• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
I can never complete a campaign in this game. Always keep jumping from faction to faction. Really should try to at least finsish one campagin one of these days.

Speaking of, which factions campaigns do people on here enjoy most?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Y'know, mechanically and aesthetically (like, whole package), my favourite is probably Beastmen. They have this really cool cyclic style of gameplay, where you raid and attack according to the cycles of the moon. Like, any faction based on ambushes and forest assaults is just awesome. Then visually, they're a bunch of minotaurs, satyrs, centaurs, and cyclopses, and harpies too (a Best of Greek Mythology) which is hella cool.

Only problem is I'm terrible at ambushes and forest battles, so I've never really used them to their full potential. (Same for Wood Elves.)

I should really replay both Beastmen and Wood Elves some time.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I have never finished a campaign in these games game across 120 or so hours in Warhammer 1 and 847 hours in Warhammer 2. The early to mid-game is what I always enjoyed the most and it's what keeps bringing me back.

As for who I enjoy playing the most... it's probably still Greenskins, despite everything. Just looking at their units, characters and all fills me with joy. I can't wait for their updates and whatever else they're going to get. Waaagh!

Second favourite has to be the Vampire Counts. Then probably Bretonnia? Maybe Skaven.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realise how good Carnosaurs are, being giant, deadly, as well as fast. They just rampage through an enemy's back lines and are utterly unstoppable.

And they rawwwr all the time. It's so good.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Yo, Lord Kroak sure knows how to blast skeletons. (The carnosaurs were just there to gather them all up!)
519896BDCEA68E68B8BE90E605B1DF9985BF6471

And don't ask me why my dinos are so bloody. The only ones bleeding are fellow lizards, so...

That's from a single spell (in Lucky's Overhaul, where magic is stronger). It's wiiild, obliterated like 4 units and routed another 2-4.

Is there any reason to play TW 1 first over this one?
The Grand Campaign and mini-campaigns aren't included in TWWH2. Other than that (and the low price of TWWH1), not really.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
What about the factions? Are those frpm TW 1 worth playing?
Oh, not really. They're worse versions of what's in TWWH2. In the sequel, every one is enhanced to some degree, at the very least being adapted for the max level of 40 and terrain climate stuff. (With Dwarves and Vampire Counts remastered, and presumably Greenskins and Empire coming up some time.)

NinjaEdit: Wait, I think I misunderstood. Yeah, the old factions are worth playing... just, in TWWH2's Mortal Empires.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I can never complete a campaign in this game. Always keep jumping from faction to faction. Really should try to at least finsish one campagin one of these days.

If find the vortex campaign is fun to finish because it's relatively short (by TW standarts) and each ritual step gives you a decent challenge, especially if you don't put it off too much. In TW1 you never really get to use your lategame units because no one can oppose you. That's different in the vortex campaign where you are guaranteed to face large lategame armies due to the ritual.

I think any of the vortex factions have a decent campaign as long as you don't pick the tutorial lord (because they tend to be too easy).

I had a lot of fun unsing vampire coast, it's the best realised "horde" faction imo (meaning the general is also a settlment/recruitment point).

Mortal Empires is a big commitment to finish and i often end it at the point where i can just roll over everyone.

Yes, Empire and Dwarfves have particularily fun campaigns imo, but they are all good. (meaning: playing those campaigns within TW2).

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
The Skaven economy is ridicoulous.

They have this building chain that gives you up to a 100% more income and all of their buildings do give more income. That means even the most crap province gives you at least 2.5k gold.

I'm sitting here at turn 160 with 9 armies and 40k Gold/turn. It's ridicoulous lol.

Also, all settlements you capture can instantly be on max level if you have the food, which you do with the recent patch. It's real easy to paint the map in your colour lol.

That's with almost 0 trade too.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Empire and Dwarfves have particularily fun campaigns imo, but they are all good. (meaning: playing those campaigns within TW2).
I find the dwarfs very satisfying to play. Really enjoy putting up a solid line of infantry and just pummeling with ranged and artillery. The catapult throwing goblins is amazing. I really enjoy their starting position and aesthetic as well. The forge mechanic that they added in the rework is also quite fun, although it's just a copy of Tomb Kings. You do miss out on cavalry though. I always suck at microing cavalry, so I don't really mind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Awesome, thanks! I was confused by the Warhammer 2 emblem!

