• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Got decently far into the Gelt campaign until I got bored. The new Empire mechanics are a big improvement but I wish they were a bit less random.
An Mortal Empires is getting worse and worse in terms of turn times and stutter. Hopefully the December update will improve that.

Oct 25, 2017
It is less useful than it sounds--the hostile armies are spawned for the event. I don't think it ever happens due to another faction's aggression.

Best case scenario is, it triggers for rebels. (And I'm not even sure it does that.)
Started a volkmar campaign and you are right, the events get boring after a while

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Just finished the Nakai Vortex campaign. It took me about 100 turns and I enjoyed it most of it. It was way smoother than the other horde factions but the lack of empire management if still felt.
Let's hope CA can come up with something even better for the Daemons of Chaos.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Start to play Mortal Empire again since I've just bought an SSD. And loading the campaign map less than a minute is so gooooooooood!

Previously, with an HDD, I have to wait 5 minutes just to load the map lol

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I find myself wanting to return to Lucky's Overhaul more than anything rn. That mod's longer battles, deadlier magicks, and wildly diversified playstyles makes Mortal Empires so much more fun, so much that I don't really want to go back to vanilla. Also I want to play Greenskins... again...

It'll be a few weeks before the mod is updated for the new version, but Lucky's Empire overhaul hit prior to the DLC, so there's a lot to look forward to there.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
CA released a development blog. They are trying a new method of comunication by anouncing their plans/roadmap instead of the usual "radio silence" until a few weeks before content release.
In terms of warhammer 2 they confirmed a lord pack for december, greenskin rework for next year, wh3 has entered production and that races with low ammount of lore are not planned to be added (grace mentioned that araby is not planned)

They also tease a saga game.

For 3 kingdoms CA has anounced that there will be a free update in october. Over the next year the plan is to release chapter packs of these events:
  • era of the Yellow Turban Rebellion and Liang Province rebellion,
  • the clash of Cao Cao vs Lü Bu in the central plains.
Lastly our elephant faction Nanman was also confirmed.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm admittedly only at the halfway point of the campaign but i'd have thought the hostility mechanic in wulfhardts campaign would be a little bit more punishing.

Only now that i'm filling the meter a third time do Lizardmen start to declare war on me en masse.

That said, the economy is pretty punishing. It's great to get elite units but their upkeep immediately kills what little funds you have and since no one likes you, no trade routes are available early on.

Who knows though, now that the Lizardmen truly hate me things might get dicier.

Last edited:

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
What are good late game empire units? Feel im getting my ass kicked with the shielded spearmen and handgunners..

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
What are good late game empire units? Feel im getting my ass kicked with the shielded spearmen and handgunners..
You'll want some fodder to bog down the enemy, but handgunners, siege weapons, and cavalry should be putting in the most work, in my experience.

The problem with handgunners is how picky they are. As direct-shot ranged units, they need a direct line of sight to their target. So they either need to be elevated or flanking to fire at all. Which means they have a lot of downtime, and are a prime target for enemy cavalry.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

Empire is a bit of a jack of all trades faction, which means that they don't really have great lategame units in the same way other factions do. The exeption being Demogriph knights and canons.

There's 2 main strategies i'd use:

-classic Total war with an infantry frontline and using heavy cavalry to charge from behind. Ideally you also use a healing for this tactic. You also want some terror causing units like demogryph knights or a hero/general on a gryphon.

- you go artillery heavy and play similar to dwarves. Canons in the back with layered melee and ranged infantry in front. Some cavalry to prevent flanking from the enemy. Hero/Mage units can help a lot here too.

There's not really a magic formula though, you kind of have to adapt to what faction you are fighting.

Edit:

Just because i'm bored:

2H Swordsmen: Anti infantry, Armor piercing, you want to use these against infantry, including heavy inf. Note, they tend to not be as good as other greatsword infantry, so you want to help them with guns/cav/heroes if the fight against that.

Handgunners: armorpiercing missiles, they can be a bit unwieldy because they need line of sight. If you can, put them on an elevated position. They do a lot of damage to pretty much everything but they don't have the best range and bowmen/crossbowmen tend to be their counter.

Mortars : exellent against lightly armord infantry and pretty much everything with big blobs.

canons: slightly counterintuitive but canons are ideally used for anti-large (and walls). Monsters and Cavalry in particular.

Heavy Cav (their name escapes me right now): Exellent for charging infantry, decent in sustained combat but ideally you cycle charge with them. They also do well against other cavalry units unless they are specialized anti-Large cav.

Demogryph knights: the halbert variant is one of the best monsterkillers around. They are good in sustained combat but you do want to heal them so they last longer. I don't like the anti-infantry demogryphs as much (they are still good) and tend to use the other heavy cav instead of these. Mostly due to cost.

Last edited:

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
how often do you guys alt-fire/select a spot for your artillery to hit, rather than focus on a unit/free fire?

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I never do this. I imagine it could be pretty good in sieges.

