• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Also just saw that the Kill Trait for the Deathmaster gives your character Concealment Bombs. I could make a sneaky Grimgor!

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Lmao later game Snikch gets an ability that lets him delete a faction from the game every 100 turns. Just gone, replaced by rebels after their leader is assassinated. That's so good. Hopefully the AI can use it on other AI.

I hope CA keeps going for overpowered abilities like this that can just change the entire landscape of the game rather than annoyingly overpowered-in-battle buffs like Ikit had at launch.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Lmao later game Snikch gets an ability that lets him delete a faction from the game every 100 turns. Just gone, replaced by rebels after their leader is assassinated. That's so good. Hopefully the AI can use it on other AI.

I hope CA keeps going for overpowered abilities like this that can just change the entire landscape of the game rather than annoyingly overpowered-in-battle buffs like Ikit had at launch.

That sounds like alotta fun. Its also balanced in a way that most players will only use it once if not twice every campaign(If they're snikch)

Rad!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
REPANSE_2_GIF.gif

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to Hella for pointing me over here.

Started a campaign last night after a few attempts in the past but this time I had a friend watching over Discord who gave me some advice.

I am now 109 turns into Tyrion's campaign and I have loved every moment. Really looking forward to the shorter turns update.

Already deliberating who to try next.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017

Started a campaign last night after a few attempts in the past but this time I had a friend watching over Discord who gave me some advice.

I am now 109 turns into Tyrion's campaign and I have loved every moment. Really looking forward to the shorter turns update.

Nice, welcome! Tyrion is definitely a super fun campaign, and my first as well.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

welcome!

I agree with you, tyrions is a lot of fun

At launch i actually found tyrion's campaign super easy and boring. Iwould spend most of the time either unifying ulthuan or taking wave after wave of DEs in nagaroth.
With the addition of the vampire coast incursions, the sword of khaine, removal of nagaryth, bigger DE presence in the northern part of ulthuan, the addition of alith in nagaroth and the removal of major faction bonuses; it made the campaign unpredictable and much more fun.

For those that played him at launch I highly recommend giving him another run, specially in ME. It is a vastly different campaign. With the exception of chars in lustria I think this is the char that has had his campaign change the most by changing his opponents

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
welcome!

I agree with you, tyrions is a lot of fun

At launch i actually found tyrion's campaign super easy and boring. Iwould spend most of the time either unifying ulthuan or taking wave after wave of DEs in nagaroth.
With the addition of the vampire coast incursions, the sword of khaine, removal of nagaryth, bigger DE presence in the northern part of ulthuan, the addition of alith in nagaroth and the removal of major faction bonuses; it made the campaign unpredictable and much more fun.

For those that played him at launch I highly recommend giving him another run, specially in ME. It is a vastly different campaign. With the exception of chars in lustria I think this is the char that has had his campaign change the most by changing his opponents
I second this. The addition of Vampire Coast factions overhauls Tyrion's early-game strategy.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
The new lord art looks fantastic. The zoomed in models did not look great at times.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
A new book by CA, impressive!

The new lord art looks fantastic. The zoomed in models did not look great at times.
I feel divided. On one hand the new portraits look better on the other hand I highly prefer using the game assets.
Imo the in game models have enough quality to be in the portrait, that said there is still a video showcasing the cool in game model.

I am really looking forward to this patch. I am glad CA changed black arks! that will be a game changer for both DE and most factions with coastal settlement.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'll miss the potato quality live portraits. There's a certain charm to them.

also
Vampire Counts AI now absorbs the Rival Vampires at the start of a campaign

451570629867601930.png

Edit: Wait!

Clan Pestilens tweaks

Clan Pestilens has received a few nuggets of plaguey goodness to spice up their campaign…

• Clan Pestilens now unlocks the Rite of Pestilence when constructing a Pox Cauldron instead of a Pestilent Nave
  • -15 turn cooldown on the Rite of Pestilence
  • Clan Pestilens now enjoys uniquely large benefits for spreading plagues to their own forces and cities, granting growth and economic benefits for cities and powerful combat bonuses for forces
  • Clan Pestilens now has access to a special Under Empire building that continuously spawns a plague in the settlement above
  • New faction effect: Chance of a plague spreading +50%
!!!

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The Horned Rat wishes all a virulent poxmas and a deep, festering sleep. May his fever-plagues bring you warmth in these frigid-cold times.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Watching a Total Warhammer 2 Eshin stream and saw Repanse and she is so cool just walking around, smiting skeletons and Beastmen.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
It's cool that they are adding faction specific tweaks. The skavens were super samey despite having lots of lords now. Black arks were also kind of a boring faction mechanic for DE.

I wonder how much of all these updates they'll be able to port onto 3. That seems like a huge undertaking.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
It's cool that they are adding faction specific tweaks. The skavens were super samey despite having lots of lords now. Black arks were also kind of a boring faction mechanic for DE.

I wonder how much of all these updates they'll be able to port onto 3. That seems like a huge undertaking.

I wonder what kinda tech do they have. Like one would think, they can simply port it over to the newer game by adding the appropriate extensions to enable that stuff. But Mortal Empires took..half a year to come out? I imagine it's gotten easier for them over time to be able to optimize their engine for porting content.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what kinda tech do they have. Like one would think, they can simply port it over to the newer game by adding the appropriate extensions to enable that stuff. But Mortal Empires took..half a year to come out? I imagine it's gotten easier for them over time to be able to optimize their engine for porting content.

I'm sure it's gotten easier but there's also more stuff to port.

They may also do some engine updates that could complicate stuff. Warhammer 2 looks good but assuming 3 will be end of next year at the earliest they'll probably upgrade some of the visuals.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I started a Settra campaign while waiting for the patch and it's been a huge rollercoaster. Wanted to stamp out Arkhan early but he ended up being so far away that I'm now caught on a two front war with Kroq-Gar/Tiktaqto and Arkhan. It's exhausting just raising army after army while trying to figure out the tech tree and what to prioritize. Any good tips on how to fight the stacks of beasts Lizardmen throw at me? They have like 19 feral stegadons/carnos and I don't have enough anti-large to deal with them effectively.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I always have trouble against lizardmen in the early game, though more because of the saurus infantry than the monsters. Do tomb kings have anti-large heroes that spread terror? or good casters that debuff/buff a spear/halberd formation?

Also, having light cavalry to chase broken dino's so they can't come back can help a lot.

I'm not super familiar with tomb kings though, so i may be talking nonsense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I started a Settra campaign while waiting for the patch and it's been a huge rollercoaster. Wanted to stamp out Arkhan early but he ended up being so far away that I'm now caught on a two front war with Kroq-Gar/Tiktaqto and Arkhan. It's exhausting just raising army after army while trying to figure out the tech tree and what to prioritize. Any good tips on how to fight the stacks of beasts Lizardmen throw at me? They have like 19 feral stegadons/carnos and I don't have enough anti-large to deal with them effectively.
To beat an army of dinos you have to do 2 things.
1) Bring a LOT of chaff to pin the dinos down
2) bring some AP ranged firepower such as ustabi and bone giant and if possible some strong monsters like the necrospinhx and herotitan

There is really no way around. the lizardmen are one of the strongest melee army in the game. As tomb king you really don't have a lot of options at ranged so you will need to bring twice as many armies to be sure to bring down a Dino army.

The 2 ideas that the tactics above explore are the following:
1) by having a lot of chaff the enemy dinos will eventually be tired while your reserves will be fresh (being exhastued gives a HUGE penalty to armour, MA,MD,LD,etc.)
2) by having some strong key missile units you can pick very dangerous targets from afar (like a blessed carno). Having strong melee monsters give you a reserve force that can stop the AI from sniping your lord/hero/ranged missle unit.

As everything in total war you can also just brute force it. Ranged units at the minimum always deal 1 damaged. I think most dinos have like 10k life. SO if you bring 2-3 armies full chaff and archers, theoretically you can bring down those beautiful lizards

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Huge upgrade to those portraits.

Is a Chaos update on the table or is that expected to come with Warhammer 3?

CA has been mum on Chaos - but since the last 8th edition armies left either have ties to chaos or ARE chaos, everyone assumes we'll see a WoC, Norsca and possibly Beastmen update around then.

My personal theory is that they'll announce another pre-order bonus, but instead of a "race pack" like Norsca was it'll be a Lord pack / update for the existing Chaos factions.

At any rate, we're not likely to hear anything until late spring / early summer 2020.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
CA has been mum on Chaos - but since the last 8th edition armies left either have ties to chaos or ARE chaos, everyone assumes we'll see a WoC, Norsca and possibly Beastmen update around then.

My personal theory is that they'll announce another pre-order bonus, but instead of a "race pack" like Norsca was it'll be a Lord pack / update for the existing Chaos factions.

At any rate, we're not likely to hear anything until late spring / early summer 2020.

It's design is very much influenced by Attila and while it's a cool idea, there's too many things that don't work about it and it's missing a lot. Especially features we've come to expect from factions in Warhammer 2 but even the vanilla factions in Warhammer 1 had more to them.

I would love to see a warriors of chaos faction that incorporates all of the Chaos Gods. The current one is very Khorne influenced, which looks cool but it would be nice to see all of them have units and flavor to add to your armies.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
To beat an army of dinos you have to do 2 things.
1) Bring a LOT of chaff to pin the dinos down
2) bring some AP ranged firepower such as ustabi and bone giant and if possible some strong monsters like the necrospinhx and herotitan

There is really no way around. the lizardmen are one of the strongest melee army in the game. As tomb king you really don't have a lot of options at ranged so you will need to bring twice as many armies to be sure to bring down a Dino army.

The 2 ideas that the tactics above explore are the following:
1) by having a lot of chaff the enemy dinos will eventually be tired while your reserves will be fresh (being exhastued gives a HUGE penalty to armour, MA,MD,LD,etc.)
2) by having some strong key missile units you can pick very dangerous targets from afar (like a blessed carno). Having strong melee monsters give you a reserve force that can stop the AI from sniping your lord/hero/ranged missle unit.

As everything in total war you can also just brute force it. Ranged units at the minimum always deal 1 damaged. I think most dinos have like 10k life. SO if you bring 2-3 armies full chaff and archers, theoretically you can bring down those beautiful lizards

Thank you! I have stabilized now and have managed to drive Kroq-Gar out to the point where they got confed'd by Hexoatl. I don't really have the income to get multiple advanced buildings per turn so it's been really slow to tech up and have stacks with multiple necrosphinx/hierotitan etc.

Lokhir managed to take the jungle half of the Southlands so I'm finishing off the dwarfen expedition here and then moving on down after consolidating some stacks.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
It's design is very much influenced by Attila and while it's a cool idea, there's too many things that don't work about it and it's missing a lot. Especially features we've come to expect from factions in Warhammer 2 but even the vanilla factions in Warhammer 1 had more to them.

I would love to see a warriors of chaos faction that incorporates all of the Chaos Gods. The current one is very Khorne influenced, which looks cool but it would be nice to see all of them have units and flavor to add to your armies.

CA admitted they're trying to change up the Horde style game play with what they did with Nakai - and while that wasn't entirely successful the big Greenskin rework is next on the table. I do think that's going to be the largest update to this point and that's probably going to heavily influence how CA approaches the other Horde factions going forward.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Huge upgrade to those portraits.

Is a Chaos update on the table or is that expected to come with Warhammer 3?
The original plan was for wh3 to be Chaos focused.
IMO it makes sense to update beastmen, norsca and WoC when daemons are launched. If WoC, beastmen and norsca are update din wh2 then they would be updated again for wh3.

That said I think when CA done the lord pack with empire chars opened up the possibility of new content to the these old factions.

Currently we have:
6 lizardmen LL
5 DE
4 HE
5 skaven LL

Assuming the next HE vs GS lord pack; I think we can easely assume there will be another lord pack for clan moulder. How about adding a beastmen vs clan moulder pack?

IF the 2 FLC remaining are 1 HE and 1 DE then the final roster would be:

6 lizardmen
6 DE
6 HE
6 Skaven

which would be perfectly balanced for game 3!

IMO while a lord pack would be ok I think a race pack would be better. I think TEB/dogs of war would be the best candidate.
They would use assets from wh3 that are probably done at this point. They serve as a "demo" of what some races in the next game will play out.

That said after the disaster that was the norsca I think going with an expanded lord pack might be a safer route.

CA admitted they're trying to change up the Horde style game play with what they did with Nakai - and while that wasn't entirely successful the big Greenskin rework is next on the table. I do think that's going to be the largest update to this point and that's probably going to heavily influence how CA approaches the other Horde factions going forward.
IMO the main problems of the horde are:
  1. losing an army is devastating
  2. being always on an deficit makes the gameplay feel rushed
  3. the lack of diplomacy options doesn't allow for some good deals. For example i reinforce this siege for X ammount of money or i will attack certain faction X ammount fo times for 10000.
  4. No safe zone from where you can regroup
  5. Sieges are very costly and heavily slow down early game armies.
  6. You never really snowball so I don't really feel like a threat to other factions.
  7. Ruins made by horde only factions are far too easy to settle While giving very low bonuses to horde only factions.
If CA can adress those I think Horde gameplay would be better.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Ruins made by horde only factions are far too easy to settle While giving very low bonuses to horde only factions.

This always felt like the biggest issue to me. I known not everyone liked how they tried to address it with Nakai but I hope they keep iterating on that. The mod that lets the vassal be a normal faction makes it feel way better in the little I played even if it's not perfect.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
The original plan was for wh3 to be Chaos focused.
IMO it makes sense to update beastmen, norsca and WoC when daemons are launched. If WoC, beastmen and norsca are update din wh2 then they would be updated again for wh3.

IMO while a lord pack would be ok I think a race pack would be better. I think TEB/dogs of war would be the best candidate.
They would use assets from wh3 that are probably done at this point. They serve as a "demo" of what some races in the next game will play out.

I know there was a lot of talk about Dogs of War being in WH2 since we got Tilia/Estalia and the New World on the map - but at this point its clear that CA had other plans.

IMO at this point a Dogs of War expansion seems like good Game 3 DLC contents since 1) you can put ogres in and they're very much about that mercenary life and 2) there's really nothing else for content they could do for game 3 beyond more lord packs. Maybe a Cathay campaign expansion? Dogs of War seems like a good way to fill in the holes throughout the world (Halfing mercenary armies!).