updated.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
There's an SFO for 3K? I just assumed SFO was a Warhammer thing, dang.

Given how good the Warhammer 2 version (Grimhammer) is, I am now looking into it...

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
There's an SFO for 3K? I just assumed SFO was a Warhammer thing, dang.

Given how good the Warhammer 2 version (Grimhammer) is, I am now looking into it...
Yep, it's on hold for the moment but it's not dead -
There used to be one for Thrones of Britannia as well but it was discontinued.

The first ones to be updated or replaced will most likely be Hooveric's Overhaul -
and BARS which is purely focused on battles.

Of course, you have the ubiquitous Radious overhaul which is the most active but like the former ubiquitous overhaul for Total War games, Darth Mod, I don't like the balance changes they make - especially to the economy.

Saucepan Man

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the MoH DLC portion of my Zhang Jue game and now mucking around the Warlord period to see how well it transitions into the base game, i.e. triggering the 3 Kingdoms event.

Some things to note:
-War coordination is a must when playing MoH Yellow Turbans rebels
-Making use of captain retinues to rapidly bolster the defenses of your brother factions and your own
-Later on make use of captain retinue armies to increase your Zeal by attacking unguarded settlements
-There's a recruit characters assignment for Yellow Turbans if you want proper retinues
-Inducing rebels in enemy/neutral factions seem to be less useful as the game reaches mid-end game
-Go max taxes for early-game AND/OR as long as zeal is high since public order is a non-issue for MoH Yellow Turbans
-Not accepting alliance wars seems to kick you out of being in friendly territory with other YT, i.e. can no longer replenish troops.

One annoying thing I noticed is that the AI will sometimes stick to besieging until they are about to die and then leave to recover when I order friendly AI to attack a settlement.

Also, my biggest regret is that I didn't directly He Yi into my faction and have him be his own faction. Turns out, his faction was only at war with the Han and not any of the Warlords. Useless until the Dong Zhou event seemed to reactive the He Yi AI to declare war on everyone. The second regret is not keeping the Ye City for myself since it seems the Yuan Shao event repeats for the AI when he first appeared and I gave the city back to the Zhang brother. He Yi promptly declared war on Yuan Shao once he reappeared on the map.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the Zhang Bao campaign. Things obviously started to get easier when Liu Hong died and the empire dissolved, although then Dong Zhuo started making coalitions with everyone. I eventually killed the bandits and secured NE China and the mountains, so I could just park an army around Hedong as a deterrent while my other armies went around capturing settlements while Huang Shao watched my south.

Tried out a bit of Liu Hong. It does kinda feel like they wanted to channel Rome 2 or Attila, but didn't really go all the way with it. It's pretty simple to manage.

Last edited:

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing as Zhang Bao. How do you recruit a captain retinue?
I think I messed up by not sending a spare general on an "attract talent" mission early on.

Despite this, it's looking like an interesting campaign. It's basically turned into an alternate history where Liu Bei got captured and killed in his first battle against the Yellow Turbans.
His brothers have been causing mischief by being total badasses with lots of 'lives'. I realised it's better to rout them than to kill them, since Guan Yu just respawned after 1 turn and took out one of my towns with while I was capturing one of his. He didn't even wait for his units to muster and took out my settlement more-or-less singlehandedly (I killed Zhang Fei, and that did not make him happy).
And every time I'm ready to take the last of his settlements, a new imperial full stack shows up (now it's Tao Qian crossing the Yellow River...)
It's still very early in the campaign, so I hope Dong Zhou manages to screw up this frustratingly united empire.

The morale changes are significant. Archers are even more powerful than before, since you can rout militia before they reach you. I'm winning most battles easily, but it's going to get very rough once better-trained troops show up. I'm dreading the fight that happens in some shitty forest where my archers become useless.

The palisade deployables are useful. The AI can be lured into charging them and it does major damage to cavalry.
Oil seems pretty useless since the AI just avoids it, but that might make it useful for area denial. Do I need fire arrows to light it up? I had an army with no fire arrows and could find any option to ignite the oil!
Researching caltrops now. I hope the AI isn't too good at using them, since I usually rely on cavalry charges in the mid-late game.

Saucepan Man

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing as Zhang Bao. How do you recruit a captain retinue?

When you deploy/recruit a general there are two tabs called "Characters" to recruit generals and "Captains" to recruit captain retinues.

Example from a reddit post I found:
0kfovtnnys431.jpg

As for fights in the forest with archer problem; fire arrows, finding a non-forest spot to turtle and baiting with your generals/cav is a good strategy.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I never spotted the tab.

How do people handle corruption with Yellow Turbans? I'm a long way from when it'll be a problem, but I usually prioritise the anticorruption building that gives -10 in all surrounding commanderies, and YT don't have that. They also have fewer heroes, so anticorruption assignments are probably less viable.
Do I just stay small and give the less-useful provinces to my brothers/allies?

Saucepan Man

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I never spotted the tab.

How do people handle corruption with Yellow Turbans? I'm a long way from when it'll be a problem, but I usually prioritise the anticorruption building that gives -10 in all surrounding commanderies, and YT don't have that. They also have fewer heroes, so anticorruption assignments are probably less viable.
Do I just stay small and give the less-useful provinces to my brothers/allies?
There's the recruit character assignment (usually the the most right-hand end choice) that increases the chance for that "character appears" event with the 3 choices for the one of the 3 yellow turban classes.

