• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Unless this is something that GW had sitting around in storage I think this is the first CA-created LL? If so that's pretty rad that they have so much freedom. She looks really cool and I'm a sucker for anything that has special summoned units.

That start though looks pretty hellish.

Her lore is a bit weird, doesn't feel over the top like most GW LL. That said she looks so so cool!! Tempted for her on my first playthrough. I wonder what her stats are. THis will be the first ghost LL and most Ghost heroes are incredibly powerful against armies that don't have magic damage

Cathay getting more likely by the minute.

LOL. It does indeed.

All of my predictions were wrong... bah.

Curious why some of the Mortal Empires provinces changed, regardless. Is it a hint for the next faction DLC???

They added sartosa and we got VC. So WE rework with next patch? maybe a new LL to start in oreon?

I don't see how Araby works given the current lord starting positions. Surely it would leave their area of the map incredibly crowded, whilst other areas like Lustria and the Dark Elf lands would remain relatively barren?

Speaking of which, does the final vampire coast lord start literally next to Mazamundi in the mortal empires map? I'm guessing the faction mechanics mean that they are encouraged to not expand immediately outwards but can form empires with linked coastal areas etc.

Have to be honest, overweight dead opera singer is not what I expected for the final lord - but love it!
IMO if araby has just 2LL it could fit near the tomb kings. There are a couple of provinces that have just filler factions

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Her lore is a bit weird, doesn't feel over the top like most GW LL. That said she looks so so cool!! Tempted for her on my first playthrough. I wonder what her stats are. THis will be the first ghost LL and most Ghost heroes are incredibly powerful against armies that don't have magic damage

I'm nearly positive she'll have a crazy story in the end. No other good way to explain how a simple court singer became some crazy hate-fueled sea witch.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah I don't really know if we'll see anything totally new. Maybe if they show off all the non-legendary lords that are supposedly recruitable. Also maybe the Merwyrm will be a unit? Probably not.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
So it sounded like they'll talk on Wednesday about some of the FLC stuff and then this weekend there's a multiplayer tournament where Vampirates will be playable.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
From the stream via reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/9ocwlc/vampire_coast_roster_liveblog/
Main Faction trait - extra powder. The more ammo the range units have, the more damage they do with each shot. As they run out, their shots weaken. Threshold, probably 50% cut off? Units kind of have limited ammo, intended to play into this and encourage using Gunnery Wights

Luther Harkon and Infantry - finished his section

Key things to specialize in - he is of the Blood Dragon dynasty (bloodlines becoming relevant?), flawless duelist but with range capacity (fire while moving with pistol)

Think we see a fleet captain behind him? Seems female too. Confirmed, one hero per Lord (4 total?). Come with Lore of Vampires, Deep, so on (very similar to Vampire heroes in Vampire counts). Heavily armored and mobile, can also mount a Rotting Promethean

Zombie Deckhands mob - Cannon fodder. Expendable trash tier. 2 variants - standard and polearm variant (polearm is AP apparently, although not skillful)

Zombie Gunnery Mobs - little more useful. Pistol variant confirmed (fire while moving, forward only, not AP). Also a handgunner variant (AP, think Empire but far less accurate). Abilities can boost accuracy though

Zombie Gunnery Mob with Bombs - Think Miners with blasting charges?

Zombie Gunnery mob with Hand cannon - think shotgun - short range, but high mass high spread shots. Idea is to disrupt shots for more opportunities to shoot them.

Depth Guard - 2 variants. Not intended to form front line, but to supplement a meatshield frontline. Small model number (smaller than Chosen!). One is Dual Axes, another with Halberd. Embedding in units of fodder recommended - even moreso than Vampire Counts.

Syreen - counted as infantry here. Flanking AP infantry, still more used to bog down enemy for guns. Ethereal, "Charmed" effect. Think poison, but lowering melee attack (and weapon strength too?). Wonder if we'll see hero variant?

Count Noctilus and Monsters - finished his section

Talking about his start location, Galleon's Graveyard. again, everything is nearby for plenty of choices

Noctilus himself is a brick wall - tanky compared to the other lords. Capable of magic (hasn't mentioned lore, presumed Shadows?). Has "X" ability (didn't catch), for leadership fixing. Comes with halberd. As we know, he can ride a Necrofex Colossus

Mourngul Haunter - hero variant, a little bit ethereal (appearance wise or ability?)

