• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's hotkeys for movement commands but they escape me right now.

Generally though you don't want to just "walk in" enemy formations. Charging gives significant attack boni to almost all units exept spearmen (they get one too, it's just small), you need to do an attack command for your units to charge.

Conversely, some units (mostly spearmen but there's others) can "brace" themselves from charges to minimise damage. They can't do that while moving though and they'll get full charage damage if they do. A cavalry unit can wreck spearmen if they charge into them while they move for example. You'll also need to face the unit charging you. Charges from the side or from behind do full damage as well.

how do you brace? Just by standing still/halting?

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Sorry for my absence. Late replies incoming but i think i can help!
Is there an 'attack move'? A way I can have my units attack without having to click each unit to each unit? Or do I simply move them forward and if they face an enemy, they'll start fighting?(Usually if I'm selecting like, 5 units, and I click an enemy, they'll all pile on the one enemy)
how do you brace? Just by standing still/halting?

There is, to my knowledge, only 1 way of simplifying that clicking. Group your line (with formation lock) and right click with the group selected. The AI will try to match the enemy line with your units. I'll be blunt this feature doesn't work very well if the units are not alined well the charger orders get a bit weird.

The main reason it is important to charge enemy units is that your units get a bonus to melee attack and weapon damage. On the unit card it is called charge bonus. This stat is why you don't usually want your units to just collide with near groups, if you don't right click you don't get the bonus.

There are units that have "charge defence against large/all units", this means that unit cancels the bonus of the attacking unit if it is braced. Brace is a unit standing still for around 5 secs (don't quote me on the time). Do note this defence only works if the enemy is charging you from the front! flanks and rear charges bypass this defence.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for my absence. Late replies incoming but i think i can help!

There is, to my knowledge, only 1 way of simplifying that clicking. Group your line (with formation lock) and right click with the group selected. The AI will try to match the enemy line with your units. I'll be blunt this feature doesn't work very well if the units are not alined well the charger orders get a bit weird.

The main reason it is important to charge enemy units is that your units get a bonus to melee attack and weapon damage. On the unit card it is called charge bonus. This stat is why you don't usually want your units to just collide with near groups, if you don't right click you don't get the bonus.

There are units that have "charge defence against large/all units", this means that unit cancels the bonus of the attacking unit if it is braced. Brace is a unit standing still for around 5 secs (don't quote me on the time). Do note this defence only works if the enemy is charging you from the front! flanks and rear charges bypass this defence.

Thanks for the deeper explanation!

Edit: I've noticed that if you have your shield spearmen in front of your artillery/archers, and you try to aim at the archers(Atleast using other archers), you aim the spearmen instead. That's pretty neat!

Last edited:
OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Thanks for the deeper explanation!

Edit: I've noticed that if you have your shield spearmen in front of your artillery/archers, and you try to aim at the archers(Atleast using other archers), you aim the spearmen instead. That's pretty neat!
I want to also add 2 features that are not explained well that , IMO, are super useful.
1) ranged firing with guard mode activated do not follow enemies that you have targeted. THis is super useful when using range dominant factions like dwarfs and high elfs. You can use this to target withdrawing units or units in the limit of your line of sight; this reduces the risk of your ranged units "charging" the line by mistake.
2) Clicking "J" makes your engaged unit to withdraw a bit. This is important when using a lot of cavalry/monsters to cycle charge. factions like bretonia and Vampire counts benefit a lot from this key, as it eases a lot on the micro-management as you can pull out your units whenever you want without the need to think where to withdraw them.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to also add 2 features that are not explained well that , IMO, are super useful.
1) ranged firing with guard mode activated do not follow enemies that you have targeted. THis is super useful when using range dominant factions like dwarfs and high elfs. You can use this to target withdrawing units or units in the limit of your line of sight; this reduces the risk of your ranged units "charging" the line by mistake.
2) Clicking "J" makes your engaged unit to withdraw a bit. This is important when using a lot of cavalry/monsters to cycle charge. factions like bretonia and Vampire counts benefit a lot from this key, as it eases a lot on the micro-management as you can pull out your units whenever you want without the need to think where to withdraw them.

Yeah, there seem to be alot of small things that you have to pick up over time. Like today I realized you could turn off skirmish mode so that your archers will fire no matter the distance(alot of previous fights I had archers run when there was like, half a unit running at them and I always thought they were feared).

Also I tried rebinding the 'Halt' key so I could effectively use a Spearwall to resist charges, but I couldn't rebind it which sucks.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Double post

But I learned after the "end battle" button appears, you can continue attacking the remaining units.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
tumblr_pjl7r7q4f01rp5coao1_1280.jpg

At turn 85 in my restarted high elf campaign. Been focusing on building up settlements, but still at war on multiple fronts with four nearby factions, and trying to expand a bit to increase income to fund better units. The Dread Fleet pops up every few turns to attack from the west, the other pirates attack from the east, and Saphery keeps attacking my eastern province and Tiranoc is being pretty aggressive in the northwest as I try to expand a bit. I'm constantly broke or near broke, but I need a second army to help guard closer to home. My second army is headed up by a noble who can by and maintain dragon units for cheaper, and that seemed cool, but I'm not sure how to use them well aside from even more protection, which I can't afford currently.

I'm also not sure how to properly use cavalry or chariot units, as they always get wiped out or close to wiped out by enemy infantry. In general I'm bad at the battling, and usually go for auto-resolve if the odds are in my favor since that usually results in less overall damage.

Help?

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017

At turn 85 in my restarted high elf campaign. Been focusing on building up settlements, but still at war on multiple fronts with four nearby factions, and trying to expand a bit to increase income to fund better units. The Dread Fleet pops up every few turns to attack from the west, the other pirates attack from the east, and Saphery keeps attacking my eastern province and Tiranoc is being pretty aggressive in the northwest as I try to expand a bit. I'm constantly broke or near broke, but I need a second army to help guard closer to home. My second army is headed up by a noble who can by and maintain dragon units for cheaper, and that seemed cool, but I'm not sure how to use them well aside from even more protection, which I can't afford currently.

I'm also not sure how to properly use cavalry or chariot units, as they always get wiped out or close to wiped out by enemy infantry. In general I'm bad at the battling, and usually go for auto-resolve if the odds are in my favor since that usually results in less overall damage.

Help?

Hmm You're Lothern on that map? From my own HE playthrough, you're at war with too many people. Too late now obviously but it's fairly easy to keep everyone in check with high elves using influence and just have trades with everyone. Lots of trades, lots of money, lots of armies, lots of stomping other people. I'd try going to peace with one faction at least, preferably one that's also at war with another you're at war with, so you can just kill that one in peace. Basically need to pick a side and just march on until that faction is dead.

Seems you have 3armies on this map, why 2 armies on Lothern? They're not even full, are you in the process of building them? If not, transfer the units into one and dismiss the 3rd lord, that's wasted income. That or just transfer then use the solo lord to sail around and grab treasures in the water. Not sure how many there are if any, but if you can see a bunch, that's a lot of potential gold, and it's basically free. Worst case your lord gets killed at sea and you don't have to pay for his income for a few turns, until he rez and you can resume the sailing around.

On cav and chariots, you have to micro them, so you don't want too many. I generally go with 2(of either, I don't do chariots+mounts, just one or the other), and put them on the sides of my army. Basically, move them on the edges far enough, then turn them around and rear charge. Then break from the melee with them(you often have to spam click away a bunch until they're well broken), and charge again, maybe a different units, maybe the same. Basically keep doing that and make the infantry crumble. Never let them into a melee with other stuff, they mostly suck in melee, especially chariots(at least the traditional ones, shit like Skaven bells and Dark Elves blood cauldrons can kinda fight well enough). That's why I don't get more than 2, it's a pain to micro too many but if you play on slow speed/pause a lot it's doable.

But personally on VH with High Elves, I just stacked basic units, no fancy stuff, I didn't like their cavs until the dragon knights and at that point I figured I'd rather have actual dragons than dragon knights. I'm not recommending you do that but the point is, High Elves don't really need to focus on fancy units. Bunch of spearmen, bunch of archers, a lord and a caster(or a caster lord, preferably one with healing stuff), that's good enough to beat most other armies until lategame and even lategame it can work if you replace spearmen with phoenix guards. Key is, focus fire your archers to melt shit, and spread your spears wide so nothing gets to the archer. And you need enough archers, none of this balanced AI 2-3archer units crap. You want like 8-12 of them. When you open fire, you need to see a solid stream of arrows, so that when you click something, it will basically break on the first or second volley, none of that "support fire" nonsense. High elf archers are exceptional and the more you have the better in my opinion, as long as you have enough spears to put in the way(and you don't need that many, spears are fairly solid at holding ground, and they don't need to hold ground for too long with enough archers in their back).

I rode the archer train all the way to T5. It started getting rough at some point mind you, especially in multiple armies battle due to ammo issues and it being harder to control your line, so having lightning strike to do 1vs1 helps quite a bit. But you can use more traditional tactics with some cavs on the flanks and some elite melee units in the center to pierce the lines(or on the flanks to work with the cav, works too). I just tend to favor archer strats a lot so when I play some elves, you can bet I'm stacking archers.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Cool!

Help?
Campaignwise I'd build walls on every settlement and tier 3 defense building on major towns then move 2 armies to conquer saphery and stabilize inner ulthuan. After that I'd regroup my armies and push after the territory lost in the mean time (as longa s you don't lose ulthuan and the major city of calebor you are probably ok!). After having calebor with walls, I'd turn around and wipe out saltspike.With inner ulthuan and eastern part of the map secure yo ucan focus on wiping tyranoc and dreadfleet.
TBF it is probably easier to restart the campaign and try to have less enemies.

In terms of cavalry and chariots. First iw ant to start to say warhammer is all about faction variety and "breaking rules" which means that the following advice might not apply to every faction.
Lets start with chariots; chariots are high mass high aceleration units, this means their objective is to disturb formation of infantry. They aren't meant to kill their opponents but give holes for other units to exploit. THis means they are a reletively high micro-managemnt unit and thus best kept when you have a lot of pratice on the game. If a chariot gets "stuck" in a melee unit they will die very fast. IMO i'd skip chariots at this point.

let's talk cavalry, cavalry units usually fit in one of four groups
  1. light cavalry - these are meant to hunt routing units, artillery and lightly armoured units (for HE this is ellyrian reavers). These units are very fragile but cheap allowing mobility in the early game, don't use these to engage enemy flankers they will likely be killed easily
  2. Ranged cavalry - these are meant to harrass the enemy line, by damaging high value targets that have both low ranged defense and low speed. (for HE it is the ellyrian reavers with bows) These units have very high mobility which means their only threat are enemy ranged troops.IMO these are best used when you know the roster of your enemy "well" Until then I'd skip
  3. melee cavalry - these are like infantry but on a horse; these units are very rare in warhammer.usually substituted by monstrous infantry. An example is the questing knights of bretonnia. Unless you are playing with bretonnia, i'd not care about this concept right now
  4. shock cavalry - these are the cavarly that controlls the flanks, their only porpose is to attack the enemy flank. If you can clear it and bring these powerfull units to the enemy rear guard you can bring destruction into the enemy army. (for the HE these are the silver helms and dragon princes) These units have a very high charge bonus which means they deal MASSIVE damage on the first 10 seconds of their combat. Their high damage means that as long as the enemy unit doesn't have "Charge defense against large" they will also do high morale damage. If they don't rout the enemy unit in the first 10 secs and aren't close to do so, you should "cycle charge". THis means widrawing the cavarly unit from combat then attack again to get charge bonus. THe easiest way to do this is by pressing "J". Units in total war are very "sticky" by design having a ahrd time disengaging, pressing "J" is, imo, easier then clicking behind them every few secs.
Personally my "basic" HE army is made of 1 Lord, 1 mage hero; 2 artillery; 4 cavarly, 6 archers and 8 spearmen. By having artillery the enemy is forced to charge me. I use the archers to wither both the flanks and high value targets until they reach me. Then use my cavarly to clear the flanks (supported by archer fire if it is possible) then move the cavarly behing the enemy lines and cycle charge until most of the enemy army routs.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My strategy for your campaign is get the sword of khaine then just launch your lord with the sword at 10 units while the rest of your units flail around dying slowly.

Ive made it 180 turns and penetrated the dark elf territory to stop the final ritual, so its worked for me?

nC0Y79c.png

Update: Since my lord with the sword is all the way in the heart of dark elves, I have been besieged by chaos because I have forgotten they attack you when you start a ritual. I am losing hard.

Last edited:

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Really thinking I ought to restart again and focus on simpler units to bolster my armies to keep the cost down and try and get more trade agreements. I basically never go into the diplomacy or intrigue menus, so that should probably change.

Maybe third time will be the charm!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The "good" factions have a much easier time--and in fact, rely upon--trade to bolster their economy. Which is helpful because they're generally beset on all sides by foes. (This is true in both the first in second games.)

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Really thinking I ought to restart again and focus on simpler units to bolster my armies to keep the cost down and try and get more trade agreements. I basically never go into the diplomacy or intrigue menus, so that should probably change.

Just to point out some expensive units that can be worth it once you have the economy to support them:

Sisters of Avelorn - Imo, the best campaign unit in the high elves roster. Archers with armor piercing and magic damage. Stack a few of them and have a lord or hero with aura buffs and you melt basically everything. Easy to use and deadly.

Swordmaster of hoeth - one of the best heavy infantry in the game. Ideal against other infantry units. But somewhat vulnerable to missiles.

Dragon Princes. It's heavy cav. cycle charge until everything flees.

The monster units like Dragons or phoenix are good, especially for sieges, but i treat them more as a luxury than a backbone of the army - unless you literally swim in gold.

Chariots are very micro intesive.

Phoenix guard are also a good unit but i prefer the sisters for killing big units and spearmen are usually good enough if you need meatshields.

White Lions - rarely worth their cost. only use when you absolutely need armor piercing infantry and you don't have access to sisters or swordmasters.

For heroes you might want a noble to kill monsters (they are good at anti large and help with replenishment after a battle) and a healing mage to keep your expensive units alive. But there aren't really any hero units i would consider "bad".

Generally, High Elves have good elite units, they are even (mostly) cost effective. That's a high baseline cost though and need a good economy to support that type of unit.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

It is very important to check out the diplomacy screen every few turns for 3 reasons:
1) AIs that don't like you will attack you if they "feel" weakness; Knowing which factions that don't like you is knowing your future enemies
2) When DoW on someone it is important to know their allies and friends. When you attack a faction you anger the factions that like your enemy which means they have a higher chance of DoW if your war takes along time
3) Trade agreements, NAP and military access are very useful to get some money from the AI. Lets say there is a faction you arent invading any time soon. You can try to get a NAP, a trade agreement and military access for some of their money. If you can get a very positive relationship you can even ask for gifts.

Alongside those 3 factors you should know that evil factions get a penalty in the diplomacy reputation which means that they will be targeted more often by AI. This means that when playing as a good faction you should use diplomacy to make friends and avoid enemies.
You should also know that defensive alliances and military aliances are very "dangerous" and you should only take them if you want to help that faction or you need better relation for that faction.
Another thing that is weird is that alliances decrease the chance of confederation; so whenever you want to conf with a certain faction do not ally them.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
It is very important to check out the diplomacy screen every few turns for 3 reasons:
1) AIs that don't like you will attack you if they "feel" weakness; Knowing which factions that don't like you is knowing your future enemies
2) When DoW on someone it is important to know their allies and friends. When you attack a faction you anger the factions that like your enemy which means they have a higher chance of DoW if your war takes along time
3) Trade agreements, NAP and military access are very useful to get some money from the AI. Lets say there is a faction you arent invading any time soon. You can try to get a NAP, a trade agreement and military access for some of their money. If you can get a very positive relationship you can even ask for gifts.

