• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
ohhh what if it's for chaos, and lets them remaster their presence in mortal empires? (in preparation for game 3)

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
No more campaign packs could mean that Warhammer 3 is closer than we think. Maybe. Or maybe not.

The patch notes look great, lots of AI improvements as well!

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Those patch notes are very exciting. I like that they are buffing Grimgor more and more with each patch, hope he gets some goodies with the Greenskins overhaul as well.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
No more campaign packs could mean that Warhammer 3 is closer than we think. Maybe. Or maybe not.

The patch notes look great, lots of AI improvements as well!
with 3 kingdoms next month, warhammer 3 won't release in 2019. I think at best it would release late 2020 but i'm more inclined for 2021. For 2020 CA could release another saga game.
I hope i'm wrong because i wish wh3 launched tomorrow!
Those patch notes are very exciting. I like that they are buffing Grimgor more and more with each patch, hope he gets some goodies with the Greenskins overhaul as well.
I really want GS and empire to be updated; From the lroe i read grimgor should be similar to tyrion/hellebron in battle yet he feels closer to queek/wulfrik.
the ai changes sound huge. should make the gameplay a LOT more interesting
Yeah that was interesting, for example with no autoresolve bonus for played factions i wonder how many LL are planned for WH2-3. I'm afraid big minors will eliminate the famous factions (looking at kislev, red fangs,etc.) but if CA can find a balance then the game will have a lot more of replayability

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
from the changes it seems like they're trying to make the in-game ai factions more loreful. not necessarily playing to win as playing their role.

but, if the ai has better economies the playable factions should pull ahead via confederations and their other perks regardless.

the changes to order will make such a difference for player-led factions. raiding, sacking, and spreading corruption will be waaay more viable now.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Hello! New player that got back on the horse after owning the game for a couple years. So excited for the new DLC and updates - which lord are you guys going for?

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I think I might go for Ikit Claw first. I love the high-tech focus he has and I really want to see how strong you can get that stuff with the Forbidden Workshop and all the buffs.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played either but I'm thinking of going Tehenhauin in a Vortex campaign to start, and then maybe try Bretonnia in a ME campaign later.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
If future Lord packs are as meaty as this one i'm fine with no more campaigns until WH3.

It is starting to be pretty crowded on that map, and improving how the AI plays the game is just as much of a gamechanger as a new race imo.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Thing is, now, all WH2 factions have 4 lords. Anymore lords to them would mean that the WH2 factions would be amongst the more stacked factions in terms of lords (only the vamps have more than 4). Because let's face it, they won't add anymore lords to the WH1 factions at this point. They might add some to Norsca but it would be rather unlikely for the others.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Hello! New player that got back on the horse after owning the game for a couple years. So excited for the new DLC and updates - which lord are you guys going for?
I'm going for tehenhauin! Nothing will stop my skink army from fulfilling the great plan
I think I might go for Ikit Claw first. I love the high-tech focus he has and I really want to see how strong you can get that stuff with the Forbidden Workshop and all the buffs.
Zoidn i'm sure you mean you will go to ikit claw first after finishing two or 3 lizardmen campaigns. I'm sure not one can resist the new skinks!
I haven't played either but I'm thinking of going Tehenhauin in a Vortex campaign to start, and then maybe try Bretonnia in a ME campaign later.
For the great plan!
Thing is, now, all WH2 factions have 4 lords. Anymore lords to them would mean that the WH2 factions would be amongst the more stacked factions in terms of lords (only the vamps have more than 4). Because let's face it, they won't add anymore lords to the WH1 factions at this point. They might add some to Norsca but it would be rather unlikely for the others.

IMO CA would waste an opportunity to not do at least 1 lord pack which consist new world race vs old world race. While for some it might be considered DLC for DLC I think most players would accept it since it gives an opportunity to fresh out the features and the rosters of the races.
I completely agree that with what we know wh1 Lords are unlikely, however i disagree with norsca receiving more LL. Any addition to norsca will probably be from WoC roster and thus i think CA will not do it until wh3 DLC plan is defined.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
IMO CA would waste an opportunity to not do at least 1 lord pack which consist new world race vs old world race. While for some it might be considered DLC for DLC I think most players would accept it since it gives an opportunity to fresh out the features and the rosters of the races.
I completely agree that with what we know wh1 Lords are unlikely, however i disagree with norsca receiving more LL. Any addition to norsca will probably be from WoC roster and thus i think CA will not do it until wh3 DLC plan is defined.