The end-game copper mine building is the only anti-corruption building for yellow turbans as far as I know. The main anti-corruption things they have are the assignments, local leaders, and ranking up from conquest, recruiting characters from the court, leveling up characters and buildings. In addition, go get extra local leaders from researching from the middle reform tree. There's also a -10 anti-corruption research near the more local leaders research stuff.

What I usually do for the money problem is go max taxes (when it's available) since fervor usually make up for the public order lost. Think you need to own all the provinces in a commandery to have effective fervor for public order.

I personally never went 'tall' as yellow turbans. I do the 'wide' play by rushing into becoming emperor rank as fast as possible. The benefits of getting more local leaders for anti-corruption and max taxes too good to pass off. I guess you could just plop in research buildings in commaderies that you know you won't put your first 2 local leaders in to get something out of them before getting into the higher ranks with anti-corruption.

Also I think any of your units can light up the oil by just clicking on it. It changes the mouse cursor icon to indicate that it is possible I think.

Last edited:

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

I don't know what it is with Three Kingdoms but I just can't find the motivation to get back in. I was utterly addicted to the game when it came out and played it in every free minute. And every minute that I should've spent being productive actually.
Got the Mandate of Heaven DLC, played it a couple hours, got bored, uninstalled. And this new announcement does nothing for me :/

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I like it, but I usually play half a campaign before switching to Warhammer 2. They scratch different itches but Warhammer's variety between factions is unmatched across the whole Total War franchise.

That they're still supporting Three Kingdoms with another campaign speaks to its popularity though.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I think it's still plenty popular. It's just like normal Total War popular, not Warham popular.

That said they seem to be adding quite a bit with what they showed off on stream. Think they said 16 new unique characters, a new research tree and mechanics for bandit factions plus a new bandit FLC, more units and buildings etc.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

I don't know what it is with Three Kingdoms but I just can't find the motivation to get back in. I was utterly addicted to the game when it came out and played it in every free minute. And every minute that I should've spent being productive actually.
Got the Mandate of Heaven DLC, played it a couple hours, got bored, uninstalled. And this new announcement does nothing for me :/

I really enjoyed the trailer. It did make me notice how many main chars had father deaths that pushed them forward.

I am actually the other way around. I really liked the base gameplay of 3k but the base game itself was too safe. Every faction (even the then turban rebelion) were very very similar like the previous historical titles.
I played Cao Cao, Sun Jian and Dong Zhou quite a bit. I also played a little bit Ma Teng, Liu Bei and Zheng Jiang. All of them were very similar. There are some differences but the way one plays those campaigns is very same-y.

With mandate of heaven now we have 3.5 campaigns (warlord/emperor/bandit; yellow turban; governor). Yellow turban faction + empire rework finally made gorvernor and yellow turban different campaigns from the warlord.
With this DLC/FLC i guess were getting bandit campaign.

IMO these new ways of play + all the new artwork/chars make me much more enganged then the base game. No longer are most of the factions clones but most factions now have at least 1 unique char. This is specillay cool at middle game where when the factions are destroyed these unique chars go to other factions. So in the middle game I fight at least some unique chars. I still think the game needs like at the very least 200+ unique chars as well as more armours+ weapons+ mounts to make the game feel alive but this DLC is a step in the right direction.
For me its almost a deal breaker when i have zhou tai and some other guy with very similar faces and armour.

Kaffeeman I think giving the game more time will see you liking it back again specially when CA adds the nanman (assuming off course that the quality of the DLC keeps increasing like with warhammer stuff)

I like it, but I usually play half a campaign before switching to Warhammer 2. They scratch different itches but Warhammer's variety between factions is unmatched across the whole Total War franchise.

That they're still supporting Three Kingdoms with another campaign speaks to its popularity though.
I think it's still plenty popular. It's just like normal Total War popular, not Warham popular.

That said they seem to be adding quite a bit with what they showed off on stream. Think they said 16 new unique characters, a new research tree and mechanics for bandit factions plus a new bandit FLC, more units and buildings etc.
In terms of popularity I know at launch that 3k sold more then wh1 (which sold more then wh2). The main 3k problem has been "player retention/engagement". 3K kept heavily bleading players until the MoH DLC; it went as low as 5k players. Wh1 would generaly be above 10k players with the DLC launching increasing to 20-30k players.

Wh2 on the other hand is very weird and hard for someone like me who doesn't work in industry to understand.
Wh2 sold less then wh1 at launch (which i think it is understandable being a sequel so soon and that kinda required the 1st game) however the player retention is actually increasing with each DLC. With the latest DLC wh2 had as many concurrent players as when the 1st DLC launched. In a way wh2 playerbase is increasing with each DLC (for those that don't know it is generally the other way; the more DLC you release the smaller the part of the playerbase that returns/buys it).

IMO 3k low concurrent numbers are more due to the fact that each campaign is very similar as well as having very low ammount of chars/starting position. I think that most players will do a few campaigns then quit the game until there is a DLC/Update that grabs them back.
IMO as more chars/start pos are added the game the number of players will increase and due to high sales i think it has a capacity to surpass warhammer. IMo the biggest problem warhammer has is its price; it will be hard for those that don't currently play total war to look at the total war trilogy and feel compeled that its a product worth the money.

That said wh2 seems to not suffer from the "usual" rules of the market so who knows what will happen when wh3 releases? maybe wh3 will be the counter strike of strategy titles and become the go to SP strategy game.

end of rant

I wish I knew more people IRL to talk about these games. I need to take a few minutos to update the OPs