• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you finished a Mortal Empires campaign in TW:W2?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • No

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I haven't started a ME campaign yet

Votes: 44 59.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
Dez 19 update: Rise of the Tomb Kings DLC faction trailer revealed & FAQ, see post #2

banner2ljui1.jpg

This content is a massive free expansion to owners of both Total War: WARHAMMER & Total War: WARHAMMER II, and requires ownership of both games to play.

• A new grand scale campaign set across the Old World and the New World.
  • Play as any Legendary Lord from both games and any owned DLC.
  • Thousands of hours of gameplay.
  • 295 conquerable settlements.
  • 117 starting factions.
  • Up to 35 playable Legendary Lords.
  • Free to owners of both Total War: WARHAMMER & Total War: WARHAMMER II.

Mortal Empires is a new grand-scale campaign, free to owners of both Total War: WARHAMMER and Total War: WARHAMMER II. Once downloaded, the campaign is accessible through the Campaigns Menu in Total War: WARHAMMER II.

p07xhh39l56i.png

Mortal Empires Patch Notes

Full list of of changes on the Total War blog

Blood for the Blood God II

Blood for the Blood God II is free for WARHAMMER II players who have already purchased Blood for the Blood God for the original Total War: WARHAMMER, or can be purchased on the Steam store.

Once downloaded, Blood effects can be enabled in the Advanced Graphics Settings of Total War: WARHAMMER II.

me1fkupx.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Feral

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
Rise of the Tomb Kings DLC

Across the arid wastes of once-proud Nehekhara, legions of skeletal warriors and vast, terrifying constructs rise from the sands to serve their ageless masters. The Tomb Kings have awoken – to rebuild their glorious empire anew! Rise of the Tomb Kings is coming to Steam on January 23rd, 2018.

"In response to player feedback, Rise of the Tomb Kings does not contain a supplementary story campaign, but instead 2 additional Legendary Lords for a total of four, with their own skills, traits, quest-chains, legendary wargear and situational challenges. Players may embark on Tomb Kings campaigns as Settra the Imperishable, Khalida, Khatep and Nagash's former lieutenant, the malignant Arkhan the Black."

Rise of the Tomb Kings FAQ:https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tomb-kings-announcement

Last edited:

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
If people somehow need additional motivation to get into these games you should watch 20 dinsosaurs (some riding other dinosaurs) fight 10,000 zombies.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited for this. I do, however, find it hilarious that Belgard Ironhammer and Skarnik are still nowhere near Karak Eight-Peaks though Queek Headtaker is considerably closer.

Suicreeps

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to get this game, I love the first one but I felt like it was a little lackluster as a Total War game, is their any special formations or anything of that sort in this one? I loved the mod that allowed you to create formations in the first one.

OP
OP
Feral

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
I'm really excited for this. I do, however, find it hilarious that Belgard Ironhammer and Skarnik are still nowhere near Karak Eight-Peaks though Queek Headtaker is considerably closer.
Queek is the one and true ruler of Karak Eight-Peaks. Look into you heart, you know it to be true

can anyone tell me what KE-P boni and penalties he gets in his campaign?
I really want to get this game, I love the first one but I felt like it was a little lackluster as a Total War game, is their any special formations or anything of that sort in this one? I loved the mod that allowed you to create formations in the first one.
I don't know about mods, but not in the base game, no. Everything is spaghetti lines

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's finally here. Right when every other game I want to play is coming out XD

Formations being absent has been a big bummer for me. There's some things you can do with positioning, but it doesn't make up for the missing unit formations. I think that's something that could/should be utilized in the skill trees for specific factions/units.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Queek is the one and true ruler of Karak Eight-Peaks. Look into you heart, you know it to be true

Nah, man. Skarsnik is the one true Warlord of Eight Peaks and one of the best characters of Warhammer Fantasy period. Still, I'll be waiting until the apply the patch to this mode before playing. Currently all the TW1 LL do not have their new updated skill trees from the last TW1 update nor the new Regiments of Renown.

Also, who's KE-P boni? In any case, I think everyone has the same bonuses and penalties as their original campaign. This helps Queek because his quest item is now worth it in Mortal Empires but can be helpful/hurtful depending on your faction.

OP
OP
Feral

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
Also, who's KE-P boni? In any case, I think everyone has the same bonuses and penalties as their original campaign. This helps Queek because his quest item is now worth it in Mortal Empires but can be helpful/hurtful depending on your faction.
I meant the faction-specific boni and penalties you get for owning/not owning Eight-Peaks^^

I'm going trough the patch notes right now and plan to continue my Vortex LM campaign later today before jumping to ME. I'm honestly a little concerned about my poor 2011 VAIO laptop, TW2 is already very demanding and I need to replace the fan pretty much asap. Can't play for more than 1-2 hours at a time atm, which is quite annoying
CHANGED Black Arks from being part of the army upkeep penalty. Black Arks now do not factor in to the Supply Lines modifier
huh, this is a pretty big change. I didn't try out Black Arks in my DE campaign because I remained on the continent. The supply line modifier kept me from using them, that's quite the buff there to an already very strong faction (the AI can completely ignore their economy, of course :P)

Last edited:

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Gotta move my Total Warhammer 2 install to my SSD I realised, the loading times between battles and the campaign have gone quite crazy on my setup.

Playing a bit classic style right now, pick Empire, immediately move my armies East to beat down the Vampires as number 1 priority.
Hate those bastards.

Now moving in to subjugate the Border Princes and then give Bretonia the good old Sigmar's blessing.

OP
OP
Feral

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
I miss the days when the expansionist Wood Elves would rule all the land with an iron fist. Is the Dwarf AI faction still merciless?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I miss the days when the expansionist Wood Elves would rule all the land with an iron fist. Is the Dwarf AI faction still merciless?

Like always, it depends. The faction that is merciless is Bastonne, who starts the campaign at war with Paravon then proceeds to conquer the west of the Old World. Makes playing the Wood Elves annoying. Also, make Ariel the Mage Queen a LL, CA.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who finds it odd that they have added in blood effects with a patch?
As a paid mod no less!

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
The Dwarfs for me, as usual, immediately went to conquer their mountains to the East and is now one of the strongest known factions (barring the ones I've yet to discover). So they seem to still be at it, luckily the Empire starts on good standing with them so I've managed to keep good relations with them.

OP
OP
Feral

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
Like always, it depends. The faction that is merciless is Bastonne, who starts the campaign at war with Paravon then proceeds to conquer the west of the Old World. Makes playing the Wood Elves annoying. Also, make Ariel the Mage Queen a LL, CA.
eh, as WE I think you should be laying waste to the various Bretonnia faction by turn 20 anyway or so. Who else are you going to fight early game? Take out Skarsnik at the start of the campaign, and then there's the choice of either going after the Bret provinces or Estallia/Tilea/Borderprinces. Or Empire, if you're feeling creative
The Dwarfs for me, as usual, immediately went to conquer their mountains to the East and is now one of the strongest known factions (barring the ones I've yet to discover). So they seem to still be at it, luckily the Empire starts on good standing with them so I've managed to keep good relations with them.
ah, good ol' bloothirsty conquering Dwarfs and their endless stacks of elite units, warms my heart it does

the Greenskins in the Badlands are probably even more screwed now that they are sandwiched between Dwarfs and Clan Mors

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Can confirm that the Dwarves are still bonkers in Mortal Empires. They have confederated thrice and are in the process of exterminating the Greenskins in my Clan Mors campaign.

The Lizardmen might be able to challenge them, but the Vampire Count factions nearby completely, you know, kill their ability to actually conquer anything. Lizardmen mobility is just the worst. The worst, when facing Skaven or doing anything involving corrupted terrain that is... mouahahahahaha font sizes oh my gosh yes.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
I've been going through DivinityOS 2, but I'm at the boss now. Finally I can start playing this. Gonna do a vanilla TW2 campaign and then jump into a coop Mortal Empires.

It's pretty insane how big it is, but I am a little disappointed in the lack of naval combat.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it quite clicked for me how important ambush attacks are for Skaven. The autoresolve seems weighted heavily in their favour in ambushes, turning their crummy armies into forces of terror.

Although I'm beginning to see why Clan Mors is the first "Very Hard" campaign. I am hitting some severe food shortages due to the amount of settlements, with the only pasture in sight at Karak Eight Peaks.
No, from the bit I've played it's closer to the campaign from the first game
It's actually like an improved version of the Grand Campaign. The victory objectives make a lot more sense than in the first, even though they take a lot longer. And the sequel additions to the map make it play a lot better.

I also like the geography of it more? I dunno if it's because it's just new, but it feels like there's a lot more faction types and geographical obstacles at play, leading to interesting situations.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Orcs need a buff or Dwarfs need a nerf. Every time the Orcs get driven all of the way off the map.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
They just need to slow down the Dwarves' confederation. They double in size every time they confederate, and once they get a few gold mines under their belt their armies just don't stop. Greenskins have a lot more trouble confederating, have much worse economies, and are already losing against the Dwarves, which all compound the issue.

The map balance might get better once the Tomb Kings come in (they're likely the next faction DLC), since they'll presumably sweep up towards the Dwarves. And Dwarves don't handle corruption well. The Greenskins are still doomed but, y'know, such is their lot in life.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
They just need to slow down the Dwarves' confederation. They double in size every time they confederate, and once they get a few gold mines under their belt their armies just don't stop. Greenskins have a lot more trouble confederating, have much worse economies, and are already losing against the Dwarves, which all compound the issue.

The map balance might get better once the Tomb Kings come in (they're likely the next faction DLC), since they'll presumably sweep up towards the Dwarves. And Dwarves don't handle corruption well. The Greenskins are still doomed but, y'know, such is their lot in life.
Would Tomb Kings do corruption? They're not Vampires, and they're not really associated with that sort of thing. Maybe Arkhan the Black would, if he's an LL.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I thought they were the progenitors of the Old World Vampires, and just assumed they'd have a similar corruption mechanic. I don't actually know anything about them outside of scraps from the wikia.

If that's the case, I'm fully in favour of more Morathi-esque LLs. Her corruption mechanic is awesome.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Oh, I thought they were the progenitors of the Old World Vampires, and just assumed they'd have a similar corruption mechanic. I don't actually know anything about them outside of scraps from the wikia.

If that's the case, I'm fully in favour of more Morathi-esque LLs. Her corruption mechanic is awesome.

One of the queens of a Nehekharan city became the first of the vampires by slightly fucking up when making a potion of immortality but vampirism isn't really tied to the Tomb Kings. They're the "good" skeletons.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, they are, but only tangentially. Nagash (learn to hate that name now to save time later) basically made both the Vampires and the Tomb Kings, but they're kind of unrelated beyond that.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes and no. The Tomb Kings themselves practiced the Mortuary Cult, a religion worshiping death and rebirth. They get their undeath status thanks to their gods. However, the most powerful member of the Mortuary Cult, Nagash the Necromancer, created Necromancy from the Dark Magic of the Dark Elves. HE is the pregenitor of the undeath seen in vampires and necromancers but his magic works completely different from the Mortuary Cult's rituals. Necromancy, asides from vampires, is forced by a necromancer or vampire, forcing a soul to reinhabit its dead body to do its master's will. They get no free will as a result from this and are enslaved the their master's every command. The Mortuary Cult's skeleton warriors died willingly and as such contain a small measure of free will. Not enough to disobey their lords, but unlike the zombies and wights of necromancy, they choose to live this life. As such, the Tomb Kings actually can't do corruption like the Vampire Counts can as they aren't summoning old dead. Instead, the warriors are the Tomb Kings are reknit bone by bone within the tombs of their masters. That is the difference between the two types of undead in the Warhammer world.

OP
OP
Feral

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
the VC undead are either mindless husks or spirits that are under the control of the vampires. The Khemri soldiers willingly serve the pharaos. Also, the Khemri and Vampires hate each other. Vampiric corruption wouldn't make much sense for them, but their desert realm is extremely hostile for the living, nothing there is alive and what little water there is is poisoned

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the lore bombs, y'all.

I suppose if Tomb Kings are orderly they'll just align with the Dwarves. That's pretty much the end of everything, right there.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the VC undead are either mindless husks or spirits that are under the control of the vampires. The Khemri soldiers willingly serve the pharaos. Also, the Khemri and Vampires hate each other. Vampiric corruption wouldn't make much sense for them, but their desert realm is extremely hostile for the living, nothing there is alive and what little water there is is poisoned

To be fair, it would depend on which Tomb King they chose. Settra the Imperishable and High Queen Khalida would never countenance such evil for very personal reasons. However, Arkhan the Black is technically on the Tomb King's list and definitely is a necromancer. I could see Settra and Arkhan being the two starting LL for the Tomb Kings with Arkhan playing more like the VC and Settra being different. They're (hopefully) saving Neferrata and Khalida for a together expansion ala The King and the Warlord or something.

OP
OP
Feral

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
To be fair, it would depend on which Tomb King they chose. Settra the Imperishable and High Queen Khalida would never countenance such evil for very personal reasons. However, Arkhan the Black is technically on the Tomb King's list and definitely is a necromancer. I could see Settra and Arkhan being the two starting LL for the Tomb Kings with Arkhan playing more like the VC and Settra being different. They're (hopefully) saving Neferrata and Khalida for a together expansion ala The King and the Warlord or something.
I like this idea, Arkhan is one of my favorite Warhammer LLs. Lore-wise, I think it would make sense for Arkhan to be aligned with the VC rather than Settra, so I doubt he's going to be one of the two starting lords. I'd like to see Apophas, another interesting character, though iirc he's not a lord. If I had to guess, I'd say the first two lord are going to be Settra and Khalida

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like this idea, Arkhan is one of my favorite Warhammer LLs. Lore-wise, I think it would make sense for Arkhan to be aligned with the VC rather than Settra, so I doubt he's going to be one of the two starting lords. I'd like to see Apophas, another interesting character, though iirc he's not a lord. If I had to guess, I'd say the first two lord are going to be Settra and Khalida

That would make sense but remember that Nagashizzar seems to be a capital city. I think Arkhan is going to be one of the starting ones. Besides, it makes no sense to have Khalida without Neferata as an undead target.

Personally, asides from the High Queen, I kind of want Prince Tutankhanut of Numas, mainly because Numas itself is a unique land with Tomb Kings and humans living together. Prince Apophas is form here too, but I don't think he should be a LL because he's lore kind of runs against him ruling anything until he pays his debt.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't worry about locations too much. They seem to fudge them for the Vortex campaign, then give them better ones in Mortal Empires. (Or dislocate them for the purposes of the campaign, like the Karak Eight Peaks trio.)

Caldain

Oct 27, 2017
New England
How does this game match up to the other games of the Total War franchise? I loved Medieval Total War and Rome but I haven't touched the Warhammer series. I just bought it from Steam so I guess I'll find out but curious if it'll be easy to pick up. I love strategy games but they're not always intuitive and I don't want to spend hours watching youtube videos trying to get a handle on it. Is there a particular faction or campaign setting I should start with to ease myself in?

Thanks in advance!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
How does this game match up to the other games of the Total War franchise? I loved Medieval Total War and Rome but I haven't touched the Warhammer series. I just bought it from Steam so I guess I'll find out but curious if it'll be easy to pick up. I love strategy games but they're not always intuitive and I don't want to spend hours watching youtube videos trying to get a handle on it. Is there a particular faction or campaign setting I should start with to ease myself in?

Thanks in advance!
It is the best Total War series ever made. Or, you know, the one I like the most by a huge margin. Lots to see, lots to do, with polish as high as its ever been.

But in terms of start factions, you mean for the first game right? Empire would be the most straightforward but are surrounded by enemies. Dwarves are a good choice because their playstyle is pretty straightforward, outside of grudges and they have a great starting location. Start on normal or below and just get a hang on the mechanics.

If it's the second, it's more up in the air. Anyone except Morathi and the Skaven should be OK--those are just a bit trickier. Either campaign would also be fine since their objectives are very different; though don't expect to win your first Mortal Empires campaign.
The penalty for not owning K8P is -2 public order for all provinces, don't know if there is any bonus for owning it.

Btw, are you going to make an OT?
karnage10 is here and I think he'd like to make the OT. He's working out some details last I heard.

OP
OP
Feral

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
oh yeah karnage10 can take over the OT if he wants. I just wanted to have a place to talk about the game
That would make sense but remember that Nagashizzar seems to be a capital city. I think Arkhan is going to be one of the starting ones. Besides, it makes no sense to have Khalida without Neferata as an undead target.
the problem I see with Neferata is that the VC army roster is more or less complete, aside from the Coven Throne. The "King and Warlord" style DLCs both came with an expansion of the unit selection. Though they could make her a standalone addition like Isabella

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Greenskins are surprisingly good against Skaven. There's too many archers and cavalry so Clanrat surprises are much less effective. And the Greenskins' greater numbers means the overwhelming amount of Skaven is less... overwhelming.
I liked his OT so that would be nice :)
Since he just joined ERA i don't know if he will be allowed by the mods.
Yeah, last I heard he's trying to sort out what he can do. Might take a bit of time.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing since yesterday, picked Empire because I haven't played them for ages. Game is very fun, the map does feel grand again. Hopefully they patch a few bugs with the battle AI (advancing with no formation). Solid all round though. Well done CA you have my trust back

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know why but feels like performance and visuals took a dip in this. I went back and forth between the two games and it's definitely not my eyes playing tricks... what gives? I know the map is huge but shouldn't the engine improve with time?
And the DX12 version still in beta after 2 games...

Anyways when it comes to the gameplay I started an empire campaign and want to dominate the old and new world but putting this on hold cause the LL have pre Norsca patch ability trees.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
All of the Foundation Update additions (mostly new lord skill trees and Norsca additions) will be added to Mortal Empires at a later date. CA couldn't get them in without delaying ME which they didn't want to do.

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it's not too long before that update, can't bring myself to play most of the old factions without it. Just about done with my very meandering HE Vortex campaign, quite eager to get a Skaven one going though, that should tide me over.

Houndi101

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't able to finish my Dark elf campaign before the blood dlc because it just felt wrong. (Also I absolutely hate the Vortex mechanics with rng spawning armies etc. but I guess I'll try)
Probably gonna go for Skarsnik world conquering for my first Mega-campaign.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Wasn't able to finish my Dark elf campaign before the blood dlc because it just felt wrong. (Also I absolutely hate the Vortex mechanics with rng spawning armies etc. but I guess I'll try)
Probably gonna go for Skarsnik world conquering for my first Mega-campaign.
People on reddit say that the new chaos invasion is like the vortex invasion. So they will go for you only and ignore all AI settlements -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.