• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LightInfa

Oct 27, 2017
first time I've ever pre-ordered DLC - this scratches all the itches I wanted - empire in lustria and lizardmen insanity. First priority will be to rush for a dread saurian as Nagai.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I'm really excited about the Empire's gates. They'll finally have a strong foothold on their Old World territory, yaaaaas.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I like that Nakai is the last roman, i really enjoyed that DLC. seeing it being applied to lizardmen is a lot of fun!
first time I've ever pre-ordered DLC - this scratches all the itches I wanted - empire in lustria and lizardmen insanity. First priority will be to rush for a dread saurian as Nagai.
We must all follow the GREAT PLAN.

For some reason I'm really excited about the Empire's gates. They'll finally have a strong foothold on their Old World territory, yaaaaas.
Hella, those puny gates won't be keeping my fellow cold blooded from punishing the empire for evading our jungles.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The new Greenskin lord is probably Gorbad. His history is entwined with Solland, which is added in the new patch. Not sure how they'll tie him into the New World though. Maybe he'll just start with the new Greenskins in Empire territory.

I also think the new Horde mechanics will play into the Greenskins somehow. Perhaps all of their armies double as mobile hordes or something, so they can go far from home and still resupply, getting WAAGHier as they go. Coupled with a better WAAAGH mechanic it would be a good way to simulate the momentum they get. And maybe they can actually make horde infighting cool again, somehow.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Who will be the counter to the orc LL? Wulfrik and Nakai make sense since Wulfriks in Nakais territory essentially.

A new Bretonnian lord? A new Dark Elf? If its new world+old world like this one...

...also hi! I like warhammer. I usually hang around the reddit total war boards for this and medieval, and I can start hanging out here for warhammer!

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Who will be the counter to the orc LL? Wulfrik and Nakai make sense since Wulfriks in Nakais territory essentially.

A new Bretonnian lord? A new Dark Elf? If its new world+old world like this one...

...also hi! I like warhammer. I usually hang around the reddit total war boards for this and medieval, and I can start hanging out here for warhammer!

The community seems to bet the safe money on the next DLC to be Eltharion the Grim vs Grom the Paunch. Grom is the only greenskin to successfully invade Ulthuon and the green skins are due for their overhauls next.

That leaves Dwarves, Dark Elves, Skaven and Vampires if the Lord packs are just going over the core races.

I could see Throt the Unclean as the pack Skaven lord, as the Hellpit forces don't have their variants or RoRs yet. Thanquol could work as the FLC lord.

That'd leave Vamps vs Dark Elves... unless CA wanted to fit the Wood Elves, Beastmen or Norsca in there. We likely won't find out til next summer.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I hope CA announces the old friends soon!
I want to see the new mortal empires map, bringing GS and WE to the empire is one of the best decisions.

The new Greenskin lord is probably Gorbad. His history is entwined with Solland, which is added in the new patch. Not sure how they'll tie him into the New World though. Maybe he'll just start with the new Greenskins in Empire territory.

I also think the new Horde mechanics will play into the Greenskins somehow. Perhaps all of their armies double as mobile hordes or something, so they can go far from home and still resupply, getting WAAGHier as they go. Coupled with a better WAAAGH mechanic it would be a good way to simulate the momentum they get. And maybe they can actually make horde infighting cool again, somehow.
the new gs LL needs to start in the new world because he needs appear in vortex campaign.
Doesn't gelt start in solland? I doubt CA woud put 2 LL in the same province.

Alongside what you say i'd really enjoy if CA decouples the units from the techs. It makes 0 sense for the GS to have some of their best units locked by tech when their playstyle is all about being agressive! i shouldn't need to develop a city AND research tech to unlock some of my units as the GS.

The community seems to bet the safe money on the next DLC to be Eltharion the Grim vs Grom the Paunch. Grom is the only greenskin to successfully invade Ulthuon and the green skins are due for their overhauls next.

That leaves Dwarves, Dark Elves, Skaven and Vampires if the Lord packs are just going over the core races.

I could see Throt the Unclean as the pack Skaven lord, as the Hellpit forces don't have their variants or RoRs yet. Thanquol could work as the FLC lord.