Mournguls - wendigos that have been cut in half. Did show off their creepy movement animation. Have the stalk and vanguard attribute, so creepy ambush is a go!

Necrofex Colossus - Ranged monster, can fire 4 cannonballs at a time (fires in combat, AP Damage), possibly fire on the move? Kill at range or else. Has ability "Abandon Ship!" that triggers at half health. Sounds like it will summon zombie deckhands when that happens. Similar to the Abomination's skill, but 100% chance while still alive. Idea is that it's an escape mechanic. Long range, almost Cygor style artillery function

Rotting Leviathan - Full blown shipwreck as hermit crab shell. Role is intended as a linebreaker. Tons of mass, hitpoints and armor, intended to break through elite infantry and tear up their missile line. Again, melee will not be doing much damage, but he should tarpit them for quite a while - freeing up guns to shoot them down.

Rotting Promethean - 2 variants! Standard, and with gunnery mobs mounted on them. Have Charge defense vs large? (can't really hear speech over crab sounds). Have AP attacks. The mounted variant have hand cannons, so that nasty AP high mass shots. Described as essentially living creatures, so be at ease Saltspite fans

Scurvy Dogs - similar to the VC hounds. Fast moving and intended to harass enemy backline

Fellbats - also back, basically ignored since their the same as VC version

Animated Hulks - Horrific fusion of corpses, sea creatures, and ship stuff (cannons for Arms!). Frankenstein would be proud

Bloated Corpse - single entity. Legitimate suicide bomber - charges at enemy, and if they make contact... boom! Described as oneshotting Chaos warriors if they make it to them. However, they will also explode if they are shot too much... and since they do friendly fire, potential for chain reactions.

Terrorgheist - you know it, you love it. These are the 'Death Shriek" variant, essentially a rename to justify Barnacles and algae galore

Cylostra and Artillery - Started now.

More going into her backstory, ATM same as her blurb on Academy. Described as having mutineed the ship that was taking her to Ulthuan when the captain said it was too risky to ride through a storm to make it to Ulthuan on time. Arrogant enough to try and sing the storm into submission (you can imagine how well that went). Came back through her own spite and rage, implied to want to drown all of Ulthuan so she can finally, properly give her concert

Sure enough, she is a ghost, floating on her lightning cloud. Ethereal spellcaster, Lore of the Deep. Uses that proper magic in melee, not to really deal damage, but to cause

I think I saw a single unit ghost? Hero unit? Ghostly Paladin that only she can summon (proper recruit presumably, since displayed before battle start).

Gunnery Wight - hero unit, designed to keep ammunition reserves high. Not only is this always valuable, but plays into the Extra Powder ability. Considered a fundamental core of the roster, can be mounted on a Rotting Promethean.

Carronade - traditional arc-fire cannon, pulled straight off a ship, covered in sea-detritus and taken to the battlefield. AP, long range, you know the drill. Cheaper than other cannons, but that's because they have terrible accuracy. But zombie crew means no routing - have to wipe out the unit (or just make them crumble).

Mortar - again, similar to the empire variant, it has a higher arc of fire. Described as having more synergy with the roster, due to tarpits, slows, and already having terrible accuracy

Queen Bess - only can have one at a time; basically counts as a regiment of renown. Large arc, so no hiding behind terrain. Shots have "Monstrous Impact" effect - getting hit will also cripple the speed of the unit, setting them up for more punishment. Described as easily the biggest artillery piece in the game, possible just biggest model period. Most expensive artillery in the game too. This is very much a build-around unit

Aranessa and her Unique unit

Vampire first mates are included reluctantly by Saltspite, used as a "Fight fire with Fire" option so she can more effectively wipe out the actual vampire pirates.

Sartossan Free Company - her unique unit (only one, but you get multiple). Not actually a Free Company reskin - they carry lots of Boarding axes, for AP damage (no Anti-large or infantry? Back to game sounds drowning out the talking). Described as both cheap and available early. Definitely intended to be easily spammed in campaign

ROR Sneak peak - Red Mournguls, Prometheans, possibly more shown that I missed

Also have Vampire Admirals as generic Lords. Can come with Lore of Death, Deep, and Vampires.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Most of the stuff looked FUCKING FANTASTIC.
Some units were a bit disappointing though, like the Sartosa special unit.
What did you disliked about the sartosa special uni? They looked exactly what i expected. I just expected there would be more human units and less undead fodder.

