• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
These turn times are surreal. It's such a massive improvement I wouldn't have thought it possible.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Is there any down side to requesting extra slaves with this option?
QgiOtR9.png

I don't see a downside to always choosing this option?

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any down side to requesting extra slaves with this option?
QgiOtR9.png

I don't see a downside to always choosing this option?

It reduces the amount your other provinces would get to favour the province you select.

4 region provinces are the good places to request additional slaves and if you have any bonus percentage income buildings, in those provinces as well.

Generally you should stop slaves going to poor provinces like ones you recently conquered or military ones.

I'll copy a paragraph from the slaves wiki:

"A good rule of thumb: Keep any provinces with substantial +% building income on "request additional slaves," any basic 4-region provinces on "receive slaves," (unless they were recently acquired) and every other province on "no more slaves." This will provide near-optimal allocation of slaves with little micromanagement."

Some more reading if you want.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
It reduces the amount your other provinces would get to favour the province you select.

4 region provinces are the good places to request additional slaves and if you have any bonus percentage income buildings, in those provinces as well.

Generally you should stop slaves going to poor provinces like ones you recently conquered or military ones.

I'll copy a paragraph from the slaves wiki:

"A good rule of thumb: Keep any provinces with substantial +% building income on "request additional slaves," any basic 4-region provinces on "receive slaves," (unless they were recently acquired) and every other province on "no more slaves." This will provide near-optimal allocation of slaves with little micromanagement."

Some more reading if you want.

Ahhh I see, thanks!

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I started as deathmaster. Skaven infantry is as horrible as i remember, i have to bring like 3 times the enemy troops to have a "fair" fight.
Eshin night runners and deathrunners are buffed a lot. They are vianle now.I haven't used triads much. The grinders are a lot of fun specially with their "net" debuff.
I think deathmaster himself might be strongest snipe lord in the game. within 30 or so turns you can get him with like 100+ MA, several abilities to escape melee fights, 500+ WP with quite a bit of AP. His only weakness is the lack of a mount. But in terms of foot lords, he will shred any non duelist in 30 secs or so.

The only thing missing is LL re-spec. I conf queek and while he was level 7 he had 6 points in the red line. I'd really prefer queek to have his points in a mix of the unique tree + some yellow tree + some red tree. So that he could buff clan rats.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Malus if you choose to play in the southern islands is an incredibly frustrating experience in the campaign, the Eishin dodge you as they want with an underground road and you are in an area where you suffer wear and slow.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Malus if you choose to play in the southern islands is an incredibly frustrating experience in the campaign, the Eishin dodge you as they want with an underground road and you are in an area where you suffer wear and slow.

Yeah its a hard start. Even the first fight you do is tough because they place you against a settlement and half stack of lizardmen, and the stack has a bastilodon to deal with when your only anti-large unit is a chariot.

Also I hear hes glitched because the settlements special port building doesnt count as a port, so he cant trade?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah its a hard start. Even the first fight you do is tough because they place you against a settlement and half stack of lizardmen, and the stack has a bastilodon to deal with when your only anti-large unit is a chariot.

Also I hear hes glitched because the settlements special port building doesnt count as a port, so he cant trade?
Yes, you cannot trade. Although apart from Khalida it is not as if you have many options nearby.

You have a very weak economy and Eshin spam armies. In addition, part of your little money goes into elixiris for the mechanics of possession, which does not stop rising.

It is very unsatisfactory to stay in the islands, I have to try staying in Naggaroth.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, you cannot trade. Although apart from Khalida it is not as if you have many options nearby.

You have a very weak economy and Eshin spam armies. In addition, part of your little money goes into elixiris for the mechanics of possession, which does not stop rising.

It is very unsatisfactory to stay in the islands, I have to try staying in Naggaroth.

