• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Interesting. Empire and Greenskins feel like the factions that the largest updates but maybe that means they'll have to wait longer.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Surprising yeah, but that probably just means that the Greenskins update is going to be even better, the way it should be. Plus Bretonnia is possibly one of my third favourite factions in the game anyway.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Looks like Bretonnia will be the next WH1 faction to get an update, not The Empire or Greenskins:
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-february-2019
looking forward to brettonia rework, they currently feel very weak!

Interesting. Empire and Greenskins feel like the factions that the largest updates but maybe that means they'll have to wait longer.
I completely agree with this if we expect warriors of chaos to be reworked in game 3.
My wishlist:
empire needs
  • a couple of LL and new starting positions
  • more campaign mechanics specially something that incentives controlling and protecting the empire lands.
  • a new unique mechanic
  • a new Lord type
GS need:
  • rework of the waagh mechanic
  • Make confederations similar to norsca
  • Make the economy like norsca (lots of money from battles raiding and looting but few money from cities)
  • Rework grimgor to make him the powerhouse he should be
  • Rework azhag to be more different from a normal lord
  • add savage lord type
  • add savage hero type, melee orc hero type
  • destroy current tech tree and make something more reasonable (having the need to have tech 3 buildings to research stuff is counter productive in an offensive related faction)
  • Correct the wurzzag bug when he is confederated
  • Bonus: have a new LL with starting position in lustria
What do you think?
I'm not sure if these changes are possible at once but i hope when wh trilogy is completed these factions are like this.

Surprising yeah, but that probably just means that the Greenskins update is going to be even better, the way it should be. Plus Bretonnia is possibly one of my third favourite factions in the game anyway.
I also thought empire, GS and WE would be reworked before brettonnia. IMO the brets just need a few balance changes to make them more fun in the campaign.
Nonetheless i'm interested in what CA will be adding, the reworked VC are really cool and the new dwarf mechanic is also a lot of fun.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised it's Bretonnia, seeing as they were one of the last factions added to TWWH1. We're sure it's Bretonnia, right? It's the chalice that's the hint?

Anyways, they're the only faction I haven't really gotten into, so I welcome any changes. I imagine their changes will be more to make them relevant in Mortal Empires, rather than any dramatic mechanical overhaul; of the base game factions, them and Norsca are the most TWWH2-caliber out of the box.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Yeah it looks like that is the holy grail those Bretonnians are all about, plus the "bending the knee" line fits the faction. Would be cool if they added something like a crusader mechanic.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, one Bretonnia change I would love is for the Green Knight to be made a permanent, legendary hero. The three-use thing is such a mood killer.

I also wonder if they'll somehow change up the start locations a bit. They could probably toss a lord or two off the continent somewhere.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, one Bretonnia change I would love is for the Green Knight to be made a permanent, legendary hero. The three-use thing is such a mood killer.

I also wonder if they'll somehow change up the start locations a bit. They could probably toss a lord or two off the continent somewhere.

Yeah, the Green Knight is a cool concept but him going away and being a limited time thing is kinda ehhh. But how would you fix that, I wonder?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the Green Knight is a cool concept but him going away and being a limited time thing is kinda ehhh. But how would you fix that, I wonder?
Giving Bretonnia TWWH2-style rituals would be the easiest change. The Green Knight seems made for that.

I don't know that time limiting him makes a lot of sense on Mortal Empires, though. Depending on where/how he's summoned, he could end up spending most if not all of his time travelling.

Perhaps a ritual to summon him, and then another ritual to resummon him if he dies would be the best compromise. Sort of the way black arks work.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Giving Bretonnia TWWH2-style rituals would be the easiest change. The Green Knight seems made for that.

I don't know that time limiting him makes a lot of sense on Mortal Empires, though. Depending on where/how he's summoned, he could end up spending most if not all of his time travelling.

Perhaps a ritual to summon him, and then another ritual to resummon him if he dies would be the best compromise. Sort of the way black arks work.
I would give you a ritual but have it work a little differently. It'd be circumstance dependent, like, you'd need a major objective up, or have X enemy units in your territory. Something like that.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so I'm playing as archaon

could you always recruit the other legendary lords? or is that a mod I have

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
so I'm playing as archaon

could you always recruit the other legendary lords? or is that a mod I have
So long as you meet their requirements, yeah. e.g. Sigvald needs you to... vassalise Norsca or something like that.

The first game's vanilla factions always let you recruit the other Legendary Lords, because they were part of the same faction. It was only with the DLCs that the devs realised players like alternate starts (which necessitated new, separate subfactions) and moved more towards that.

At this point, Total WAAAGH 1 and 2 are like completely different games.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So long as you meet their requirements, yeah. e.g. Sigvald needs you to... vassalise Norsca or something like that.

The first game's vanilla factions always let you recruit the other Legendary Lords, because they were part of the same faction. It was only with the DLCs that the devs realised players like alternate starts (which necessitated new, separate subfactions) and moved more towards that.

At this point, Total WAAAGH 1 and 2 are like completely different games.

oooh I see

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
yes you can, but only if they're specific to your faction

Is that the case? I'm fairly sure I confederated Allarielle's faction whilst she was wounded, and could then recruit her as normal when playing as Tyrion.

On a complete tangent - I didn't realise how strong Vlad's "siege attacked" attribute is, but with all the bats and vargheists he starts with, you can take Mannfred out of the game on turn 2 just by attacking Drakenhof and microing a fell host into the back of his units constantly. Makes the Vlad starting position a lot more tolerable!

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that the case? I'm fairly sure I confederated Allarielle's faction whilst she was wounded, and could then recruit her as normal when playing as Tyrion.

On a complete tangent - I didn't realise how strong Vlad's "siege attacked" attribute is, but with all the bats and vargheists he starts with, you can take Mannfred out of the game on turn 2 just by attacking Drakenhof and microing a fell host into the back of his units constantly. Makes the Vlad starting position a lot more tolerable!

Oh, I meant faction as in 'High Elves/Dark Elves/etc.'. I guess I should say race.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I meant faction as in 'High Elves/Dark Elves/etc.'. I guess I should say race.

You can only confederate your own race though, so doesn't really matter does it? Whenever you confederate, you can recruit their legendary lords in TW2. In TW1 you have to do the appropriate quest for them, except for Vlad and Isabelle Von Carstein. My understanding is that the AI has to have recruited them first, otherwise they won't appear as there is no quest for them.

(Also wonder if the White Lion 'half legendary' Lord that Tyrion gets is available to others if Tyrion is confederated?).

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can only confederate your own race though, so doesn't really matter does it? Whenever you confederate, you can recruit their legendary lords in TW2. In TW1 you have to do the appropriate quest for them, except for Vlad and Isabelle Von Carstein. My understanding is that the AI has to have recruited them first, otherwise they won't appear as there is no quest for them.

(Also wonder if the White Lion 'half legendary' Lord that Tyrion gets is available to others if Tyrion is confederated?).

I was sad when I lost him. He was so cool and I considered him a legendary. The game needs more unique lords like that.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I think they recently fixed a bug where out-of-comission Legendary Lords wouldn't become available when confederating with said faction. IIRC previously, they only became yours if they were on the field at confederation (like any other lord).

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
There's a sale on all Total War: Warhammer 1+2 content on Steam right now:
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/sega_publisher_weekend/

So on a complete whim, I bought every existing Warhammer 1+2 game + DLC on sale. I've always wanted to get into it and I've waited too long for them to bundle the first game and every DLC in a complete edition. I've given up waiting and I doubt the full collection will get much cheaper than it is now.

As a newcomer, what's the best way to experience the games? I was thinking of playing it chronologically - Warhammer 1's campaigns, then Warhammer 2's campaigns, then playing Mortal Empires.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So on a complete whim, I bought every existing Warhammer 1+2 game + DLC on sale. I've always wanted to get into it and I've waited too long for them to bundle the first game and every DLC in a complete edition. I've given up waiting and I doubt the full collection will get much cheaper than it is now.

As a newcomer, what's the best way to experience the games? I was thinking of playing it chronologically - Warhammer 1's campaigns, then Warhammer 2's campaigns, then playing Mortal Empires.
I would start with the Warhammer 2 campaign and the move to Mortal Empires. Warhammer 1 isn't worth it because Mortal Empires does everything better.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

I might actually do 2's campaign first. It's a little more guided. Start with Tyrion if you want the full new player treatment.

1's campaign I think is still worth playing at least once as sort of a smaller sandbox before moving on to ME, but you do lose out on some of the faction niceties and UI improvements from 2.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

IMO the campaign you should start with depends on if you are a total war "veteran" or not.
If you are new to total war imo wh1 main campaign (old world) is easier because the map is small, there are "few" factions (around 10) and because of limited ocupation the number of threats is much lower.
If you are a strategy veteran and/or a total war veteran starting in wh2 campaign (vortex) is better. It has a small storyline, has weirder factions and has a lot of QoL updates.

The combined map (mortal empires) I'd save i for the 3rd-4th campaign because of the sheer content there is here. We are talking about 16 factions with "completely" different rosters. The first time you fight with a faction you might be defeated just due to not knowing the enemy faction; for example the dwarfs have a lot of armour, leadership and they excel at ranged combat. They don't have flanker/cavalry units. AS such if you take a fight with them and your army has low armour piercing you are in for a world of hurt.

You can also just ignored everything I said and just put the game on easy/very easy and start with the faction that you think you would like to play. You can read the OT which has a short description for each faction as well as showing almost every possible LL. In the OT I also wrote what changes there have been between WH1 and WH2, including new units and mechanics for wh1 races that are only available in wh2.

I also want to add that the mini-campaigns currently available only in WH1 are very underwhelming and as such I'd probably ignore them.

I figure I should ask, can magic harm your own troops?

Yes it does. Magic is like artillery after it is "fired" it will damage whatever it is in its path.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
tbh i found the empire campaign one of the hardest in WH1, especially once you climb the difficulties.

Unless you just conquer bretonnia instead of VC/greenskin territory, building a strong economy is difficult for much of the midgame.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
tbh i found the empire campaign one of the hardest in WH1, especially once you climb the difficulties.

Unless you just conquer bretonnia instead of VC/greenskin territory, building a strong economy is difficult for much of the midgame.

Indeed empire is hard because it is surrounded by enemies. One day i should make a list for difficulties of each faction

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I would start with the Warhammer 2 campaign and the move to Mortal Empires. Warhammer 1 isn't worth it because Mortal Empires does everything better.

I might actually do 2's campaign first. It's a little more guided. Start with Tyrion if you want the full new player treatment.

1's campaign I think is still worth playing at least once as sort of a smaller sandbox before moving on to ME, but you do lose out on some of the faction niceties and UI improvements from 2.

IMO the campaign you should start with depends on if you are a total war "veteran" or not.
If you are new to total war imo wh1 main campaign (old world) is easier because the map is small, there are "few" factions (around 10) and because of limited ocupation the number of threats is much lower.
If you are a strategy veteran and/or a total war veteran starting in wh2 campaign (vortex) is better. It has a small storyline, has weirder factions and has a lot of QoL updates.

The combined map (mortal empires) I'd save i for the 3rd-4th campaign because of the sheer content there is here. We are talking about 16 factions with "completely" different rosters. The first time you fight with a faction you might be defeated just due to not knowing the enemy faction; for example the dwarfs have a lot of armour, leadership and they excel at ranged combat. They don't have flanker/cavalry units. AS such if you take a fight with them and your army has low armour piercing you are in for a world of hurt.

You can also just ignored everything I said and just put the game on easy/very easy and start with the faction that you think you would like to play. You can read the OT which has a short description for each faction as well as showing almost every possible LL. In the OT I also wrote what changes there have been between WH1 and WH2, including new units and mechanics for wh1 races that are only available in wh2.

I also want to add that the mini-campaigns currently available only in WH1 are very underwhelming and as such I'd probably ignore them.

Thanks for all the responses! I'll start from 2's Tyrion campaign first then and move around from there. The last Total War I played was the first Rome in 2005 (I have fond memories), so for all intents and purposes I'm a new player.

Last edited:

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally got around to installing the game and wow, there has got to be a better way to install all the DLC than click the download button, load the game launcher, exit, and repeat one-by-one for every single DLC right? Clicking on any of the DLC in-game just brings me back to the steam webpage.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally got around to installing the game and wow, there has got to be a better way to install all the DLC than click the download button, load the game launcher, exit, and repeat one-by-one for every single DLC right? Clicking on any of the DLC in-game just brings me back to the steam webpage.
The free DLC? Once you have it on your account you just need to make sure it's active on the game's DLC tab in your Steam library. There's no need to launch the game to "make it stick" or anything--the client handles all this.

