• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'm playing a Noctilus ME campaign as well. I took out the elven faction you start at war with and then started sacking and establishing pirate coves in the Old World.
As for the army composition I'm planning to make use of Noctilus army buff which increases weapon strength for all large units. At the moment I have a mix of Depth Guard, couple melee zombies, handgunners, bats with guns, mortars and the Necrofex and some prometheans.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I got drawn into a land war on Ulthuan, which made me feel like I was playing Risk or something... ;-). Definitely Eliminate the elves then get the hell out of there seems the best plan and leave them to fight each other. Taking settlements just seems to give them all a juicier target to go after.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The issue was the Dirextx13 beta. Didn't realise I was in it, as soon as I opted out it was fine.

Have to say I'm atruggling as Noctilus. Partly because I'm not sure what army I should be building (tons of artillery doesnt seem that great?), and partly because the quest line that pushes you onto Ulthuan is bloody stupid. It should just be ignored to be frank - you end up at war with the entire continent for no gain. Feels like you'd be much better off using vampires to set up Pirate dens everywhere and just sacking the coast?
Definitely. 've tried a Vortex campaign as Noctilus and Aranessa (several times) and come to the conclusion that Ulthuan is a bust, at least at first.

Go for the Tomb King's deserts. They're much more spread out and splintered, so you'll have a much easier time corrupting some land to make a spearhead onto the rest. The factions there are also awful at resisting corruption, so after time you'll have a big edge against them and be rampaging through.

You'll probably be massively outnumbered and have a poor economy, but once you lock down a couple provinces you'll be set. Only problem is that you can't really leave until you've pacified most of desert--you'll keep getting drawn into new wars, especially with the Tomb Kings. Your only option will be to get new armies to go beyond.

And, Vampire Coast protip: With your first vampire pirate captain, make a pirate cove at Lothern and get the 50% wealth building. It pays for itself in a few turns.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Did anyone else get a random coupon in Steam for 50% off Warhammer 2?

If anyone needs it let me know. Pretty sure that would be about it's best ever sale at this point.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
CA published a new video with some of the diplomacy changes that Three Kingdoms will get:

I just hope that some of the QOL improvements will find their way into WH3.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Building those pirate coves is so nice. Just coated Ulthuan in them.

Does anything think Luther Harkon's starting units are a bit terrible? There's nothing there you can't get from like any tier II building. And the bloated corpse is a one use thing I think. I dunno, I'd like to have one big boy.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah his units aren't the most fun. But whatever, it's all about summoning a full gun line ASAP anyway.

I feel like mourngul units need to be a bit more tanky. They're such fun models and can tear through stuff if they aren't focused, but man can they also get cleaved through. Meanwhile the Haunter is like the best melee hero in the game outside of those crazy special high elves.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hello there! I have just downloaded the game and I was wondering what settings are the best to turn down/turn off to increase performance? I get 60 fps but I want that pure 60 fps with no drops >_>

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
hello there! I have just downloaded the game and I was wondering what settings are the best to turn down/turn off to increase performance? I get 60 fps but I want that pure 60 fps with no drops >_>
Unit size has a pretty large impact on performance, particularly in siege battles. I recommend using large, which is also what the game is balanced for.
2D unit portraits gives you a couple FPS without much drawback.
AO and shadow quality have large impacts as well but reducing them will hurt the visuals quite a bit.
For AA settings MSAA will have the usual massive performance hit so I just use FXAA with the sharpening option.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unit size has a pretty large impact on performance, particularly in siege battles. I recommend using large, which is also what the game is balanced for.
2D unit portraits gives you a couple FPS without much drawback.
AO and shadow quality have large impacts as well but reducing them will hurt the visuals quite a bit.
For AA settings MSAA will have the usual massive performance hit so I just use FXAA with the sharpening option.

Gotcha thats pretty much what I got. And yeah reducing shadows is super noticeable, so I might tinker around with those.

Is there anyway to disable the start up videos? Ima have to take a look at the ini file...thanks for the tips!

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sorry to bug, but is the Total Warhammer 1 dlc compatible in 2? Would I need to download TW1 in order to get access to it or should it already be included in mortal empires?

