• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I watched a bunch of stream and holy crab, Vampire Coast has so many unique mechanics. I feels like it's almost too much although this opinion might change when I get to play them.
Compare the Vampire Coast to the Empire. It's crazy how outdated some of the old factions feel.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I watched a bunch of stream and holy crab, Vampire Coast has so many unique mechanics. I feels like it's almost too much although this opinion might change when I get to play them.
Compare the Vampire Coast to the Empire. It's crazy how outdated some of the old factions feel.

For me empire and WoC need a total remake. They are completely bland to play with.
Beastmen and greenskins, should also get a face lift as their campaign mechanics don't fully gel with their battle "feeling". Also these 2 need a tad bit more content because right now , imo, their roster feels glued together. ~
For example the giant for the beastmen feels out of place because it can't keep up with th rest of the army; bestigor take 3 turns to recruit!!! how can you be an ambushed focussed army when you need to stop for 3 turns!
The greenskin waagh mechanic is cool but far too many items the army will suicide themselves instead of supporting you. All LL are far too weak in battle. You have savage orcs yet no savage generic lord. You have goblin shamans for lord but you don't have an orc shaman for lord. You have goblin melee hero but you don't have an orc melee hero. It feels out of place.

wood elves and bretonia need some touches. WE need a rework on their amber as well as their "unique" mechanic (the one that allows conquering everything) which is quite meaningless in ME; Bretonia also should get some sort of mechanics to force them to leave their home towns. There is little reason to fight chaos, greenskins, skaven,etc. has bretonia because you can get all the honor you need by just attacking those around you.

----------------------------------
before the patch hit i played a bit mroe of my campaign with karak kadrin here are some screenshots that i liked.

"side by side with a friend"
BC9509D9D79269E19AABA6431DE3353A3B5C28B8

"clearing the walls"
74812A06C4147E1296E61D158C099442FA481E16

" BOOOM"
AE6C830E3AC86DAF1EEE4BE2CC994AA77E2CA96C

"holding the walls"

5EC22C586474AB11EED698ED565E0C789CFC4EC1

Damn i really like this game.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Empire just needs some improvements to the political system. Their existing thing of having so many unique buildings across the map suits them well. The bigger they are, the more stable they are. (Ideally I'd like them to be the strongest faction in the game, besieged on all sides and yet prevailing; at least until Chaos wrecks them.)

Greenskins though need more. Their waaagh system has been infringed upon by Beastmen and Skaven to the point that it doesn't really stand out anymore. They need something that encourages reckless, aggressive play that ebbs and flows with the waaaghs.

So on top of the existing waaagh system, I'd propose some kind of lord hierarchy system that forces them to have too many lords, and thus a razor-thin economy. Give them a massive focus on raiding to expand and waaagh, and reserve the best troops for the top lords in the hierarchy (maybe through upkeep reduction). I want a system where the Greenskins aren't competing against others so much as themselves.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
A bit off topic but the new OT title has to be:
Total War WARHAMMER II |OT| You are, without a doubt, the worse pirate I've ever heard off!

Any suggestions?

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Total War WARHAMMER II |OT| A Pirate's Death for Me
Total War WARHAMMER II |OT| A Pirate's Unlife for Me

(I totally didn't steal that from Hella)

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Total War WARHAMMER II |OT| "You best start believing in ghost stories, Miss Alarielle... you're in one!"

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Tweaked and improved Individual Vocalisations
  • New assets for Chaos (Chosen, Marauders, Chaos Warriors), Dwarfs and Ghost Horses
I think they're prepping for Game 3, y'all...

Also
Orcs now Waaagh! harder than ever

Grimgor: +600 mass, +5 armour, +7 melee defence.
Let the WAAAGH!!! never end.

The number of changes in the ARR patch is really impressive.

Edit: Y'all! There's a Humble WARHAMMER bundle up. Dunno about some of the offerings, but it's still pretty cool if you're looking for more waaagh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Does anyone know at what time can i expect for DLC to be released?
Also don't forget to clear the necessary space
These patch notes are so good. I m looking forward to put a few more hours playing the game!

Also

Edit: Y'all! There's a Humble WARHAMMER bundle up. Dunno about some of the offerings, but it's still pretty cool if you're looking for more waaagh.