Any idea on the 60FPS cap?
I agree. I think the weakest part of the warhammer trilogy is the lack of information. It is really hard to know the free content, the DLC content,etc. because of the constant updates of the game.
For example, in wh1 the DLC store page for the beastmen is missing 1 LL and 2 units.

No idea on the 60 FPS cap. I rarely use FPS counters unless i'm heaving weird problems with the game.

How do you define finishing a campaign?
In vortex i usually end up completing it. In mortal empires it is absolute madness to complete most victory conditions. For most factions the victory conditions is wipe all playable factions + tileia; IMO I prefer to change campaigns instead of just painting the map

Is there any reason to play TW 1 first over this one?
Alongside what has already been said another reason to play TW1 is that the old world campaign is faster when compared to mortal empires. For those with minimum recomended PC that might be a good enough reason to choose wh1 over wh2.
Yo, Lord Kroak sure knows how to blast skeletons. (The carnosaurs were just there to gather them all up!)
519896BDCEA68E68B8BE90E605B1DF9985BF6471

And don't ask me why my dinos are so bloody. The only ones bleeding are fellow lizards, so...

That's from a single spell (in Lucky's Overhaul, where magic is stronger). It's wiiild, obliterated like 4 units and routed another 2-4.

The Grand Campaign and mini-campaigns aren't included in TWWH2. Other than that (and the low price of TWWH1), not really.
In vanilla kroak wipes all units in his spell range. I doubt there is any need to buff him further!
Yes they are worth playing. You can read my OT for further info!
IMO the best factions are dwarfs and vampire counts; both use very unbalanced rosters which makes battles very different to toher factions. VC have no ranged and dwarfs have no cavalry/fast flankers.

I also want to add that the wh1 factions are being updated for wh2; you can read the OT on hwat has changed/being added.

The Skaven economy is ridicoulous.

They have this building chain that gives you up to a 100% more income and all of their buildings do give more income. That means even the most crap province gives you at least 2.5k gold.

I'm sitting here at turn 160 with 9 armies and 40k Gold/turn. It's ridicoulous lol.

Also, all settlements you capture can instantly be on max level if you have the food, which you do with the recent patch. It's real easy to paint the map in your colour lol.

That's with almost 0 trade too.
Personally i think it is fine because they have a real hard start, also latest patch nerfed UE to a more acceptable numbers.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Personally i think it is fine because they have a real hard start, also latest patch nerfed UE to a more acceptable numbers.

Oh yeah, i don't mind too much. It's just that usually you need to do shenanigans with hero passives to get to those numbers that quickly.

I did the dwarves campaign with the 50% upkeep penalty before this one so money not being a problem was a nice change of pace.

Also i imagine before the most recent update the campaign must've been quite a bit tougher. The new units make a huge difference, no need for 2 army shenanigans anymore.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
So I should only play TW1 if I wanted to play the campaign or can I actually accessed it from TW2 if I owned TW1?

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
The TW1 campaign is only available in TW1. That area of the map is in the grand combined campaign in TW2, though with all the other factions around and longer turn times.
Yeah what I'm basically asking is "is it possible to play TW1 factions with TW2 changes without the Mortal Empires grand maps".

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
On the eve-eve of 3K, I've been dabbling with Lucky's Overhaul's Wood Elves. They got a pretty good facelift in the mod, removing amber and instead focusing them on increasing the growth of their tree. It starts with +1 growth, and every settlement you control adds +1 per level. But their economy is strict, and for as powerful as they are, they can't field much in the way of armies. So they have a very strategic approach to any response on the world map--going one direction means leaving the other direction wide open to attack.

It feels very fitting, as they'll be spending as much time firefighting raids or incursions in their territory as they are expanding. It gives them a very local feel that you just don't get with other factions.

The most interesting part of 'em is that their forest settlements don't need growth to expand, just (a lot of) money. Which leads to an interesting balance between the need to have a strong army, and the need to expand. It kinda forces you into running a smaller army that you normally would, because their economy is too spartan to do more with. (Fortunately their units--even undermanned--are exceptionally powerful when ambushing and fighting in forests. So they'll do these tactical strikes against targets, and just devastate them, no matter how outmatched they are.)