That'd leave Vamps vs Dark Elves... unless CA wanted to fit the Wood Elves, Beastmen or Norsca in there. We likely won't find out til next summer.
I doubt thanquol will be free, he seems to be too popular to not be a payed.
From what i read in the wiki grom and eltharion make sense for a DLC pack.
The question whom would the FLC be?

Hi!

I think it will be always new world vs old world as that makes the pack more diversified.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It seems like the empire forts are at:
  • Helmgart
  • black fire pass
  • between solland and the vaults
Nordland seems to be 3 settlements, i think it was 2 before.
Albion is now a 3 settlement province
new province in the north and sout of the empire.
I wonder if wisenland is just 2 settlements now.
I still think talabecland and stirland are too big. I wonder if new settlements were added there.

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
So, I've been playing this game for a while and I've found I'm really bad, but I understand most of the basic concepts. The two races I'm flat out terrible with are the Skaven and the Tomb Kings, both in Mortal Empire and in the Vortex campaign. Any tips for both the early and late game?

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So, I've been playing this game for a while and I've found I'm really bad, but I understand most of the basic concepts. The two races I'm flat out terrible with are the Skaven and the Tomb Kings, both in Mortal Empire and in the Vortex campaign. Any tips for both the early and late game?
do you have DLC for skaven?

I'm going to be throwing general tips as you didn't mention on exactly you are having a hard time with.

The easiest TK LL is settra because he starts with a cat; that cat is extremely strong, capable of taking 3-5 early game units. The key to his start in both vortex or empire is to slowly annex the weaker neighbors (generally speaking these are skaven and GS). Since the TK don't have upkeep you can freelly sacrifice their army. AS long as you don't lose cat and win the battle then it is a victory. Remember that settra is also one of strongest lords in the game AND he is a caster.
The key part of their mechanics is that each settlement you have increases tech speed while each tech you research it slows your tech speed. The ammount of armies you can use are related to tech.
Until you have 3-4 armies don't pick fights against strong opponents. As you have more cities you unlock stronger units, late game armies of tomb kings are BRUTAL. All the construct are extremely strong and generally talking hit above their tier; a special mention to ushtabi which are devastating. WHen you add the fact that you you lose an army yo ucan raise an equal army after a few turns it makes the TK one of the most snowbally factions

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Something else that's cool about this DLC that I just thought of is that it's an amazing value for people who don't own Warhammer 1 since they get a whole new faction (with only one LL, but still) in addition to the Lords.

The Moot is its own province now.
Halfling DLC 100% confirmed.
I would actually pay $60 for a halfling faction DLC. Come on CA! Don't be cowards. Do it! :)

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
do you have DLC for skaven?

I'm going to be throwing general tips as you didn't mention on exactly you are having a hard time with.

The easiest TK LL is settra because he starts with a cat; that cat is extremely strong, capable of taking 3-5 early game units. The key to his start in both vortex or empire is to slowly annex the weaker neighbors (generally speaking these are skaven and GS). Since the TK don't have upkeep you can freelly sacrifice their army. AS long as you don't lose cat and win the battle then it is a victory. Remember that settra is also one of strongest lords in the game AND he is a caster.
The key part of their mechanics is that each settlement you have increases tech speed while each tech you research it slows your tech speed. The ammount of armies you can use are related to tech.
Until you have 3-4 armies don't pick fights against strong opponents. As you have more cities you unlock stronger units, late game armies of tomb kings are BRUTAL. All the construct are extremely strong and generally talking hit above their tier; a special mention to ushtabi which are devastating. WHen you add the fact that you you lose an army yo ucan raise an equal army after a few turns it makes the TK one of the most snowbally factions
Thank you for the feedback on the Tomb Kings. Yes, I have all the DLC for the game that's currently released.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Thank you for the feedback on the Tomb Kings. Yes, I have all the DLC for the game that's currently released.
The easiest faction is clan skryre (at least in vortex; I haven't played skaven in ME in so long that my tips for it are probably all outdated). You can buff doomflayers, doomwheels, weapon teams (except globadiers) which make battles easier as you advance the game.
As a last resort you always have the doomrocket which will wipe out any enemy unit it touches. it generally is a "win this battle now" card.
Ikit by himself is incredibly strong so you can win against bad odds with him.

