• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Hifuu Bouenkyou (which was first announced as coming to Switch almost a year ago) finally has a release date, courtesy of Gematsu

Tbh, I've never ever heard of this game but it''s wild to see a fangame with Maribel and Renko coming to console.

Also, while it's not really Touhou related, I just want to mention I started getting into the Len'En series (aka that one Touhou-like series that also decided to copy ZUN's art, for some reason). I'll probably make a short post about it when I'm done with all the games, but I'm enjoying it so far. First game is kinda whatever, but I can see myself coming back to the second game whenever ZUN / Tasofro aren't putting out official games.

The corona virus is really turning this year into a bummer huh

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the Touhou World Cup just finished up

Though there's still a bonus match that's going to happen. There's no details, other than it's gonna be LoLK and there's some mystery patch involved. I wonder if the mystery patch will be something silly like that Legacy of Double Dealing Kingdom mod

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
So I think there are a few chapters out enough of the currently running mangas for me to make an impression. Those include the ones released in Strange Creators in Outer World. So on to the ZUN written ones first:

Cheating Detective Satori
Admittedly my least favorite of the bunch. I am not a big fan of the character designs. It's not outright bad, but it gives a slightly uncanny vibe. The bigger problem is that the background art is mostly just flat. There is nothing interesting to look at, and for a mystery, it doesn't carry much tension. I do like the premise, though, the concept of a cheating detective because she can read minds. At the very least, some of the character interactions are pretty great, and this is the most characterization that Flandre is given, so in that sense, I am glad this got made.

Lotus Eater
An interesting work with a festive mood combined with a low key eeriness. This is accompanied by scenes of dreams/hallucination involving monster attacks that are extremely striking and beautiful to look at. Seriously, some of the paneling/art combo is really cool. The new character here is Okunoda Miyoi, and as in most Touhou character designs, it is pretty good. Her design has a whale motif and it is realized pretty well, and that in your face whale hat is pretty cute. The mystery here is the trouble she is causing, the how and why. A lot of the fun so far is in the party scenes, where the bulk of the character interaction happens. Now, at this point, three of the chapters have the same sort of thing happening, broad structure wise. Hopefully the story eventually change things up.

The next two are the ones released in SCoOW, and really blurs the line between official and fandom created works. If you ask me, I think these are essential works that any Touhou fans should read:

The Shimigami is Rowing Her Boat as Usual
This one is done by Azuma Maya, the same one who did Wild and Horned Hermit! My favorite of them all, this one puts Komachi in an unusual situation. Basically the premise is, what happens when a god gains empathy for human lives? Komachi was one of the highlights of Wild and Horned Hermit, which made her one of my favorite characters, and here AzuMaya takes her character even further. I sort of see her in a new light, or rather, it brought out that aspect of her that was sort of there. As for the art work, it is basically the same as the final stretches of Wild and Horned Hermit, which means it is pretty good. I think her character designs is the part that stands out the most, Somehow when her characters smile, they have a beautiful smiling face.

The Gensokyo of Humans
This one is about an intriguing mystery involving Akyuu. Rumor is going around that she is ill, that her mental faculty is not all there, and so the people around her are keeping her locked up. Involving a bit of human village politics dealing with the whole issue of the reincarnation of Hieda no Are, a whole novel side I haven't seen explored, this and Azuma's work appearing in the official magazine certainly expands on what is possible for derivative works to contribute to the overall canon. Not that "official canon" is important to Touhou. After all, it's Touhou, a property more driven by fandom than any other property. I just find it cool these two works have been allowed to stretch their creative muscles and then displayed prominently by the main Touhou magazine.

Digression aside, the story plays out like a classic mystery, with a dash of spooky ghost story. The mystery itself is really good and moves at a brisk pace. The next chapter should be the reveal. Other than that, there are lots of great character moments involving Akyuu, Kosuzu, Reimu, and Marisa. Reimu and Marisa here are the investigative team, and Reimu plays the eccentric detective. Akyuu is just sassy, randomly reciting the Kojiki from memory to show that no, she has not lost it. And as for Kosuzu, her friendship with Akyuu is the emotional core of the story.

The art is fantastic. It has the best background arts out of these four works. The architecture and sense of place in Gensokyo is fully realized, and the interior rooms are brimming with details. There is also some great use of lighting, with harsh contrasts and delicate shadows used along with some well thought out composition that adds to the uneasy feeling in certain scenes. The character designs are definitely a bit harsher than the usual fare for Touhou doujins, which I think mainly has to do with the way the illustrator used straighter lines, a little less round face designs, light bits of textured shading, and a different eye design, which grounds the characters into this somewhat creepy kind of mood.

