• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I bought part 2 on sale, but wondering if it's worth getting part 1 as well? Is part 2 a much better game that I would feel bad going back to play that and it feeling inferior?
It's worth it, because if you own Total War: Warhammer 1 it actually gets integrated into Warhammer 2 and then expanded upon with new stuff. Same goes for all the DLC for game 1 as well. There definitely is no need to rush buying all things Total Warhammer though. You can play what you have now and if you enjoy it get the other things that look fun.

People here will always give help and advise as well.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I bought part 2 on sale, but wondering if it's worth getting part 1 as well? Is part 2 a much better game that I would feel bad going back to play that and it feeling inferior?
I'd say to try wh2 vortex campaign first before buying game 1. My reasoning is that if you don't like the game for whatever reason that isn't "i want more content/better sandbox gameplay" then buying game 1 won't make you like it.

That said if you know that you like the game. I'd recommend to buy game 1 as soon as possible because it unlocks the mortal empires campaign which is more sandbox experience as most races have a very generic objective of destroy rival faction(s) and conquer the capital settlements of every race. The cool part is that mortal empires brings all of the map of game 1 as well as a LOT of new settlements in it as well as most of game 2 map; this means that you have acess to all the content from game 1 + DLC + game +DLC that you acquire in a single campaign.

One important thing to mention is that you don't need to buy the DLC unless you want to play with that race/units. The AI opponent has acess to all the content. Also if you play co-op you can play with those that have payed for the DLC so you aren't "forced" to buy the DLC.

If you end up buying game 1 there is a "hidden" FLC is total war access, so don't forget to grab it.

If you are wodnering whic races are in each game you can read the OP. I try to keep it update though it really is hard due to the ammount of content the game has.

There is only 2 reasons to play game 1 over game 2 that might interest you. Game 1 has acess to mini -campaigns for WE DLC and beastmen DLC; Game has regional settelemnts -this means that empire can't populate dwarf/GS settlements and vice versa.
Personally these 2 are not worth the "free content" you get in wh2 as well as the bigger variety of enemies you get in ME campaign. Most of the game 1 races have been heavily reworked for game 2 and are much more fun to use.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Alright so I also bought this on sale (1+2) and now I'm looking to dip my toes in. I haven't really played any of the Total War games and I'm wondering how to best approach this.

Should I just start a campaign to fuck around and familiarize myself with everything? It all seems pretty overwhelming just looking at all the mechanics specific to the races and lords. I know the game suggests a difficulty for all the lords but are there specific ones that are especially suited to newcomers? Any general tips that are crucial starting out?

Generally speaking I am partial to the orcs but all of the factions look pretty cool honestly.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Play the Vortex campaign to start, and go with either Tyrion of the High Elves or Mazamundi for the Lizardmen would be my suggestion. They are both extremely strong starting lords who don't start off in the death arena that is Lustria, and their faction / lord mechanics are a lot simpler than others.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Alright so I also bought this on sale (1+2) and now I'm looking to dip my toes in. I haven't really played any of the Total War games and I'm wondering how to best approach this.

Should I just start a campaign to fuck around and familiarize myself with everything? It all seems pretty overwhelming just looking at all the mechanics specific to the races and lords. I know the game suggests a difficulty for all the lords but are there specific ones that are especially suited to newcomers? Any general tips that are crucial starting out?

Generally speaking I am partial to the orcs but all of the factions look pretty cool honestly.

Start a campaign as Tyrion and just kinda screw around seeing what everything does. You have an exceptional lord of a strong faction in a great starting location with a clear early/mid-game objective in unifying Ulthuan.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

Really, play whatever faction interests you most at the default difficulty. Just avoid hard/very hard starts and you should be fine. If you want the most vanilla experience, Altdorf or Lothern are your best bets--the High Elves and Empire have very standard factions of infantry, cavalry, and archers, for the most part. And for campaigns, I'd go Mortal Empires, but the Vortex Campaign is smaller and more focused, which may help you learn stuff faster.

There's too many factions and too many unique mechanics to expect to grapple with it all at once. You may not do well in your first game or two, and that's OK! It's a trial run more than anything.

