• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats a good way to make money with Tomb Kings? It seems Raiding/Sacking doesn't provide alotta gold?

bonus:
gY2PUw2.gif

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Man Hierotitans are cool. I should probably get on trying another Tomb Kings campaign. Then again Three Kingdoms will be out by then...

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Early on I think you just have to kind of turtle as TK. When you get a second army is when I start expanding some, and the golf starts multiplying. Eventually you become very rich with armies strewn around the world.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Early on I think you just have to kind of turtle as TK. When you get a second army is when I start expanding some, and the golf starts multiplying. Eventually you become very rich with armies strewn around the world.

Yeah, I kinda figured...it's definitely different to other factions I've done. I can't really leave my starting location because there's Beastmen about, and I guess I do have to wait for me to research the dynasty for me to get another army..

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Which LL are you playing? As Settra I felt like I could get away with a decent amount of fighting early because Khemri is pretty well reinforced and Settra + murder kitty can kill entire armies of savage orcs and other nearby things with no AP.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which LL are you playing? As Settra I felt like I could get away with a decent amount of fighting early because Khemri is pretty well reinforced and Settra + murder kitty can kill entire armies of savage orcs and other nearby things with no AP.

Khatep. I couldn't say no to the Heirophant. I absolutely love how there's no upkeep, but the real challenge is in having enough settlements to build buildings to build stuff.

wEQ5MV5.gif

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The good thing is that West of me is nothing and is the map 'border', but the area around the starting point is mountainous and hard to get around.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Any tips with starting with dark elves?

I got attacked in a fronts, no one want to do diplomacy with me and money is short

Fuck the skaven

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Settra's the worst. Once he levels up he feels like half an army. Whenever I fight him manually, it's like 1/3 of my arm is dedicated to holding Settra off while the rest of the battle happens, then everyone focuses him down at the end.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Settra's the worst. Once he levels up he feels like half an army. Whenever I fight him manually, it's like 1/3 of my arm is dedicated to holding Settra off while the rest of the battle happens, then everyone focuses him down at the end.

haha khatep is the opposite, I leave him alone and he'll get completely destroyed.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Whats a good way to make money with Tomb Kings? It seems Raiding/Sacking doesn't provide alotta gold?

bonus:
gY2PUw2.gif

Tomb kings have a very slow economy however their armies are very expendable since as long as you have the right buildings you can remake your entire army in 3-5 turns.
In most campaigns i usually try to get my home province secured as fast as possible, then when i unlock a 2nd army i push against the weakest enemy nearby. Once you have 3/4 armies you are almost impossible to deafeat as long as you don't let the enemy sack/raze your cities. Don't be afraid to "suicide" your army if it means the enemy can't take your garrison, after all you can recruit that army for free in a few turns.
The biggest problem, for me, when commanding the tomb kings is the fact that the infantry and the cavalry are very weak for their tier. So whenever you can getting some constructs such as scorpions and ushtabi or some chariots will heavily boost your army. The usual composition of infantry, archers, cavalry and artillery is very weak in the tomb kings army.

I got attacked in a fronts, no one want to do diplomacy with me and money is short

Fuck the skaven

Depends on the LL you use and which campaign you are playing. I have played with malekith and hellebron.
- malekith for me is the easiest. Not only he is strong in melee but he also has access to powerful magic, this means as long as the enemy has similar quality you are sure to win. My strategy is usually to control my home province. Once it has walls everywhere there are 2 options: Go north and wipe the norscans or go south and wipe the faction you are at war with. One thing you should know is that you economy is slave driven, the two easiest ways to get slaves are by sacking cities or beating armies. This means that you shouldn't be afraid of a few rebelions as they will boost your economy. Also it is important to not allow slaves in recent conquered provinces due to PO penalties they bring.
Once you have 2-3 provinces secured, you have 2 options: go far away from your capital (like invanding the old world/ulthuan) or slowly expand near you. IMO the first option is easier because of the way DE play - having a black ark for replenishment + sacking a few high level cities can boost start your economy in a way no other faction can. Also since your home province is far away from the war your enemies have a hard time sabotaging your "breadbasket" provinces. The 2nd option is more traditional and while it might be more interesting since nagaroth has plenty of different races to fight with it makes your home provinces mroe vulnerable to counter attacks in case an enemy army breaks through your forces. Due to your economy being mostly slave driven if an army sieges/conquers/razes settlements with high quantity of slaves you lose a lot of income. In my campaign naggarond reaches 20k of income per turn! if any army sieges that city it will usually put me in great pressure.