Are they more accurate this way?

I don't know, I see a lot of streamers that play on Legendary use it, but I usually just let my cannons/artillery free fire. Whenever I target something specifically they always end up moving around and lose time doing so, so I'm not sure how to do it effectively. I imagine if it's a choke point or just a big blob that it might be pretty useful though, since they could randomly target fast moving cav or something in free fire and miss.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know, I see a lot of streamers that play on Legendary use it, but I usually just let my cannons/artillery free fire. Whenever I target something specifically they always end up moving around and lose time doing so, so I'm not sure how to do it effectively. I imagine if it's a choke point or just a big blob that it might be pretty useful though, since they could randomly target fast moving cav or something in free fire and miss.

You can easily get 500+ kills using the alt fire into a blob. Sending a tanky lord in front to tie up 3 or more units and then alt firing with artillery. They reduced the effectiveness recently by making units not blob up as much on a front line lord, but it's still effective.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
You can easily get 500+ kills using the alt fire into a blob. Sending a tanky lord in front to tie up 3 or more units and then alt firing with artillery. They reduced the effectiveness recently by making units not blob up as much on a front line lord, but it's still effective.

I'll give that a go with those blessed cannons next time!

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
You'll want some fodder to bog down the enemy, but handgunners, siege weapons, and cavalry should be putting in the most work, in my experience.

The problem with handgunners is how picky they are. As direct-shot ranged units, they need a direct line of sight to their target. So they either need to be elevated or flanking to fire at all. Which means they have a lot of downtime, and are a prime target for enemy cavalry.
Empire is a bit of a jack of all trades faction, which means that they don't really have great lategame units in the same way other factions do. The exeption being Demogriph knights and canons.

There's 2 main strategies i'd use:

-classic Total war with an infantry frontline and using heavy cavalry to charge from behind. Ideally you also use a healing for this tactic. You also want some terror causing units like demogryph knights or a hero/general on a gryphon.

- you go artillery heavy and play similar to dwarves. Canons in the back with layered melee and ranged infantry in front. Some cavalry to prevent flanking from the enemy. Hero/Mage units can help a lot here too.

There's not really a magic formula though, you kind of have to adapt to what faction you are fighting.

Edit:

Just because i'm bored:

2H Swordsmen: Anti infantry, Armor piercing, you want to use these against infantry, including heavy inf. Note, they tend to not be as good as other greatsword infantry, so you want to help them with guns/cav/heroes if the fight against that.

Handgunners: armorpiercing missiles, they can be a bit unwieldy because they need line of sight. If you can, put them on an elevated position. They do a lot of damage to pretty much everything but they don't have the best range and bowmen/crossbowmen tend to be their counter.

Mortars : exellent against lightly armord infantry and pretty much everything with big blobs.

canons: slightly counterintuitive but canons are ideally used for anti-large (and walls). Monsters and Cavalry in particular.

Heavy Cav (their name escapes me right now): Exellent for charging infantry, decent in sustained combat but ideally you cycle charge with them. They also do well against other cavalry units unless they are specialized anti-Large cav.

Demogryph knights: the halbert variant is one of the best monsterkillers around. They are good in sustained combat but you do want to heal them so they last longer. I don't like the anti-infantry demogryphs as much (they are still good) and tend to use the other heavy cav instead of these. Mostly due to cost.

Thanks for the tips! Ive got a Foundry in production so Ima invest in hellfire rockets

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, just noticed that every Dark Elf lord in Mortal Empires is rated 'Hard' now. I think it used to be different?

Makes me wonder how they calculate that stuff, since Malekith in particular has one of the safest starts in the game.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I was just having a really fun battle, and then suddenly the game crashed... :(

Is it just me or the auto resolve is really odd right now? I have a full-stack against 3 spearman and 2 archers, and somehow my Bolt Thrower is destroyed :|

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Getting back into it with the Empire update. Enjoying it, but maaaaaan the starting units are worse than I remember, lol. Or maybe it's just that I'm pushing too fast for the new start.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Getting back into it with the Empire update. Enjoying it, but maaaaaan the starting units are worse than I remember, lol. Or maybe it's just that I'm pushing too fast for the new start.

Yeah like I was saying earlier the Empire units seem to get outclassed quickly. But Ive won some lopsided battles by microing missile cavalry and using Gelts magic to soften units before they get to me.

Also I just finally got the Hellstorm Rockets, and let me tell you, nothing like flying Gelt to pepper the enemy with magic while July 4th happens around him

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like I was saying earlier the Empire units seem to get outclassed quickly. But Ive won some lopsided battles by microing missile cavalry and using Gelts magic to soften units before they get to me.

Also I just finally got the Hellstorm Rockets, and let me tell you, nothing like flying Gelt to pepper the enemy with magic while July 4th happens around him
Outriders/Pistoleers feel pretty incredible if the enemy isn't fielding a lot of armor or shields, yeah. Those ammo limits, though, ugh.