Like, I just had the most amazing battle against beastmen that ambushed Orion's army. Outnumbered four to one, the Wood Elves scrambled into a small forest and just hunkered down. And the beastmen could barely touch 'em. It was so good.

Lucky's Overhaul impresses me more the more I play it.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Someone on the forum asked about it only showing one Old World Update and got this response from CA_James: "Yes this only goes up to the next DLC so you have more than this to look forward to!"

Super exciting news!

Edit: Too slow argh!
W7tpUH6.png

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Gotrek and Felix? The Red Duke and Boris Todbringer? Could be a ton of things :P
Speculation is half the fun! It also helps me understand more about the warhammer franchise.

Gotrex and felix would be real cool, specially if they worked like legendary heroes like lord kroak and green knight.

red duke and boris i just don't see it. IMO both deserve more then just a quest. I think having red duke as an hybrid faction between VC and bretonnia would be real cool. Boris faction needs something to make them different to the empire because they start so close to each other.

What about the WE sisters? Could those have a chance?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
There was that TWW/Vermintide coupon sharing thing a month or so back. Old Friends could be some heroes and quests modeled on those characters.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
The Sisters of Twilight could work, but I feel like "Old Friends" implies the characters (if that's what they are) to be fairly popular. The Sisters are kinda obscure in the grand scheme of things, aren't they?

What if the Old Friends are the Monstrous Beasts that have not made it into the game so far? Or some of them. Hmm, maybe it is the first of a series of Monstrous Unit Packs.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
There was that TWW/Vermintide coupon sharing thing a month or so back. Old Friends could be some heroes and quests modeled on those characters.
That would be such an odd thing to do that i feel like it is exactly what it will be.

The Sisters of Twilight could work, but I feel like "Old Friends" implies the characters (if that's what they are) to be fairly popular. The Sisters are kinda obscure in the grand scheme of things, aren't they?

What if the Old Friends are the Monstrous Beasts that have not made it into the game so far? Or some of them. Hmm, maybe it is the first of a series of Monstrous Unit Packs.
I have no idea if the Sisters of Twilight would be too obscure. My warhammer knowledge comes from games, our discussions here and the wiki. I chose them for 3 reasons:
  • CA has said that wants to rework amber mechanic
  • I think CA could re-use animations from other elf units to reduce cost
  • The new oreon faction in the southlands deserves to be a start position
With the exception of voice acting and the unique questline i think this LL would be cheap enough to be FLC.

While i like your idea better with adding monstrous units, i think those units would be reskins since they are probably the most expensive models in the game. I don't think FLC can be something too complex. All that aside I'd pay for a Monstrous Unit Pack, or even just a unit pack that adds new lord and hero types.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'm glad this game has been well supported post release
Me too. I was a bit suspicious that warhammer 2 would be worth the full price since from the features it looked more like an expansion then a full game. Yet CA managed to make improve on everything the 1st game did and make wh2's factions so unique that wh1 is the one that feels like an expansion.
I always expected wh2 to have good support due to the wh1, i just didn't expect wh1 races to be reworked; I always thought CA would only rework stuff in wh3.

I still think wh3 will be the key to make this trilogy a game that will "make it or break it". IMO CA has an almost impossible task, wh3 not only is focused on factions that are relatively similar but most previous chaos factions have been "poorly made" (read that as not a lot of fun playing them). Horde factions have been the Achilles's heel of CA. Alongside all of the above CA will also need to make some sort of magic to make the new ME campaign run well due to its sheer size.

I'm looking forward to wh3 a LOT.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The Daemon factions will probably be Wood Elves-style with quasi-religion mechanics. Horde factions are too limiting.

Maybe Horde + Wood Elves style (so a hub, but each army gains additional bonuses the more veterancy it accumulates) or something.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The Daemon factions will probably be Wood Elves-style with quasi-religion mechanics. Horde factions are too limiting.

