• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
I just played the HSiFS Demo and tried it with the language patcher -> Instant buy.
Completely different graphical style compared to Azure reflections but soooo good.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I just played the HSiFS Demo and tried it with the language patcher -> Instant buy.
Completely different graphical style compared to Azure reflections but soooo good.
Nice.
HSiFS is a pretty good starting point for official Touhou games. The in-game instruction manual is useful, the mechanics are streamlined compared to other recent Touhou games, and the season subshots are a lot of fun.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone familiar with the Disappearing of Gensokyo game (on Steam)? I'm considering putting it into the OT but haven't played it myself (the plan is to do a Steam section, a Play Doujin section and then a general / catch all section for other titles).

Also on the topic of fan games, Shooting Game Weekly had a recent video covering Fantastic Danmaku Festival (I assume they covered this game because of the recent Steam release, rather than this being a coincidental video)

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
This thread changed my gaming habits a LOT :D
Only game I played the last 9 days that was not Touhou based was the BFV Beta.

Other than that I swapped around between 6, 16 and Azure Reflections.
Still not sure about getting Violet Detector, it's interesting but the reviews are very mixed so far.

Currently trying to find a better quality version of "Memories of Phantasm" sadly the only HD Version I found had Spanish subtitles.

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry for the double post but I think that is ok in that case.
I made the posting for a Touhou forum and thought it is also fitting in here:

Touhou danmaku retail games 06 - 16.5 on Windows 10

As I just started getting into the Touhou games and my order from j-list arrived this week I started to install them last night and encountered some issues.
HSiFS was my entry into the series and I decided to buy at least all of the danmaku games.
Sadly I forgot to order 9.5 and 12.8 so I can't cover them yet :(

This posting is meant to show if the game runs on Windows 10 and if there are any issues to be aware of.
To check for issues I played at least until the first boss.
I also included links to the latest patches so you don't need to search for them.

Important: Before you start, set your locale to Japan. Do not skip this as patching or running most of the older games will fail.
This can be done like this:
Start -> "Change your country or region" -> Click "Administrative language settings" on the right side -> "Change system locale" -> Select "Japanese (Japan)" -> OK -> Reboot (do not skip on this!)

As pointed out by shockdude you can also try using http://pooi.moe/Locale-Emulator/

Ok, now you have set the locale correctly and we can start with the games in the release order:

Touhou 6 Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
Latest patch: 1.02h
Link for patch: http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/data/soft/kouma_update102h.EXE
This patch is for the latest retail CD.

If you have an older CD you might need 1.02f first: http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/data/soft/kouma_update102f.EXE

To patch you copy the .exe file into the game directory and start it - the patch will run automatically.

Issues:
Game is running way to fast.
Solution:
Download the DX8 to DX9 converter http://enbdev.com/convertor_dx8_dx9_v0036.htm and copy the DLL and the ini file in the game directory.

Touhou 7 Perfect Cherry Blossom
Latest patch: 1.00b
Link for patch: http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/data/soft/youmu_update100b.lzh (unpack with 7zip or something similar)

To patch you copy the .exe file into the game directory and start it - the patch will run automatically.

Issues: None

Touhou 8 Imperishable Night
Link for patch: http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/data/soft/eiya_update100b_100d.lzh (unpack with 7zip or something similar)
If you have an older CD you might need different patches:
1.00 -> 1.00a : http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/data/soft/eiya_update100a.lzh (unpack with 7zip or something similar)
1.00a -> 1.00d : http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/data/soft/eiya_update100a_100d.lzh (unpack with 7zip or something similar)

Issues:
Stutter sometimes even if the frame rate is 60fps.
Solution:
Download the DX8 to DX9 converter http://enbdev.com/convertor_dx8_dx9_v0036.htm and copy the DLL and the ini file in the game directory. (thanks to shockdude)

Touhou 9 Phantasmagoria of Flower View
Latest patch: 1.50a (Beta)
Link for patch: http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/data/soft/th09_ver150a.lzh (unpack with 7zip or something similar)

Issues:
Menu is moving by itself.
Solution:
Caused by the 2 player setting - to fix it run custom.exe
In the section with 1P select the bottom left entry (Keyboard)
In the section with 2p select the top left entry (Gamepad)
If you are not playing with a keyboard you might have to try different combinations.