I think the most important thing is to play a faction you like.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

IMO the easiest starts are Tyrion (high elves) and Kroq-gar (lizardmen) in either vortex or mortal empires (ME). Honorablçe mention to gor-rok (lizardmen). Both of these campaign are easy for 2 reasons: very strong campaign bonuses AND a very strong LL, capable of taking down everyone.

Personally speaking I think Kroq-Gar is the easiest starting positions because the basic lizardmen units are very very strong (and kroq.gar gets a discount on them). A tier 2 saurus army can go toe to toe against armies that are tier 3-4. His starting position at a "corner" of the map allows you to focus on just 1 opponent.
Lizardmen weakness is a slow army with very limited range support. Lizardmen strenght is their HUGE health pools, extremely high leadership and very mobile and/or very high damage dinos. This effectively means that as long as your units turn the battle into a "meat grinder" you will win. So the "best" strategy for lizardmen is to jsut push for a melee fight while you micro manage 2-3 dinos to wreck the enemy key units.
The initial challnge comes from not having enough money to build/recruit units. As long as you can keep the skaven enemies on the defense you will win.

Tyrion is very easy BUT has a few chalanges at the start. HE have a very strong economy because they can manipulate any faction opinion. This means you can get a trade deal with most if not all good factions. Alongside this he starts in ulthuan which is an island that is mostly occupied with HE that generally speaking won't pick a fight with you. Your only problem at the start is Noctilus the vampire coast faction that occupies an island near ulthuan. While vampire coast armies are not good counters against the HE, noctilos enjoys sacking/rainding ulthuan. This means that if you don't take him out/force a peace/NAP then he will harrass and conquer any settlement without walls. Once you get over this initial challenge tyrion has the best starting position. He has a very rich and powerful home province that with lots of trade agreements gives him almost unlimited money. Alongside this by being in an island surrounded by friends he can carefully pick whom to attack first.

All that said I think that if you are used to strategy games you can just pick the faction that you rare the most interested in and start the game in easy/very easy dificulty. To my knowledge the only thing difficulty does is buffs/penalties. Once you have a grasp of the base mechanics increase to normal. My advice is to only go above normal if it is too easy for you because at the higher dificulties the AI is very keen on attacking the player.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks y'all, I really appreciate it. I wouldn't say I'm particularly experienced when it comes to strategy games, I've played some Civilization and a lot of Dawn of War back in the day (that game was the shit) and that's about it. Think I'm going to give Tyrion a try and see how horribly I can fuck that up. If any burning questions present themselves I'll just pop back in. Speaking of which, one thing I was wondering is which buildings to prioritize. I assume growth and economy over military to begin with?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Speaking of which, one thing I was wondering is which buildings to prioritize. I assume growth and economy over military to begin with?

Yeah that's usually a good call. Tyrion is strong enough just by himself early on and HE archers are so good that you can live with basic units for quite awhile while you get your economy rolling. Just try to keep your starting unit of cav alive so you have some kind of hammer against early spear-on-spear grinds or mowing through unprotected archers.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Thanks y'all, I really appreciate it. I wouldn't say I'm particularly experienced when it comes to strategy games, I've played some Civilization and a lot of Dawn of War back in the day (that game was the shit) and that's about it. Think I'm going to give Tyrion a try and see how horribly I can fuck that up. If any burning questions present themselves I'll just pop back in. Speaking of which, one thing I was wondering is which buildings to prioritize. I assume growth and economy over military to begin with?
Most settlements the optimal build order is growth -> main building tier 2-> garisson tier 2-> main building tier 3 -> garison tier 3 (adds walls) -> economy bulding tier 1 -> economy building tier 2-> economy building tier 3 -> demo growth building -> build special resource/another building.

That said i'd have 1 province that is full of military buildings so that you can recruit the units you want/ need.

The reason i use the order above is that by having walls in each settlement it makes your territory capable of damaging and delay any Ai incursions. when facing walled settlements the AI has 2 options:
  1. Attack without siege engines (towers/rams) and thus take quite a bit of losses. This will force them to take 1-4 turns to replenish their army before attacking again
  2. take 2-6 turns to build those siege engines. While this minimizes losses it makes them waste considerably more time.
This effectively allows you to have more freedom with how you move your armies.