The biggest weakness of skaven is the lack of food. Early game you can aquire food by fighting or using the under-empire mechanics. Once your settlements reach level IV/V they become self sufficient (there is a building that gives food on the province capital).

The plan as a skaven is to try and fight against enemies close to you and ALWAYS get the capital settlement. If you can complete the province its great but "never" declare war for just minor buildings. Remember that in battle, as skaven, you should outnumber the enemy 2 to 1. If you do not have double the numbers then you are in a bad spot, skaven need meetshields so that their elite units have time to take the enemy down. You should always be swarming the enemy faction with slaves and clan rats! Remember in the early game to take a hero far away from home, high income cities such as lothern are great for the under-empire!

In the vortex campaign once you have 2-3 provinces you should have a strong enough base that you can win against most fights

As a side note do remember that both dwarves and the lizardmen are "hard counters" to you. Don't pick a fight with them unprepared.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The official site has some wiiild info, like...
  • A beast riding a beast? Not this Kroxigor… Nakai the Wanderer is his own mount
source.gif

the new gs LL needs to start in the new world because he needs appear in vortex campaign.
Doesn't gelt start in solland? I doubt CA woud put 2 LL in the same province.

Alongside what you say i'd really enjoy if CA decouples the units from the techs. It makes 0 sense for the GS to have some of their best units locked by tech when their playstyle is all about being agressive! i shouldn't need to develop a city AND research tech to unlock some of my units as the GS.
Dang you're right. I completely forgot about Gelt's new position.

RIP Gorbad.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017

Haven't heard the details about this but guessing it will work like inner ultran? Will it just be on the north bordering norsca/chaos? Would be particularly hard to deal with as chaos warriors as the only artillery you can get is end game.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Haven't heard the details about this but guessing it will work like inner ultran? Will it just be on the north bordering norsca/chaos? Would be particularly hard to deal with as chaos warriors as the only artillery you can get is end game.
They made a dev diary about the new Empire forts:
I think there will be a couple of them in the south, nothing in the north.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the game adds the Super Mortal Empries map where its both the more detailed maps from the first and second game (and third) combined.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I think I remember CA stating that they can't actually expand the Mortal Empires map South or North. I would love if they expanded it a bit West though, Khatep's starting position in Mortal Empires being that tiny patch of sand smushed against the invisible border is kind of a bummer.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The official site has some wiiild info, like...

source.gif

Dang you're right. I completely forgot about Gelt's new position.

RIP Gorbad.
The blog also says nakai is unbreakable! because nothing says GREAT PLAN like 1st spawning kroxigor that will fight to the death.

personally speaking with the door open between lord packs of different games, there is much higher chance of every char now appearing.
Because if CA can make money with that char then there is icentive for CA to push for even more chars.

From what i see they are actually on the south of the empire in the mountain passes. along side the blog post you can checkout the new starting positions and in those maps you can clearly see 2 forts and there are probably 2 other due to the way the border changed.

I hope the game adds the Super Mortal Empries map where its both the more detailed maps from the first and second game (and third) combined.
My comment is a nitpick but in case those that are reading don't follow the game closely I want to add:
  • Every province of game 1 is currently on ME
  • The map of game 1 has been heavily expanded in ME, with at least more 10 settlements.
I think I remember CA stating that they can't actually expand the Mortal Empires map South or North. I would love if they expanded it a bit West though, Khatep's starting position in Mortal Empires being that tiny patch of sand smushed against the invisible border is kind of a bummer.
I agree I think expanding very slightly the map to the south would give a bit more room for the lustria battle royale as well as making southlands having a sea. Slightly westward would also make the map feel a bit less "game-y" as almost all eastern provicnes feel a bit squashed.
IMO north doesn't make much sense unless CA intends to have some sort of safe haven for chaos.
I hope the game heavily expands westward!

End turn time be damned. I don't care, give me EVERYTHING.