For this one i will also try to make an autohotkey script for autofire - this might take a while because I'm lazy.

Touhou 10 Mountain of Faith
Latest patch: None, my CD was already 1.00a and i could not find anything newer

Touhou 11 Subterranean Animism

Touhou 12 Undefined Fantastic Object
Link for patch: http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/data/soft/th12_update100b.exe

To patch you run the exe file, click yes and select your game directory.
The patcher will do the rest automatically and you click on the button to close.

Touhou 12.5 Double Spoiler

Touhou 13 Ten Desires
Latest patch: 1.00c
Link to patch: http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/data/soft/th13_ver100c_update.exe

The patcher will do the rest automatically and you click on the button to close.

Touhou 14 Double Dealing Character
Link to patch: http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/data/soft/th14_update100b.exe

Touhou 14.3 Impossible Spell Card

Touhou 15 Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom
Link to patch: http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/data/soft/th15_update100b.exe

Thouhou 16 and 16.5 are available on steam, so I bought them there.
As expected with the newer games both run without issues on Windows 10.

General:
If you want to have the games translated you can use the wonderful Touhou Community Reliant Automatic Patcher.
The patcher is pretty self explanatory and you can get it here: https://www.thpatch.net/wiki/Touhou_Patch_Center:Download

Please let me know if you found any mistakes or have suggestions.

Last edited:

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the double post but I think that is ok in that case.
I made the posting for a Touhou forum and thought it is also fitting in here:

Please let me know if you found any mistakes or have suggestions.
Nice, good to have a reference to all the patches.
You can usually get away with not changing your system locale by using Locale Emulator. I've had good experience using it with Touhou game patches before.
The DX8 to DX9 converter works for everything from Touhou 6 through 9.5, and I highly recommend using it for all those games. It might fix the stuttering in Touhou 8 for you.
Also, imo the VSync Patches are essential for reducing input lag, especially in Touhou 6 and 7.

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
Ahhhh:D that totally fixed the issue, thank you very much - will change the post.
Did not think about using the converter somehow.

I will also give the vsync patches a try.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
So I somehow missed that Demetori released a new album at Comiket several weeks ago.
Listening to it now, this is good stuff already.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like there was recently a short preview comic about a new official book. The comic goes into the plot (Reimu's holding a danmaku festival), the premise (seems like it might be like Grimoire of Marisa, but including other characters) and seems to vaguely hint at something else (sounds like maybe a potential incident, but no details).

Also gonna mention that Shooting Game Weekly did a recent video covering Ten Desires

Also also just wanted to mention that I've been noticing a ton of games crop up on Steam while working on the OT. Like I've been going to Steam every other day to find info / pictures, and it seems there's like more and more games (there's a quiz game, a few visual novel esque RPG maker titles etc.)

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
That's great to hear, especially the part about other Circles releasing their music.

I'm slightly bummed that it's only for ZUN's existing albums though. I really want proper releases of each game's full, original soundtrack, like with Tasofro's fighting games. I'd easily pay for MoF and TD's soundtracks

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I really want proper releases of each game's full, original soundtrack, like with Tasofro's fighting games. I'd easily pay for MoF and TD's soundtracks
you can losslessly rip the songs from the games though. Each game is half a gigabyte because 90% of it is uncompressed music.
Or do you mean with proper track endings instead of a loop that fades out? That would be cool.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
you can losslessly rip the songs from the games though. Each game is half a gigabyte because 90% of it is uncompressed music.
Or do you mean with proper track endings instead of a loop that fades out? That would be cool.

I just meant I'd love if ZUN ever properly released the soundtracks of each game. I think some of the Sealing Club CD's have some specific tracks, but I'd love to like to just have a proper MoF, TD or LoLK CD I could legally buy. Like how I think the fighting games official releases for the music

demidar

Oct 26, 2017
The Good: Official Touhou game with money behind it.

The Bad: It has Mario Party parts to it.

:coldsweat:

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
what indeed.

Edit: It doesn't look official to me, but I didn't look too hard.
Does ZUN allow fangames on mobile? I can't remember.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Tried to do some digging around but only Gematsu had a short article on the new mobile game

Aniplex and developer Quatro A announced Touhou Project digital board game Touhou Cannonball for smartphones at Hakurei Jinja Reitaisai 2018. It will launch in 2019 in Japan.