Feb 12, 2019
What's the most fun Dark Elf legendary lord to start with? Leaning towards Crone Hellebrone, but Malus also could be tempting.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Malekith is arguably the strongest LL in campaign so that can be fun. I just don't like where he starts.

Lohkir is a really strong fighting lord and can quickly throw his hat into the Lustriabowl. With how much better Blarks are now I bet he can have a really fun campaign.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
What's the most fun Dark Elf legendary lord to start with? Leaning towards Crone Hellebrone, but Malus also could be tempting.
Personally malekith and helebron are my favourites.
Malekith starting position makes for a really sandbox experience once you secure your home province. Him being a melee caster hybrid is a lot of fun. him having a dragon mount gives him some insane versatility. He is strong in melee, has magic and a powerful beatiful dragon. Having no real objective allows you to chose where to focus, you aren't railroaded against any faction.
Helebron death night is very cool and her bonus to the sisters is a very different approach to the army composition. My main issue is that due to the penalty of the lack of the death nights you are kinda railroaded to fighting\conf morathi and Arielle. IMO helebron is also one of the few melee "monsters" LL she literally deletes lords and heros in less then 1 min. I'd only put 2 or 3 LL above her in terms of melee "kill ability"
Imo morathi, malus and lokir while cool chars have a very slow\hard start. You will spend dozens of not 50 plus turns trying to get a home province that is stable. Lokir for example has an incredibly brutal start due to the sharing of his home province with Skrill. Also lustria is really hard to non lizardmen factions.

That said I think whom you will find the most fun will depend on what type of gameplay you are looking for:
  • malekith - vanilla faction
  • morathi - slow growth but more defensible due to chaos corruption
  • Lokir - lustria madness as well as focus in black arks (which are really nice now) and corsairs
  • Helebron - Focus on isters as well as a fight with arielle and morathi
  • Malus - managing between being crazy powerful in battle but several maluses in the campaign or ok in battle but good campaign bonuses.

Feb 12, 2019
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll mess around with a few of them and see who's starting situation I want to deal with first.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
After taking a long detour, killing some vampires, annihilating Averland, and confederating with Karak Kadrin, I finally conquered Karak Eight Peak with Belegar. Not sure whether it's worth it or not lol

I'm still sad about the loss of my 3 rangers. They're stupidly good with 67 range damage. Oh well, I'm gonna replace them with Bugman's Rangers.

Before continuing my Angrund campaign, I decided to try the lizard boys with Itza and holy crap, Lord Kroak is so good! His spells obliterate the ratmen. And I'm surprised that the Saurus units are almost as slow as dwarves.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017

i spent 500+ hours bouncing from faction to faction before I "finished" a campaign. There's really no wrong way to do it, though if you have never played a TW game before, it might be worth watching PartyElite's starting videos (they are very short but will probably help a ton)

www.youtube.com

Total War: Warhammer - Beginner's Guide 01: Rock Paper Scissors

Support me on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/PartyEliteThis episode of my Total War: Warhammer - Beginner's Guide covers the "Rock Paper Scissors" style m...

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Howdy fellers, total newbie to the series.

I'm playing Rapense's faction, how do i recruit lords with no upkeep? I heard that's an advantage her country has but I might be misremembering things lol

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Howdy fellers, total newbie to the series.

I'm playing Rapense's faction, how do i recruit lords with no upkeep? I heard that's an advantage her country has but I might be misremembering things lol

I think you might have misinterpreted it. Bretonnian lords still have upkeep for the actual lord, it's just that they don't have the same additional upkeep penalties per Lord that every other faction does. Everyone else pays (I think?) 5% additional upkeep on all of their units per Lord on the map.

Upkeep for the lords isn't too much in the grand scheme of things so you can easily have 2-3 more following you around in the early game reinforcing your armies.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I think you might have misinterpreted it. Bretonnian lords still have upkeep for the actual lord, it's just that they don't have the same additional upkeep penalties per Lord that every other faction does. Everyone else pays (I think?) 5% additional upkeep on all of their units per Lord on the map.