So yeah, I think they are all at very least enjoyable, and three of them are fantastic in some ways.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I just read that March 18 is ZUN's Birthday. Happy Birthday ZUN!

So I think there are a few chapters out enough of the currently running mangas for me to make an impression. Those include the ones released in Strange Creators in Outer World. So on to the ZUN written ones first:

Cheating Detective Satori
Admittedly my least favorite of the bunch. I am not a big fan of the character designs. It's not outright bad, but it gives a slightly uncanny vibe. The bigger problem is that the background art is mostly just flat. There is nothing interesting to look at, and for a mystery, it doesn't carry much tension. I do like the premise, though, the concept of a cheating detective because she can read minds. At the very least, some of the character interactions are pretty great, and this is the most characterization that Flandre is given, so in that sense, I am glad this got made.

Lotus Eater
An interesting work with a festive mood combined with a low key eeriness. This is accompanied by scenes of dreams/hallucination involving monster attacks that are extremely striking and beautiful to look at. Seriously, some of the paneling/art combo is really cool. The new character here is Okunoda Miyoi, and as in most Touhou character designs, it is pretty good. Her design has a whale motif and it is realized pretty well, and that in your face whale hat is pretty cute. The mystery here is the trouble she is causing, the how and why. A lot of the fun so far is in the party scenes, where the bulk of the character interaction happens. Now, at this point, three of the chapters have the same sort of thing happening, broad structure wise. Hopefully the story eventually change things up.

The next two are the ones released in SCoOW, and really blurs the line between official and fandom created works. If you ask me, I think these are essential works that any Touhou fans should read:

The Shimigami is Rowing Her Boat as Usual
This one is done by Azuma Maya, the same one who did Wild and Horned Hermit! My favorite of them all, this one puts Komachi in an unusual situation. Basically the premise is, what happens when a god gains empathy for human lives? Komachi was one of the highlights of Wild and Horned Hermit, which made her one of my favorite characters, and here AzuMaya takes her character even further. I sort of see her in a new light, or rather, it brought out that aspect of her that was sort of there. As for the art work, it is basically the same as the final stretches of Wild and Horned Hermit, which means it is pretty good. I think her character designs is the part that stands out the most, Somehow when her characters smile, they have a beautiful smiling face.

The Gensokyo of Humans
This one is about an intriguing mystery involving Akyuu. Rumor is going around that she is ill, that her mental faculty is not all there, and so the people around her are keeping her locked up. Involving a bit of human village politics dealing with the whole issue of the reincarnation of Hieda no Are, a whole novel side I haven't seen explored, this and Azuma's work appearing in the official magazine certainly expands on what is possible for derivative works to contribute to the overall canon. Not that "official canon" is important to Touhou. After all, it's Touhou, a property more driven by fandom than any other property. I just find it cool these two works have been allowed to stretch their creative muscles and then displayed prominently by the main Touhou magazine.

Digression aside, the story plays out like a classic mystery, with a dash of spooky ghost story. The mystery itself is really good and moves at a brisk pace. The next chapter should be the reveal. Other than that, there are lots of great character moments involving Akyuu, Kosuzu, Reimu, and Marisa. Reimu and Marisa here are the investigative team, and Reimu plays the eccentric detective. Akyuu is just sassy, randomly reciting the Kojiki from memory to show that no, she has not lost it. And as for Kosuzu, her friendship with Akyuu is the emotional core of the story.

The art is fantastic. It has the best background arts out of these four works. The architecture and sense of place in Gensokyo is fully realized, and the interior rooms are brimming with details. There is also some great use of lighting, with harsh contrasts and delicate shadows used along with some well thought out composition that adds to the uneasy feeling in certain scenes. The character designs are definitely a bit harsher than the usual fare for Touhou doujins, which I think mainly has to do with the way the illustrator used straighter lines, a little less round face designs, light bits of textured shading, and a different eye design, which grounds the characters into this somewhat creepy kind of mood.

So yeah, I think they are all at very least enjoyable, and three of them are fantastic in some ways.

Haven't read Cheating Detective and Lotus Eaters yet (I'm waiting to be able to binge read a bunch of chapters) but I agree that the two SCoOW doujin are fun reads.

Of the two, I think I prefer Gensokyo of Humans. Even though it's starting to seem like it's just an incident, it was nice to see a work seemingly tackle that "Akyuu's short lifespan" subplot. Shinigami is nice but it definitely feels more doujin-y of the two. I do appreciate that the first chapter of Shinigami Rowing Her Boat *immediately* takes place after WaHH's ending though, that's real nice.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
The fangame Elegant Impermanence of Sakura is finally out (on Steam)!

I believe this is by the same crew that did the Fantastic Danmaku Festival games. Chinese dev team, similar team name, and the same (extremely high) level of polish. It's also based off Imperishable Night, which fits the "reenvisioning" series they've been doing. Please correct me if I'm mistaken and it's by someone different.

The music and art is top-notch. Character art has a really unique style, and the Stage 6 theme / final boss theme in particular stand out as fantastic to me. (I'm a sucker for Mountain of Faith-style MIDI clapping.)

Characters teams are Reimu/Yukari, Mokou/Keine, and Marisa/Yuyuko. The latter are my two faves, so I'm naturally predisposed to liking the game! Outside of Kaguya (and an Imperishable Night-esque rival fight), all of the bosses are original characters, but I actually really like their designs (particularly the Stage 5 and 6 bosses). Yukari's art is a little fanservicey, but she's the only real example of it, and it's done in a way that at least helps to sell her character.

All the character teams seem fairly well balanced. Unlike the standard mainline Touhou games, the Stage gameplay has a big emphasis on controlling your shooting to detonate big fairies on top of smaller enemies and bullet clusters. While unfocused, your shots only hit big enemies, which means you'll be spending most of the stage flying around unfocused sniping big enemies in a way that almost feels like a rhythm game. I'm not normally a big fan of gimmicks that require you to control your shots and focus so much, but I'm actually finding it a lot of fun in this case! It might just be that my tastes have adjusted over the years.

The spell card balance and design feels really good to me for a fangame. I sometimes find that fangames get a little too "gimmicky" with their spell cards and end up losing that core danmaku gameplay, but this one nails it really well. Normal mode is a hair on the easy side (mostly because the game loads you up with the resources and, in true Imperishable Night fashion, the death bomb window is huge), but Hard Mode felt like a lot of fun to me as someone who typically plays the official games on Normal.

As is the norm for Fantastic Danmaku Festival, the presentation is through the roof and really elevates the whole experience.

I've done 3 Normal runs (to try each of the characters) and 1 Hard so far, and I'm definitely looking forward to playing more! Highly recommend checking this one out if it sounds like your cup of tea.

Last edited:

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
The fangame Elegant Impermanence of Sakura is finally out (on Steam)!

I believe this is by the same crew that did the Fantastic Danmaku Festival games. Chinese dev team, similar team name, and the same (extremely high) level of polish. It's also based off Imperishable Night, which fits the "reenvisioning" series they've been doing. Please correct me if I'm mistaken and it's by someone different.

The music and art is top-notch. Character art has a really unique style, and the Stage 6 theme / final boss theme in particular stand out as fantastic to me. (I'm a sucker for Mountain of Faith-style MIDI clapping.)

Characters teams are Reimu/Yukari, Mokou/Keine, and Marisa/Yuyuko. The latter are my two faves, so I'm naturally predisposed to liking the game! Outside of Kaguya (and an Imperishable Night-esque rival fight), all of the bosses are original characters, but I actually really like their designs (particularly the Stage 5 and 6 bosses). Yukari's art is a little fanservicey, but she's the only real example of it, and it's done in a way that at least helps to sell her character.

All the character teams seem fairly well balanced. Unlike the standard mainline Touhou games, the Stage gameplay has a big emphasis on controlling your shooting to detonate big fairies on top of smaller enemies and bullet clusters. While unfocused, your shots only hit big enemies, which means you'll be spending most of the stage flying around unfocused sniping big enemies in a way that almost feels like a rhythm game. I'm not normally a big fan of gimmicks that require you to control your shots and focus so much, but I'm actually finding it a lot of fun in this case! It might just be that my tastes have adjusted over the years.

The spell card balance and design feels really good to me for a fangame. I sometimes find that fangames get a little too "gimmicky" with their spell cards and end up losing that core danmaku gameplay, but this one nails it really well. Normal mode is a hair on the easy side (mostly because the game loads you up with the resources and, in true Imperishable Night fashion, the death bomb window is huge), but Hard Mode felt like a lot of fun to me as someone who typically plays the official games on Normal.

As is the norm for Fantastic Danmaku Festival, the presentation is through the roof and really elevates the whole experience.

I've done 3 Normal runs (to try each of the characters) and 1 Hard so far, and I'm definitely looking forward to playing more! Highly recommend checking this one out if it sounds like your cup of tea.

I'm kind of amazed by how good this game looks, it really brings some interesting things to the table. Thanks for your detailed write-up as well :)

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Just posting to say, I finally made the jump into Labyrinth of Touhou 2 earlier this week

guEcRkV.png

(This is the team I recently used to slay Yuugi and half-slay an over-leveled Tenshi)

I know I said I was gonna beat the LOT1's Post-game first and... I actually did that, but somehow completely forgot to post about it here! I don't want to get into it now (since I did 90% of the Post-game around December / January, and finally got around to clearing 30F and Winner around February / March) so I'll spoiler box my final thoughts on the post-game.

I liked the post-game from Floors 21 to 25. The pace of new content on those floors is great, and the stretch of the game where you can choose to fight Yuuka, Eiki and Utsuho in any order is great. By comparison, Floors 26 to 30 are a massive slog. There's barely any new content (outside of equips and scaled up older bosses) and the grind to fight Winner suuuuuucks. In the end, I ended up grinding *too much* and when I actually did initiate a fight with WINNER, we were laughably over-leveled that I ended up losing only 1 character in my winning attempt.

tl;dr Floor 21 to 25 was fun, 26 to 30 sucked, though the Serpent of Chaos fight was kinda neat. Also, Mystia and Renko seem horribly overpowered (especially Renko. Renko is just a win button against any boss not immune to paralysis)

As for Labyrinth of Touhou 2, I'm about 10 hours and 7 floors in and I'm really, really, really enjoying myself so far. The game is a bit on the easy side (I've been following all the recommended levels for bosses and only Mokou has posed an actual challenge so far) but the variety of options in this game is RIDICULOUS. I mentioned liking the stretch of LOT1's post-game where you can choose to fight Yuuka, Eiki and Utsuho in any order right? Well, LOT2 basically has been that non-step since I cleared Floor 2. There are so many ways to approach a fight, and it is GREAT since the worst thing about LOT1 was feeling stuck, looking up a guide and feeling like the whole fight's now spoiled.

I'm particularly proud of the strategy I came up with for clearing Mokou: I had Kasen inflict TRR on Mokou, and then I had Kogasa, with her TRR-stat buff passive, use Rain Drizzle, which causes Kogasa to power up and creates this feedback loop of Kogasa hitting Mokou, getting stronger and faster, and hitting harder, which let me outpace Mokou's healing in no time flat. I also figured out this great team for fighting Hina that was useful for clearing almost every other boss on that floor and the next one:

XukXOQE.png

RB2buIL.png

(I was so pleased to find Kasen was playable, and that you can run her as a pseudo-tank with Fighting Spirit)

All the new sub-systems, and the new high concept characters (like Hina, who gets stronger with debuffs, Parsee, who gets stronger when everyone *else* gets debuffed, and Satori, who straight up copies the spellcards of other character), all of it is sooooooo good

I just really hope that the game ramps up the difficulty. I actually did an (unfinished) replay of LOT1 and I haven't run into any real difficulty walls equivalent to LOT1 Youmu, Alice etc. Only Mokou has given me a hard time... and she's not even a mandatory boss like the LOT1 bosses I mentioned.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently at Floor 10 (I just need to clear Remilia and Sakuya to get to Floor 11 now). I don't know if I stumbled onto some winning strategy, but the game has been really easy so far. The anti-Hina team I came up with (with MND-bonus Kasen, MND-bonus Keine and Minoriko, with revolving attackers / support in Slot 3) has worked on so many bosses. Hina has similarly been way too useful. Every fight is just a debuff party. Here was the Ran fight on my second attempt:

g1KoL1I.jpg

So far, only two bosses have given me trouble. One of them was 9F Tenshi and other was stupid Mokou Tree on 7F (which was literally the Mokou fight again, except that 'Mokou' can randomly decide to heal themselves for 25k HP).

The 9th Floor boss brings back fond memories...

tumblr_nc5lzm2xmI1rggutqo1_1280.jpg

This took a while to get through but this wasn't too bad tbh. The worst parts were me not realizing "you can inflict SIL and HVY to lower Tenshi's MND and DEF even further" and that "you can still buff, just don't exceed the buff value of 100". The actual fight took forever (stupid Tenshi kept targeting slot 3 and 4 instead of my actual tanks) but after a point she couldn't kill Yuugi (who was now buffed by Last Fortress and was backed up by Meiling), so I slowly, slowly, slowly chipped away at her health with Alice, Nitori and a fully debuffed Hina using Old Lady Ohgane's Fire

In hindsight, I could have done this fight WAY faster if I brought Wriggle and also got less unlucky with who Tenshi was targeting, but DEF-bonus Meiling and DEF-bonus Yuugi can survive most of what Tenshi throws out (the only danger is Tenshi using Concentrate, and overhealing Yuugi easily fixes that issue) so it was more of a war of attrition.

Looking back on it, the Tenshi fight actually seems an awful lot like the Hina fight but instead of MND-tanks, you want DEF-tanks. And you're not allowed to buff yourself and laugh like with Hina, since Tenshi snipes high buff characters.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I just got to 16F in Labyrinth of Touhou 2. Just beat Yukari and picked up everybody but Yuuka and Flandre (who I forgot abotu)

The game has been way easier than LOT1 overall. Not that that's a bad thing, I love being able to run my own party.

Only three bosses have given me trouble since my last post: Azure Giant, Golden Mirror and 12F Tenshi. Azure Giant and Golden Mirror just kept ripping through my party (even the tanks). For the Mirror, I had to bum rush the boss with Kanako, who was getting buffed and all sorts of bonuses from her passives. When the Mirror MP drained, I had Minoriko use her MP regen passive (which costs TP) and I finished it off with her spells. As for the Azure Giant, I settled for a super gimmicky EVA-based team (with Suika and her Fog Labyrinth as the lynchpin, giving Alice, Aya, Orin etc. increased EVA). That fight was really annoying, though on my winning attempt, I got Orin to use Extra Attack 4 times in a row which was neat

As for 12F Tenshi, screw trying to do that fight legit lol. You're telling me I gotta do the 9F fight but without debuffs now? I don't feel bad at all about using the Rumia strat

Speaking of Rumia, Rumia is so good now. She's improved so much since LOT1. She's basically the lynchpin of my Debuff party (which has Hina, Parsee, Iku and Komachi with Flexibility, Satori, Mokou and Aya). She's so hard to debuff and her heal is actually useful, though she's still legit good for a ton of other fights as an attacker. She can even make certain fights (like Eiki) really easy. But yeah, she's good and so is Debuff party. Even in the Yukari fight, Debuff party worked insanely well (even though Yukari resets her stats, you can easily override with Hina + Satori, then have Parsee, buffed by Jealousy, Iku and with TRR active, do insane damage against Yukari.

MctWUzi.png

(I actually had to redo this fight bc I forgot about de-leveling Parsee. The fight was still a breeze, even with Parsee leveled down)

I'm gonna go back and pick up Yuuka and Flandre before moving onto 16F

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
It took almost 50 hours, but I finished LOT2's main game.

I think between the final boss and the last post, about three other bosses gave me trouble: the Three Orbs, the Mirror recolour and the Magatama recolour. They were hard until I remembered the new party members I had already unlocked (i.e. you can use Yukari Shenanigans on the orb, you can use Flandre against the Magatama for big damage and Yuuka's low cost Flower Shot + Extra Attack makes the Mirror pretty easy)

KkEd285.png

The actual final boss was a massive pain to get through but I managed to clear it without Sub-Classing, and while still under the Challenge Level. The actual strategy was cheesy as hell and basically relied on tanky Mokou and Komachi (without about 20k HP and the regen passive) swapping Flandre in and out, while occasionally swapping in Aya to help maintain speed or regen. I used a bunch of other characters too (for attackers, I had Meiling with Mountain Breaker, Kasen with her TRR attack, Parsee with her TRR nuke, Yuyuko with her row attack, and I had Hina and Reisen on debuff duty, with Ran backrow buffing and Rumia healing / sometimes attacking) but it was honestly down to those other four. Putting this strategy into effect took about 40 minutes. I lost Flandre 3/4 of the way through (during the goons phase; I had her use her FIR nuke, and she got clipped by the boss), which made the last 1/4 of the fight agonizingly slow. I also forgot about using Parsee until the very end:

nUUoYxv.png

(If I'd remembered to do this sooner, I would have finished this fight 15 minutes earlier)

I think most of the fight doesn't seem that bad, it's when the boss gets the ability to MP drain that makes this fight the worst. I'd have played the fight way more aggressively if it couldn't drain your MP and heal its HP... but since it does do that, your only options for tanking are really Mokou, Komachi and also Byakuren since they can tank and also self-heal without MP (it's a different story if you want to try sub-classing or massively over-levelling for the boss though)

But whatever, it's done now. I'm definitely not doing this the same way next time.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Air Reitaisai 17 (livestream replacement for Reitaisai) happened yesterday.
Haven't watched it so I don't know if there were cool announcements or anything.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a roundup of Touhou related stuff I found interesting this month:

Gaijin Hunter started covering the Touhou games earlier this year. They've gone through EoSD, PCB and IN so far. Introductory video is bleow

Novril Tataki, a YTer who covers fighting games, did a cool introductory video for Hisoutensoku's gameplay

Oh, and this 80's anime style "adaptation" of Highly Responsive to Prayers got a recent translation

It has limited animation and it's uh not a very faithful adaptation of HRtP at all, but it has voice acting and it's pretty neat. NSFW warning for near the end though (and also for the original source / creator's Nicovideo page)

Other Touhou-related things in May
  • Shinigami Rowing Her Boat came to an end this month
  • Cheating Detective Satori is still progressing, but has moved on from the EoSD cast to the PCB cast
  • Servants of Harvest Wish (a Danmakufu script / fangame shooter) had its full release this month
  • Touhou Lost Word (the other Touhou mobile game without ZUN's input) came out earlier this month

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017

Labyrinth of Touhou 2 is coming to Switch and PS4 in Japan

Gematsu said:
Publisher Phoenixx and developers Cubetype and Nise-Eikoku Shinshidan have announced Touhou Project dungeon RPG Touhou Labyrinth: Gensokyo to Tenkan no Taiju for PlayStation 4 and Switch. It will launch digitally this summer in Japan.

Two things:

1) I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that they didn't localize LOT1. The terrible art, the rough and raw gameplay and, most importantly, all the possibly copyright infringing references in LOT1, would probably make a direct port of 1 a hard sell. That said, I would totally be up for a remake (LOT1 and its amazing bossfights easily deserve it tbh)

2) somebody please, please, please bring this over into English. I need this in my life.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018

1) I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that they didn't localize LOT1. The terrible art, the rough and raw gameplay and, most importantly, all the possibly copyright infringing references in LOT1, would probably make a direct port of 1 a hard sell. That said, I would totally be up for a remake (LOT1 and its amazing bossfights easily deserve it tbh)

Which type of references we are talking about? a comment or literal characters and objects appearing

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Which type of references we are talking about? a comment or literal characters and objects appearing

All of the above tbh, Labyrinth of Touhou 1 is a sea of anime and video game references (look up the translation notes for LOT1 some time, the list is huge)

Though the most copyright intrusive ones are probably:

the level up vendor and (some of) the bosses are from other games

thLabyrinth_ver3%202011-08-07%2011-37-18-05.png

K_20160627_437489.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
Deathsmiles_Jitterbug_Art_5067.JPG

this one unsubtle exchange that straight up namedrops Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest

U1A9ay3.png

xuM7b0A.png

also, items like "Persona 4 Glasses" and "Machoke's Bracelet" (all the items reference SOMETHING, but these are the most explicit)

It's pretty telling that a lot of the items were renamed for LOT2. LOT2 in general seems less referential, especially when it comes to the dialogue, though it still has a few unsubtle references:

maxresdefault.jpg

6718_shin_megami_tensei_nocturne-3.jpg

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Results for this year's Popularity Poll are in. First place ended up being Youmu, somehow. Not sure how that happened, I've heard that Touhou Lost Word (the other Touhou mobile game) might have influenced those results.

Results here. Analysis of stats here. Also, someone did a visual chart of every poll's Top 10 picks.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Some things I noticed in the popularity poll:

CHARACTERS:
  • Miko went up 11 places (to 29th place), for some reason. I would say that would have been thanks to Saki but...
  • Saki debuted in 76th place. Which seems crazy low. Yachie (who I am *always* seeing her partnered with) is at 46th place
  • Urumi (121) and Eika (125) are less popular than Otter Spirit (116)
  • Miyoi debuted at 93rd place. That... could be way worse.
  • Ichirin is in 105th place. I think that has to be the lowest for a character whose gotten a fighting game appearance
  • Mima, Shinki and then Yumemi are the 3 highest PC-98 characters.
  • Yatsuhashi (who I voted for this poll) dropped to 123rd place. Yeesh...

MUSIC
  • There's 540 entries for the Music Poll. That's way more than double the entries of the Character Poll (which has only 198 entries). They should really, really increase the number of votes for music. It's ridiculous to have only 10 votes.
  • Idolatrize World came in 4th place. Considering that 1st and 2nd are the Scarlet Sister themes, that's pretty good!
    • I am baffled at Hartman's Youkai Girl being in 3rd though. There's no a single (official) rendition of HYG that's as good as Septette or UN Owen or even Emotional Skyscraper
  • Speaking of which, Emotional Skyscraper being in 18th place is a CRIME
  • The Gensokyo the Gods Loved coming in at 8th is good though.

WORKS
  • For the Works Poll, the Top 6 Works (EoSD, IN, PCB, MoF, SA and LoLK) are ridiculously consistent. Those games, in that exact order, were Top 6 for the 2019 AND 2018 poll
  • DDC, which ranked in 8th this poll, was also 8th in the last two polls. It ironically would have been 7th place if it weren't for...
  • WBaWC coming in to steal 7th place for this poll
  • Forbidden Scrollery is the highest ranked manga (as it should be)
  • Wild and Horned Hermit is the second highest (also as it should be)
  • The poll had an option for Tasofro's unreleased spinoff. Not sure why it was added, but it's ranked second last in its category
  • The last ranked work is actually a recent compilation of all the SCoOW bios (that nobody wanted to translate, since it was just a compilation of SCoOW bios)

Also, I just want to say, Marisa being pushed to 4th bothers me more than it should.

I love that Satori has her funky ZUN portrait there. lol

I think the person just grabbed all the portraits from the TH Wiki (THWiki's policy is to use the most official + recent art, and Satori's page still uses her SA art)

Personally, I'm more impressed she's consistently been 8th. Not even getting her own spinoff is enough to make her move up, apparently

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
These polls always reminds me, man do I disagree with so much of the fandom, lol.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
alright i've played enough luna nights, touhouvania and mahjong that i guess i will try and develop some game skill in shmups

why not now at this point in my life

going to play through the games starting with embodiment

in trying to 1cc normal mode i am currently up to stage 5, baby steps

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
alright i've played enough luna nights, touhouvania and mahjong that i guess i will try and develop some game skill in shmups

why not now at this point in my life

going to play through the games starting with embodiment

in trying to 1cc normal mode i am currently up to stage 5, baby steps
heck yeah. EoSD is fun. It's one of the tougher games for a first-time 1CC, but reaching Stage 5 without continues is already really good.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i have this problem where my brain doesn't want to use bombs and waits until i'm already dead and then i die with multiple bombs

but like, the spell card bonus, the spell card bonus

though tbh a lot of the time it's just scrubbing out on fairy spam

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Made a thread I'm sure y'all would have great input on considering this
MUSIC
  • There's 540 entries for the Music Poll.

www.resetera.com

What are your favorite Touhou franchise songs/arrangements?

I'm not into Touhou games really, but I've been really into the music for more than a decade. I don't know how I came across them, but my introduction was the series of eurobeat covers. I immediately loaded them onto my 360 to listen to while playing racing games, of course. During that...

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
got to remilia but had some dumb deaths so i'm still waiting to get the run that wins

tried out marisa for a change and she FAST

also i think, at least on reimu A route, that patchouli is definitely my favorite boss

admittedly her spell cards are a little bit samey but i really enjoy them

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
ReimuA's homing is cool but her lack of damage is a bit painful during bosses. I have an easier time with ReimuB; her focus damage helps a lot.