It is also important to really understand the DE in battle. They are one of the most offensive races in the game, so much so that you usually decide the battle after a minute, perhaps less. The really high damage of almost every unit in the roster makes them for formidable fighters capable of taking almost any fight. Their only weakness is the lack of good cavalry/flankers. WIth the DE you want to rush the enemy as soon as you are in range of their artillery/ranged units! commit as many units as possible leaving as few reserves as possible so that when "murderous prowess" triggers you have ALL of your units engaged. Your ranged troops have AP which is very rare; this means that your darkshards should be used on high value , big hit boxes targets. They will with focused fire shred any non shielded unit in a few seconds. The biggest mistake that i usually see among my friends is focusing darkshards on weak targets just because they are on a good position to be fired upon. For example if there is a dragon, abomination, doomwheel, executioners, phoenix guard, ranged Lords,etc. these are the targets to focus on.

I won't talk much about hellebron as i feel her campaign is similar but more focused on acquiring both morathi as well as the everquens hometown. The cool thing about hellebron is she is a lovable lord killer. She never ever lets you down, you want X lord/hero killed she bring her there and she will handle it ASAP. She can even go 1 on 1 with tyrion. I don't think there is another LL in the game that can kill Lords and heros as fast as her (she has a MASSIVE MA stat). If the enemy isn't a powerful melee LL chances are you can kill him in 1 min or less.
For example in a battle where I my army was outnumbered 3 to 1 (2 armies of high elves + 1 empire army), hellebron murdered the 3 lords + 4 heros and still had about 30% HP. Pure madness!

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

Fuck the skaven

What part in particular do you have trouble with?

If you play malekith, the province to your north has a goldmine Iirc. That should help with economy i generally find that the northern and eastern provinces are easier to control at the start. That also gives you an easier chokepoint to defend from western and shouthern agression from Skaven, tomb kings and other Elves.

In battle DE archers are really good. If you want to keep your high damage units alive a bit longer charge with the spearmen first and then go in with your more expensive units. That way enemies will beat on your spearmen instead of your high damage units.

If the skaven in particular are giving you trouble: You want shielded units against skaven. Early game, shielded dark riders are really good. They allow you to attack their archers and their artillery while not getting immediately melted by archer fire. Your own shielded archers are also very good against them. Spearmen to hold the line and then you cycle charge with dark riders. Your Lord/heroes should be able to deal with their lords.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh fucking no. So I'm playing Khatep, right? And Alith Anar and me are buds. Like best buds. But being allied to him, he dragged me into war with Naggarond. And well, just right now on turn 60ish, Alith Anar is no fucking more. Ohhhh no. I am fucked so hard. His faction just got destroyed and now I'm supposed to pick the pieces up of his war?

fuuuuck m e.

And I'm surrounded by the Cult of Pleasure and Naggarond-I got dragged into war against both by Alith Anar.

DAMN YOU DYLAN SPROUSE AND YOUR SEXY ELVISH WAYS!

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What part in particular do you have trouble with?

If you play malekith, the province to your north has a goldmine Iirc. That should help with economy i generally find that the northern and eastern provinces are easier to control at the start. That also gives you an easier chokepoint to defend from western and shouthern agression from Skaven, tomb kings and other Elves.

In battle DE archers are really good. If you want to keep your high damage units alive a bit longer charge with the spearmen first and then go in with your more expensive units. That way enemies will beat on your spearmen instead of your high damage units.