Can't you trade if you keep Hag Graef? My friend disbanded the initial armies in the islands and started in Naggaroth and he's been having a blast lol

Almost 40 turns in with Eshin and 3 provinces up, have to make a decision about siding with this minor Dwarf faction or just eliminate everyone along with the greenskins. Really liking the shadowy dealing stuff it feels a bit like cheating, having a free spendable resource with no relationship downsides to the factions you attack. The contracts are a bit hit and miss for me at the moment because I really would like to focus on skyryre or mors but they keep giving me moulder and pestilens. It's also pretty roughly communicated why you can't send certain units in but I've figured out it has mostly to do with levels. Gutter Runners are pretty great but I haven't had a good time with triads or warp grinders, aside from their cool special abilities.

I sent one to demolish a wall in a siege and it felt like it was taking ages before i realised it was indestructible. Why would it let me send it there in the first place!

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Nah, I just can't beat the Clan Eshin with Malus. The land favors them greatly, it is impossible to maintain any of their positions without rebellion and you have to spend money continuously on elixirs or your units are not even restored. That area of the map is clearly designed to move using Underground Path but the Dark Elf have not..

It's frustrating

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Hmmm

I wish there was away to abandon a settlement. I might start a new Malus campaign, abandon Hag Graef, and sail until I find a settlement that can trade.

Or maybe Ill brute force through Eshin..

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Gotta say, I'm not impressed with Malus Darkblade. The possession mechanic doesn't change how I play and I haven't felt the need to transform in over 80 turns.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I'm waiting for Grimhammer to take him and run with it. I think that team will make a much more satisfying version of him.

Feb 12, 2019
Before the update came out, I did a Vortex campaign as Kroq'Gar and felt ridiculously powerful for most of it. I feel like the Vortex campaign already heavily incentivizes turtling, so the Last Defenders' incredibly defensible starting position made fighting off the waves of Chaos that much easier. Lizards are a lot of fun though, and plowing a giant dinosaur through a horde of rats is incredibly satisfying.

Now that turn times are actually manageable on Mortal Empires, I'm once again at the crisis point of staring at the big-ass list of 15 factions and wondering who I should try out. I messed around with Norsca (who seem like "what if Warriors of Chaos weren't boring"), over-expanded by confederating everyone in the north, and managed to get multiple High Elf and Bretonian factions on me at the same time. It didn't seem like something I could easily recover from, but I'm always impressed by how genuinely different all the factions play.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Before the update came out, I did a Vortex campaign as Kroq'Gar and felt ridiculously powerful for most of it. I feel like the Vortex campaign already heavily incentivizes turtling, so the Last Defenders' incredibly defensible starting position made fighting off the waves of Chaos that much easier. Lizards are a lot of fun though, and plowing a giant dinosaur through a horde of rats is incredibly satisfying.

Now that turn times are actually manageable on Mortal Empires, I'm once again at the crisis point of staring at the big-ass list of 15 factions and wondering who I should try out. I messed around with Norsca (who seem like "what if Warriors of Chaos weren't boring"), over-expanded by confederating everyone in the north, and managed to get multiple High Elf and Bretonian factions on me at the same time. It didn't seem like something I could easily recover from, but I'm always impressed by how genuinely different all the factions play.
You can get attacked a lot, but no faction is really capable of holding the core Norsca lands. The horrific terrain, Chaos-infused order hit, and constant attrition will whittle away any invasion force into nothing--while you either rip into their lands, or retake your own.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok fellow crusaders. What is your plan as repanse after vanquishing the tomb kings.

I think i. Will be crossing the great sea but not sure to where...

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Shadowy Dealings is so fucking good. I allied with Mors to take on Kroq-Gar and Khalida and they snuck in and took a minor settlement from me. A couple turns later I just used Shadowy Dealings to take the settlement back with no negative repercussions. So good lol

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Man Malus' start really is rough. Only one port settlement I've discovered so far, meaning I might have to break down my black ark, and cut a bloody path across the south to the open ocean. He's so much fun though and his transformation is rad, but the potions are starting to get expensive(Does ME have the settlements that provide the rune items for Malekith..?) The other option is capturing 10 full provinces to get the elixir for free. Also I love the rite that gives you a hero who's level is Malekiths territory count.

Anywho, how are the new lords/turn timers treating you guys? Have a Skaven song

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like confederating with a greater clan faction should provide some bonuses to Clan Contracts. I confederated with Mors and now I have so many random armies and grey seers I have to sort through. Luckily I'm at the 3rd rank of the contracts so my stormvermins won't cost thousands to recruit.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck do you do Respanse?

Eshin and Followers of Nagash just have constant Doomstacks.

Both my allies got wiped and now I'm getting flanked from the west and east. And this is like...Turn 30.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Finished the Malus Darkblade campaign around turn 100. It was ok. His unique mechanics didn't really change much.
The Clan Eshin campaign is already off to a much better start. I love that the skirmishers have AP missiles, kiting slow infantry into their death never gets old. The Eshin mechanics are a lot of fun as well.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Facing a major food shortage on Clan Eshin's campaign. I had some food problems with Ikit but never this bad. It's mostly due to confederating with Mors and having so many extra random settlements to deal with, but is there anyway to get more food other than fighting? I don't have that many enemies near me and I'm somewhat loathe to start a war with a new faction at the moment.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Facing a major food shortage on Clan Eshin's campaign. I had some food problems with Ikit but never this bad. It's mostly due to confederating with Mors and having so many extra random settlements to deal with, but is there anyway to get more food other than fighting? I don't have that many enemies near me and I'm somewhat loathe to start a war with a new faction at the moment.
there are 8 ways to get food
  • pasture/key/major clan buildings
  • Under-empire
  • Major Settlement unique building
  • Province edict
  • Wining battles
  • Raiding
  • Tech
  • Quests/unique mechanics
The order is from the easiest to the hardest to get, IMO the key to get over the food hump is by making under-empire in the several corners of the world and building the 5% propagate building. This allows for your under.emprie to slowly expand and proabably after 40-80 turns being big enough that can sustain most of your conquests.
Also a 2-3 city povince is self sustaining so focus on those instead of the big 4 city provinces.

I also want to mention that at the a certain point the penalty is not that bad and yo ucna jsut force any battle issue by sending wave after wave of rats. The penalty that exhausted gives is so high that even the shitty infantry from skaven can inflict casualties in all but tier 5 units.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
there are 8 ways to get food
  • pasture/key/major clan buildings
  • Under-empire
  • Major Settlement unique building
  • Province edict
  • Wining battles
  • Raiding
  • Tech
  • Quests/unique mechanics
The order is from the easiest to the hardest to get, IMO the key to get over the food hump is by making under-empire in the several corners of the world and building the 5% propagate building. This allows for your under.emprie to slowly expand and proabably after 40-80 turns being big enough that can sustain most of your conquests.
Also a 2-3 city povince is self sustaining so focus on those instead of the big 4 city provinces.

I also want to mention that at the a certain point the penalty is not that bad and yo ucna jsut force any battle issue by sending wave after wave of rats. The penalty that exhausted gives is so high that even the shitty infantry from skaven can inflict casualties in all but tier 5 units.

Yeah I'm realising now I shouldve grabbed a warlock engineer ASAP and started making under-empires, I've started now but I'm already in a ditch with food and it's been really hard to manage PO and my income just gets shittier and shittier.

edit: welp I just took over Ikit's tier 5 Skavenblight pretty much for free. That was a nice chunk of free income!

Last edited:

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
You can get attacked a lot, but no faction is really capable of holding the core Norsca lands. The horrific terrain, Chaos-infused order hit, and constant attrition will whittle away any invasion force into nothing--while you either rip into their lands, or retake your own.

This is why it feels so good to play as the Wood Elves and traipse anywhere around the world with no care for attrition thanks to a technology and not having to worry about public order.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
How the fuck do you do Respanse?

Eshin and Followers of Nagash just have constant Doomstacks.

Both my allies got wiped and now I'm getting flanked from the west and east. And this is like...Turn 30.

You help the allies first. If you conquer the capital of their province they'll confederate with you. The dwarves are also your only trading partners early on.

You also want growth/replenishment buildings early as that helps healing you with all the fighting you are doing.