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
sorry to bug, but is the Total Warhammer 1 dlc compatible in 2? Would I need to download TW1 in order to get access to it or should it already be included in mortal empires?
So the TW:W1 content, all DLC and the base game, is accessible but only in the Mortal Empires campaign, which is a larger map that has both the old world and the TW:W2 stuff added. To get access to the campaign, you need to own TW:W1, and it's only playable within TW:W2 so obviously that too. You cannot play the old races in the new Vortex campaign of TW:W2, that one is only for the TW:W2 DLCs and is smaller and only has the "western" part of the world, Lustria, Ulthuan and the various deserts of Araby and Nekehara.

You don't need to have TW:W1 installed, it simply checks for what you own on Steam and lets you select those races in the Mortal Empires. If you don't own them, they're still on the map as usual, so as long as you own TW:W1 and TW:W2, you can play ME and play against all the DLC races of TW:W1. Then you can buy whatever DLC race you want in TW:W1 and play with them on Mortal Empires against the new races too.

Just be warned that Mortal Empires, due to its size, has much longer turns.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the TW:W1 content, all DLC and the base game, is accessible but only in the Mortal Empires campaign, which is a larger map that has both the old world and the TW:W2 stuff added. To get access to the campaign, you need to own TW:W1, and it's only playable within TW:W2 so obviously that too. You cannot play the old races in the new Vortex campaign of TW:W2, that one is only for the TW:W2 DLCs and is smaller and only has the "western" part of the world, Lustria, Ulthuan and the various deserts of Araby and Nekehara.

You don't need to have TW:W1 installed, it simply checks for what you own on Steam and lets you select those races in the Mortal Empires. If you don't own them, they're still on the map as usual, so as long as you own TW:W1 and TW:W2, you can play ME and play against all the DLC races of TW:W1. Then you can buy whatever DLC race you want in TW:W1 and play with them on Mortal Empires against the new races too.

Just be warned that Mortal Empires, due to its size, has much longer turns.

Alright, makes sense. Cheers.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I finally at long last got this game on that Black Friday sale. Hoping to get started with my campaign soon!

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've gone down a deep hole with this game. I ended up picking up 2 and the DLC... then I realized I could use 1's races in 2 if I bought them. I now own both games and all the DLC. It was worth it though, i'm loving it -- performance issues aside. I started off as the Tomb King faction and i'm spreading the good word of Skeleton across the world. I've also started watching lore videos, which is making me consider restarting since the Tomb King lore isn't as interesting to me as some others.

The game is making me very aware how bad I am at being a general though. It feels bad since I enjoy the fights, but I get much better results by auto-resolving since i'm really bad.

Also this game is the perfect podcast/TV show game since the turns on Mortal Empire take a long time.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Man I feel like the TK have the best lore easily. They're the lawful-neutral skeletons/mummies that don't really want to be skeletons and are mad about it, but they still want to preserve their homeland including the mortals still remaining there. They might be mortals, but they are their mortals, and as long as they follow the rules or whatever then they should be protected from the various beasties of the world. Also one mummy king teaches a man invading his tomb the wisdom he needs to save his dying wife, because the mummy himself once loved and could remember what it was like.

Settra in particular is probably my favorite character in the game and one of the few not embarrassed by the End Times.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im sad that Tomb Kings got nuked from the board game after End Times with only a few key characters remaining(iirc their diety dude).

I should...play Tomb Kings.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
I'm on about turn 30 of the default high elf campaign. Never played a Total War game, never played a grand strategy, never played an RTS. I'd been doing ok so far, but finally hitting a wall. I only have full control of one province, with one city controlled in two other provinces. But I'm out of money, only bringing in between 3 and 50 gold per turn, one of my cities is at like -92 public opinion and just became under siege, and the army attacking it keeps defeating my closest Lord's army in battle no matter how many times I try. My side actually has more troops with reinforcements coming from the city, but they keep fleeing from battle one by one until the whole thing is fucked. My other lord has a slightly larger army and stronger troops, but he's further away. I have two heroes at my disposal, but i'm not sure how to properly use them and they seem kinda pointless currently since I can't bring them into battle.

Help? Also is there a way to pause a battle once it's started?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
How many armies do you have and how many upgraded troops do you have in them? Going too hard on expensive troops early can really hammer your economy for not a ton of gain. High Elves are pretty good at just fielding armies of their base units since they're relatively powerful.

Heroes can be added to your army and fight. Just select them on the campaign map and hover over the army you want to add them to that has an open slot. A double arrow looking icon should show up and you can put them in. That said, having nobles on the campaign map collecting influence is also a good idea because you can use it to recruit some really awesome characters.

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
During battle, in the top right corner of the screen above the minimap is a series of buttons that will let you pause the game, put it into slow motion, or fast forward. Unless you're playing on the highest difficulty, you can still issue commands to your units while the game is paused which can help you plan out your attacks.

Units run away when they run out of Leadership (think of it as Morale). Having a Lord or Hero nearby buffs Leadership. Getting attacked from the side or back does more damage to Leadership, as does seeing nearby units flee or seeing your Lord die. This can often cause your troops to flee like dominos.

When not part of an army, Heroes can assault enemy armies or settlements and hit them with debuffs (though it costs gold to do so). They also passively apply an effect to whatever province they're standing in (you can see what the effect on their unit card). They can also be placed into armies by moving them to one of your armies on the map. In battle, they are essentially a mini-Lord.

For some general combat strategies, mounted units are usually good for hit and run tactics because they have a high charge bonus. However, they are weak against units with spears as spears deal extra damage to large units and units with spears usually also have charge defense. Using one set of troops to hold the line and another set to get behind the enemy and hit them from the back usually does a bunch of damage to both the enemy health and their leadership.

You generally want to go for the most favorable match-ups you can, so put your units that can pierce armor up against the enemies with armor, your spears up against their cavalry, your ranged units up against their units without shields, your cavalry up against their ranged units, etc.

As for your money, each army you have increases total upkeep by a percentage, so if there is an army you're definitely not using it might be worthwhile to disband it. You can also disband excess troops to save on upkeep. The other option is to demolish some of the buildings in your settlements and replace them with buildings that generate money.

Public Order is lowered by taxes, enemies attacking them or raiding their lands, corruption, and a few other things. It can be countered by stopping taxes, clearing out the enemies, parking a Hero with a Public Order bonus in that province, garrisoning a large army in one of the settlements, constructing certain buildings, or issuing certain Commandments. Commandments can be issued if you own every settlement in a province. Just select a settlement, and then it is a button in the bottom-left in the same spot as the one for changing marching stances for your armies.

I hope this is helpful. These games are a ton of fun, but have a lot of layered mechanics that can take some getting used to.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
How many armies do you have and how many upgraded troops do you have in them? Going too hard on expensive troops early can really hammer your economy for not a ton of gain. High Elves are pretty good at just fielding armies of their base units since they're relatively powerful.

Heroes can be added to your army and fight. Just select them on the campaign map and hover over the army you want to add them to that has an open slot. A double arrow looking icon should show up and you can put them in. That said, having nobles on the campaign map collecting influence is also a good idea because you can use it to recruit some really awesome characters.

I have two armies, one under Tyrion and another under the second Lord the tutorial has you recruit. Tyrion has a full 20/20 army and the other guy is at like 14 I believe. The one with 14 is the closest one to the attacked city, but I also get reinforcements from the city so I have the numbers advantage. No mounted units in that army since I can't recruit them yet, but Tyrion's army comes with two.

I didn't know I could add heroes to armies, thanks.

During battle, in the top right corner of the screen above the minimap is a series of buttons that will let you pause the game, put it into slow motion, or fast forward. Unless you're playing on the highest difficulty, you can still issue commands to your units while the game is paused which can help you plan out your attacks.

Units run away when they run out of Leadership (think of it as Morale). Having a Lord or Hero nearby buffs Leadership. Getting attacked from the side or back does more damage to Leadership, as does seeing nearby units flee or seeing your Lord die. This can often cause your troops to flee like dominos.

When not part of an army, Heroes can assault enemy armies or settlements and hit them with debuffs (though it costs gold to do so). They also passively apply an effect to whatever province they're standing in (you can see what the effect on their unit card). They can also be placed into armies by moving them to one of your armies on the map. In battle, they are essentially a mini-Lord.

For some general combat strategies, mounted units are usually good for hit and run tactics because they have a high charge bonus. However, they are weak against units with spears as spears deal extra damage to large units and units with spears usually also have charge defense. Using one set of troops to hold the line and another set to get behind the enemy and hit them from the back usually does a bunch of damage to both the enemy health and their leadership.

You generally want to go for the most favorable match-ups you can, so put your units that can pierce armor up against the enemies with armor, your spears up against their cavalry, your ranged units up against their units without shields, your cavalry up against their ranged units, etc.

As for your money, each army you have increases total upkeep by a percentage, so if there is an army you're definitely not using it might be worthwhile to disband it. You can also disband excess troops to save on upkeep. The other option is to demolish some of the buildings in your settlements and replace them with buildings that generate money.

Public Order is lowered by taxes, enemies attacking them or raiding their lands, corruption, and a few other things. It can be countered by stopping taxes, clearing out the enemies, parking a Hero with a Public Order bonus in that province, garrisoning a large army in one of the settlements, constructing certain buildings, or issuing certain Commandments. Commandments can be issued if you own every settlement in a province. Just select a settlement, and then it is a button in the bottom-left in the same spot as the one for changing marching stances for your armies.

I hope this is helpful. These games are a ton of fun, but have a lot of layered mechanics that can take some getting used to.

This is a lot of good information, thanks. I felt like I had a decent grasp on the basics and looked up a few tips for new players videos, but I've just his this wall 7 hours in and it almost makes me wanna restart the campaign.

Here's my immediate area:

tumblr_piwztiQ9Q91rp5coao3_1280.jpg

Here's my strongest army:

tumblr_piwztiQ9Q91rp5coao1_1280.jpg

And my second army:

tumblr_piwztiQ9Q91rp5coao2_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
^ It's strange that the tutorial tells you to recruit a second lord because at this point in the campaign it's best to have only one army and invest your income into your economy.
Your priority in the early game should stabilize and secure your starting province. Having walls (=upgraded garrisons) in every minor settlement is usually a good idea.

And restarting a campaign when you are new to game is perfectly fine. When I was new I restarted most of my campaigns as well.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
^ It's strange that the tutorial tells you to recruit a second lord because at this point in the campaign it's best to have only one army and invest your income into your economy.
Your priority in the early game should stabilize and secure your starting province. Having walls (=upgraded garrisons) in every minor settlement is usually a good idea.

And restarting a campaign when you are new to game is perfectly fine. When I was new I restarted most of my campaigns as well.
I often recruit a 2nd lord pretty early(turn 8-12 or so) and leave it on defense duty with like a couple of archers or whatever, to leverage garrison units and make them actually useful. I find the worst part of early game is when you go try to grab more stuff and then an enemy comes from the other side, or you have rebellions and no one back home so you have to spend several turns walking back, fighting one army, then several turns going back to where you were.

I tend to stay on low tier units for a while even in my main army though and tech up to skip T2 stuff and go straight T3, sometimes T4 if the T1 units are good enough(Skaven with free summons or High Elf archers for example), so the added penalty of a 2nd army isn't too big, and that 2nd army upkeep is low, I might add more T1 units to it but I never give it anything else basically. Also it's good to level a 2nd lord right away so once you want to expand more seriously, you already have lightning strike on your secondary army and such.

Depends on the start though, on some I've had to stay on one army and turtle until I can actually do anything because of constant attacks.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I have two armies, one under Tyrion and another under the second Lord the tutorial has you recruit. Tyrion has a full 20/20 army and the other guy is at like 14 I believe. The one with 14 is the closest one to the attacked city, but I also get reinforcements from the city so I have the numbers advantage. No mounted units in that army since I can't recruit them yet, but Tyrion's army comes with two.

I didn't know I could add heroes to armies, thanks.

This is a lot of good information, thanks. I felt like I had a decent grasp on the basics and looked up a few tips for new players videos, but I've just his this wall 7 hours in and it almost makes me wanna restart the campaign.

Here's my immediate area:

tumblr_piwztiQ9Q91rp5coao3_1280.jpg

Here's my strongest army:

tumblr_piwztiQ9Q91rp5coao1_1280.jpg

And my second army:

tumblr_piwztiQ9Q91rp5coao2_1280.jpg

Personally I'd use my 2 armies to capture shrine of asurian then disband the 2nd army. Use the income to get + PO on the home province + walls on every minor settlement. After that Re-recruit a 2nd army and push against saphery. After Defeating saphery I'd disband the 2nd army and do the same to my secondary province.
At this point in the game I'd skip everything but spearmen, archers, silver helms and artillery. Those 4 units are good enough to deal with most if not all early game armies. IMO the archers with armour are "useless" as in their increased upkeep for just a bit of armour is not a very good trade in the early game.
Only after having 2 or 3 provicnes I'd start to upgrade military buildings above T3

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I often recruit a 2nd lord pretty early(turn 8-12 or so) and leave it on defense duty with like a couple of archers or whatever, to leverage garrison units and make them actually useful. I find the worst part of early game is when you go try to grab more stuff and then an enemy comes from the other side, or you have rebellions and no one back home so you have to spend several turns walking back, fighting one army, then several turns going back to where you were.