If the skaven in particular are giving you trouble: You want shielded units against skaven. Early game, shielded dark riders are really good. They allow you to attack their archers and their artillery while not getting immediately melted by archer fire. Your own shielded archers are also very good against them. Spearmen to hold the line and then you cycle charge with dark riders. Your Lord/heroes should be able to deal with their lords.
My main problem is in the beggining.

I start ok, but some turns in (is my third restart), some people in the north declare war on me. By this time, im dealing with the skaven that comes from the north. Is simple impossible to fight in two fronts since i have few cities and a "small" army. Skaven comes with 3 full armies and there's rebels to deal too

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
My main problem is in the beggining.

I start ok, but some turns in (is my third restart), some people in the north declare war on me. By this time, im dealing with the skaven that comes from the north. Is simple impossible to fight in two fronts since i have few cities and a "small" army. Skaven comes with 3 full armies and there's rebels to deal too

It's important that you conquer your home province really quickly. (say, 5-6 Turns) and then move on to a second province (i think Grondh to the north has a goldmine, but the iron mountains are also an option). Don't forget, if you defeat a big army early in the game, that's your opportunity to push on. The AI will need 3-4 turns to build a new army. If you retreat to heal, you will have to defeat that army again.

Since you will be fighting a lot, build a growth building and walls (growth helps with replenishment). This also has the effect of more tax revenue and it'll help you get higher tier buildings quicker. Build walls everywhere. You can always tear them down later when you've secured your position.

Don't hesitate to max out your army with cheap units. having 8 archer units and spears in front to take the charge is a very effective tactic against the shield less marauders and low tier skavens.

once you've taken the second province, build a second army that you can keep small to help your home settlement. Toghether with the wall garrison that should be good enough to defeat early game armies. It'll mean you have low income but if you fight a lot you make that up with loot from battles.

If you want to attack a city but can't defeat the army + garrison switch into a raid stance. It'll give you money and it's likely to lure out the army that's protecting the city.

Pushing early and quickly helps with preventing your enemies from growing too much.

Last edited:

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's important that you conquer your home province really quickly. (say, 5-6 Turns) and then move on to a second province (i think Grondh to the north has a goldmine, but the iron mountains are also an option). Don't forget, if you defeat a big army early in the game, that's your opportunity to push on. The AI will need 3-4 turns to build a new army. If you retreat to heal, you will have to defeat that army again.

Since you will be fighting a lot, build a growth building and walls (growth helps with replenishment). This also has the effect of more tax revenue and it'll help you get higher tier buildings quicker. Build walls everywhere. You can always tear them down later when you've secured your position.

Don't hesitate to max out your army with cheap units. having 8 archer units and spears in front to take the charge is a very effective tactic against the shield less marauders and low tier skavens.

once you've taken the second province, build a second army that you can keep small to help your home settlement. Toghether with the wall garrison that should be good enough to defeat early game armies. It'll mean you have low income but if you fight a lot you make that up with loot from battles.

If you want to attack a city but can't defeat the army + garrison switch into a raid stance. It'll give you money and it's likely to lure out the army that's protecting the city.

Pushing early and quickly helps with preventing your enemies from growing too much.
Hmmm thanks! I will apply your advice in my new save ! Hope for the best haha

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
If your game isn't falling apart without the fixes it's probably okay to keep playing? Not that I would know anything about that anyway since I constantly start and never finish campaigns!

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Festag update is live!

Should I...quit my current Tomb Kings campaign and start a new one?

There are 2 major things this patch does if you haven't entered the beta branch before it went live.
  1. Updates old world lords red tree line, bringing them up to closer to game 2 standards
  2. fixes the bug where if you kill a vampire coast faction AND they have a cove the game crashes;
Since you are playing with tomb kings 1st point doesn't matter, depending on how far you are in the campaign the 2nd point might be a significant enough for you to restart the campaign.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the 2nd could just be a ticking time bomb, if I'm understanding it right. That's a pretty big bug.