I'm playing Franz and just bit off waaaay more Orcs than I can chew. Breaking the enemy 5, 6, 7 times each doesn't count for much when they keep coming back to the fight.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outriders/Pistoleers feel pretty incredible if the enemy isn't fielding a lot of armor or shields, yeah. Those ammo limits, though, ugh.

I'm playing Franz and just bit off waaaay more Orcs than I can chew. Breaking the enemy 5, 6, 7 times each doesn't count for much when they keep coming back to the fight.

I don't know if it works for empire but if a strong unit breaks but isn't shattered I send one of my light cavalry after them so they are chased off the map

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it works for empire but if a strong unit breaks but isn't shattered I send one of my light cavalry after them so they are chased off the map
It was just like 20 stacks total of Goblin Spearmen, plus enough specialty stealth units and archers scattered in that I ended up taking too-heavy casualties on some units. Like fighting the damn ocean, lol.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
It was just like 20 stacks total of Goblin Spearmen, plus enough specialty stealth units and archers scattered in that I ended up taking too-heavy casualties on some units. Like fighting the damn ocean, lol.

Ive had both skaven and orc stealth units mess up my artillery badly in a few fights. It suuucks when that happens that I ended up putting a spearman unit next to my artillery when fighting Skaven and Orcs as a reflex

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So, Empire ports aren't worth building, right? A tier 5 one gives 200 gold and like 30 growth, for the low cost of... I dunno, 12k in total?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I opt-ed into the beta branch where they reverted the port changes. I can finally upgrade the Marienburg port!
Whoa, I never noticed they had one; that's great!

Feels like they should have a bonus to trade or something if they're going to be so low. The economy pass they mention should make the numbers feel a lot better across the board.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This comment made me to a few rounds of Chokepoint battles where I take on 2 large Chaos and Norca armies with some Flagellants, Huntsmen, and about 25 Helstorm Rockets.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
This comment made me to a few rounds of Chokepoint battles where I take on 2 large Chaos and Norca armies with some Flagellants, Huntsmen, and about 25 Helstorm Rockets.

In campaign?

I was gonna test some stuff out in the laboratory but apparently the units are capped in that mode too ;\ rip 10000 zombies vs. 25 helstorm rocket dream

Oct 25, 2017
With the new update Ive been trying a Volkmar flaggellant army and man, you have to level himup quickly to get all the buffs for flagellans otherwise is impossible

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up playing as Lokhir Fellheart, somehow. His slavery-based economy is bananas. Without all that income he'd be hopeless against all the Lizardmen.

They changed how Black Arks works some time back. They no longer count as an army, and have a lot of upkeep reduction. So now you can actually run black arks in addition to regular armies, and rule the seas! Bwahahahahaha.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
With the new update Ive been trying a Volkmar flaggellant army and man, you have to level himup quickly to get all the buffs for flagellans otherwise is impossible

I just started levelling a Templar lord dude(the uh, flagellant based lord) and hes satisfying to use. Real kino against vampires.

I did confederate with the Empire so I guess I should use Volkmarr?

Oct 25, 2017
I just started levelling a Templar lord dude(the uh, flagellant based lord) and hes satisfying to use. Real kino against vampires.

I did confederate with the Empire so I guess I should use Volkmarr?
yeah, the charge bonus and missile resistance, Physical Resistance , MD and the 30% bonus weapon strenght volkmar gives and the being unbreakable they are perfect to pin down the enemy for your artillery to kill whatever is in front of you, add to that the bonus replenishment and is really fun.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough, I ended up restarting the turn, and managed to beat that army by retreating the first time it came in and getting a chokepoint battlefield the second time. Numbers advantage mattered a lot less when the lines were so bunched up, and it was suddenly possible to kill the enemy Lord before hit my lines. Whodathunkit.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Funnily enough, I ended up restarting the turn, and managed to beat that army by retreating the first time it came in and getting a chokepoint battlefield the second time. Numbers advantage mattered a lot less when the lines were so bunched up, and it was suddenly possible to kill the enemy Lord before hit my lines. Whodathunkit.

Ive gotten out of alot of uneven matchups against Vampire Counts by baiting Mannfred on his winged horse beast with my Gelt on his pegasus to flying into my handgunners, and then taking out the high target priorities after.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember in TW1 where all you had to do was kill the Vampire Counts Lord and that was all you needed to win the battle?

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
I actually don't, was this patched out? It sounds hilariously broken (though probably thematically accurate).
Yes, basically once the Lord was killed, all undead units would instantly be set to disintegrating. Now they take a penalty hit to morale but don't start instantly disintegrating.

Yeah you can still deal a heavy blow by killing all the lords/heroes/carts. Then just kite them until they disintegrate 😂😂😂

Oct 27, 2017
I got the 50% off offer from Total War Access so I guess I'm buying this today. I'll also probably buy 1 piece of DLC. Which would you guys recommend? H&B or one of the DLC races first?