The game will feature various Touhou Project characters like Reimu Hakurei and Marisa Kirisame. Players will roll the dice to move across the Gensokyo-set board and earn money through items, battle, shopping, and more as they aim for victory.

Only other info I could find with Google was some scans and translated info on /jp/, but I don't want to post anonymous info / info that can't be properly verified.

I really doubt this is an official game though. ZUN might have just given his blessing

Does ZUN allow fangames on mobile? I can't remember.

I'm not sure, though I've definitely already downloaded and played a mobile fan STG before (can't remember the title but I definitely posted about it on the old site)

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
There was an interview with ZUN and the creator of Undertale Toby Fox. Here is the highlights, if you are interested.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed this and it's hilarious. SBF try to guess what phrases are real titles for games in the series:

There was an interview with ZUN and the creator of Undertale Toby Fox. Here is the highlights, if you are interested.

I just realized how weird of a coincidence it is that Toby Fox had Ran as a favorite character

Also didn't realize that in ZUN's head Lunar Capital = China, which is kind of amusing.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
That Tobyfox and ZUN interview is really interesting. Really loved Undertale, its touhou influence is very clear. Been playing some of the games again lately, but can't get ESoD to run in windowed mode so I just replayed LoLK again lol

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
That Toby Fox interview is fascinating. Always knew he liked Touhou but didn't realize he enjoyed it that much. Which is pretty cool.
Just noticed this and it's hilarious. SBF try to guess what phrases are real titles for games in the series:

This is great as well.

Related: the description of the video where they played Soku:
Unperceiving of Natural Law: Chase the Enigma of the Gargantuan Guignol, sequel to Scarlet Perception Heaven: Scarlet Weather Rhapsody (the acclaimed follow up to Gathering Reverie: Immaterial and Missing Power, the story told between Ghostly Dream: Perfect Cherry Blossom and Eternal Night Vignette: Imperishable Night) which takes place 1 year after Wind God Chronicles: Mountain of Faith, but sometime before Earth Spirit Palace: Subterranean Animism, was released simultaneously with Star Lotus Ship: Undefined Fantastic Object, but the events within take place afterward, hence, 12.3.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
That Toby Fox interview is fascinating. Always knew he liked Touhou but didn't realize he enjoyed it that much. Which is pretty cool.

This is great as well.

Related: the description of the video where they played Soku:

My favorite bit is that you can tell Matt's like, "two words only? That's totally fake" when TD, SA and IN pop up

Anyway, I remember that video (where they were explicitly like, "I think we played all the characters" and then they proceeded to not play as Suika), didn't realize it was referring to that. I dunno why they're trying to make that a thing lol, all the titles at least make sense in context.

Also I've never seen any Touhou fans actually refer to Touhou games with the English translated titles like "Wind God Chronicles". I've only seen acronyms or the subtitle used. I have used a full title once, but it was "Touhou Fuujinroku - Mountain of Faith"

demidar

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, remembering the Japanese part is a lot more difficult than the English part, for obvious reasons.

I'm gonna try and type them all out right now.

Koumakan
Youyoumu
Eiyashou?
(that Twinkle Star vs shmup that i completely forgot)
Sui-something
Fuujinroku
I can't remember SA's
Nor UFO's
Hisouten & Hisoutensoku
And nothing else from this point on forwards.

demidar

Oct 26, 2017
Just looked at my Touhou folder which does have all that I own in kanji (so nothing past Double Dealing Character) and I know enough to jolt my memory on the rest.

Suimusou
Bunkachou
Seirensen
Shinreibyou
Kaiezuka
I can't read DDC's :S

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Just posting to update and say that I've currently finished the Steam section of the OT (might add a smaller section, with no pictures, for other smaller recs but I'm basically done with it for now).

Also since I'm already posting, this metal cover of Hartmann's Youkai Girl popped up in my feed.

I also went over the channel's other uploads, and aside from an awesome Primordial Beat cover, they have a Bad Apple cover too (including vocals by Cristina Vee). Amazingly, their cover already has 4 million views (and the video was only uploaded 9 months ago which is kinda crazy)

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Just posting to update and say that I've currently finished the Steam section of the OT (might add a smaller section, with no pictures, for other smaller recs but I'm basically done with it for now).

Also since I'm already posting, this metal cover of Hartmann's Youkai Girl popped up in my feed.

I also went over the channel's other uploads, and aside from an awesome Primordial Beat cover, they have a Bad Apple cover too (including vocals by Cristina Vee). Amazingly, their cover already has 4 million views (and the video was only uploaded 9 months ago which is kinda crazy)
I think the Steam section should also have direct links to each game. Maybe use the Steam icon images, if they don't look too messy.

RichaadEB's covers are great. He has a full album of Touhou covers, and the songs are all on on Spotify and iTunes and all that.

I also want to shout out Billy the Bard, a multitalented Youtube musician whose channel is woefully underrated.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Steam section should also have direct links to each game. Maybe use the Steam icon images, if they don't look too messy.

RichaadEB's covers are great. He has a full album of Touhou covers, and the songs are all on on Spotify and iTunes and all that.

I also want to shout out Billy the Bard, a multitalented Youtube musician whose channel is woefully underrated.

I completely forgot to add links, thanks for reminding me

Also, an Illusionary Joururi cover? He's got my sub already lol. His Rigid Paradise cover is pretty great though, it reminded me a lot of Demetori's cover of that track

CRQ

Oct 25, 2017
Daily reminder that DDC has some of the best tunes in touhou and this is my correct opinion

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusader and I got to say, holy shit I didn't know Sakuya was a gigantic JoJo reference.

demidar

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusader and I got to say, holy shit I didn't know Sakuya was a gigantic JoJo reference.

Oh boy.

Lots of Touhou things are JoJo references. I think. Remi's comment about eating pieces of bread to Marisa is a Dio reference in Phantom Blood.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing through Labyrinth of Touhou again, as I wanted to finally finish this game before the end of the year. I started a fresh save, because I always get super lost and confused towards the end of the game and am currently up to the third floor. First floor was simple enough. Youmu on the second floor gave me a hard time (because I was stubborn about not wanting to grind). I've currently explored all of the third floor and just need to get to the bossfights.

I also tried to do some custom character portraits for this run, though it didn't work out so well for most portraits:

yR7FTJ7.png

JuN7bYw.png

It seems like the custom art works best if the characters are looking towards the screen:

LZZezVq.png

Gonna try and fix / find better art at least for Sakuya, Reimu and Patchouli. I don't want to spend too much time looking for art for all characters, but those three characters are ones I absolutely need changed.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I watched this video so now you have to watch it too. Sorry.

Aside from that, another minusT preview came out recently. It features Reimu not flying.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
While I couldn't find art for everyone, I managed to find some better fitting portraits for Reimu / Sakuya / Patchouli.

pQDgkD0.png

WG4ZRhJ.png

The fan art I used for the custom art is by "baba" (danbooru has the artist tagged under "baba (baba_seimaijo)" though I can't post it here)

On my LoT playthrough: I'm currently up to floor 9 / 10-ish. The game is definitely as hard as I remember, though winning is also as sweet (there really is nothing like surviving with only 2 characters after a 15 minute fight). While I've always really liked the switching mechanic in Labyrinth of Touhou, I've started to realize how nuts the system is. For example, I never realized that you can switch a character out with several buffs and that they'd keep the buffs.

Now that I know though, I've come up with all sorts of shenanigans like fully speed buffing Patchouli with Aya, then bringing her out and having her spam multiple Silent Selene spells. Or being able to bring in powered up characters during key moments (like a full health, Tepes Curse-buffed Remilia to tag in for Meiling). It's a pretty crazy system, especially now that I've learned you can even buff characters while they're offscreen with Ran. Only the high difficulty of the boss fights really stops this from feeling super broken tbh.

Anyway, I've currently got everyone up to Ran (except for Sanae, I need to level up more because I got destroyed just on the opening attack). I'm kinda pragmatic with my party layout, though I basically always bring Patchouli, Reimu, Chen and Aya. I think I actually really love LoT Chen. I'm not normally a Chen fan at all but I like how you can sneak her in and out of a fight for extra damage.

I watched this video so now you have to watch it too. Sorry.

Aside from that, another minusT preview came out recently. It features Reimu not flying.

At least the remixes are kinda neat

Also I forgot I already watched that teaser