Now, I'm having trouble remembering, what would be the top 5 Legendary Lords that do NOT get mounts? I'm in the mood to play one. Maybe I'll just Dabble with Greenskins...

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yeah the 2nd could just be a ticking time bomb, if I'm understanding it right. That's a pretty big bug.

Now, I'm having trouble remembering, what would be the top 5 Legendary Lords that do NOT get mounts? I'm in the mood to play one. Maybe I'll just Dabble with Greenskins...
my top 5:
  1. Durthu -> strong in melee+ highly resistant to almost all types of damage + caster
  2. Kholek -> MOUNTAIN GOD
  3. Throgg -> splash damage + regeneration
  4. Queek -> can kill almost any lord in seconds if he can get close to him
  5. Alith anar -> deadly at range, strong in melee
Honorable mentions
  • Vlad -> Is it possible for vlad to die?
  • Ungrim -> an unbreakable LL ...
  • Grimgor -> Extremely good at killing lords but his lack of MD and low leadership make him a glass cannon.
What do you think?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
my top 5:
  1. Durthu -> strong in melee+ highly resistant to almost all types of damage + caster
  2. Kholek -> MOUNTAIN GOD
  3. Throgg -> splash damage + regeneration
  4. Queek -> can kill almost any lord in seconds if he can get close to him
  5. Alith anar -> deadly at range, strong in melee
Honorable mentions
  • Vlad -> Is it possible for vlad to die?
  • Ungrim -> an unbreakable LL ...
  • Grimgor -> Extremely good at killing lords but his lack of MD and low leadership make him a glass cannon.
What do you think?
Looks about right, though I honestly forgot Queek had no mount. Haven't really seen Alith Anar in action either, though I'd believe it.

Vlad and Throgg are frontrunners. Thanks, karnage!

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It seems no one has claimed total war 3 kingdoms nor there is a battlefleet gothic 2 OT.
Be honest, i can take it. Do you mind me doing them? or do you think my OT is not good enough and I should just focus on this one?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It seems no one has claimed total war 3 kingdoms nor there is a battlefleet gothic 2 OT.
Be honest, i can take it. Do you mind me doing them? or do you think my OT is not good enough and I should just focus on this one?
Sure, go for it! They should be a lot easier to format because there (probably) won't be such big changes happening via post-release content.

It was great to have this OT brought over from the old place, so I'll look forward to 'em.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
x1vGl2b.gif

(The dark elves killed my only ally, Alith Anar, and literally surrounded me from everywhere. Alith Anar dragged me into war against the dark elves. A disaster :( )

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
x1vGl2b.gif

(The dark elves killed my only ally, Alith Anar, and literally surrounded me from everywhere. Alith Anar dragged me into war against the dark elves. A disaster :( )
Wait did his fall actually hurt those units? That's an amazing attention to detail.

I should look more closely during battles some time. But it always feels so hectic that I feel compelled to micro to the end.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait did his fall actually hurt those units? That's an amazing attention to detail.

I should look more closely during battles some time. But it always feels so hectic that I feel compelled to micro to the end.
Yeah I was surprised. Both going to his knees and fall hurt the unit. When I saw that I was like, 'Oh that's awesome'.

As for looking at battle details, I do it live but for battles I really like, I tend to parse the replay afterwards for cool stuff like that.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Mortal Empires Vlad really is a beast. With his high defense and regeneration he's practically immortal, and the leadership bonuses he gives his army (plus vanguard deployment) means you always have the upper hand, even with a very humble army. He really embodies that VC ability to entangle and entrap an enemy army--fodder and flying units like vargheists do that job well.

And speaking of vargheists, one touch I never noticed until now is that (large?) swooping units make the screen shake if you're really close to the impact point. Having a fleet of vargheists swoop down on someone is pure terror... and it's the greatest thing.

Man this game is cool.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Ran into a really nasty repeatable bug: if you initiate diplomacy with Pirates of Sartosa, no options pop up and you get trapped on that screen. I'm Vampire Counts in Mortal Empires, not sure if it's more widespread. Best watch out for it, y'all.

Edit: Well, it's not as repeatable as I thought. I tried interacting with Sartosa a few turns later and it's OK now. So it's a bit more random than I was thinking.

Last edited:

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Ran into a really nasty repeatable bug: if you initiate diplomacy with Pirates of Sartosa, no options pop up and you get trapped on that screen. I'm Vampire Counts in Mortal Empires, not sure if it's more widespread. Best watch out for it, y'all.

Edit: Well, it's not as repeatable as I thought. I tried interacting with Sartosa a few turns later and it's OK now. So it's a bit more random than I was thinking.
That same bug happened to me in Total Warhammer 1 years ago. So, it's totally random for sure.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Any ideas for BFG:A2 OT title?
AT first I was thinking of Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 |OT| In the grimdarkness of far ERA there is only store wars.
It sounded better in my head, rereading it makes it sound very drab. It is late so I'll finish tomorow.

I was trying to find images for my OT i was surprised to found there is almsot 0 images on google for BFG2. So i ahve been taking screenshots and will probably use those. I am going to post the OT without many images and gradually add the screenshots because i completely suck at using paint and photoshop, i take like 15 mins to get a few cuts and editions.

For the warhammer 2 OT it is really hard to get a good image for vampires coast LL. I have a good one I like but i haven't been able to crop it well enough to use. CA has also never updated the vortex or the ME empires maps sicne tomb kings....

This was the best i could find for ME, made by a fan:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 |OT| Ships ahoy!

or perhaps

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 |OT| This is not Starcraft in space!

Edit:

So My Mortal Empires campaign's gotten really weird. I'm playing as Von Carsteins, and I've taken over most of the middle part of the Empire and managed to confederate with Mousillon. I'm overstretched and in a terrible war with the the Ork factions, one that will seemingly never end. I have really limited funds so I can only ever conquer or defend, not both. As I've pushed into Greenskin territory, The Bloody Handz swoop in and push me back.

In the meantime, The Barrow Legion has all but conquered the Empire and Northern human factions, with only some stragglers remaining. But they're overextended and are having a lot of difficulty defending their territory--corruption will let them hold it, but it's really slowing them down.

The weird part is Vampire Counts... they've taken a solid chunk of the Eastern lands, pushed into the mountains, and are even conquering Norsca. By the time Chaos arrives the Norsca will be on death's door. The dedication they have is amaaazing. I've never seen them be so effective, but I guess with the added VC factions in Bretonnia it has really messed the Empire up.

Kind of tempted to restart with Norsca or Barrow Legion, though. Or maybe Dwarves... I have a very effective strategy with Vampire Counts, but I simply won't be able to do much without dozens of turns of preparation, losses, and recuperation. Then the Chaos invasion will swoop in and destroy us all.

CA did a fantastic job updating VCs. They feel really great to play. The added bloodlines and tweaks make them feel entirely in-line with TWWH2's factions.

Last edited:

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 |OT| WAAAGH! will now commence

As for Warhammer 2. I'm really excited to try the improved Vampire Counts. My second most favourite faction after Greenskins. I will probably start with a Isabella von Carstein campaign, I love playing her as a monster focused faction since even Fell Bats seemed pretty decent with all the buffs last time I played her. One thing I would love though is playing a minor faction through mods with the Bloodline Strigoi lord. I kind of doubt that we will ever see Ushoran, the first strigoi, added as a full legendary lord, so this would be a decent option at least.

I should check if that character creation mod lets you use the Bloodline lords as well.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So yeah... Throgg is strong. In his first battle, he soundly defeated a frost wyrm while holding off other units, barely managing to turn the battle around all by himself. Every other unit was wavering or routing, and as weakened as Throgg was, he held strong and allowed everyone else to rally. Then he fought the lord and bam, instant confederation.

TWWH2 Norsca are gud.
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 |OT| WAAAGH! will now commence

As for Warhammer 2. I'm really excited to try the improved Vampire Counts. My second most favourite faction after Greenskins. I will probably start with a Isabella von Carstein campaign, I love playing her as a monster focused faction since even Fell Bats seemed pretty decent with all the buffs last time I played her. One thing I would love though is playing a minor faction through mods with the Bloodline Strigoi lord. I kind of doubt that we will ever see Ushoran, the first strigoi, added as a full legendary lord, so this would be a decent option at least.

I should check if that character creation mod lets you use the Bloodline lords as well.
Fell Bats are amazing now. I used to never use them because they'd fold instantly, but now they can basically assassinate an isolated unit and fly away relatively unscathed (so long as they aren't flanked too much, or taking on good melee fighters). The thing with them is, their melee defense is incredibly high so they won't take much damage from poor fighters.

VC's playstyle of melding ground and flying melee units finally makes sense to me. I really didn't get it before, but their whole thing of entangling enemies, then picking off stragglers is so perfect. It is deliciously predatory.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I think i'm going with
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 |OT| Rouse engines to FURY!

but tbf that starcraft one got a chuckle out of me.

So yeah... Throgg is strong. In his first battle, he soundly defeated a frost wyrm while holding off other units, barely managing to turn the battle around all by himself. Every other unit was wavering or routing, and as weakened as Throgg was, he held strong and allowed everyone else to rally. Then he fought the lord and bam, instant confederation.

TWWH2 Norsca are gud.

Fell Bats are amazing now. I used to never use them because they'd fold instantly, but now they can basically assassinate an isolated unit and fly away relatively unscathed (so long as they aren't flanked too much, or taking on good melee fighters). The thing with them is, their melee defense is incredibly high so they won't take much damage from poor fighters.

VC's playstyle of melding ground and flying melee units finally makes sense to me. I really didn't get it before, but their whole thing of entangling enemies, then picking off stragglers is so perfect. It is deliciously predatory.

wait until you see throgg + ice troll x10 army. In wh1 the buffs to ice trolls made them one of the most viable composition because those ice trolls are really good at murdering infantry. Fear+ regeneration + speed debuff means that not only they are hard to kill but any rout will be decimated by them. They are also relatively fast so you can really push a highly mobile army.

I really wish we could get 2 more norsca LL. one to start in the new world and one to start in WH3 map. I like the gameplay of norsca but there is not much variability on their campaign. It is always conquer norsca then secure it from whomever is invading and stabilize the PO. I think starting positions elsewhere like skeggi would breathe new life into the faction, specially if they got a few more mechanics so they could cooperate better with beastmen, WoC, DoC and chaos dwarves (Am i assuming correctly that chaos dwarves are part of chaos "alliance"?)

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
You may be the only person in the world whose favourite faction is the Greenskins :O
To be fair, it's difficult relationship. Usually what happens is that I'm trying out another faction, but suddenly some sort of Orc or Goblin shows up on screen and I immediately just want to go play a Greenskins campaign. Then it doesn't take long to remember that the WAAAGH! system is a bit of a bummer. If they just fix that with the rework and spice the faction up a bit more, which of course needs to include adding the Snotling Pump Wagon, it will probably be back to my most played faction as well.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Adding the vampire pirates into the game has really improved Ulthuan starts. Playing as Tyrion and I haven't had to fight a single high elf so far in the vortex campaign.

Same issue as always though - eventually Malekith and Morathi confederate and suddenly there's a super power that control the top half of the map marching to victory. Really feels like they shift some of the positions around to stop it happening every game...

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda sounds like 3K will be coming in hot. I forgot it was supposed to be out last year. Edit: Actually that seems like bad reporting from the site I was looking at, nevermind. March > May were the only confirmed dates.

Still, nice to have a timeframe on more TOTAL WAAAGH content. That's what I'm really after.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I dunno what it was, but Warhammer 1 recently 'clicked' for me.