Now that i think of it, Bretonnians and Chaos Warriors could be an option. Being free factions, they could potentially be made available to WH2 without needing to own WH1. You could have for instance a pack adding a new Chaos lord starting somewhere random in the Vortex with a tweeked Mortal Empire campaign objective. And same with the Bretonnians with a possible new Lord starting in the desert (Origo).

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Chaos is free? I thought you had to pre-order WH1 to get 'em.

As weird as it would be to release DLC for 'DLC' I think most people would be fine with it, but I would be curious to see the purchase rates compared to other traditional packs.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Ah my bad, Chaos Warriors are not free you are right. They were free for Preorder but could be bought afterwards for those who did not preorder.

But the Bretonnians are indeed free, at the very least.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Now that i think of it, Bretonnians and Chaos Warriors could be an option. Being free factions, they could potentially be made available to WH2 without needing to own WH1. You could have for instance a pack adding a new Chaos lord starting somewhere random in the Vortex with a tweeked Mortal Empire campaign objective. And same with the Bretonnians with a possible new Lord starting in the desert (Origo).

I was actually thinking something along this lines:
DLC pack:
- skaven LL (clan moulder)
- empire LL (middenland)
FLC -> lizardmen LL

If CA does this type of packs they need to balance between "devaluing" previous DLC as well as giving enough new content to the owners of the previous DLC.

Personally i'd be up for such a pack specially if it meant not only completing certain races (looking at beastmen and GS) as well as giving new "hybrid" LLs (similar to Arielle and Arkhan).

Chaos is free? I thought you had to pre-order WH1 to get 'em.

As weird as it would be to release DLC for 'DLC' I think most people would be fine with it, but I would be curious to see the purchase rates compared to other traditional packs.
When wh2 released i "stalked" steamspy numbers, wh2 was selling around 55-60% of what wh1 did in the same time frame. Which i was disappointed by, i wish companies told the numbers because i wonder:
  • How many people bought wh1 then bought wh2
  • How many people bought wh2 THEN wh1
  • What is the DLC buy rate for the owners
Do note that wh2 might have sold less in the same timeframe, wh1 was heavily discounted a few months after released with its inclusion in humble monthly. Wh2 hasn't received that type of discount despite been released more then a year ago.
IMO warhammer business model is the best in the industry. It has not only allowed for the game to receive support for years but kept the quality content very high. Even PDS has "crappy" DLCs yet total war has kept the new content interesting and fresh.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
When wh2 released i "stalked" steamspy numbers, wh2 was selling around 55-60% of what wh1 did in the same time frame. Which i was disappointed by, i wish companies told the numbers because i wonder:
  • How many people bought wh1 then bought wh2
  • How many people bought wh2 THEN wh1
  • What is the DLC buy rate for the owners
Do note that wh2 might have sold less in the same timeframe, wh1 was heavily discounted a few months after released with its inclusion in humble monthly. Wh2 hasn't received that type of discount despite been released more then a year ago.
IMO warhammer business model is the best in the industry. It has not only allowed for the game to receive support for years but kept the quality content very high. Even PDS has "crappy" DLCs yet total war has kept the new content interesting and fresh.

Yeah I got WH1 with the humble monthly and played 5 hours as Dwarfs before getting bopped by Greenskins and then dropping the game. My friend convinced me to grab WH2 sometime last year with the promise of a co-op campaign and Mortal Empires, but we were both super confused. I think we played Bordeleaux at the time and just slowly died.

I somehow have a bunch of the faction DLC for WH1, missing Beastmen, Chaos and the Lord DLCs. I'm so satisfied with the state of WH2 and I think it's a pretty great achievement to meld the two games together so seamlessly by continuing to support the old races and bringing them up to the level of the new ones.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yeah I got WH1 with the humble monthly and played 5 hours as Dwarfs before getting bopped by Greenskins and then dropping the game. My friend convinced me to grab WH2 sometime last year with the promise of a co-op campaign and Mortal Empires, but we were both super confused. I think we played Bordeleaux at the time and just slowly died.

I somehow have a bunch of the faction DLC for WH1, missing Beastmen, Chaos and the Lord DLCs. I'm so satisfied with the state of WH2 and I think it's a pretty great achievement to meld the two games together so seamlessly by continuing to support the old races and bringing them up to the level of the new ones.
IMO the biggest flaw of the warhammer trilogy is the lack of information for new players. As someone that started in WH2 what do you thin of my OT? is it good enough for new players? if not what do you think i should improve?

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Steam isn't updating ahhhhhh

IMO the biggest flaw of the warhammer trilogy is the lack of information for new players. As someone that started in WH2 what do you thin of my OT? is it good enough for new players? if not what do you think i should improve?

I was helped out by BreezyLimbo and Hella in the GB OT so I can't say from a completely new player standpoint, but looking over it now I think it's a really solid overview. I like the update history since it gives me an idea of which old races have received the most updates since WH2.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I wish i had an SSD for the updating/loading.
Don't forget you'll need to go hit download on TicTaqTo as well. Restart Steam if it doesn't start updating.
Just want to add that the game needs around 60Gb for updating and it takes a while. Even if you see 0 Mb/s of download look at the HDD writing speed.
Ahhh i dont know who to play first...
Skinks obviously! All are part of the great plan!

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I already died as Tehenhauin once =_=

But made it to Turn 13 on my second try. Playing Vortex on my SSD, I can't tell if it's because I just finished a ME campaign or the SSD, but loading into battles is so fast!

Oct 25, 2017
Is the dlc worth it? the FLC lizardmen lord kind of sucks because it only has access to terradons and his bonuses are to flying units

benj

Oct 27, 2017
been playing Vampire Coast, having fun with the guns and artillery, but I have a couple questions

1. I've heard that Vampire Fleet Captains can establish Pirate Coves, but I created one and she can't interact with cities at all. What's the deal? e: oh, woops, that isn't a port city. it's right on the coast. heh.
  2. I'm trying to play the 'float around, establish lots of coves' playstyle, but I feel like I overwhelmingly come across coastal cities that have a fully-stacked lord squatting on them with better units than I have. I usually just keep sailing, but pretty quick 10 turns have gone by and all I've done is sailed up the coast and upgraded my ship a few times, basically accomplishing nothing of value. what am I missing? am I just getting super unlucky with enemy lord positioning?

Oct 25, 2017
been playing Vampire Coast, having fun with the guns and artillery, but I have a couple questions

1. I've heard that Vampire Fleet Captains can establish Pirate Coves, but I created one and she can't interact with cities at all. What's the deal? e: oh, woops, that isn't a port city. it's right on the coast. heh.
  2. I'm trying to play the 'float around, establish lots of coves' playstyle, but I feel like I overwhelmingly come across coastal cities that have a fully-stacked lord squatting on them with better units than I have. I usually just keep sailing, but pretty quick 10 turns have gone by and all I've done is sailed up the coast and upgraded my ship a few times, basically accomplishing nothing of value. what am I missing? am I just getting super unlucky with enemy lord positioning?

maybe go for ulthuan with noctilus

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

You can establish pirate coves with heroes, if you have the money. This can be useful for those rich, well defended capitals like ulthuan since you don't have to fight them to establish the cove.

One other thing that might be important is to consistently go for the maritime treasures early game. Seems like easy money. And you get a bunch of experience through fights.

I don't know how easy/hard a purely pirate cove playstyle is though. It should be viable in theory, but i can see how it could lead to dead turns.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
pirate coves are really helpful, but you kinda still need (coastal) territory. for armies and the economy to sustain them.

the thing vampirates can do is conquer the easiest targets, rather than their direct neighbours like most factions. it will lead to some very slow turns (and a tough invasion initially, before corruption sinks in), but pays off imo.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Is the dlc worth it? the FLC lizardmen lord kind of sucks because it only has access to terradons and his bonuses are to flying units

If you like playing as LM or Skaven I think it's a no-brainer. Many of the new units are very fun to play with and both lords have pretty unique and flavorful campaigns. You can probably get it on a key site for less than $8, so to me it seems pretty value if you like those races.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Ive had a spot of trouble with an Aranessa campaign and eventually had to drop it after trying both Vortex and ME multiple times. I think normal armies with an expand and hold mentality are much easier for me to grasp so I went with Dwarfs and now Tehenhauin. I do want to try them again though, just because Aranessa was a bit of a rival in my first Tyrion campaign, but I just don't really know how to play them very well.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
New Skinks start is haarrrrrrd. 3 stacks of ratmen at the closest settlement and I cant break through :(
Me too i had to restart my ME campaign because i was crushed by harkon...
like all Lord packs it really depends if you want to expand the roster of the races (in this case lizardmen and skaven).

Tehenhauin offers a hard start for lizardmen in a very contested location. His unique mechanic is sacrificing enemies; he gains sacrifices similar to DE slaves but instead of money he uses those as a currency for buffs, spells, RoR,etc.
The new units of the lizardmen try to make skink-dino army more viable. This allows for new type of lizardmen army that is very "cheap" (when compared to a sauros counterpart).