IIRC it does launch the game every time you add free DLC for some reason, but you can just leave the launcher open and continue adding it until you're done.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Alongside what hella said i want to add that there is a "hidden" free DLC in total war access. It is a very good DLC that adds regiments of renown to a lot of game 1 races.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
i'm finish a Vampire Counts ME campaign and i am fighting both WoC and dwarfs. Does anyone have any idea on how to win "1vs1"?
I keep losing when i fight 1 on1 so i always have to bring 2 armies. With war in 2 fronts i can't fight both with 2v1 situation.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
i'm finish a Vampire Counts ME campaign and i am fighting both WoC and dwarfs. Does anyone have any idea on how to win "1vs1"?
I keep losing when i fight 1 on1 so i always have to bring 2 armies. With war in 2 fronts i can't fight both with 2v1 situation.
How do your armies look like? That's a pretty important piece of information that is missing :P

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I think flying units are what making VCs work, regardless of how armoured the enemy is. Being able to easily wipe out ranged units and artillery at will is a gamechanger.

So, the answer to all of the VCs woes is to have 3-4 Vargheists in your army. Take out artillery and then ranged, then encircle what remains. So long as your infantry can survive and your cavalry can weaken the attackers, I think you can pull anything off.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
How do your armies look like? That's a pretty important piece of information that is missing :P
The armies i have had most "success" were:
  • non blood dragon Lord; x2 hero,x 4gg, x4 ggwgp, x2cainwraiths, x2 vargheists, x1 mortis engine, x2 bloodknights, x2 black knights with lances, x1 wolfies
  • blood dragon lord; 1xhero, 6x ggwgp, x4 gg, 1x mortis engine, x5 bloodknights, x2 vargheits, 1 wolfies,
Generally the battle goes with me charging like crazy, once the AI commits most of the frontline my wolfies and vargheits swoop in on the artillery. meanwhile my cavalry reaches the back of the enemy and i cycle charge their backs. My problem is the "meatgrinder" against the iron breakers. The ranged troops usually ide relatively fast but the iron breakers just chew through my gg. Once most of the gg are done then i ahve to commit the cavalry to a melee fight to make sure my lord doesn't get sorrounded and dies.

If i have a powerful LL i can win the battle because in the end he just wipes EVERYONE all by himself, (i had vlad kill like 1 lord, 2 heros, and 3 iron breakers groups). If i have a mediocre lord then I usually lose.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If your frontline struggles then I recommend a Necromancer on a Corpse Cart with Unholy Lodestone. The double healing aura and the +5 MA/MD aura should really help against low DPS units like Ironbreakers.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
The whole army dying exept the lord and the big monsters is what i'm used to when playing VC lol. Dwarves are one of the few tough matchups for VC so there's not really an "easy" way to beat them.

One thing you are missing from your army is Terrorgeists. They cause fear and terror, have pretty good armor and good armorpiercing. It's pretty much the ideal unit angainst Iron breakers.

Other than that what others have said: Mortis engine and corpse carts are good. GG is the right frontline unit. Varghulfs are really strong against their lords and heroes. Spellwise you want stuff that makes you more durable.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn it seems like my chaos playthrough got corrupted.

Can't load into it anymore, not even load a previous save of it? It would just crash on loading. I tested it by starting another archaon playthrough, and that one loaded into the minimap fine. No mods have been removed so...that sucks :/

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mid-way through my very first playthrough now and I'm constantly hit by nostalgia whenever I'm playing. Weirdly, it's not evoked by my memories of older TW titles but by Lords of Magic. I've always wanted a spiritual successor to Lords of Magic and this game ticks almost every box. I can't help but smile whenever I play it.

I read an article that the TK campaign feels a lot like playing Heroes of Might and Magic, another franchise I love. I can't wait to start playing that once I complete the current one I'm on.

Last edited:

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I read an article that the TK campaign feels a lot like playing Heroes of Might and Magic, another franchise I love. I can't wait to start playing that once I complete the current one I'm on.

Im kind of curious what the comparisons are that they use. TK are probably my favorite faction but I don't know that they play in a way that I'd compare to HoMM.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Here's the article. I have no idea about how much of a stretch it is but it did get my interest.

Hmm maybe? They're pretty unique in terms of campaign mechanics, but not in ways that are really talked about there aside from forging things from jars, which dwarves have now as well. I still heartily recommend the DLC if you enjoy the game, I think it's up there with Vampirates as the best expansions by quite a margin.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm maybe? They're pretty unique in terms of campaign mechanics, but not in ways that are really talked about there aside from forging things from jars, which dwarves have now as well. I still heartily recommend the DLC if you enjoy the game, I think it's up there with Vampirates as the best expansions by quite a margin.

Yup, I bought everything in the Steam Sega sale last week. Time is the scarcest resource. :(