• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MidiPour

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I lost my father to bowel cancer which metastasised all over his body because of late diagnosis. He died aged 69 six years ago on November the 5th. Cancer will touch most people in some way due to it's prevalence in our society, and whatever your feelings about TB it's great that he's talking about it and helping to spread awareness. Early diagnosis is critical for a good chance at long term survival.

I similarly lost my father to stage 4 gastric cancer last month at the age of 68. He showed some early symptoms, but he mentioned to me earlier before his diagnosis that the doctor gave him an early diagnosis of Crohn's disease, which as TB touched on, usually we as a society give the benefit that it's probably the less severe diagnosis before going on do CT scans or whatever else.

It's disturbing how aggressive the metastasis was for him, as he didn't last more than 18 days after his diagnosis. It's frustrating because my family had already lost an uncle 2 months ago to testicular, and my grandfather to lung cancer a little over 2 years ago. At this point, I wholeheartedly believe we as a society need to push for cancer awareness, to make sure we and our loved ones get checked on a regular basis, and to not be ashamed that we're going to the doctor because of 'simply an upset stomach' or whatever else impedes us from getting the immediate treatment we need.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
You know how sometimes you see a dog's ears perk up when someone is blowing a whistle but you can't hear the actual sound

I'm reminded of that right now

Is Jim Sterling dog whistling to gamergate when he discloses and criticizes unethical practices in games journalism ? The idea that there should be an arm's length between journalists and publishers is something everybody can agree with.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give it a listen later. I honestly didn't want to because it's h3h3 but that clip actually looks useful.

He's actually good interviewer when he's not being an idiot. This is a great interview regardless of people's past history. It's good to talk openly about cancer.

I definitely understand people's criticism of both of them. Cancer doesn't excuse all the bad things. But I also think when someone is suffering a major disease that needs more understanding, it's worth listening to.

Cancer doesn't discriminate. I always hope that there is a way for people to come together with stuff like this, and for those with a bad history, to become better people.

Last edited:

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Man this is super scary. Knowing you have little time left, and almost no chance of surviving. This guy's resilience is amazing.

Discharger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad he is sharing this information to help others in similar situations, and wish him all the best with beating it for good. Any past transgressions can absolutely be discussed, but I don't think this thread is the best venue. This is some helpful information, and I'm glad he is taking the time to spread awareness.

That mental attitude to keep fighting applies to so many other areas, and he is providing a great example of applying it in the face of an awful prognosis.

Deleted member 6733

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for linking this. Inspirational stuff.
The no bullshit stuff nobody else tells you about suffering with cancer.

Cancer scares the shit out of me. I've lost too many people to mention but most recently a friend of the family and before that my mother in law. Fuck cancer.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Brit with a grit. No one should ever suffer from something so dreadful as cancer. Here's to him continually fighting and keeping cancer at bay and get cured of it!

m o n s t e r

Oct 25, 2017
under your bed
I'm going to be honest this made me tear up when it was posted.
As a cancer survivor, it hit home. I was pretty young when I was diagnosed, but I know that chemo is something that really messes with you. It's kind of an every day battle, even if you're lucky enough to survive. Chemo and radiation really take their toll and late-term effects from them can be incredibly unforgiving.
Glad to see him going beyond his prognosis and doing his best. I hope he makes it in the long term, but I have known plenty of people over the years who haven't been so fortunate. Best of luck to him.

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
Cancer sucks and I hope he recovers. That being said, he said ResetEra is "full of rats" on the latest Cooptional Podcast, so I see he's still the idiot he's always been.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
This vid makes me realize I have done a disservice to others by not speaking up. I don't have cancer, but I dodged a bullet.

About 5 years ago or so I regonized intermittent poop problems. Actually a whole assortment of them. Only a year ago I got it all checked out. Endoscopy, colonoscopy, even small intestine checked. I wasn't embarassed, but I was terrified of learning the truth. I avoided telling my doctor because I was afraid of what I would do if I did have cancer.

I don't have cancer, but they did find a high risk pre cancerous growth that they removed. I have little doubt that it would have formed cancer before getting a check at 50 had I not done the right thing and gone through all the steps necessary.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
But everybody supports ethics in games journalism.

Nobody wants bribed journalists and favoritism.
Where are the multitude of bribed journalists and favoritism? If anything, Youtubers are more sketchy and bribe-friendly, not game critics at major outlets with their own ethical standards as policy.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
This vid makes me realize I have done a disservice to others by not speaking up. I don't have cancer, but I dodged a bullet.

About 5 years ago or so I regonized intermittent poop problems. Actually a whole assortment of them. Only a year ago I got it all checked out. Endoscopy, colonoscopy, even small intestine checked. I wasn't embarassed, but I was terrified of learning the truth. I avoided telling my doctor because I was afraid of what I would do if I did have cancer.

I don't have cancer, but they did find a high risk pre cancerous growth that they removed. I have little doubt that it would have formed cancer before getting a check at 50 had I not done the right thing and gone through all the steps necessary.

Whoa. How old are you? I think I have the same issue but I don't have the money to get checked for it. I wanna make sure if I do it's worth it.

adel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck for him.
He's a big PC fan boy and that's why I stopped watching his videos.

Mattiator

Oct 25, 2017
I lost my father last November 7th to colon cancer that spread to his lungs, liver, brain. He was only 57 and he may have survived it if he had gone to see a doctor, he was bleeding for almost a year before he went due to embarrassment and fear I am guessing. I went and got my first colonoscopy this year, I am 32, and everything looked alright with me so far; however, I will continue to go get checked out every few years.
Never feel embarrassed or scared, if you feel something is wrong make sure to get yourself checked out.

Talal

Unbreakable
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wish this on your worst enemy.
I'm fighting stage 3 lymphoma cancer right now, barely surviving treatment side effects and costs.
Knowing how hard it is I wish him a speedy recovery, one should always hope for the best.