Maybe Horde + Wood Elves style (so a hub, but each army gains additional bonuses the more veterancy it accumulates) or something.
The thing is if CA plan is still the same, game 3 is supposed to have 4 factions of chaos. If they all have the same "hub", the game at launch would be quite boring.
CA also needs to tackle both WoC and beastmen because as a horde they aren't really suited to wipe the map out nor feels as this "apocalyptic force".

Obviously if CA goes for another style of game with daemon of chaos being 1 faction and each LL having their special mechanic depending on their major god. But they would need to use all other 3 "main" factions left at once. This would mean DLC would only have 1 "race" left (nagash) and the rest would be lord packs.

What do you think?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is if CA plan is still the same, game 3 is supposed to have 4 factions of chaos. If they all have the same "hub", the game at launch would be quite boring.
CA also needs to tackle both WoC and beastmen because as a horde they aren't really suited to wipe the map out nor feels as this "apocalyptic force".

Obviously if CA goes for another style of game with daemon of chaos being 1 faction and each LL having their special mechanic depending on their major god. But they would need to use all other 3 "main" factions left at once. This would mean DLC would only have 1 "race" left (nagash) and the rest would be lord packs.

What do you think?
The post-release support for game 3 will be wild. I have no idea what would be left, outside of some kind of remaster of existing content.

But for base factions, I imagine the Chaos-aligned ones will have four factions with one lord each, one for each Chaos God. There'll be some kind of fight for dominance early on; it will culminate in one overpowering the rest and calling Chaos Undivided (Archaeon's faction) forth, uniting Chaos, and beginning the End Times. Perhaps the other new factions (Chaos Dwarves, etc) will be post-release, and the Chaos factions will have more interplay with existing factions somehow.

The reason hubs make so much sense for Chaos factions is that it gives them a platform to pour out "invasion armies" for the End Times--giving civilized factions an area to block, and Chaos factions a clear line to invade from. Part of the reason the current End Times is so unsatisfying is how the invaders appear from literally nowhere; if, instead, the Chaos factions had to rally that support, things would be a lot more interesting for both defenders and attackers.

I'd like to see Beastmen get hubs for their forests, too. Like a twisted reflection of the Wood Elf set-up. The unassailable nature of their lairs is a big part of the lore, as I understand it, in a way that hordes don't really capture--and part of their terror is how they strike from nowhere, before vanishing back into the woods.

Player-led Warriors of Chaos should just get totally overhauled. They've never really fit their purpose, IMO. I don't know what form they should take, but it needs to be fundamentally rethought so that it isn't just fighting desperately to survive for 100 turns before gradually grinding down the civilized world through attrition. They play like Beastmen rn, without any of their advantages.

Mostly, I just want the End Times to be the apocalyptic final battle that it's supposed to be. It shouldn't be a roadblock, but rather the core thing every part of the campaign is building to.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I think basically every bit of comparable content they've made has been better than the one before it. I'm confident they'll get it right by the time all is said and done, which will probably be a damn long time from now. It has the possibility of being one of the most impressive games ever made, imo.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
For those that haven't played vortex in a while you should know the campaign has changed dramatically. Due to major factions not having autoresolve bonus this means that there is no guarantee that any faction can become a powerhouse. This also means that the campaign play much slower as the major factions have a harder time in expanding thus won't always be in front of you.
It has surprised quite much because it feels like a completely different experience. I'm playing as ikit claw and most of the major races are in fact losing so they haven't been able to do more then 2-3 rituals. As such i'm literaly jsut hunkering up and playing defensively because i have an extreme lead over the 2nd place (i'm almost at the last ritual).

Anyhow if you feel like playing warhammer 2 and want to tackle a more story oriented campaign I think this is a much better experience then at launch.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Oh gosh I never even considered the effects the autoresolve rebalance would have on the Vortex Campaign. Sounds great.

Thanks for the update karnage10 .

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
You played Total War without an SSD? Are you INSANE!?
In my defense I have been slowly building up my PC since 2018. Started with mobo + cpu+ ram ---> GPU -->Xbone controller -> monitor --> chair --> mouse--> headset--> SSD. I'd still like a mechanical keyboard (a loud one), 4k TV and a good table to have my PC.

That said...I was a complete moron for leaving SSD as one of the last pieces left. Now i do question my sanity AND my intelligence.