Alongside those 3 factors you should know that evil factions get a penalty in the diplomacy reputation which means that they will be targeted more often by AI. This means that when playing as a good faction you should use diplomacy to make friends and avoid enemies.
You should also know that defensive alliances and military aliances are very "dangerous" and you should only take them if you want to help that faction or you need better relation for that faction.
Another thing that is weird is that alliances decrease the chance of confederation; so whenever you want to conf with a certain faction do not ally them.

Hmmmm. I'll have to keep all this in mind. Maybe I shouldn't just accept every defensive/military alliance I get requested, especially from Yvresse. Both of my other campaigns they were pretty quickly wiped out by pirates, and they're barely hanging on 20 turns into my new campaign.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do skaven get to ambush whenever

I had one walk up to me and ambush me. Also skaven were the only ones who sieged for multiple turns for attrition to kick in.

Also fuck skaven its like they knew Id try to stop their ritual so they besieged one of my capitals en masse.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017

I had one walk up to me and ambush me. Also skaven were the only ones who sieged for multiple turns for attrition to kick in.

Also fuck skaven its like they knew Id try to stop their ritual so they besieged one of my capitals en masse.
There's a chance to start any fight as an ambush as skaven yeah. It's pretty high too and can be made higher with blue skills, forgot the exact % but it's higher than 50% iirc, so it happens a lot, including when you fight against them. Mostly you have to imagine they come out of the ground and shit, they have tunnels under pretty much everything(other than Ulthuan, but they'll still ambush you there).

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Hmmmm. I'll have to keep all this in mind. Maybe I shouldn't just accept every defensive/military alliance I get requested, especially from Yvresse. Both of my other campaigns they were pretty quickly wiped out by pirates, and they're barely hanging on 20 turns into my new campaign.

IMO, you should never ever accept a military alliance unless you want to help a certain faction. I'd only accept a defensive alliance with factions that are stronger then myself and that I think will be able to help me.

The main reason for this line of thinking is the way AI chooses whom to attack. The AI will use
  1. how much it likes you,
  2. any agreements you have with them,
  3. how powerful they are against you
When you accept an alliance, you are essentially radically changing point 1 and point 3; if both change to a "negative" the AI will likely issue a DoW on you.
Think about it like this:
Allying with someone will make their enemies "hate" you thus decreasing their attitude towards you. When you ally with weak factions like Yvresse you are essentially giving dreadfleet and other actions an "excuse" to declare war on you.
When you ally with someone the AI will take into consideration the strength of the alliance. This means that it considers not only how strong the AI faction is against your alliance but how all of your enemies strength combined is against your overall alliance strength. THis means that when you ally a faction which has stronger enemies chances are that neutral factions near you will likely choose you as their next target.

In the diplomacy screen you can see the way the AI weights its strength by looking at a bar which is filled by yellow and red. The higher the red part of the bar the higher the AI think it can win a war against you.

Both skaven and beastmen have the possibility of ambush on their base stance. I want to warn that garrisons and their armies can ambush your siege force, so be careful if you need to starve out a skaven city.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
When is that Festtags update supposed to drop? Did they give a release window?

I kinda want to start a new campaign but i also like the changes outlined in that update.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any of the custom map/building/ terrain mods worth downloading? Im looking at gccm for example. I definitely do feel the maps repeating here and there.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I like GCCM, but every once in awhile you get a fight where the AI can't figure out how to handle the map properly and kinda just mill about while you destroy them. I keep it installed for the variety, though.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I really like the Mortars of the Vampire coast. They seem much stronger than the Empire equivalent.

