• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Waaaagggh LL pls

Plssssss CA

TBF i really want GS to get some sort of rework. I really enjoy their roster (at least 3 different armies!) and the way their units work. Campaign wise it is very lame and the main reason i haven't played them since wh1 foundation patch.

That said CA has said that they wouldn't receive a LL with the next DLC. Fingers crossed that they are coming in march/april
I hope so!
I think if we don't get news this week the DLC will be delayed for next year (assuming announcement coming 14 days before release)

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
If I've only played Warhammer 2 (and have 99% of the DLC) and want to branch out into other Total War games sans 3K, what would you guys recommend?

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
If I've only played Warhammer 2 (and have 99% of the DLC) and want to branch out into other Total War games sans 3K, what would you guys recommend?

I think that there aren't really "bad" Total war games to go back to. I'd pick a history period you like and go for that title.

Pre shogun 2 the titles do start to show their age though.

the abscence of a lot of good and smart UI and control changes that got made over the years start being felt strongly for titles older than it.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I think that there aren't really "bad" Total war games to go back to. I'd pick a history period you like and go for that title.

Pre shogun 2 the titles do start to show their age though.

the abscence of a lot of good and smart UI and control changes that got made over the years start being felt strongly for titles older than it.

I was leaning towards Rome 2 or Medieval 2 so I guess I'll pick up Rome 2

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It depends on what you are looking for. IMO you should choose a time you like! that said this is my opinion on the tittles.

shogun 1 and medieval 1 are very outdated. I'd skip them if you don't have any nostalgia.

Between rome 1 and rome 2 i'd slightly favor rome2. Rome 1 uses the old engine. This engine makes the battles feel very differently. Rome 1 was the first 3D total war so in terms of graphics it shows, It also is very fantasy based. Rome 2 is better in almost every way except for the differences in design philosophy. (for example in rome 1 every settlement can have every building, you can have unlimited number of armies, you have to build your garrison, etc.). Personally the greatest strength of rome 2 is the sheer amount of starting positions as well as the several different campaigns. Main problem of rome 1 is the AI having problems creating a worthwhile army, specially late game.

medieval 2 is using the older engine. It is essentially a better version of rome 1. In my opinion when the AI works (AI has a really hard time with sieges) is one of the best total war to date. It also is the first total war to try and make differences between factions (catholics and muslims have a special mechanic, while orthodox had some different bonus).

Empire and napoleon are gunpowder based games. Empire has a very big campaign but the map is very uninspired (france has only 1 settlement - paris...) and requires mods for the AI to at least work like intended. Napoleon is essentially an uprgade to empire but the map is focused in europe. Empire has the best naval battles in the total war series, they are a sight to behold.

Thrones of britannia is an experimental tittle and it shows. It has very different mechanics when compared to other total war and tries to be a smaller campaign. I liked it but its limited roster and map make for limited replayability.

shogun 2 is amazing. from the artstyle to the animations, you will feel like a samurai. It captures the sengoku jidai perfectly. Its main weakness is the "realm divide" that when you get big enough everyone DoW on you which is a bad mechanic in my eyes.

Shogun 2 fall of the samurai. the best gunpowder tittle and it also kinda allows battles between non gunpowder factions vs gunpowder factions. It also features ironclads.

Attila is my 2nd favorite total war. unlike all other total wars, attila is all about survival. Every feature is made to try and limit your expansion while any loss might be the start of the end to your empire. It feels like you are about to lose almost every single turn. The huns are also one of the few major threats total war has created. they are extremely strong in the open field and stop replenishment of their enemy when they are encamped. IT also has several different starts from mighty empires at the brink of collapse (both roman empries), to stable empires (sassanids) going through migratory tribes (vandals) and settled tribes (iceni).
Attila also has several DLC that are interesting int heir own right. Charlemagne is a glimpse of medieval 3. The last roman feels like a scripted campaign (I wish warhammer copied more from this campaign). The bigest problem of attila is its diffultcy. Unlike XCOm where there are several catch up mechanics, here starting to lose can make a vicious circle that leads to defeat.

In short my list would be:
  1. warhammer trilogy
  2. Attila
  3. 3 kingdoms
  4. Shogun 2 fall of the samurai
  5. Shogun 2
  6. Medieval 2
  7. Rome 2
  8. Thrones of britania
  9. Napoleon
  10. Rome
  11. Empire
  12. medieval 1
  13. shogun 1

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Skaven time!
159f7d8f0f6b3c6b2e91c01bd30cba931c3f7a6a.png

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
I wonder what the gameplay mechanics for each faction will be. And the free lord...are we 100% sure it's a Dark Elf? Who else can it be...

