• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I recently went back to TD (haven't played it in years) and found I'm able to get up to Miko consistently. Last time I played, I could barely get to Futo or even Stage 5 properly. It feels good knowing that I've actually improved a little since then.

Anyway, I'm gonna PM a Mod for a new title by end of this page (post #150 if 100PP is a thing here), can folks please pick which title they want?

Posted Suggestions:
  • Boys and Girls of a Scientific Era

• Immaterial and Missing Posts

• Silent Poster in Blue

• Reset Sign: 「Dawn of a New Era」

I don't mind folks adjusting or tweaking these, but no new suggestions (it'll take up too many posts, and I really want to change that title by the end of this page...)

EDIT: I'm voting for Immaterial and Missing Posts btw

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I really like Boys and Girls of a Scientific Era the most

I picked up Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet off the PS4 weekly sale and I'm impressed on how they translated Touhou into a 1v1 fighting game. Slow move being kinda like a block, grazing builds meter, specials being spell cards and you act like a touhou boss in them. I hope some of my local fighting game friends would be interested playing some rounds.

CRQ

Oct 25, 2017
I'm voting for Immaterial and Missing Posts because I don't like the idea of just taking a song title verbatim and going with that as the follow-up to the absolute brilliance that is "Highly Responsive to Posts"

paprika

Oct 25, 2017
I vote for Immaterial and Missing Posts but Boys and Girls of a Scientific Era is good too

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
That's a tough choice, but I'm gonna have to vote for Immaterial and Missing Posts.
If the community picks up, we can switch to Boys and Girls of a Scientific Era :p.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I'll go for Boys and Girls of a Scientific Era cause hopefully we'll be able to keep this thread a little bit more active than previously.

LunarEmerald

Oct 27, 2017
Another good fan game that I didn't see mentioned: Sengoku Gensokyo.

arPCCzc.jpg
nKzCeTn.jpg

It plays sort of like Sengoku Rance if you've heard of it. You go around a map, conquering areas to strengthen your army. It has a huge amount of characters, the gameplay is quite fun just like Sengoku Rance and it has a fairly interesting story with lots of dialog and character interactions.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
It's a 5-5 draw between "Immaterial and Missing Posts" and "Boys and Girls of a Scientific Era"

EDIT: Actually, nvm, Evilisk also voted for Immaterial and Missing Posts, so it's 6-5.

Lunar and Zweizer, you should also vote! :X

Last edited:

Palas

Oct 29, 2017

arPCCzc.jpg
nKzCeTn.jpg

It plays sort of like Sengoku Rance if you've heard of it. You go around a map, conquering areas to strengthen your army. It has a huge amount of characters, the gameplay is quite fun just like Sengoku Rance and it has a fairly interesting story with lots of dialog and character interactions.

Sengoku Rance without Rance (and consequently without all the shitty humor and rape fetish) is probably the best idea ever

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I can now understand why people say Ten Desires is one of the easier games to 1cc

L6CG4WJ.png

I'm gonna be honest, this was not my proudest clear. I just bombed all of Miko's spellcards (and also non-spells) except for "Royal Clans's Chaotic Dance".

Also, since I'm still me (and I'm still pretty terrible at shmups), here's a fail spellcard fail from another attempt
nPoJVVz.png

That could be fun to play. I'd always heard Sengoku Rance had some decent gameplay (and also music), though I never actually wanted to touch the series for obvious reasons

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
Okay, I can now understand why people say Ten Desires is one of the easier games to 1cc

L6CG4WJ.png

I'm gonna be honest, this was not my proudest clear. I just bombed all of Miko's spellcards (and also non-spells) except for "Royal Clans's Chaotic Dance".

Also, since I'm still me (and I'm still pretty terrible at shmups), here's a fail spellcard fail from another attempt
nPoJVVz.png

Ten Desires was my most unsatisfying 1cc. I don't even remember what happens stage 4 onwards due to how you could just spirit-world/bomb through everything. I think there's maybe one fun Futo spellcard and I remember seeing one of Shou's spellcards being used by Miko, but that's it. Oh, also there's that one with rotating balls that have no hitboxes but then they do (the one in your screenshot... probably). The only one that caught me off-guard.