OoOoOo I see.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
After taking a long detour, killing some vampires, annihilating Averland, and confederating with Karak Kadrin, I finally conquered Karak Eight Peak with Belegar. Not sure whether it's worth it or not lol

I'm still sad about the loss of my 3 rangers. They're stupidly good with 67 range damage. Oh well, I'm gonna replace them with Bugman's Rangers.

Before continuing my Angrund campaign, I decided to try the lizard boys with Itza and holy crap, Lord Kroak is so good! His spells obliterate the ratmen. And I'm surprised that the Saurus units are almost as slow as dwarves.

Being slow, lack of ranged firepower and being (relatively) expensive are the only disadvantages of the lizardmen. Imo they are one of the strongest races.

OoOoOo I see.

What are some of the penalties involved with the other factions?
Other landed factions get a % of upkeep increase for all armies per lord you recruit. This means that the more armies you have the more expensive your armies become.
It's the way CA has found to stop how quickly player faction spiral out of control. By limiting the amount of armies you can field it forces you to not engage everyone instead you need to pick your fights more carefully
The % increase changes with the difficulty.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm only 12 hours in, but this would be my GOTY if it wasn't released 2 years ago lmao

Can't believe I been missing out. Last game to hook me like this was They are Billion and War of the Chosen.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
I'm only 12 hours in, but this would be my GOTY if it wasn't released 2 years ago lmao

Can't believe I been missing out. Last game to hook me like this was They are Billion and War of the Chosen.

Yeah, its an amazing experience theyve made. The fact that theres some 40+ characters you can pick from with alot of them having unique mechanics, some even amongst their own factions, is a tremendous feat.

I have around 400 hours and I dont see myself stopping or getting bored. The amount of situations Ive been in that I can say I havent had before is great. Just the other day where Im playing Repanse sieging the Black Pyramid, and it was something like 3k on my side vs. 4k for the Tomb Kings. I lost the first fight, pulled back with about 1000 troops, Tomb Kings chased me with 2k. Lost about 850 of my remaining troops and had to retreat, and tomb Kings chased me again where it was 156 on my side vs. 900 tomb kings. Using Life magic to heal my lords before the undead hordes arrived to me, I managed to wound their lords and then watch their armies crumble. It was such a hail mary moment and its stuff like that, that keeps me coming back.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, its an amazing experience theyve made. The fact that theres some 40+ characters you can pick from with alot of them having unique mechanics, some even amongst their own factions, is a tremendous feat.

I have around 400 hours and I dont see myself stopping or getting bored. The amount of situations Ive been in that I can say I havent had before is great. Just the other day where Im playing Repanse sieging the Black Pyramid, and it was something like 3k on my side vs. 4k for the Tomb Kings. I lost the first fight, pulled back with about 1000 troops, Tomb Kings chased me with 2k. Lost about 850 of my remaining troops and had to retreat, and tomb Kings chased me again where it was 156 on my side vs. 900 tomb kings. Using Life magic to heal my lords before the undead hordes arrived to me, I managed to wound their lords and then watch their armies crumble. It was such a hail mary moment and its stuff like that, that keeps me coming back.
There's sooooo much to digest in this game and there's a ton of stuff the game doesn't tell me aha

Each faction is so lively with personality, I want to play them all lol

I love how after I finished my first war with the vampire counts, more threats come and I have to figure out whether I need to team up with my neighbors to take down an incoming threat. This game is so badass, feels like there's a level of endgame looming.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
There's sooooo much to digest in this game and there's a ton of stuff the game doesn't tell me aha

Each faction is so lively with personality, I want to play them all lol

Yeah, even 400 hours in I learn things that I didnt know before.

And yeah personality is a huge part of it. To the point where its easy to fall into "role playing" who you are.

Which btw if you havent already, definitely get the 1st game to unlock Mortal Empires, and definitely play Durthu. Having-what is essentially Treebeard from Lord of the Rings,- Durthu, a giant Tree wielding an Amber Sword smash through infantry is never not satisfying.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, even 400 hours in I learn things that I didnt know before.

And yeah personality is a huge part of it. To the point where its easy to fall into "role playing" who you are.

Which btw if you havent already, definitely get the 1st game to unlock Mortal Empires, and definitely play Durthu. Having-what is essentially Treebeard from Lord of the Rings,- Durthu, a giant Tree wielding an Amber Sword smash through infantry is never not satisfying.
I'll check it out!

I love how after I finished my first war with the vampire counts, more threats come and I have to figure out whether I need to turn to my neighbors to take down an incoming threat. This game is so badass, feels like there's a level of endgame always looming.

I turned my attention to the tomb kings as my 2nd target and I severely underestimated their strength and took some major losses with Rapense.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
I'll check it out!

I love how after I finished my first war with the vampire counts, more threats come and I have to figure out whether I need to turn to my neighbors to take down an incoming threat. This game is so badass, feels like there's a level of endgame always looming.

I turned my attention to the tomb kings as my 2nd target and I severely underestimated their strength and took some major losses with Rapense.

Yeah Tomb Kings have a sting if you let them fester. Even though they tend to have just the basic archers and infantry, the amount of how many they can have is insane. And their Lords make up the difference more than not

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
yes it's very good. You only need to buy it if you want to play as that specific faction. They are separated into Lord and Race packs, where the Lord packs give you one lord for two races as well as a handful of unique units and Regiments of Renown for that race. Race packs unlock the entire race, so if you are only interested in playing High Elves or Empire, you're better off buying the Lord Packs related to them, since you'll get more Legendary Lords to choose from, as well as unlocking units and Regiments of Renown for the entire race.

There have been a number of free updates and free Lords they've released that you can check out for free that add a good amount of content to the base game without any DLC.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
I really like Tomb Kings. No upkeep, fun monstrous units, a cool set of objectives that increases your power, a very good faction imo

Vampire Coast is excellent too!

Feb 12, 2019
In addition to allowing me the use of the word "Vampirates" the Vampire Coast was a lot of fun for me as a new player because their entire game plan is holding up the enemy frontline long enough to blast it to pieces with your spells, artillery, and big fat line of zombie gunners. I haven't checked out Tomb Kings yet, but if my attempts with the Druchii get me nowhere then the mummies are probably the ones I'd check out next.

Really, the only factions I'd warn new players away from are the Warriors of Chaos and Beastmen, both of whom are from the first game anyway. Horde factions are an interesting idea (which I think originated in Atilla?) that are also incredibly boring to play. If you want a similar-feeling faction to Chaos (Big line of scary-ass infantry and a bunch of big, scary monsters, but limited ranged options) then Norsca is like that but fun.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Lokhir is tough. I rely too much on the Black Arks and they have a lot of limitations.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
So if I buy Total Warhammer 1, the factions get transferred to 2 with Mortal Empires?

You can't play Mortal Enpires without TW1. And yes, every faction you own in TW1 transfers into Mortal Empires, including DLC.

The race reworks for Empire and Vampire counts only work in Mortal Empires mode, so actually you get the best experience of those races playing in TW2 ironically. Orca and Wood Elves are theoretically next up for a revamp...

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
You can't play Mortal Enpires without TW1. And yes, every faction you own in TW1 transfers into Mortal Empires, including DLC.

The race reworks for Empire and Vampire counts only work in Mortal Empires mode, so actually you get the best experience of those races playing in TW2 ironically. Orca and Wood Elves are theoretically next up for a revamp...
Yeah, though you need game 1 to access Mortal Empires in game 2 at all. In Mortal Empires, you can play any faction you own in either game.
After buying it, do I have to download TW1? Or will I immediately see em in 2?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
After buying it, do I have to download TW1? Or will I immediately see em in 2?
No, Mortal Empires is a DLC add-on for game 2. You can have TWWH1 fully uninstalled and it will work fine--the game reads from your Steam licenses or something to figure things out.

Edit: Only bummer is that you still need to download the free DLCs manually, for both games.
Edit2: And I think some regiments of renown are tied to a Total War account, but it's been a while so maybe it changed.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA