• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I hope Snikch is worth it, usually I have absolutely no reason to use any Skaven leader first besides Ikit. Thanks workshop and nukes.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I hope Snikch is worth it, usually I have absolutely no reason to use any Skaven leader first besides Ikit. Thanks workshop and nukes.
I doubt he will have the power and versatility of ikit but at the very least he will give a new starting postion as well as unique mechanics. He should be a fun LL to play with.

Its usually the FLC LL that are a bit drab, so i'd be more worried about Repanese adding just a new starting position than about snitch not being fun.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I doubt he will have the power and versatility of ikit but at the very least he will give a new starting postion as well as unique mechanics. He should be a fun LL to play with.

Its usually the FLC LL that are a bit drab, so i'd be more worried about Repanese adding just a new starting position than about snitch not being fun.

True. If there's any faction in need of a facelift or at least an upgrade, it's Bretonnia.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Repanse seems like a pretty straightforward Lord in the manner you'd expect of a DLC. She'll probably buff non-cav units more than other lords as her niche in campaign. Having Henri on a hippo is only like the...4th? source of terror that Bretonnia has, though, so that's pretty unique. Plus I think she just looks really cool. A lord on foot fighting amongst the peasants and men-at-arms is enough of a distinction for me to try a campaign with her.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Repanse seems like a pretty straightforward Lord in the manner you'd expect of a DLC. She'll probably buff non-cav units more than other lords as her niche in campaign. Having Henri on a hippo is only like the...4th? source of terror that Bretonnia has, though, so that's pretty unique. Plus I think she just looks really cool. A lord on foot fighting amongst the peasants and men-at-arms is enough of a distinction for me to try a campaign with her.
I agree but I still wish there was a paid LL for rbetonia that shook things up. Right now all 3 LL of bretonia feel very similar with most of the change being the starting position enemies. I wish that Repanse was something more then new starting position + new way to buff the army.

For example every (paid) DLC LL in warhammer 2 has a special mechanic:
  • everquen has ulthuan unification + WE units
  • hellebron has the death night
  • Ikit claw has workhop and nuke
  • teheheuin has the spirit of coatl and his unique scarifice mechanic
  • Nakai is a horde
  • Huntsmarhall has special mechanics tor recruit units + unique heroes

While FLC usually have very few unique mechanics:
  • Alith anar has an unique unit and a special "assassination" mechanic
  • Tiktaktoe has no special mechanic
  • rok gar starts with lord kroak
  • Tretch has no special mechanic
  • Lokhir makes black arks easy to get
IMO FLC are a bit less "game changing" then the paid DLC.
I really wanted something more for Brettonia! something that could make bretonnia feel different.

That said who knows the future? maybe there will be further content for bretonnia and i'm just here wasting time. After all i was kinda disapointed with tik tak toe because i'd have prefered nakai and i ended up getting both + gor rok.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
They've opened the door for new Game 1 faction content, I think that bodes well for the future.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Bretonnia also just kinda are what they are unless CA is allowed to invent something new. They're arguably the most complete faction in the game, it's just that that faction is more narrowly defined than some others.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Repanse has no new mechanics/units? Sad day
Wait a bit!
We know she has an unique hero. Up until now CA hasn't announced any special mechanics. She could still have special mechanics BUT usually this is not the case for FLC.

Do remember that my post was an answer to whether Snitch would be as fun as ikit. To which i replayed that Repanse is the one that is less likely to have enough mechanics to differentiate from other bretonian LL

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
We don't know anything about the campaign side of these characters really. New units have only once I think come with FLC, so getting her super Paladin buddy is better than most of them in the past.
Wait a bit!
We know she has an unique hero. Up until now CA hasn't announced any special mechanics. She could still have special mechanics BUT usually this is not the case for FLC.

Do remember that my post was an answer to whether Snitch would be as fun as ikit. To which i replayed that Repanse is the one that is less likely to have enough mechanics to differentiate from other bretonian LL

Ooooh ok. So all the vids we got are just from the custom battle mode? Gotcha

Feb 12, 2019
Finally decided to start a new game after playing a bunch of other stuff for a few months and getting some of the last DLC during the steam sale. I eventually settled on Balthasar Gelt in a Mortal Empires campaign, playing on hard to challenge myself. It's been a learning experience.

First off, it's been just long enough since I've played a Total War to have forgotten some of the more... strategic, strategies (Maintain formation? Yeah, that's definitely... something I could do.) and second off because it turns out the Empire is generally a much different playing faction than, let's say... the Skaven. It was only when the Greenskin hordes were knocking at my door that I realized I should've been focusing more on shock cavalry and artillery instead of the Empire's average, but uninspiring infantry/archers and some of their other, fun, but gimmicky cheap units (Free Company Militia and Huntsmen are fun to shoot things in the back with, but they crumple quickly when faced with a bunch of Orc Boyz) I also haven't really played with a wizard main lord, and Gelt is about as durable as a wet paper bag until he gets some levels.

On the other hand, the new Elector Count system for the Empire seems like a lot of fun. Having to balance the immediate benefits of all those extra armies and territory with the economic shock if you don't disband them and the prestige penalties if you don't defer seems like a really neat mechanic. I guess I'll keep that in mind for my next game. On Normal.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Really dissapointed that Malus starts with a military alliance with Naggarond. The vortex campaign is already an unbalanced mess because at some point, every single game, the dark elves will all vassalise each other and turn into one giant blob. This just adds more to that.

It's bizarre that you're more likely to have civil war when playing High Elves than you are Dark Elves in the current campaign. They need their starting locations spread across the map like other races, and some form of guaranteed antagonism built in to prevent the purple blob which always forms.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Someone brought up a good point. Is Malus' Black Ark going to be stuck in that ocean pocket to the east? Streamer ElichTV suggested something like a traversal point where you can move your fleet and it moves it to the big ocean west of the Southlands, would make a lot of sense. They had that in Empire: Total War.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Someone brought up a good point. Is Malus' Black Ark going to be stuck in that ocean pocket to the east? Streamer ElichTV suggested something like a traversal point where you can move your fleet and it moves it to the big ocean west of the Southlands, would make a lot of sense. They had that in Empire: Total War.

Oh yeah. On ME the ship is stuck on the east side. Also they really expanded that side! Maybe the ark floats

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I think it's actually Tiktaq'to. I really enjoyed the campaign I played with him, lots of flying units just dropping bombs on everything.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Feb 12, 2019
I tried to play Teheniuan (Cult of Sotek) and it turns out that 200% upkeep penalty for Saurus units until you control multiple provinces means they're sort of the Lizardmen's equivalent to Crooked Moon. And let me say, running around with an army of nothing but skinks is probably not the way to learn how to play as Lizards.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I tried to play Teheniuan (Cult of Sotek) and it turns out that 200% upkeep penalty for Saurus units until you control multiple provinces means they're sort of the Lizardmen's equivalent to Crooked Moon. And let me say, running around with an army of nothing but skinks is probably not the way to learn how to play as Lizards.

I haven't played Tehen since Nakai and Gor'Rok came around to give him better potential allies, but at launch he had the hardest start in the game I think. I found it really fun, though. Any lord that gives me Flock of Doom and thousands of rats to cast it on is an A in my book.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I tried Tehenhauin and Kroq-Gar and really liked both playthroughs. Tehen was really hard and took multiple attempts but I eventually got it down and it felt pretty rewarding. Kroq's was way easier starting in a little corner and having big boy saurus and the new units from Gor-Rok to play with. I ended up going to war with the Dwarfs though and had to fight through the mountains which was pretty annoying and tough, but it ended up being really fun in the end.

Feb 12, 2019
Oh wow. Guess I can start playing Mortal Empires games without needing something to keep me busy while I wait for AI turns.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Though it's always a question at what turn that was recorded. Early turns weren't that terrible in Mortal Empires. Approaching turn 100 and beyond is probably the real test.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Though it's always a question at what turn that was recorded. Early turns weren't that terrible in Mortal Empires. Approaching turn 100 and beyond is probably the real test.

It was taken from a campaign LP that was put up a day early by mistake and quickly taken down, so I assume it's the beginning of the game. Still, that's crazy fast for even that time in my experience, and if something like that can be extrapolated out over the whole game I'll still be extremely happy. Hell if half that difference is I'll be very happy.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
MXVLRfa.jpg

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Yeah, that's true. Plus it probably means they are getting a better idea of how these things work and can get improved, so it might actually get even better in the future. Maybe. Time will tell.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'd guess they just have some kind of streamlined AI for unimportant factions. Or maybe they just optimised how the AI decides things on a per-faction basis. Or both.

It'll be interesting to see if there is any impact on how the AIs perform, strategically.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Repanse has a Steam page now. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1158181/Total_War_WARHAMMER_II__Repanse_de_Lyonesse/

"Repanse de Lyonesse, or the 'Damoiselle de Guerre' as she is known throughout Bretonnia, is a revered knight of the Chevaliers de Lyonesse. Armed with the mighty Sword of Lyonesse and fighting beside her trusty paladin companion, Henri Le Massif, she embodies the unrelenting crusading spirit of her brethren.

Leading the faction of Chevaliers de Lyonesse, Repanse wages a chivalric conquest across the Southlands to ensure the foul filth of the undead, Skaven, and Greenskins are cleansed from the deserted plains. A very powerful close-combat warrior, she has several unique skills granting her a range of bonuses including Physical Resistance and Melee Defence for her and her army."

ss_f503a284fa1a650858e087c8008baf3c1108a6ea.jpg
ss_11aece724e882aa481fc5df7c5c698263346c815.jpg

ss_d4ecc7e44859508ce6007657548fa8e51d399d4b.jpg

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
This game is already great but man, when it's all said and done this game is going to be a huge achievement. Pretty much the definitive Warhammer fantasy experience.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
This game is already great but man, when it's all said and done this game is going to be a huge achievement. Pretty much the definitive Warhammer fantasy experience.

I think it's already that. Only really Vermintide could compete.

By the end of this whole thing, assuming obviously that the quality stays up, I think it'll be one of the most impressive games ever made.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
So excited for the patch notes! The new unique landmark buildings look awesome, can't wait to sink my teeth into Snikch and then Repanse/Malus