The necroflex colossos, the leviathen and queen bess are much better then i expected. I also really enjoy the "wet" look of the units.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Main issue I have atm is I feel the faction is going to be kinda weirdly balanced. They'll either be like goblins with a ton of upgrades in the skill tree and lord trees so that zombies are actually stupidly good when fully upgraded and you'll stomp everything with your low cost super effective armies, or they won't be and then you'll have to basically stack a bunch of elite units all over and only end up with very few zombies because they're such poor units overall and it's just more efficient to run 8 depth guard than 8 zombies lategame once you can afford it.

I wish they added modular army size in TW:W2(Skaven were prime candidate for it) or gave some units half a slot in size or something like that, so you could field larger armies of crappy units or smaller armies of stronger units. With a 20cap on every army, it always makes more sense to just stack the strongest per slot you can get, especially with additional armies upkeep % increase(so you can't really just run around with 5armies of trash tier units because they end up as expensive as 1 elite army and 1 trash army over time).

Looks great otherwise, there's not that many units but there's a lot of variants and the units look pretty nice to play with. I tend to like ranged centric strategies too so having every other units with canons and firearms seems nice.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

So the lore bit seems to be that she was sent off to sing for the Phoenix King. Storm comes up and the captain of the ship wants to turn around, she gets mad that she's going to miss her performance, throws him overboard and plows into the heart of the storm, trying to sing it away. The boat inevitably capsizes. She then comes back from the dead through sheer force of anger at missing her performance, so now she wants to sink Ulthuan under the waves with her so she can finally sing for Finubar.

Sounds suitably Warham to me.

Also that boat spell looks really cool.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still marvelling at the concept of an operatic ghost, especially on the battlefield. It's so good.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I guess i'll play through another WH campaign.

This might be first undead faction that i find really, really fun looking.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Another Dark Elf legendary lord, when they have 3 and Lizardmen have only 2, was definitely not what I expected right now.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Another Dark Elf legendary lord, when they have 3 and Lizardmen have only 2, was definitely not what I expected right now.
Well the 3rd is from a DLC which Lizardmen don't have right now but will get eventually. And it makes sense to add a corsair LL to go toe to toe with the new pirates factions.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The VC changes sound fantastic. They've really got their own campaign map playstyle now, beyond just "spread corruption everywhere". It will be difficult to not just use them instead of the vampirates.

And karnage's island must be Lokhir Fellheart's starting position. The FLC's new playstyle sounds very interesting, but I admit I'm kinda bummed it's not Malus Darkblade.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The new vampire mechanics being for Mortal Empires Only is a bit weird isn't it - dont rebalances normally affect both games? I fancied playing vampire counts but have always avoided mortal empires due to what everyone has mentioned about Chaos and the end game.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The new vampire mechanics being for Mortal Empires Only is a bit weird isn't it - dont rebalances normally affect both games? I fancied playing vampire counts but have always avoided mortal empires due to what everyone has mentioned about Chaos and the end game.
They're separate games, so no. Game 2 introduces a lot of new mechanics, and the new combined campaign, which has led to the Game 1 factions being kinda left in the dust. These updates are meant to bring them more up to par.

Including them in Game 2 is basically the way they keep Game 1 relevant, because you need to own the faction to play them.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
They did the same for Dwarfs I think. Basically the game while similar work differently and changing TW:W1 would require different code than changing the race in ME, and that's not even far fetched when you look at the shit that happened with Norsca and how long it took them to fix it to add them to ME.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
I like all about the new free-dlc and the VC updates. The new Dark Elf lord seems fun, Kelmmer finally gets is own faction in Bretonnia's mountains and new gimmicks, all the VC factions have some new techs and a new currency to get new Vampire lords from the 5 vampire clans, and the Carstein can recruit a small amount of human units (a cool nod to the all warhammer fans that are deep into the lore).

The only downside is that the new 4 vampire lords (the Strigoi one exist since the DLC) doesn't have fully new models, but I'm fine because it's free and I'm sure that the modders will do some cool things to them.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I must say, I've had a few games where Mousillon took over 90% of Bretonnia and Empire territory. I'm not looking forward to the Mousillon/Kemmler double team.

It's the worst because they completely sandbag the Chaos defense with their ruin-nabbing ways.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I love how much different the map feels with each DLC/FLC update. Suddenly there's just so much more stuff going on no matter who you play. Suddenly there will be freaking pirates roaming the seas and more spooky vampires that can't be held at bay with Untainted.

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
So from watching the factions fly by on the Stream whenever the guy clicked End Turn, it looks like Mortal Empires will be getting:

• The four main Vampire Coast factions
  • One minor Vampire Coast faction (unless others were already destroyed before start of stream)
  • Lokhir Fellheart's playable Dark Elf faction
  • Heinrich Kimmler's playable Vampire Count faction
  • The return of Sudenburg as a minor Empire faction
  • The return of Bowmen of Oreon as a minor Wood Elf faction
  • At least 7 factions of a new version of Rogue Armies that have a blue stripe on their logo instead of red. If I had to guess, I'd say these are who Vampire Coast armies defeat for Pieces of Eight to unlock their Regiments of Renown (and that there was probably an 8th one that already got killed before the start of the stream).
That adds a lot of variety to the campaign map with just one update.

I'm also glad that turn times don't bother me.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Are the Tomb King quest armies always on the map? For some reason I thought it was only if you played them. Those are going to be crowded seas!

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
No, the Rogue Armies with the Books of Nagash only appear if a player is controlling a Tomb King faction.

It's apparently different with these Rogue Pirates, probably to add more content to the sea and make the new island battles more worthwhile.

However the armies that hold the verses to the magic sea shanty will probably only appear if you're actually playing as the Vampire Coast.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
This update looks so good. I have been looking for a new ME map.
I found this on the web
xejLkI8.png

This has all the factions.
IMO Lustria still feels very empty, araby is suspiciously empty, empire is still empty, kislev deserves some love, the TEB factions should be playable, albion looks like a great position for a lizadmen LL, nagaroth should get a norscan LL and i think having a new WE playable faction in Oreon could be fun. If CA does all f this i think they complete all my wishlist for game 2

That said, do you guys remember this map?
map_1605.jpg

I think we currently have more LL then there were factions in the base game. It makes you think how far this game has come.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
i've been getting into watching some competitive Warhammer recently. It seems surprisingly well done even though there's obviously some match-up issues with how much faction diversity there is nowadays.

Are 1v1 battles popular or is it just a minority of people that play it?

Campaign is obviously still the main attraction.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more likely that they'll shift around some existing LLs from the OG factions for some of the empty spaces. Spreading out the Greenskins, Empire, Bretonnians, and Wood Elves makes a lot of sense for ME due to how clustered they are in the Old World.

For the final DLC faction, Araby makes a lot of sense, but I'm still holding out for Amazons.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
The lizard/rat DLC could definitely flesh out Lustria a bit LL wise. I don't know if all three should go there but two could probably fit.

And yeah hopefully Araby could be an upcoming DLC.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine they're holding off on new Skaven/Lizardmen lords because the Lord DLC will add some sort of new stuff to them that potential new lords could work off of.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I imagine they're holding off on new Skaven/Lizardmen lords because the Lord DLC will add some sort of new stuff to them that potential new lords could work off of.

Nah, i think they had originally planned to release the Lizard FLC lord with the new army pack but then realized it was more thematic to give the Dark Elf pirate with the army of pirates DLC.

According to the FLC schedule images they gave us in the past at least.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, i think they had originally planned to release the Lizard FLC lord with the new army pack but then realized it was more thematic to give the Dark Elf pirate with the army of pirates DLC.

According to the FLC schedule images they gave us in the past at least.
Ack, I forgot about that entirely.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
i can only play on the night of 15th of november... also CK2 is releasing DLC 13th... If only they released 1 week later it would be so much easier.
My future is under assault by video game companies!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Battletech's expansion is late November. And Stellaris: Megacorps might release this year, still.

November is the Month of Strategy.