I've always preferred the historical titles, specifically Rome 1 and Medieval 2 (and Shogun 2 to a lesser extent) because of the wider scope, empire management and building etc, but recently I was doing probably my 6th campaign as the Empire and I just 'got' the game.

I'd finished an Empire campaign before, but sort of by limping along.

I was turtling too much before and not using enough opportunities. I ended up confederating with a few elector counts and steamrolling the vampires. Chaos has just invaded and I'm now waiting for Archaon again.

I own the second game and have played about half a campaign as the High Elves, but I prefer the factions in 1 and the map too as it feels more focused than Mortal Empires.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So the factions are
  • julii (rome 1)
  • Uesugi (shogun 2)
  • Migratory factions (Attila)
  • Tomb kings (warhammer 2)
  • Ostragoths (Attila)
  • Skaven (Warhammer 2)
  • Huns (Attila)
I think the factions chosen are more or less good, so the results were not that surprising. IMO attila and warhammer 2 are masterpieces in the strategy genre, i had no doubt anyone that played all total wars would pick factions in those games.

The only really surprising for me is jullii, it is by far the worse campaign of rome 1. Hiperbolic speaking the Julii campaign is defeat barbarians 1 (gaul) then beat barbarians 2 (iberic tribes) followed by beating barbarians 3 (germanic tribes) ending by spending the rest of your campaign defeating romans. In a way you are fighting "2 factions" during your campaign until you win. both scipii and brutii not only do they fight barbarians and romans like julli but also have very interesting challenges in the form of carthage, greek states and the eastern empires.

I was also surprise for Andy Hall to choose skaven, IMO it is the "weakest" race in warhammer 2. Read that as in the race in which the campaign mechanics don't seem to fully support the battle mechanics. Skaven while supposed to feel like a race that swarms the enemy they play like a "high quality harasser army", IMO vampire counts and specially the tomb kings feels much like a true swarm like faction. I'd have thought that since he is the lore "master" of CA he would have chosen a faction that translated better. That said skaven's hell pit is an amazing work from CA.

My favorite playthrough is the WRE in attila. It really encompasses the despair of the time period. the WRE is surrounded by enemies, has low funds, there are rebellious territories, has a "small" army, your only ally is under heavy pressure to abandon you and it is the focus of the huns. it was fun trying to survive against all odds.
Nonetheless the faction i have most fun in battle is lizardmen. To me there is something mesmerizing seeing the lizards units fighting, specially the dinos. The carnosaur animations are just so good! I hope the lord pack DLC will make the skinks more fun just like the GS lord pack made it possible to have a "late" game goblin army. Right now, imo, skinks are not worth using if you can afford saurus.

So Three Kingdoms was delayed and will release on May 23:
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-three-kingdoms-development-update
In FAQ they say that the next Warhammer DLC will be out before 3K which means it will be out before May 23!
So it is not too far fetched to say we can expect warhammer DLC in april, right?

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Andy Hall has loved Skaven for literally decades, I could have predicted that was his choice a yea ago. He loves those little squeaking buggers!

In other news, turns out holding off on the ritual in the vortex campaign might be the safest and most sensible way to play it, but god's is it boring. Have smashed the Dark Elf hedgemony eventually and no-one left can challenge me, so now for 50 turns of just clicking next turn and devouring the pathetic chaos ar is that spawn.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah i just start the rituals the moment they come up as a personal "house rule".

Banking rituals makes dealing with them too easy.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I own the second game and have played about half a campaign as the High Elves, but I prefer the factions in 1 and the map too as it feels more focused than Mortal Empires.
The map for the game one factions remains mostly unchanged. But the rest is just so much better in WH2. The Vampire Counts and Dwarfs already received sizable upgrades all of the other factions benefit from a bunch of new, general mechanics, balance improvements, UI and QoL improvements and lots more.
There's really no reason to play WH1 if you own both games.