I tend to stay on low tier units for a while even in my main army though and tech up to skip T2 stuff and go straight T3, sometimes T4 if the T1 units are good enough(Skaven with free summons or High Elf archers for example), so the added penalty of a 2nd army isn't too big, and that 2nd army upkeep is low, I might add more T1 units to it but I never give it anything else basically. Also it's good to level a 2nd lord right away so once you want to expand more seriously, you already have lightning strike on your secondary army and such.

Depends on the start though, on some I've had to stay on one army and turtle until I can actually do anything because of constant attacks.

I actually had a situation in the first 20 turns of a campaign where I had to move my 2nd lord to assist an ally under attack, so I played the field smartly and used a pincer attack utilizing hidden units against my opponent, with my leader unit baiting them. It was messy but I made it out:
UzPX17C.png

Its the first time playing a game I felt smart I used good strategy that actually kinda worked.(down to having to have their catapults pelt my bait unit so that they could get close enough to follow me into my trap).

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Personally I'd use my 2 armies to capture shrine of asurian then disband the 2nd army. Use the income to get + PO on the home province + walls on every minor settlement. After that Re-recruit a 2nd army and push against saphery. After Defeating saphery I'd disband the 2nd army and do the same to my secondary province.
At this point in the game I'd skip everything but spearmen, archers, silver helms and artillery. Those 4 units are good enough to deal with most if not all early game armies. IMO the archers with armour are "useless" as in their increased upkeep for just a bit of armour is not a very good trade in the early game.
Only after having 2 or 3 provicnes I'd start to upgrade military buildings above T3

That makes a lot of sense.

What's the upgrade for walls around a settlement? Is it like the tier 3 settlement upgrade?

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
That makes a lot of sense.

What's the upgrade for walls around a settlement? Is it like the tier 3 settlement upgrade?
As far as I remember it's T3 yeah, it's the 2nd wall upgrade. First one simply increases garrison, which is still useful depending on the cities, then 2nd one increases garrison again and puts walls, which is really necessary mid to lategame to counter all the random army spawn bullshit scripts, or just sneaky armies in general. Even a bunch of undefended garrisons with walls can wear down several stacks of endgame AI armies if you manually play each siege(if you autoresolve they lose almost nothing though, but manually you can generally remove 50% of an army even when there's 3armies sieging, just from wall fire).

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Goofy question from a pure nooblet (me)---

1. So starting campaign in TW2 for 1st time. I suppose I'm still in the 'tutorial' which is trying to show me the ropes. But it's super long, over an hour. I had to quit before my 2nd battle. Y'all know if my progress is saved?

2. You guys know what they mean when they say I should pick an "Intro" Lord before I start a campaign? I think I want to pick a Lord that is "not an Intro Lord"

I have minor experience with 4x strategy games (Endless Legends) so maybe I can skip the Intro Lord thing? Will I miss out on a bunch of cutscenes and Lore if I skip this Intro Lord thing? I dont really wanna be an intro lord. I kinda want to play as that edgey Dark Elf Queen who is not an Intro Lord

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Goofy question from a pure nooblet (me)---

1. So starting campaign in TW2 for 1st time. I suppose I'm still in the 'tutorial' which is trying to show me the ropes. But it's super long, over an hour. I had to quit before my 2nd battle. Y'all know if my progress is saved?

2. You guys know what they mean when they say I should pick an "Intro" Lord before I start a campaign? I think I want to pick a Lord that is "not an Intro Lord"

I have minor experience with 4x strategy games (Endless Legends) so maybe I can skip the Intro Lord thing? Will I miss out on a bunch of cutscenes and Lore if I skip this Intro Lord thing? I dont really wanna be an intro lord. I kinda want to play as that edgey Dark Elf Queen who is not an Intro Lord
You can skip it if you want, though the initial battle is a good experience for its tutorial elements. (Fortunate you've seen it now!) The tutorial lords are just slightly easier starts, with some extra stuff in the first little bit explaining how to play. And those particular lords are easier to learn and survive with, due to their starting position. There will be tutorial pop-ups throughout the game even if you don't do that start, though--Total Warhammer has a lot going on.