Ikit claw offers a medium start in a very contested area. i'd increase the dificulty to hard if the AI gangs up on you. His unique mechanic is an atomic bomb and a workshop that heavily buffs skryre units. Usually i don't add comments on design because it is very subjective however i ahve to mention ikit claw's animations are out of this world, they are really incredible.
The new units of the skaven are very interesting roster-wise, they give the skaven high damage in mid range ranged combat as well as give an early line disrupter unit.

My opinion:
  • Recomended at full price if you like to play as both races
  • Recomended at sale if you just like one race
  • not recomended if you already didn't like any race
I think the "Is it worth it?" question hinges on the above. Before buying it look at the isthereanydeal website, you can get the DLC for something like 6€ which where i live is an incredebly price because it is less expensive then buying a ticket for a movie.

1. settlements that can have a pirate cove have an anchor symbol on them.
  2. while pirate coves can give you quite a bit of money i doubt they are powerful enough to sustain several elite armies of the vampire coast. Vampire coast is a very "unbalanced" army, at range they are formidable but in melee they need the high tier units to have a solid frontline for their ranged troop be able to win. My point is that if you just focus on pirate coves it takes too long to be able to afford armies strong enough to push against the strongest enemies. you need to use heros to establish pirate coves in strong cities, raze/sack the small cities. Sieges are not very hard when you have queen bess.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
lol, i was trying to dip my toe in the clan skryre mortal empires start and... i got a ctd when upgrading skavenblight's settlement. i'll attribute that to using old drivers on dx12 i guess.

or else fate really doesn't want me to play

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
welp my tehenhauin campaign is dead

hard/hard is seriously rough, had back to back pyrrhic/close victories I managed to establish two provinces. But then I didn't have a great option to expand, since everything had been partly taken over with huge strongholds on the capitals. Maybe this is too dependent on variables but how do you guys approach sieging when they have a mustering/full stack and a big garrison to bolster? Normally I just try and overwhelm them with two or even more full stacks and just bulldoze them that way, but my economy was in a terrible spot this entire game and I couldn't really get anything going. Would you try and take the capital in a last ditch desperation move, or is it best to just wait it out and slowly tech?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

hard/hard is seriously rough, had back to back pyrrhic/close victories I managed to establish two provinces. But then I didn't have a great option to expand, since everything had been partly taken over with huge strongholds on the capitals. Maybe this is too dependent on variables but how do you guys approach sieging when they have a mustering/full stack and a big garrison to bolster? Normally I just try and overwhelm them with two or even more full stacks and just bulldoze them that way, but my economy was in a terrible spot this entire game and I couldn't really get anything going. Would you try and take the capital in a last ditch desperation move, or is it best to just wait it out and slowly tech?
i'd try to ambush, if there's no other option. or lure them out by leaving a settlement undefended. anything to split them up.

or else just make peace and get them later.

waiting is the worst option imo, because the ai will always outpace you.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

Stances are important for these situations. Raid/ambush are good options ot lure out armies.

If you feel confident you could beat the army, but not in a siege battle, you can lay siege and wait for the AI to attack you. If you are at even or below the army strenght of the AI they will almost always try to break the siege immediately and you'll get a field battle instead.

That said, if you can't field the 2 armies necessary i also often just attack something else. If the Ai concentrates its forces, there's usually an easier target somewhere else.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
ikit claw can do some truly evil things. like, infinite ammo on gunners is amaaazing; they just melt people.

the vermintide is a go

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
Do the ratling gunner teams have the same issue with Empire/Dwarf gunners in that they refuse to shoot over/through friendly lines, even if there's only a couple of units in between or one unit is surrounded by enemies?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
i dunno when it changed, but from below clanrats seem to expire a lot sooner than before. makes using them a much more strategic choice.
Do the ratling gunner teams have the same issue with Empire/Dwarf gunners in that they refuse to shoot over/through friendly lines, even if there's only a couple of units in between or one unit is surrounded by enemies?
i'm pretty sure they shoot straight, yeah. anything directly between them and their target will obstruct them.

those types of units are worth accomodating--they're all very powerful.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

I find them less finicky than Thunderers/handguns but they aren't quite at pure Skaven levels of disregard for their fellow rat. CA said in their recent AMA that they could potentially look at a friendly fire on/off option, so maybe that'll come.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Re you playing in vortex or me?
In ME with hard/hard i defeat the skaven army, recruit a few troops then go after the skaven city. After having the skaven city i force march to the ruins of the settlement of your province. search ruins then ocupy. After this force march to the recently conquered settlement and recruit a few more troops. Conquer the vampire coast in the north to complete the province. Disband 50% of the army and turtle. Once all cities have walls and money building complete your army + recruit a new one with 10-15 units. Go after the vampire coast capital. After this it is all about conquering the vampire coast province as well as look at hexoatl for confederation.
I think I took 40-50 turns for that. Once you have those 2 provinces you can easily expand as long as you don't pick too many fights.

ikit claw can do some truly evil things. like, infinite ammo on gunners is amaaazing; they just melt people.

the vermintide is a go
The under-empire also helps dealing with the food problem making it easier to have positive numbers. It is really cool.

They behave similarly, however do note that if you have a unit sorrounded by enemies direct line ranged troops will fire into the mix. what is important is whether there is a friendly target in direct LoS.

i dunno when it changed, but from below clanrats seem to expire a lot sooner than before. makes using them a much more strategic choice.

i'm pretty sure they shoot straight, yeah. anything directly between them and their target will obstruct them.

those types of units are worth accomodating--they're all very powerful.
Consumo units now are supposed to last only X ammount of seconds. I think clan rats are supposed to die in 1 min or so. It is one of the few changes of the patch that I am a bit sceptical.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Consumo units now are supposed to last only X ammount of seconds. I think clan rats are supposed to die in 1 min or so. It is one of the few changes of the patch that I am a bit sceptical.

Nerfing summons was pretty necessary imo. They were just too universally good. I'm sure there's still numbers to move around here and there, but I think the change writ-large was a good idea. Especially making them able to route/crumble.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like they should call from below a skaven strike or something. or just reword the tooltip. it ends a lot more suddenly that you will expect, with units being wiped out for seemingly no reason.

i don't think the change is unjustified tho. for skaven especially, it felt like they were getting away with something every time they used it.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else done the Plaque of Sotek quest battle? It was one of the harder battles I've done, I think I just had very low tech for what they intended.

Tried it initially with a very low tier army and got pretty much smashed. I then reformed with RCS, Chameleons, 3 Salamander Hunting Packs and an Ancient Salamander. I thought that'd be enough but I barely got by.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017

You absolutely can play like that. I just won a Vortex campaign (normal/normal) as Count Noctilus doing exactly that. The only land I held for the entire campaign was the Galleon's Graveyard. Of all the Pirates, Count Noctilus seems perfectly made for opportunistically sacking port cities and setting up pirate coves because of his isolated starting location. Between sacking and my income from pirate coves, I had a good enough economy to field 2 "ships" with elite units, and a 3rd with more common (but decent) units by the time I won.

For the first half of the campaign I relied upon just Count Noctilus and did fine. It was fun never having to worry about public order or building cities. For the first 1/3 of the campaign I sailed all the way around Ulthuan looking for less defended ports and sacked/established pirate coves. I wasn't even aware that I could use a hero to do that for $. Towards the end of the campaign I could've confederated Aranessa and Cylostra, but I didn't want to deal with all of their amassed territory.

In order to play like this, it's important to remember that the vampire pirate factions can play like a horde faction by upgrading the "ships". I didn't rely on recruiting from Galleon's Graveyard for my units after the first 1/4 of the campaign. The beautiful thing about the factions is that they benefit from both global and horde recruiting if you need it. In fact, I would say it has the best of both concepts without the downsides. Most horde play experiences have deteriorating "waagh" or beast angst (whatever it's called) that drive the player to keep fighting. The pirates don't have to worry about that.

I'm not sure if it's still as easy to play like this on hard/hard, but on normal I would say go for it, it's a fun way to play the game.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
the skaven redux has done wonders for their gameplay style. with the under-empire metagame, they basically have an 'intrigue' system that lets them grow and manipulate others without actually ever doing anything on the map, per se. it's a really innovative new angle for gameplay. i can't get over how awesome it is.

the new campaign ai is also pretty good. it's eliminated the weird megastacks and immense defenses of some factions, leading to a much more dynamic and interesting campaign map. areas change hands and borders flip around all the time. the conflicts and factions at play feel a lot more organic and real now.

it's really nice to see ai affected by order, too.

this is the best total waagh has ever been.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Some people seem bummed at the AI changes but I think they're great. Things change so much more from campaign to campaign and no one ever really seems to take over an entire continent.

The new lords are a lot of fun, the new units are amazing and reworked mechanics for all three races seem really good. It's kinda scary how amazingly this game continues to evolve. Modders seem really happy with their new options, too.