• We have completed a significant site update. Come see what's new!
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Touhou Community Thread | Immaterial and Missing Posts

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Tried the demo. It is definitely harder than Touhou 16 in terms of the first 3 stages. Some of the patterns are just weird. That said, the mechanics of this game alleviates some of the difficulty, as you get a ton of chance to save yourself. Like Touhou 16, the music is not very memorable. I think lately the soundtrack has been going more for atmosphere than being catchy. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just different. I think the standout track of the demo is stage 3 boss.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Tried the demo. It is definitely harder than Touhou 16 in terms of the first 3 stages. Some of the patterns are just weird. That said, the mechanics of this game alleviates some of the difficulty, as you get a ton of chance to save yourself. Like Touhou 16, the music is not very memorable. I think lately the soundtrack has been going more for atmosphere than being catchy. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just different. I think the standout track of the demo is stage 3 boss.
Stage 1 boss theme is very memorable, also. I've been listening to it off and on lately on YouTube. I really like this OST.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Like Touhou 16, the music is not very memorable. I think lately the soundtrack has been going more for atmosphere than being catchy. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just different. I think the standout track of the demo is stage 3 boss.
I actually like Touhou 16's soundtrack and think that Touhou 16.5 was more disappointing, but I agree that ZUN's newer tracks have been a bit hit and miss. I personally think it might be because he's being more experimental with the instrumentation though. Last time there was a Touhou soundtrack I didn't love, the instruments were just really different (i.e. TH12 and TH13)

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like Touhou 16's soundtrack and think that Touhou 16.5 was more disappointing, but I agree that ZUN's newer tracks have been a bit hit and miss. I personally think it might be because he's being more experimental with the instrumentation though. Last time there was a Touhou soundtrack I didn't love, the instruments were just really different (i.e. TH12 and TH13)
Yup, experimental sounds about right. The weirdness of the soundtrack reminded me of UFO and Dateless Bar Old Adam. Touhou 17 is closer to Old Adam in the weirdness aspect. At least UFO soundtrack worked for me while Old Adam was very hit and miss.

Thorn

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I want like Yukari in Touhou but I dont like how Canon outright says she kidnaps humans from the outside world to feed Youkai.

I can't like a character who does that.

Last edited:

Pata Hikari

Jan 15, 2018
Consider me Team Byakuren where fighting against that is a worthy endeavor. And it just is so weird to see her do nice things like in Forbidden Scrollery and then its outright stated she's a mass killer.

But I guess ZUN doesn't find it a big deal.
A big part of Touhou world-building is the really weird and alien morality that Youkai live by and how the human character's own morals and standards are shaped by it.

Well that and a fair bit of satire.

Thorn

Oct 25, 2017
A big part of Touhou world-building is the really weird and alien morality that Youkai live by and how the human character's own morals and standards are shaped by it.

Well that and a fair bit of satire.
Oh, I totally understand that, I guess I just dislike the "eating humans" aspect. Like all these cute and friendly characters also just have no problem eating an innocent person's insides.

I blame this fanart I saw of Chen and Ran realistically eating some guy's entrails I saw. Bleh.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like NitorInc (that Touhou / WarioWare style game still in development) is getting an update on May 31.

Also I think there was a thread earlier this week, but the Touhou 17 demo is now available on Steam. It also just so happened that Tokyo Active Neets uploaded a cover of Megalovania a few days ago. Weird coincidence on that.

Oh, I totally understand that, I guess I just dislike the "eating humans" aspect. Like all these cute and friendly characters also just have no problem eating an innocent person's insides.

I blame this fanart I saw of Chen and Ran realistically eating some guy's entrails I saw. Bleh.
You can just pretend / headcanon that most of the playable cast don't eat humans. There aren't many characters where we 100% know they eat / have eaten humans (there's Yamame, and one of the Oni characters and I think that's it so far). There are also certain species (magicians, tsukumogami) and characters (Murasa) that are harder to picture needing to eat humans.

You can also just be like me, and have all your favourite characters be non-youkai lol