On the bundle I highly recommend Battlefleet gothic. i have no idea why it has mixed reviews. Not only does the game have excellent gameplay but also has a great and interesting campaign. The campaign assumes you are going to lose a lot which allows you to make a "comeback" victory during the end game; i really like that way because it truly feels that you are facing impossible odds.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Vampire Coast seems to unlock in about 26-27 hours as of this post. Standard Steam unlock time is about 30 hours from this post, and a midnight release would be more like 18-ish hours from now.

CA midnight unlock pls

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas

Also

aww WAR 2 isn't in it. I still dont have War2 (just War1). Granted, I havent even played War1 yet and I even got wood elves expac on sale that I need to still play thru

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have decided to play Luthor Harkon in Vortez and Count Noct in ME. I will restart my vlad campaign after that.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm torn between Noctilus and Aranessa Saltspite. Both sound so cool, plus their starting locations intrigue me.

aww WAR 2 isn't in it. I still dont have War2 (just War1). Granted, I havent even played War1 yet and I even got wood elves expac on sale that I need to still play thru
Not yet, but it seems kinda inevitable.

Total Warhammer 1 was the banner game in a Humble Monthly some time ago, before it had any real discounts. (So basically $10 for it and other games) It was a bunch of bananas.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
IMO you should first play the first game before buying the 2nd one. If you don't like game 1, chances are you won't like game 2! Wh2 is at its very core a wh1 polished to a much higher level. IMO , wh2 is much better then wh1 so I think if you like wh1 chances are you will prefer wh2.

You should also know that there will be a wh3; so you shouldn't be in a rush to buy wh2.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm probably going to play the singing lady.

The starting location is really bad and i haven't killed enough dinos yet.

I also love casting lords.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Deciding the OT change is really hard, wish there was a drop down style tittle so i could add them all!

I have been updating the OT. It is still missing a few images, texts and the promised mod section. I have an exam in 15th of November and 16th i'm on ER for 12h. After that I can finally focus more on my gaming.

Also there aren't really any "good" images for the Vampire coasts LL. For the OT i have added in pink the free changes and Blue for the latest DLC. I also added if each race had been reworked for the new game, so that later game 2 buyers can easily understand if their favorite race has changed or not.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Deciding the OT change is really hard, wish there was a drop down style tittle so i could add them all!

I have been updating the OT. It is still missing a few images, texts and the promised mod section. I have an exam in 15th of November and 16th i'm on ER for 12h. After that I can finally focus more on my gaming.

Also there aren't really any "good" images for the Vampire coasts LL. For the OT i have added in pink the free changes and Blue for the latest DLC. I also added if each race had been reworked for the new game, so that later game 2 buyers can easily understand if their favorite race has changed or not.
One suggestion for the OT: put something at the bottom explaining what the text colours mean. (Namely, when they were added to the game. e.g. Ancestral Update, Aye Aye Update, a specific DLC, etc) Or perhaps roll it into the DLC/update roadmap section.

Using colours to denote changes and additions to a live game like Total WAAAGH is a really smart choice, I think.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
One suggestion for the OT: put something at the bottom explaining what the text colours mean. (Namely, when they were added to the game. e.g. Ancestral Update, Aye Aye Update, a specific DLC, etc) Or perhaps roll it into the DLC/update roadmap section.

Using colours to denote changes and additions to a live game like Total WAAAGH is a really smart choice, I think.
Good idea!

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Well, the legendary Harkon start in Vortex is tough. Basically all of Lustria declared war on me and there are 5 hostile ships sailing up and down the coast. This will be fun ^^

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I take back what I said about the AI's army comps. As we kept fighting I encountered his second army, equally unbalanced...
But combined, they are a massive threat.

(Of course I also saw one poor Elf faction with a main army of, like, 80% Ellyrian riders, but he didn't have much of a settlement left so I feel like that was just desperation.)

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Just finished my legendary Harkon Vortex campaign.
I really like the Vampire Coast even though there are quite a lot of bugs with skills, techs, heros unlocks etc. I don't think I'll ever go back to the Vortex map however. ME just has so much more to offer.
I think I'll try Kemmler of Noctilus next, not sure yet.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Cylostra is a fun start in ME. You're an entire army with magical attacks fighting savage orcs, and good lord can you kill some savage orcs. The haunter you get like 5 turns into the campaign can eat basically infinite savage orcs as far as I can tell.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Haunters are the strongest heroes in the game. They just blow through infantry like it's nothing. Their names are also great.