So start with any lord you want, but be prepared to restart your campaign a bit as they can be difficult to learn right away. The Skaven in particular will be really rough if you're a new player... though not impossible. And perhaps make some backup 'checkpoint' saves if things go south--that's how I always play, at least.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Morathi can have a pretty rough start. Just be prepared to read a lot of tool tips and maybe restart once or twice and I think you'll be fine, though.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I think even the Elves will struggle now, due to the Vampire Coast. Aranessa always has the East side of Ulthuan, in the post-expansion (Vortex) games I've played. Prevents Lothern from snowballing quite so hard as before.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah I assume that's why they gave Tyrion the large boost to relations with all high elves. Gotta get that place confederated quickly I would think. Also a nerf towards Alarielle in particular.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao actually all I've seen is a High Elf civil war, with Lothern and Avelorn duking it out for their half of Ulthuan. Fits the End Times, but it's also kinda funny when they're besieged from literally all sides.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Thanks guys! Hm, sounds like I should stick with Tyrion for awhile-- at least til I learn whats what. After that I'll venture out into the other Lords

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think even the Elves will struggle now, due to the Vampire Coast. Aranessa always has the East side of Ulthuan, in the post-expansion (Vortex) games I've played. Prevents Lothern from snowballing quite so hard as before.

Yeah Aranessa is fucking over my allies so I went to help my elf bro out and completely wiped out his army but he retreated and encamped and got bats and shit so i had to retreat to bolster my own ranks and now that motherfuckers got his vamp friends harassing my elf buddies

Also theres a dumb goblin leading a huge army in my main lands.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Restarted my high elf campaign, focusing less on expanding and more on building up my cities. Didn't recruit a second army. Still find myself at war with Dreadfleet on the west, Saphery on the Northeast, and another group on undead pirates taking over my elven allies to the east. Just had my closest victory yet against the dreadfleet, lost my hero, my phoenix, and about half my army but I completely wiped them out. They could only access my army through two narrow passes surrounded by water, so I put my ranged units up on a hilltop overseeing the pass to whittle them down and my spearmen, lord, and hero to block the pass. It hurt the enemy a lot, but they also completely wiped out my spearmen, hero, and about half of my mounted units. It was a rough, close victory, but a victory still. Satisfied, but bummed I lost so many units.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Losing the phoenix might be a blessing in disguise, tbh. I don't really feel like they pull their weight for cost, especially early and against vampirate gun lines. If you managed to kill the Necrofex that Noctilus starts with then that should make things a lot easier going forward.

If you think you're going to fight lots of vampirate gun lines then maybe look at overloading with archers more than you might otherwise. They out-everything normal pirate gunnery zombies and just shred them because they lack both armor and shields.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Losing the phoenix might be a blessing in disguise, tbh. I don't really feel like they pull their weight for cost, especially early and against vampirate gun lines. If you managed to kill the Necrofex that Noctilus starts with then that should make things a lot easier going forward.

If you think you're going to fight lots of vampirate gun lines then maybe look at overloading with archers more than you might otherwise. They out-everything normal pirate gunnery zombies and just shred them because they lack both armor and shields.

Going all in on archers and a spearline seems like the most cost effective army you can build early game. It works against almost anything the game throws at you.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an 'attack move'? A way I can have my units attack without having to click each unit to each unit? Or do I simply move them forward and if they face an enemy, they'll start fighting?(Usually if I'm selecting like, 5 units, and I click an enemy, they'll all pile on the one enemy)

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an 'attack move'? A way I can have my units attack without having to click each unit to each unit? Or do I simply move them forward and if they face an enemy, they'll start fighting?(Usually if I'm selecting like, 5 units, and I click an enemy, they'll all pile on the one enemy)
Units will fight anything they collide with, but I think facing and formation can be important in terms of resisting charges, charging themselves, or shielding themselves from missle fire. In those cases, manually positioning them would be a more optimal choice.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

There's hotkeys for movement commands but they escape me right now.

Generally though you don't want to just "walk in" enemy formations. Charging gives significant attack boni to almost all units exept spearmen (they get one too, it's just small), you need to do an attack command for your units to charge.

Conversely, some units (mostly spearmen but there's others) can "brace" themselves from charges to minimise damage. They can't do that while moving though and they'll get full charage damage if they do. A cavalry unit can wreck spearmen if they charge into them while they move for example. You'll also need to face the unit charging you. Charges from the side or from behind do full damage.

Last edited: