• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Touhou 19 is really good. Only played the first 3 stories so far, but the gameplay & spellcards have been a good time, and the story mode win condition no longer being based on AI RNG is a great change.
No idea how to use the third character, had to use 3 continues to clear her story.
Sanae's delayed aura is annoying, and her homing shots when focused means she does very little boss damage, whew.

Also I'm pretty sure I unlocked the "No Continues" achievement despite using continues in every story lol.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
July / August 2023 News Roundup

Official News

View: https://twitter.com/Aurora_Artz/status/1691064472104742914

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wfgCcdHzfE
  • This year's popularity poll is happening this month (September). The voting period is from the 16/17th to the 30th (I'll bump the thread when voting starts). I'm gonna take an early guess and say Hisami will be the most popular Touhou 19 character. I've seen way more fanart for her than the other characters.

Fan News

• Some recent fan game releases:
Touhou New World (from the developers of Scarlet Curiosity)

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2150660/Touhou_New_World/

Little Doll Queen (Danmakufu script) (Free)

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2525120/__Little_Doll_Queen/

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Cleared all the Touhou 19 stories, great game. Like PoFV, the characters' unique shot types and charge abilities make it so different strategies are required to clear each stage. The ability cards buffing your character is a cool feature that helps to offset the difficulty of the late-stage spellcards.

After clearing the story, I went for the no-life-loss achievement, thinking it was actually a no-hit achievement (it's actually bugged and not unlockable at all).
Reimu is incredibly OP in her story mode. Her charge level 2 clears bullets and deletes bosses in seconds (often before they even fire a bullet) while costing very little charge.
The no-hit normal run took an hour and a half. Afterwards, jumped straight to Lunatic and immediately pulled off a 1cc by deleting all the bosses lol.

Whoa. Hoping the animation gets publicly released soon.

edit: the "fair and balanced game" post has a video associated with it lol

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlK5OpxpUno

Last edited:

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Played through 17.5 and 19 recently.

Touhou 17.5: Sunken Fossil World

I figured I would like this since I'm really into the fighting games, and yeah, really fun, really challenging game. I liked it a lot. The boss fights do a great job of using the character's abilities, the playable characters all feel surprisingly unique, the art is sick, the remixes are great, and I love Toutetsu. I played it on Switch and am also happy that unlike with AoCF, the official translation actually feels competent here and the writing is pretty funny. Also it brought back Joon and Shion who were already hilarious so it gets big points for that.

The biggest problem I had with it was the lack of a jump button, which really hampered some characters' movement. Some characters can jump instead of dash, which was fine, but then you look at Murasa who can only move quickly and graze by using her anchor to move set distances. She's really fun to play, but without a jump button some boss patterns simply do not work for her. Considering not every button on the controller is even used I don't understand why this isn't a thing. The other complaint I have is more minor but it is weird that Reimu and Flandre don't get more spells for when they show up as stage 5 bosses in the later character routes.

Other than that though, I really enjoyed the game, enough to go for a hard 1cc with Flandre and a greedy challenge clear (on normal, shit's difficult) with Reimu. Comparing it to story modes of the fighting games, it's not my favorite (SWR is king) but it's on par with the next best like Hisoutensoku and AoCF. Great game.
F3OYV1tbUAAG4HG

Touhou 19: Unfinished Dream of All Living Ghost

I'm not super into the vs games so I was mostly here for the story/dialogue, and it was actually pretty solid this time around. The structure of the story is more similar to the better fighting games, making each route a piece of the story revealing more info rather than just a different perspective on the same events. Piecing together what's actually going on with Zanmu here was pretty cool. I don't love Zanmu as a character though because she's kinda..mary sue-ish? She's this ultimate calculating mastermind where no matter what happens, it's all according to keikaku for her, and it happens so often it becomes funny. That being said she serves well as an antagonist since with her working on so many fronts at once it's difficult to get a read on her real intentions.

There's also a lot about Zanmu's powers which seems to be intentionally left vague which I found interesting. All that is explicitly stated is that she has the power to "manipulate nothingness", but that doesn't really mean anything so I can only go off her actions to guess what she actually does with that. The main things I noticed is that pretty much everyone lost their motivation to do anything about the incident after fighting her, which made me think she might have some kind of power to pacify or demotivate people? That would make her using a trap to summon people to her forcefully make more sense, and also line up with her in-game ability to pacify all spirits and fairies on screen at once. The "palm of her hand stuff" was also mentioned so often I wondered if it had to do with an actual ability of hers to have some kind of foresight into peoples actions, which would be enhanced after having met her and made an impression ("leaving a shadow of herself in them") or if it's just a metaphor for how absurdly calculating she is.

On a gameplay level, I liked the change to end fights by defeating boss summons instead of waiting for an arbitrary timer, and that spell cards here are somewhat more traditional than in pofv. Also finally having an in-game manual for one of these games meant I could actually understand all the mechanics going on here which are usually unclear in vs games, which was nice. The character balance is pretty silly though, some like Reimu and Chiyari are crazy OP, but most suck with no bullet clearing and/or poor damage, and a few are just irredeemably bad (what the hell was ZUN thinking with Nazrin???). This also plays into the difficulty in a weird way, with Reimu's story being the easiest lunatic in the series--after someone showed me that her level 2 just insta-nukes bosses I went ahead and tried it myself and got the lunatic 1cc in a few attempts. But try lunatic on a character that isn't stupid OP and fights either Chiyari or Zanmu and it's pure misery.

Overall I enjoyed the game more than I expected, probably my favorite of the 3 vs games, though not by much. New character themes were also good like always.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I submitted my vote.

newprojectlzf9k.jpg

(My votes represented through LostWord)

Characters:
  1. Seiga
  2. Miko
  3. Mamizou
  4. Medicine (new)
  5. Yachie (new)
  6. Nazrin (new)
  7. Aunn (new)
Went with Seiga/Miko/Mamizou as always. I always liked Yachie, Nazrin and Aunn, so their inclusion Touhou 19 felt like a good excuse to vote for the three. Medicine also got to appear in stuff in 2023: Little Doll Queen (where she is a boss AND a playable character) and LostWord (she got an Alternate Universe variant). Was not able to vote Okina again, so I made it up to her by voting her other theme.

Music (All New)
  1. The Primal Scene of Japan The Girl Saw (Touhou 10)
  2. Vanishing Dream ~ Lost Dream (Touhou 3)
  3. At The End of Spring (Touhou 12)
  4. Starry Sky of Small Desires (Touhou 13)
  5. The Concealed Four Seasons (Touhou 16)
  6. Wind God Girl (Touhou 9)
  7. Beast Metropolis (Touhou 17)
  8. Last Occultism ~ Esotericist of the Present World (Touhou 14.5)
  9. Starry Mountain of Tenma (Touhou 18)
  10. Lovely Mound of Cherry Blossoms (Seihou 2)
I completely changed up my musical votes.

I can't believe it took me this long to realize you can vote for Seihou tracks. I only noticed because of Yuuka's Seihou theme (I thought I'd have to go with the Dolls in Pseudo Paradise arrangement). I'm definitely including more Seihou 2 tracks in the next poll. That game has a really neat and underrated soundtrack.

Official Works
  1. Forbidden Scrollery
  2. Wild and Horned Hermit
  3. Lotus Eaters
  4. Ten Desires
  5. Urban Legend in Limbo
I just copy-pasted this from last poll.

As a reminder, the poll is up until the end of the month. If you're having trouble trying to vote, besides the voting guide in my previous post, you can also try using Google Chrome. The browser has a "translate page" option which, isn't perfect, but still helps a lot IMO.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Posting this here as well, the CAVE developed Touhou gacha (Touhou Gensou Eclipse) is now released in Japan.

Gameplay wise it's a mix of stat raising games like Uma Musume or Shiny Colors and a shmup. In arcade/training mode, you play through 3-5 shmup stages, and buy upgrades after every stage with the currency that's based on your score. After the run, you get a copy of the character with all of the upgrades that you purchased, which you can then use to play through various challenge modes or farming stages.

Production values are pretty high, with all characters voiced, and there's a decent amount of content for a game that just launched. The character designs are also pretty neat (the official website has all of them). I'm particularly a fan of Cirno.

Sadly JP only for now, and given that CAVE's other gacha games never made it to the West, I'm not optimistic about the chances for a localization.

Rerolling is pretty easy (there's a button to reset your account in the menu which will also automatically skip the tutorial. You get I think 3 10-pulls from the tutorial and the preregistration rewards)

play.google.com

東方幻想エクリプス - Apps on Google Play

Touhou Project official fan creation game. Introducing a dramatic shooting game where you can experience the story with Reimu Hakurei and other charming Gensokyo characters!
apps.apple.com

‎東方幻想エクリプス

‎■あらすじ 忘れられた存在が集う楽園、幻想郷。 人間と妖怪が共生する平和な地に――突如"それら"は現れた。 これまでになかった新たな存在により、混乱を極めていく幻想郷。 そこに生きる"彼女たち"は、それぞれの思いを抱き、動き出す。 幻想を蝕む大異変が始まる――。 ※東方幻想エクリプスは上海アリス幻樂団の『東方Project』を原作とした公認二次創作ゲームです。 ■ゲーム紹介 「上海アリス幻樂団」原作の大人気ファンタジー東方Projectの世界観を題材に、『怒首領蜂』シリーズや『虫姫さま』『デススマイルズ』『ゴシックは魔法乙女』など数々のシューティングゲームを制作…

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
Posting this here as well, the CAVE developed Touhou gacha (Touhou Gensou Eclipse) is now released in Japan.

Gameplay wise it's a mix of stat raising games like Uma Musume or Shiny Colors and a shmup. In arcade/training mode, you play through 3-5 shmup stages, and buy upgrades after every stage with the currency that's based on your score. After the run, you get a copy of the character with all of the upgrades that you purchased, which you can then use to play through various challenge modes or farming stages.

Production values are pretty high, with all characters voiced, and there's a decent amount of content for a game that just launched. The character designs are also pretty neat (the official website has all of them). I'm particularly a fan of Cirno.

Sadly JP only for now, and given that CAVE's other gacha games never made it to the West, I'm not optimistic about the chances for a localization.

Rerolling is pretty easy (there's a button to reset your account in the menu which will also automatically skip the tutorial. You get I think 3 10-pulls from the tutorial and the preregistration rewards)

play.google.com

東方幻想エクリプス - Apps on Google Play

Touhou Project official fan creation game. Introducing a dramatic shooting game where you can experience the story with Reimu Hakurei and other charming Gensokyo characters!
apps.apple.com

‎東方幻想エクリプス

‎■あらすじ 忘れられた存在が集う楽園、幻想郷。 人間と妖怪が共生する平和な地に――突如"それら"は現れた。 これまでになかった新たな存在により、混乱を極めていく幻想郷。 そこに生きる"彼女たち"は、それぞれの思いを抱き、動き出す。 幻想を蝕む大異変が始まる――。 ※東方幻想エクリプスは上海アリス幻樂団の『東方Project』を原作とした公認二次創作ゲームです。 ■ゲーム紹介 「上海アリス幻樂団」原作の大人気ファンタジー東方Projectの世界観を題材に、『怒首領蜂』シリーズや『虫姫さま』『デススマイルズ』『ゴシックは魔法乙女』など数々のシューティングゲームを制作…

Damn this looks fantastic. I love Tewi's drip.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Quick bump because R-Note has made one of their Touhou M-1 Grand Prix videos free for a limited time, again:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJylnMh8Kc8

It'll be up until 2024. Also, make sure to turn on the English subs.

I can't play this without an English translation, but I do like Yuugi and Suika's designs

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
R-Note's "free for a while" promotion is continuing with another Touhou M-1 Grand Prix video. The Christmas video was for the 16th GP while this New Year's video is for the 18th GP. There is no entry on the Touhou Wiki yet, so I assume this GP is very new. It's only going to be up until January 4/5 (depending on your timezone).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6p68uk9aOo

Late 2023 / Early 2024 Fan Game News:

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1229890/Koumajou_Remilia__Strangers_Requiem/
Touhouvania 2 released on Steam in December 2023

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2248430/Touhou_Artificial_Dream_in_Arcadia/
Touhou Artificial Dream in Arcadia, an SMT inspired DRPG which released back in September, now has its own OT.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsfZEHj5ihc
Touhou Danmaku Kagura: Phantasia Lost should be releasing on February 8 2024:

Touhou-Luna-Nights_Physical-Japan_09-10-23_001.jpg

Also, Touhou Luna Nights will apparently be coming to PS4/PS5 on January 25.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
feverishly clawing the ground and foaming at the mouth for phantasia lost

also happy new year evilisk thank you for keeping the touhou thread updated!

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
Danmaku Kagura Phantasia Lost is out today, in like a half hour or something

streams of the soundtrack and probably gameplay/dev talk are on their youtube channel currently

www.youtube.com

発売直前!収録楽曲全部聴く放送【東方ダンマクカグラ ファンタジア・ロスト】

Steam版『東方ダンマクカグラ ファンタジア・ロスト』いよいよ2/8発売!本編とDLC第1弾に収録されるすべての楽曲を聴きながら、発売のタイミングまで一緒に盛り上がってまいりましょう~~東方ダンマクカグラ ファンタジア・ロストSteamストアページhttps://store.steampowered.com/a...

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa. Hoping the animation gets publicly released soon.

It's on their YT channel now:

View: https://twitter.com/tauminust/status/1769659761564475693

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrmuxEk3l48

Danmaku Kagura Phantasia Lost is out today, in like a half hour or something

streams of the soundtrack and probably gameplay/dev talk are on their youtube channel currently

www.youtube.com

発売直前!収録楽曲全部聴く放送【東方ダンマクカグラ ファンタジア・ロスト】

Steam版『東方ダンマクカグラ ファンタジア・ロスト』いよいよ2/8発売!本編とDLC第1弾に収録されるすべての楽曲を聴きながら、発売のタイミングまで一緒に盛り上がってまいりましょう~~東方ダンマクカグラ ファンタジア・ロストSteamストアページhttps://store.steampowered.com/a...

The Switch version for Phantasia Lost will be coming out in September:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_33MtzmXq8s

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
phantasia lost has been relatively well supported with gameplay and qol updates, i know some people dont like the dlc pricing but ive already paid a lot on camp-fire so i cant really judge that without bias

a new dlc pack came out a week or so ago featuring songs like tiny little adiantum and marisa stole the precious thing, along with some akatsuki records tracks and such

i have still been enjoying the game a lot even if moving into lunatic difficulty has been going slowly for me

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing Artificial Dream in Arcadia and damn, it nails the assignment. From the spritework to the music to the nonstop random encounters, it's pretty much a SNES-era MegaTen but with 2hus. The major exception is instead of demon negotiation you have bite-sized danmaku segments that can have either easy or hard patterns depending on whether you've weakened the enemy past half-health first. And honestly, those have been so enjoyable it's making me wanna play more of the mainline games. Only one I've touched is Wily Beast.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Well if you found any characters you like from ADiA, you could use them as a starting point to try out whatever game they're from.

For some reason I assumed Sumireko was an original character until I looked it up yesterday lol

Also for some reason Steam keeps hiding the official Touhou Project games from my search results. Says it's "based on my preferences" but I don't seem to have anything that would be blocking them. Maybe because they're Japanese-language only?

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I assumed Sumireko was an original character until I looked it up yesterday lol

Also for some reason Steam keeps hiding the official Touhou Project games from my search results. Says it's "based on my preferences" but I don't seem to have anything that would be blocking them. Maybe because they're Japanese-language only?

If you're having trouble finding the games on Steam the wiki has direct links to all the steam pages for each game here: https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Purchasing_Guide

Sumireko is an official character but she only shows up in spin-offs, namely Urban Legend in Limbo (fighting game, not on Steam), Antinomy of Common Flowers (fighting game), and Violet Detector (bullet hell but with some weird gimmicks and is considered by many to be one of the worst official games lol).

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
The funniest thing about HRtP is that a few years ago there was an effort to decompile the PC-98 games (mostly to make better english patches), and in the decompilation of this game it came to light that over half of the programmed mechanics either didn't actually work or they are never used at all.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I still find it cool that Reimu in the Touhou fighting games has iconic moves clearly based on HRtP - both the sliding kick and the backflip.