Dlent

Nov 2, 2017
I remember the first time I 1cc'd EoSD, it was with laser Marisa. I feel like whether or not I want to prioritize damage or evasion varies from game to game, so I have a pretty even spread of clearing between the two of them.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed that practically everything labeled Touhou (except for the official games) is on sale on Steam atm

I also noticed some weird Touhou vs Higurashi fighting game but with Dong Dong Never Die graphics from looking for sales

This is so obscure that that the only Wiki page I can find for the developers (18kingyo) is from the Chinese Touhou Wiki... and even that page has basically nothing. It's apparently not a new game (info I've found about the game dates as far back as 2016) but it's still weirdly obscure, even for Touhou fangame standards

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
there's hope for me after all

7cf693c768.jpg

this was like one of the most awful runs to stage 5+ i have ever had, complete with bad deaths and not bombing and also panic bombing when i didn't have to, and my score was heinously lower than my other scores that died on stage 5

but hey, i did it and that makes me feel better

i had 0 lives and 0 bombs during almost the entirety of Red Magic and i was losing my mind

now i can try playing the real difficulty modes! and stop playing reimu A

edit from the future: holy crap i went from eosd to ten desires and the smoothness of the controls and visible hitbox is fucking insane, it's like positively carefree to play in comparison

Last edited:

sultrines

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Hello, im new to this franchise

Whats the best place to discuss about touhou? This thread seems kinda... dead

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Another newcomer to Touhou here - been meaning to try the series since I first heard those amazing OSTs. Had no idea later entries are on Steam now.

Reading through the amazingly comprehensive OT I guess I'll start with no. 10?

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Hello, im new to this franchise

Whats the best place to discuss about touhou? This thread seems kinda... dead

If you want a place with more immediate discussion, you might want to try the Touhou Subreddit

It's not my favorite place (90% of that Reddit's content seems to be reposts of fan art, specifically Japanese fan art) but they do have weekly discussion threads for lore and gameplay

There are other places but, honestly, the Western Touhou fandom isn't very centralized. There used to be a Touhou specific forum, Maidens of the Kaleidoscope, but it, like most internet forums, has just been getting less and less activity.

Another newcomer to Touhou here - been meaning to try the series since I first heard those amazing OSTs. Had no idea later entries are on Steam now.

If you want to start with a game that you can easily purchase, yeah, 10 can work.

The only thing weird about TH10 is the bomb system (in TH10, it's not a separate resource like lives, and is also tied to your shot strength level). Even then, I don't think TH10's weird bombs are bad. It's very easy to fall into the newbie trap of "never using bombs until I'm absolutely sure I'm gonna die". TH10 can help you have the right approach to using bombs (i.e. using bombs to prolong a single life as much as possible)

But yeah. If you get it, enjoy the patterns and the music (TH10 has one of the better soundtracks in the series)

Last edited:

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
whats the general idea of when to blow your trance meter in touhou 13

i assume basically as soon as it's full you want to find a good spot to use it

i feel like there must be an optimal usage path for it that will give you maximum benefits because apparently it multiplies the value of some pickups

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017

i feel like there must be an optimal usage path for it that will give you maximum benefits because apparently it multiplies the value of some pickups
Yeah trance doubles the bomb piece & life piece pickups. Some pickups or pickup-carrying enemies only appear if you speedkill enemies, so play around and see where trance gets you the most pieces.

Dlent

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah trance doubles the bomb piece & life piece pickups. Some pickups or pickup-carrying enemies only appear if you speedkill enemies, so play around and see where trance gets you the most pieces.

I remember generally doing this anyways, because the pickup-carrying enemies only stuck around for so long and the screen was flooded with bullets, trance just makes it safe and easy to kill them and get all the pickups.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017

10 is a good starting point,. Aside from that, 7, 8, 13, 16, and 17 are also good starting points. 7 and 8 are not as easily accessible. Imo the best starting point is 13 because it's the easiest and you can get used to schmups mechanics before being thrown into the deep end.

Last edited:

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017

Touhou 13 is very routing heavy if you want to maximize score/resources. You just got to know the route and feel around for it. Or you could watch a video of a playthrough, it helps.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i think it could be potentially interesting in terms of using deaths to trigger trance on one bar instead of the whole meter, if you were doing like speedruns or something

i'm sure people speedrun touhou but i've not really seen any, of course the only time to save is in boss kills

the interplay between scoring, speed and the resources you have available is just neat

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
AzuMaya recently posted an epilogue to Wild and Hornred Hermit. Just a heads up to anyone who followed that series.

My opinion: It is simultaneously a better conclusion and even more disappointing at the same time.

Dlent

Nov 2, 2017
Whether or not it's disappointing to me will depend on what happens in future works. I still really liked it.

But I'll still be disappointed if Kasen doesn't start showing up outside of this manga more often.