This Mortal Empires before/after is pretty wild. Imagine what this game looks like in another couple years?
Is there a way to have access to the ME map with all factions? i'd enjoy having that on the OT!

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I think Malus, Thanquol, Gotrek & Felix, Nagash and Neferata are characters that are guaranteed to be in the game somehow by the end of things, it's just a question of when. It's why I'm actually happy to see minor characters like Tiq'taq'to make it in when they can - they might never have another chance, but the big characters will be here eventually no matter what.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
They're doing a couple of Streams for the new stuff as well, first one is Nakai tomorrow.
k1jbj0dp1l3c.png

First video is out as well.

Last edited:

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
I think if you go to the beta branches they keep some of the recent old versions there so you can switch to that when the update comes out to avoid breaking mods.

With the announcement of the next update after this not featuring an old world rework, do you think that means Vampire Counts vs. a TW2 race, since Vampire Counts just recently got their rework?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I think if you go to the beta branches they keep some of the recent old versions there so you can switch to that when the update comes out to avoid breaking mods.

With the announcement of the next update after this not featuring an old world rework, do you think that means Vampire Counts vs. a TW2 race, since Vampire Counts just recently got their rework?

That or maybe a dwarf vs. skaven pack.

Danicard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really excited with the content for the new DLC. Lizardmen are one of my favorite races.
I think i'll start my new campaign with Gor-Rok and later with Empire (when "old friends" becomes available).

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Im thinking Eltharion vs Grom the Paunch with a greenskins rework
Unfortunately the next DLC won't come alongside an Old World Overhaul, so Greenskins are out of the picture for a bit. Dwarfs vs. Skaven seem like a fairly straightforward candidate for the next DLC. I would like to see Throt the Unclean (Lord of Hellpit, all about mutations and stuff) vs. Grimm Burloksson (Master Engineer, hopefully with airships) and Thanquol as FLC, because people will be very upset if Thanquol doesn't get added.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Is there a way o keep playing the game without the update? I dont want it to break my mods.
I'll re-iterate what has been said. CA generally keeps the old patches in the beta branches.
Right-click on the wh2 game -> properties -> beta -> [select patch]

That or maybe a dwarf vs. skaven pack.
I get what both of you say, i'd even go as far as to think anno is betting on the safest and most probable choice!

That said I think bringing the beastmen back would be great. They have a lot of units that fit the DLC scheme, a starting point in the new world would be a new fresh of air to both them and nagaroth by giving personality to the roaming tribes of beastmen. CA could also test the waters to see the answer to a DLC for DLC, allowing for better planing of wh3 DLC content.
Beastmen

Unfortunately the next DLC won't come alongside an Old World Overhaul, so Greenskins are out of the picture for a bit. Dwarfs vs. Skaven seem like a fairly straightforward candidate for the next DLC. I would like to see Throt the Unclean (Lord of Hellpit, all about mutations and stuff) vs. Grimm Burloksson (Master Engineer, hopefully with airships) and Thanquol as FLC, because people will be very upset if Thanquol doesn't get added.
I think you and anno are right on point. I still think that thanquol is too high profile for FLC, i can't see him anything else then leading a DLC pack. I think clan moulder would be better for game 3.
What about clan eshin? too unknown for DLC?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I think Eshin is unable to lead armies in tabletop. Not that that necessarily means anything. Still though I think I they have their units mostly present. Moulder makes the most sense in terms of fleshing our their roster.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I do have to say though, getting Eshin's Deathmaster Snikch as a Legendary Hero would be pretty awesome. An implementation like Gotrek & Felix, where he can periodically appear in the service of the Skaven factions seems like it would makes some sense.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Eshin is unable to lead armies in tabletop. Not that that necessarily means anything. Still though I think I they have their units mostly present. Moulder makes the most sense in terms of fleshing our their roster.

Eshin can, just as a generic Warlord (It's only Age of Sigmar that made clanrats and warlord's their own clan). But no, a Skaven Asassin can never be the leader of an army according to its own rules (Including the Deathmaster). Though one possible workaround are the Eshin Sorcerers from Mordheim.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
CA confirmed on Twitter that "All the content will go live at approximately 3PM BST on Wednesday 11 September."