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
If i was only going to buy Vampire Coasts or Tomb Lords which should I buy?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I wonder what the gameplay mechanics for each faction will be. And the free lord...are we 100% sure it's a Dark Elf? Who else can it be...

Not 100% for sure, no, but pretty close. We know it's not a Skaven and I don't remember them doing a FLC lord for a race that isn't part of the lord pack it's launching with. Maybe back in TWW1?

What kind of combat mechanics do you like? VCoast is a lot of shooting people, Tomb Kings have a variety of options but really prefer some range mixed with monster mashing. Both have pretty awful infantry for killing anything.

Feb 12, 2019
Haven't messed around with Tomb Lords too much, but Vampire Coast are a lot of fun. They're a range-heavy faction whose gameplan (at least how I fumbled around with them) involves holding that frontline with your garbage, disposable infantry as long as possible for your ridiculous gunners to blow things up.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Personally i prefer the tomb kings. I find their gameplay more fun but it really is up to you. Both factions are great.

Tomb kings:
campaign
- free upkeep but limited number of armies
- can produce items and units
- vortex campaign focuses in conquering/defeating certain settlements/armies

Battle:
- very weak infantry
- elite and diverse monsters
- unique lore of magic

Vampire Coast
campaign
- hybrid faction (uses horde and normal land faction mechanics)
- vortex campaign focussed in achieving certain objectives as well as becoming the most infamous.

Battle
- heavy focus on gunfire by cheap, numerous. expandable and weak zombies and by strong artillery
- suported by tar pits and "tanks" (for example giant crabs)
- unique lore of magic

Check their trailers and see what factions you think you will like the most. You won't go wrong with any of them.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
forgot to say but Tomb Kings havea construct that is animated as a cat. It is absolutely super enjoyable seeing a giant cat playing with the enemy units
It's a vampirate's life for you. Total Warhammer 2's best DLC.

Tomb Kings are also really good, though. CA figured out a good formula for TWWH2.
Tomb kings have a cat

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019

pls no we have enough dino boys

Not 100% for sure, no, but pretty close. We know it's not a Skaven and I don't remember them doing a FLC lord for a race that isn't part of the lord pack it's launching with. Maybe back in TWW1?

I feel we have a wide variety and I don't think any more can fit in Naggarond...especially since Hag Graef is Malus turf more or less. Unless they start him out in the chaos wastes further north?

Depends what you want.

Vampire Coast has a bunch of fun artillery and ranged units. Some of the cooler ones like Necrofex. They are also mobile bases more or less, you can build them up and recruit on themselves. Really plays up to that fantasy of being a pirate.

Tomb Kings are awesome. They have no upkeep, meaning you can have whatever you want and not worry about paying. The down side is they need temples and buildings to recruit stronger units. The up side to this is that you can eventually have, say, an army of 19 Hierotitans, with no upkeep, and they wreck shit!

