• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Bummer =( Thanks, guess I'll play from Friday or Saturday then.
The download size seems to be only 65GB:
QYXHe9O.png

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
The download size seems to be only 65GB:
Maybe, but the installation size is 120GB (without the day-one patch).

The approximate installation size is ~120 GB, so we recommend starting early. Please also make sure there is enough space available on your drive to install the game. There will also be at least one more patch prior to playing, so you'll want to have a majority of the files ready-to-go if you want to play on day one!

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
It's ready to be downloaded. Around 120 GB as announced some days ago. 65 GB during download, around 120-130 GB installed

Last edited:

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
any of you lads get a separate key for ogre kingdoms, or just the one key for "warhammer pre-release" whatever it's called?

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
does steam still take awhile to unpack a pre-load?

I'm on fiber and 120GB would take ~20 minutes based on a test I did this morning. Might be faster to wait for 3:01am and then just do a regular download instead of pre-load and unpack

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
please dont

ever again
don't tease the slaneesh cultist. they thrive on the attention!
does steam still take awhile to unpack a pre-load?

I'm on fiber and 120GB would take ~20 minutes based on a test I did this morning. Might be faster to wait for 3:01am and then just do a regular download instead of pre-load and unpack
It takes a while to pre-load, specially if you have a HDD.

Personally I will download during the day since i'm working almost 12 hours.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm back to playing Total Warhammer II, playing as Azhag the Slaughterer in Mortal Empires, with the SFO Grimhammer overhaul. I hadn't played much since the Beastmen patch, and have only just come to appreciate how much that changed the landscape of Mortal Empires.

Now, keep in mind some of this may be due to SFO's changes, but Skaven have completely taken over the Southern half of the Old World. Clan Mors, as an AI, ACTUALLY TOOK FREAKIN' KARAK EIGHT PEAKS!! I always assumed that Thorek would empower the Dwarven domination, clearing out everything down there, but it seems that it's actually helped the Skaven out somehow. Could also be a case of bonkers RNG but dang I am impressed all the same.

In SFO, Azhag has special bonuses from Nagashizzar (including recruitment of undead units, up to Zombie Dragons!) so I've been heading that way from the start. Dwarves are being crushed from Grimgor and me, but it's Clan Mors that is just hoovering up everything; they field so many armies that the AI just seems afraid to engage him. It's actually very fitting for the Skaven, though spooky as heck to just see a quarter of the map as ruins.

Sorry Total Warhammer III, there's a vermintide to WAAAGH.
1fzjQ64.gif

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So I'm back to playing Total Warhammer II, playing as Azhag the Slaughterer in Mortal Empires, with the SFO Grimhammer overhaul. I hadn't played much since the Beastmen patch, and have only just come to appreciate how much that changed the landscape of Mortal Empires.

Now, keep in mind some of this may be due to SFO's changes, but Skaven have completely taken over the Southern half of the Old World. Clan Mors, as an AI, ACTUALLY TOOK FREAKIN' KARAK EIGHT PEAKS!! I always assumed that Thorek would empower the Dwarven domination, clearing out everything down there, but it seems that it's actually helped the Skaven out somehow. Could also be a case of bonkers RNG but dang I am impressed all the same.

In SFO, Azhag has special bonuses from Nagashizzar (including recruitment of undead units, up to Zombie Dragons!) so I've been heading that way from the start. Dwarves are being crushed from Grimgor and me, but it's Clan Mors that is just hoovering up everything; they field so many armies that the AI just seems afraid to engage him. It's actually very fitting for the Skaven, though spooky as heck to just see a quarter of the map as ruins.

1fzjQ64.gif
As someone that mostly plays vanilla I had also have happened with clan mors getting karak 8 peaks. What i see happening is that dwarfs can be wiped out if the GS make waaghs on their capital. If all the GS charge at dwarfs can lead to them be wiped pretty early. If dwarves survive 50-80 turns then they start to comeback. usuallly speaking if dwarfs hold 100 turns or so they should then be able to beat GS menace.

Skaven usually enter by back stabing the GS or attacking the smaller dwarfs/GS factions. As the GS generlaly have their armies to the north and their garisons are relatively bad then the skaven take control of the south.

Unless 1 of the order factions dominates their position (Settra, Kroq-gar,etc.) and the skaven don't fight among themselves they will push north heavily. After all there are 2 major clans nearby (mors and Eshin).
TBF almsot all otehr skaven clans get wiped early. Pestilance has very little chance to beat the mighty lizardmen factions in lustria. The Dark Elves usually dominate nagaroth so rictus gets beaten too. Skryre can last but is sorrounded by enemies so they never expand much. Moulder can be a threat if they get buddy with chaos but chances are they will attack everyone and get destroyed.

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017

1fzjQ64.gif

I have never played Greenskins. Maybe I should fix that.

I'm also back to WH2. Playing an SFO Hellebrone campaign. In SFO in particular, I have not seen AI Thorek do anything but get stuck in turtle mode in his start area. Queek expands and dominates early until Grimgor decides he's seen enough.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

I'm also back to WH2. Playing an SFO Hellebrone campaign. In SFO in particular, I have not seen AI Thorek do anything but get stuck in turtle mode in his start area. Queek expands and dominates early until Grimgor decides he's seen enough.
You should give them a try! GS is one of the most aggressive campaigns in the game.
If you have the DLC GS also have an extreme variety of armies and units.
You can make orc armies, goblin armies, savage orc armies and night goblin armies. Or just mix and match. You earn a LOT OF money by fighting so your cities are mostly expendable.
You can also set up a Waagh which makes your armies double their units for free but you have X amount of friends to take a certain settlement.
They are very different and fun!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

I've just started to see this in my game. Grimgor gets pushed into the Badlands, takes out Eshin, and is now moving back into the Badlands via Karak Azul. Queek's armies are divided between the Dwarves and him, and can only hope to win any fight in an ambush, which stacks the deck pretty heavily against him. If I hadn't taken Karaz-a-Karak from the Dwarves I imagine they would cut right through the Skaven.

Still can't see what Thorek is doing, but I imagine he gets pretty gridlocked by neighbouring the Wood Elves. Back before he debuted the Dwarves there would always get locked in a cold war with their neighbouring Wood Elves and never expand, perpetually afraid of losing their capital. Even if he does war Clan Mors, the AI is super reluctant to leave a capital undefended when enemies are so close.

And anyways, yeah, Greenskins are super fun. As karnage says, they're suuuper aggressive and have a nice, varied lineup, especially with DLC. You have a unique focus on constant battles to sustain your army and growth, with WAAAGHs giving you a massive numbers advantage for the larger wars. SFO gives the vanilla lords a whole lot more flair too, with some added units and mechanics to make them shine even brighter. In the most fitting way possible, they are all about fighting.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't tried SFO but on vanilla Thorek tends to either turtle up or get squished by Queek. Also depends a bit on how Kroq-Gar vs Queek and the Grimgor <--> Snikch <--> Thorgrim-wars play out.

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I play Khalida the only notable friend I make is Queek. He's always first in trade and relations. A solid good dude. (I absolutely hate fighting Rats -you kill 3 settlements -8 more pop up seemingly out of nowhere)

Kroq-gar however I despise. Just a bully from the get-go.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
There's only a few weeks before Immortal Empires is out. What better time to say goodbye to Mortal Empires?

Trying another game with Skaven, using SFO. Maybe this will be the time I try for a Long Victory. The vermintide cometh.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
There's only a few weeks before Immortal Empires is out. What better time to say goodbye to Mortal Empires?

Trying another game with Skaven, using SFO. Maybe this will be the time I try for a Long Victory. The vermintide cometh.
Have fun!

I uninstalled wh2 since wh3 release. I can't wait for the full map glory!

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
150 turns into this gelt campaign and i've decided that while i like playing the empire i fucking hate fighting nearly all its enemies. trying to chase around ikit to the tune of benny hill to my south and spending the past quarter of my campaign trapped in norsca fighting an endless amount of doomstacks of mammoths and rank 9 wolf guys that appear from the ether is getting increasingly miserable. it's frustrating because for norsca especially it really feels noticeable how little taking settlements against the ai matters and i'm basically forced to conquer 100% of norsca, largely through manual battles since autoresolve really seems to favour them, or deal with hordes of dudes burning down some random city in my heartlands i barely have time to prepare for, let alone catch.

wh2 is such a bizarre game to me since it's a ridiculously engrossing experience that manages to frustrate me like few games can. a lot of nights with the game getting closed because 3 15-20 stack armies appear from nowhere to serve me some decisive defeat previews

also i know why it's thematically appropriate why skaven get to initiate battles with an ambush but boy does it feel bad when it happens

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
150 turns into this gelt campaign and i've decided that while i like playing the empire i fucking hate fighting nearly all its enemies. trying to chase around ikit to the tune of benny hill to my south and spending the past quarter of my campaign trapped in norsca fighting an endless amount of doomstacks of mammoths and rank 9 wolf guys that appear from the ether is getting increasingly miserable. it's frustrating because for norsca especially it really feels noticeable how little taking settlements against the ai matters and i'm basically forced to conquer 100% of norsca, largely through manual battles since autoresolve really seems to favour them, or deal with hordes of dudes burning down some random city in my heartlands i barely have time to prepare for, let alone catch.

wh2 is such a bizarre game to me since it's a ridiculously engrossing experience that manages to frustrate me like few games can. a lot of nights with the game getting closed because 3 15-20 stack armies appear from nowhere to serve me some decisive defeat previews

also i know why it's thematically appropriate why skaven get to initiate battles with an ambush but boy does it feel bad when it happens

I usually don't bother with Ikit, up until the inevitable moment he shows up with nukes & other bullshit late in the campaign. Happens every single time, unless someone takes him out first. One thing the Empire campaigns do well IMO is pacing (especially for Karl,but also for Gelt) - there's a pretty well defined BIG BAD you need to deal with throughout the game from the beginning (Mannfred) to the end (Archeon and/or Grimgor) that feels thematic

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Sync kills are back! The Cathay ones are so so good. Can't wait for the blood pack and monster on monster sync kills. Hopefully they come with IE.

Alberic starts in Lustria
Both of you are in the wrong thread XD
this one is for warhammer 2

In terms of skaven ambush you can use encamp stance to theoretically stopped. In WH2 it is a pita to do this because you have to continuous change stances.
In wh3 you can move in encamp stance