Also

It's hard having so many enemies on Ulthuan...

I just... need a beachhead pls stop attacking me.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The game has crashed so many times since starting the expansion. Maybe it's just Count Noctilius, but every game I play has numerous hard crashes. I also had a weird bug where I couldn't move my lord and count end the turn - it was as if there was an event notification on screen I hadn't closed. So the game was literally broken - couldn't move, couldn't advance the turn, and even auto saves had the same issue.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
The game has crashed so many times since starting the expansion. Maybe it's just Count Noctilius, but every game I play has numerous hard crashes. I also had a weird bug where I couldn't move my lord and count end the turn - it was as if there was an event notification on screen I hadn't closed. So the game was literally broken - couldn't move, couldn't advance the turn, and even auto saves had the same issue.
The notification bug is pretty old, not sure if they ever fixed it. Happens when you get 2 notifications on the same turn due to weird stuff lining up(like forced notifications at certain points in your progress). So could probably be that, it existed in TW:W1 even. Don't know about the crashes though. Just throwing this out there however, had a ton of issues with Nvidia's lastest patch, I reverted to the previous one from earlier this week 416.34 and it fixed my issues. Wasn't on TW:W2, but Monster Hunter, but still.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Vampire Coast has run fine for me, on Nvidia driver 416.34. Haven't seen any weird errors yet, but I've only just begun playing it so there's still time.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
What unit size are you guys playing on?
I played on ultra since I got into Total War Warhammer but the framerate in large sieges is just horrendous. Especially when you play a faction with cheap, numerous units like Vampire Counts.
Now I've read that units have less issues with pathfinding and blobbing so I'll try it out next campaign.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I think I have it preset on Ultra, except with shadows and SSAO off to keep my FPS near 60 most of the time. Unit size is as high as it will go, though. The Skaven battles are 20 FPS of glorious vermintide.

It's really satisfying watching units melt from artillery or archers, so I feel compelled to keep that setting as high as I can.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I play on Large because i like using spells and some of them get kinda crap with large unit counts.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Did you solve your issue? if not alongside the driver update, i recomend verifying the integrety game cache. I'd also recomend de-activiting overlays.
I hope that helped. If it doesn't solve the issue i have no idea what do do more.

What unit size are you guys playing on?
I played on ultra since I got into Total War Warhammer but the framerate in large sieges is just horrendous. Especially when you play a faction with cheap, numerous units like Vampire Counts.
Now I've read that units have less issues with pathfinding and blobbing so I'll try it out next campaign.

I always play on the highest unit size. For me total war is about these HUGE battles, the mroe models there are the higher the fun factor will be for me. I have a I7-6700k (very slightly overclocked) and a GTX 1070. In my experience @1440p the game runs between 20-60 FPS which is fine for me. I am (was?) a console gamer, so 20-30 FPS is the "target" framerate for me. I also have a g-sync monitor so the game while with high variations of framerate doesn't get any artifacts. Up until this monitor even with v-sync I'd get weird image artifacts because of the framerate variation (specially on explosions and magic). For me graphics and huge unit sizes are more important to framerate.
I'm probably the worst person to ask this because i played the first few "new" total wars (empire, napoleon) on a crappy PC which according to FPS counters, i played with an average of 12FPS (yes, half of the framerate of a movie). Nowadays i can afford my PC stuff but when i had to ask my parents to buy a 200-300€ GPU I'd die of guilt for wasting so much money on a hobby, so i always delayed year after year and ended up using a most of my desktops for 6-7 years.

One thing that is interesting with lower unit count is how different the game feels/plays. Big Monsters and magic are much more powerful (because they hit a higher percentage of models in a unit).

one more day and i can sink my time in warhammer and crusader kings DLC!!!

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The issue was the Dirextx13 beta. Didn't realise I was in it, as soon as I opted out it was fine.

Have to say I'm atruggling as Noctilus. Partly because I'm not sure what army I should be building (tons of artillery doesnt seem that great?), and partly because the quest line that pushes you onto Ulthuan is bloody stupid. It should just be ignored to be frank - you end up at war with the entire continent for no gain. Feels like you'd be much better off using vampires to set up Pirate dens everywhere and just sacking the coast?