Repanse also has a really good Aura, wich synergises well with peasent armies. Using her skill well also makes even weak units do lots of damage. Basically you want a wide army of peasents to hold skelletons back and rearcharge with your cav over and over until they crumble. Peasent bowmen with fire arrows are also really good, try to shoot them from and angle to deny the shield bonus.

Don't worry too much about overstraining the peasent economy. You need bodies, you'll get your gold with unchivalrously plundering of enemy cities.

Lastly, theres a branch in the tech tree that gives boni vs tomb kings.

This has worked for me on Hard, don't know if it's viable on Very Hard. I imagine the leadership penalty could really hurt you if you need to rely on peasents.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't gotten very far, but I doubt it. With the Tomb Kings as neighbours you're in an arms race--it's a matter of when, not if, they'll turn on you.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Lmao looks about right. Repanse and her Dude can tank a lot. Zombies barely scratch them.

I'm not sure if there's really an alternative to an aggressive early expansion even on Very hard. You are super poor at the start of that campaign.
Yep, this is another picture that was shared regarding that gif:
Fi6SBp7.png

Honestly IMO, seeing these stories, Repanse is the highlight of the DLC(The owner of the photo eventually won against the hordes)

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Been playing and loving a Repanse playthrough. She's so strong it's amazing, especially once you get Perfect Vigour and decent equipment. I lucked out and got a Grail Armour early that gives 10% Ward Save from the first ruin and a 15% Ward Save Talisman quickly too.

I'm only playing on Hard but what help my campaign early on is that Arkhan lost against the Knights of the Flame early on, so I could easily take his Main region and confederate the Knights.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing and loving a Repanse playthrough. She's so strong it's amazing, especially once you get Perfect Vigour and decent equipment. I lucked out and got a Grail Armour early that gives 10% Ward Save from the first ruin and a 15% Ward Save Talisman quickly too.

I'm only playing on Hard but what help my campaign early on is that Arkhan lost against the Knights of the Flame early on, so I could easily take his Main region and confederate the Knights.

Im restarting my run because all my allies died.

also should I get the dlc for a Lokhir ME run?

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Im restarting my run because all my allies died.

also should I get the dlc for a Lokhir ME run?

I heard Lokhir is super good now with the Black Ark changes, but I don't really know if you necessarily need the DLC for it. You'd just be getting Medusae and Scourgerunner Chariots. Probably worth it to grab Queen & the Crone if anything.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Even the spears? Wow.

should I get the dlc for Lokhir run?

The high armor stat is the reason why especially Repanse gives no fucks about basic infantry.

Speaking of, the new skaven lords are nasty. They can kill anything very quickly. Loose sight of them in a blob and your lord might suddenly be dead before you realise he is being hurt.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard Lokhir is super good now with the Black Ark changes, but I don't really know if you necessarily need the DLC for it. You'd just be getting Medusae and Scourgerunner Chariots. Probably worth it to grab Queen & the Crone if anything.
I got Queen and Crone. What about Masters or whatever, the new Hero, are they worth?

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I got Queen and Crone. What about Masters or whatever, the new Hero, are they worth?
Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I am extremely biased in this context. I have 700h just in wh2
Thinking Logically if you aren't interested in the skaven part of the doc you are effectively only using half the content thus you should wait for a sale.
Imo however the lord packs are worth it even if you only play 1 race. 1 campaign usually lasts me at least 15-20h before I get bored. The new units and new LL for one race is more then enough content to spice a campaign for a new run.
In short it really comes down to how much 1 campaign is worth to you. For me paying 7 euro for 2 campaigns that each last 15-20h is extremely good value. For you it might not be worthwhile paying 7 euro for just 1 campaign.

I haven't talked much about the de units because I haven't used them yet. I am still playing skaven. If you don't mind waiting until a bit later i can give you a forts impression of the malus campaign

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone getting performance drops since the last patch? My fps during campaign while going through various menus and having the transitions seems to now have severe drops to the teens and 20s. I'm playing on my laptop's monitor as opposed to my dual monitor setup but I don't see why that would have an adverse effect on performance.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone getting performance drops since the last patch? My fps during campaign while going through various menus and having the transitions seems to now have severe drops to the teens and 20s. I'm playing on my laptop's monitor as opposed to my dual monitor setup but I don't see why that would have an adverse effect on performance.
I had one instance where the FPS went out the window for no good reason. I was Repanse, attacking a boat right beside one of my cities. FPS went to like ~0 for ten seconds and then recovered as if nothing happened. In the moment I thought the game crashed...

It's probably something they'll smooth out next patch.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I dabble a bit the vortex campaign for malus since he as access to the new units.
I really enjoyed the new lord and new hero. I am a bit lukewarm on the medusa and the chariot.

The new lord has several buffs for the monsters heavily buffing their charge bonus and MA. Combine those new buffs with the buffs in the red tree and i imagine that a full monster army will be near unstopable.

The new hero is very similar to the noble of the HE. he is an AL with AP and has some strong campaign and battle morale buffs. He is a really good linchpin for your army in case you want your LL to leave your lines. That said he won't be wiping out any elite units/LL any time soon.

The medusa is a weird unit. It has a strong ranged attack but is very weak in melee. Along side low HP and low armour it feels very vulnerable to almost all late game units. Despite this she is a tier 5!!! unit. Maybe i don't get how to use her but from my first impression she either needs a really big buff to reach that tier 5 level or needs to be accessible sooner. A war hydra at tier 4 does almost everything the medusa does except in melee + has regeneration.

The chariot is also a weird unit. The main problem is the lack of (melee) AP. this means that if you are fighting early game units /chaff/archers they are a great chariot unit. The problem is that they are tier 3 and a lot of tier 3 units already start to get some good armour values. Essentially they are a great unit against tomb kings, skaven, VC. But once you have acess to them chances are that other DE, HE, lizardmen will deal with them fairly easy.

Malus himself is a lot of fun.

Those are my first impressions, hope that helps in the decision

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll hold off then for now. Thanks for the review!

My Respanse run is going a lot better now with this restart. Respanse and Henri and the Green Knight in one army, Gotrik and Felix in another army, ready to storm the Black Pyramid.

The idiots decided to meet me out in the field instead.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
Having a ton of fun with Malus. I try to keep possession at max as much as possible because Tz'arkan is such a murder machine.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I had a fun battle yesterday where my confident, brand new army with a lvl1 lord confronted a full stack of veteran tomb kings and due to my hubrys it ended up in a heroic fight between my 200 hp lord and a single questing knight model against the low hp tomb kings lord.

a phyrric victory indeed.

things i've learned:

The AI has gotten way better at using spells.
mid- tier bretonian cavalry does not hard-counter tomb kings chariots. At all.

and lastly: don't do dumb things with your cavalry if it's the only win condition you have in your army.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I went back to my old ME Empire Campaign thanks to the new turn speed, and I just confederated with Reikland and OH GOD KARL FRANZ TOOK HALF OF BRETTONIA I HAVE SO MUCH LAND NOW

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all, Total WAAGH has made it mainstream.

Henry Cavill would rather be at home right now, without the fame, without the attention, sitting at his gaming PC in shorts and a T-shirt, playing Total War: Warhammer II.

Yes, Henry Cavill. Superman.

And yes, Warhammer. The game with little plastic goblins.

And he's played it through six times already, accounting for hundreds of hours of gameplay ("With six different races! And I love it each time!").

Wooooooow!

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
Tip for Malus: Tz'arkan fucking rules and you should work around the replenishment penalty as much as humanly possible to keep him around

Dude can easily tie up half an army by himself while racking up hundreds of kills with his abilities.

I'm only playing on hard admittedly, but I opted for the Southern Isles start and Tz'arkan basically carried me to the point where I'm making "fuck you" money and steamrolling.

Last edited:

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I bought part 2 on sale, but wondering if it's worth getting part 1 as well? Is part 2 a much better game that I would feel bad going back to play that and it feeling inferior?