QCO5OC6.gif

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019

Yes but Tomb Kings have Settra... Great King, the Imperishable, Khemrikhara, The Great King of Nehekhara, King of Kings, Opener of the Way, Wielder of the Divine Flame, Punisher of Nomads, The Great Unifier, Commander of the Golden Legion, Sacred of Appearance, Bringer of Light, Father of Hawks, Builder of Cities, Protector of the Two Worlds, Keeper of the Hours, Chosen of Ptra, High Steward of the Horizon, Sailor of the Great Vitae, Sentinel of the Two Realms, The Undisputed, Begetter of the Begat, Scourge of the Faithless, Carrion-feeder, First of the Charnel Valley, Rider of the Sacred Chariot, Vanquisher of Vermin, Champion of the Death Arena, Mighty Lion of the Infinite Desert, Emperor of the Shifting Sands, He Who Holds The Sceptre, Great Hawk Of The Heavens, Arch-Sultan of Atalan, Waker of the Hierotitan, Monarch of the Sky, Majestic Emperor of the Shifting Sands, Champion of the Desert Gods, Breaker of the Ogre Clans, Builder of the Great Pyramid, Terror of the Living, Master of the Never-Ending Horizon, Master of the Necropolises, Taker of Souls, Tyrant to the Foolish, Bearer of Ptra's Holy Blade, Scion of Usirian, Scion of Nehek, The Great, Chaser of Nightmares, Keeper of the Royal Herat, Founder of the Mortuary Cult, Banisher of the Grand Hierophant, High Lord Admiral of the Deathfleets, Guardian of the Charnal Pass, Tamer of the Liche King, Unliving Jackal Lord, Dismisser of the Warrior Queen, Charioteer of the Gods, He Who Does Not Serve, Slayer off Reddittras, Scarab Purger, Favoured of Usirian, Player of the Great Game, Liberator of Life, Lord Sand, Wrangler of Scorpions, Emperor of the Dunes, Eternal Sovereign of Khemri's Legions, Seneschal of the Great Sandy Desert, Curserer of the Living, Regent of the Eastern Mountains, Warden of the Eternal Necropolis, Herald of all Heralds, Caller of the Bitter Wind, God-Tamer, Master of the Mortis River, Guardian of the Dead, Great Keeper of the Obelisks, Deacon of the Ash River, Belated of Wakers, General of the Mighty Frame, Summoner of Sandstorms, Master of all Necrotects, Prince of Dust, Tyrant of Araby, Purger of the Greenskin Breathers, Killer of the False God's Champions, Tyrant of the Gold Dunes, Golden Bone Lord, Avenger of the Dead, Carrion Master, Eternal Warden of Nehek's Lands, Breaker of Djaf's Bonds... and many, many more...

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I feel we have a wide variety and I don't think any more can fit in Naggarond...especially since Hag Graef is Malus turf more or less. Unless they start him out in the chaos wastes further north?

I also wouldn't be super surprised if they went with some other race. This just seems like probably the last time to flesh out what you ultimately want Canada to look like for the rest of the series since I can't imagine they expand on it come game 3.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Gods, Settra would totally rattle off his titles while fighting, wouldn't he.
He'll start on Ulthuan is my guess.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Tullaris Dreadbringer as a FLC starting as the DE force on Ulthuan would make some sense. His version in Mixu's makes those HE starts a lot more fun since it's not just some generic thing.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
The tomb kings are a "snowball" faction.
It starts hard because your units are crap and you have no money to upgrade anything (to compensate for free units, you get very little cash from anything). The unit caps can be as brutal as upkeep costs for other factions and your settlement development will be way slower than everyone else.

Once you have enough cash and settlements to field some good units, you become totally unstoppable and will just keep getting bigger. You can even lose whole armies and still be able to recover easily. If you want to play in an ironman style, Tomb Kings are great because they can quickly recover due to having zero recruitment costs.

Tomb kings also let you do really crazy things that are just not viable for other factions. Recruiting an entire stack of chariots? No problem.
You'll often be in a situation where normally you'd create a balanced army rather than recruiting expensive units where you don't need them, but with no recruitment costs and no upkeep, there's no reason to not recruit the best units.

Hard hitting but vulnerable units can also be used stress-free. If they die, just recruit some more for free. Pyrrhic victories are usually no problem.

Matheulbeuk

Dec 16, 2018
We anime now boi !

Such a cool trailer for a weeb like me. Cant wait to stab-kill kill in the back all the good guy lord.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
FLC info. She's WHFB's Joan of Arc.
The Shadow & The Blade will be accompanied by the release of the Free-LC Legendary Lord for Bretonnia Repanse de Lyonesse – more information will be released soon.

Also this quote from PCInvasion about the accompanying patch that's basically WTF-if-true.
One more thing of note is that the free update will also have some significant QOL improvements. One of those improvements is a 60% decrease in wait times between turns.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

So good Holy crap. also Malus is much "edgier" then what i expected. his tranformation sounds a lot of fun. I wonder if CA can further improve this mechanic so that malagor could switch between flying and land version?

Obviously until we see the stats there is no way to be 100% sure but are the new DE chariots artillery? or more like outriders/war wagons?

I don't even whom i'd choose for my next campaign, they sound so much fun

Oct 25, 2017
Im way more excited for the FLC on this one, I played a lot with the Skaven thanks to Ikit Claw already, playing a bretonnian faction in the vortex campaign should be interesting, especially if they start in the southlands

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Looks like just Skaven and Repanse for now. New Skaven stuff looks fun and very ratty and Snikch is amazing to watch in combat. Repanse seems pretty powerful, though like most FLC not always the most unique. Her model will help out a lot there, though. And she basically has a second lord-level character in her grail knight friend.