They are about 70% of my kills against the dinos, the zombies killing almost nothing.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the in game downloadable content list says I'm missing Regiments of Renown, when I click it, it just opens me to the steam store page. I also can't find any 'regiments of renown' anywhere on steam?

Edit: Figured it out, joined total war access

Last edited:

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
So y'all successfully got me hooked. Completed my Cold Ones vortex campaign. Then a Dawi ME campaign. And now I've bought a whole bunch more of DLC to flesh out the ME campaigns. For DLC lords that are unlocked through the first TW:W, it does not appear they load after being purchased. Unlike the standard lords for the first TW:W. Does this mean I need to download the first game and the DLC I've purchased to get the extra lords working?

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So y'all successfully got me hooked. Completed my Cold Ones vortex campaign. Then a Dawi ME campaign. And now I've bought a whole bunch more of DLC to flesh out the ME campaigns. For DLC lords that are unlocked through the first TW:W, it does not appear they load after being purchased. Unlike the standard lords for the first TW:W. Does this mean I need to download the first game and the DLC I've purchased to get the extra lords working?

No...I had this problem with Mortal Empires not loading. Go into your library page, select 'TW:W2', and make sure that it shows everything installed in the dlc box. If anything isn't checked, check it. If the DLC you want to use DOES have a checkmark in the 'installed' box, check it off and check it on again.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
No...I had this problem with Mortal Empires not loading. Go into your library page, select 'TW:W2', and make sure that it shows everything installed in the dlc box. If anything isn't checked, check it. If the DLC you want to use DOES have a checkmark in the 'installed' box, check it off and check it on again.

Worked like a charm. Many thanks! Saved so very much room on my ssd.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worked like a charm. Many thanks! Saved so very much room on my ssd.

Cheers, glad it worked!

On my own playthrough, I'm still playing my High elf campaign(Yes, I've spent 50 hours on this campaign...). I've heard that the High elves are like, the most vanilla faction, so I can't wait till I play as something else..

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I draw the line for top-tier bigh units at 2. I want that traditional/balanced unit comp for styyyle reasons.

I am terrible at the battles.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Lol. That's an expensive ass army. Fun though.

On the other hand... VC has a really strong economy.

I usually don't have the patience to build the big units. Standing around for 3 turns feels too long.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Playing through my very first campaign as High elves in the Vortex campaign. I really regret I didn't attack my nearby neighbor's city that has ritual fragments. I made peace with them at some point w/o thinking and now here I am 100 turns in and I still lack a city that produces ritual fragments.

I barely scrapped enough fragments to perform the 1st ritual

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Its on sale now! I have the first one with all the DLC, do i need to buy all the second's dlc to have acess to mortal campaign? (I want to play with the unified maps, dont have interest in campaigns)

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Its on sale now! I have the first one with all the DLC, do i need to buy all the second's dlc to have acess to mortal campaign? (I want to play with the unified maps, dont have interest in campaigns)
No, you'd just need to get Total Warhammer 2 (the base game) to access Mortal Empires, the sole unified campaign.

How it works is like this: if you own Total Warhammer 1 and Total Warhammer 2 (as in, both base games), you can access Mortal Empires. Anything else you get is extra, and will be added to that map as well. DLCs carry over into Game 2, but do not get carried back to Game 1.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No, you'd just need to get Total Warhammer 2 (the base game) to access Mortal Empires, the sole unified campaign.

How it works is like this: if you own Total Warhammer 1 and Total Warhammer 2 (as in, both base games), you can access Mortal Empires. Anything else you get is extra, and will be added to that map as well. DLCs carry over into Game 2, but do not get carried back to Game 1.
Oh, thanks then! I will buy later in the day, this total war is so addictive

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I still want a dragon Legendary Lord. Not a mount, but a character.

You made vampirates happen, you can do this CA.