Of course I didn't enjoy the game to its fullest, but eh, why would I? I don't like self-imposed challenges.

CRQ

Oct 25, 2017
I clearly haven't played proper touhou in a while, I was struggling to get to stage 4 in MoF today for crying out loud. Aaaaa, I hope I can get back in shape.

BTW, played Impossible Spell Card for the first time and I'm already obsessed with finding the little "holes" in the patterns that make them not impossible. Hoping ZUN makes another game with this concept, it's really cool as a sort of danmaku boss rush.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017

L6CG4WJ.png

nPoJVVz.png

That could be fun to play. I'd always heard Sengoku Rance had some decent gameplay (and also music), though I never actually wanted to touch the series for obvious reasons
The fact that I beat 1CC Ten Desires in one try after having not played in a while and being rusty on normal says something.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I just booted up Ten Desires and, uh,
spoopgasqt.png

Well played, thcrap.

edit: they halloweened all the games, hahaha.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
UFO was my funnest 1cc only because it was balls hard. I used Marisa lasers. And I did it on deployment at like 1 in the morning so I had to resist the urge to whoop and hollar after capturing Byakuren's final spell card with no lives or bombs in stock.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
UFO was my funnest 1cc only because it was balls hard. I used Marisa lasers. And I did it on deployment at like 1 in the morning so I had to resist the urge to whoop and hollar after capturing Byakuren's final spell card with no lives or bombs in stock.
Could never get past Toramaru. Although to be fair I didn't put that much time on it. But the hardest part isn't even the curvy laser, even though it's really hard to read. That one spellcard with the cross laser spinning around really fast around the screen is insane.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
UFO took me months to get past. That year I broke the normal skill ceiling with 1ccing TH10 first. TH13 was the second to fall.

Honestly the biggest fight that was a pain was Orin in 11.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Some other random thoughts on Ten Desires before they slip my mind:

-I actually find the Stage portions to be really enjoyable in this game. I'm not sure why.

-I don't really like the Trance system. I prefer the older games where score = more lives.

-The UI for this game is really slick. It's way better than the eyesore that is LoLK's bright pink UI

-Miko's two beam/multi-colored spellcards are kinda crazy for Normal difficulty.

-Youmu is pretty fun, but I wish her unfocused shot worked like her IN shot.

-I feel like Sanae's weird homing shot in UFO might have worked better in this game

-I've just realized, but this game is ridiculously punishing due to the death trances and the powerup system.

-I actually liked using Reimu in this game. Normally, I prefer Marisa because Reimu doesn't offer enough besides easier stage portions, but here she's actually pretty useful (the homing is definitely helpful against Yoshika). Also, it always feels terrible using Master Spark during stages but not being able to get any divine spirits.

I just booted up Ten Desires and, uh,

Well played, thcrap.

edit: they halloweened all the games, hahaha.

Lol, they added more to the screen since I last played (when I 1cc'd the game, they'd only added the skeleton with a trumpet)

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
UFO was... really easy to me? I had already beaten SA by then so there's that. And sure, Murasa's spellcards caught me off-guard at first, but then again every stage 4 boss ever does that. And Shou has some tricky spellcards. But Byakuren? I think her final spellcard was the first final spellcard I'd ever captured when I finally did.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Just a quick bump for the thread title voting. As Kilic95 posted, it's currently 6-5 with IaMP currently having the most votes. I'm just gonna do a quick bunch of quotes for those who haven't voted yet (since quote notifications are a thing now, it's much easier for me than to PM folks individually :D)

For you folks, you don't need to vote, but if you don't like the sound of "Immaterial and Missing Posts" as community subtitle then I'd suggest voting now!

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't play much TD yesterday because of this weird input lag. Turns out Windows 10's Fullscreen Optimizations were to blame.
Disabled Fullscreen Optimizations (and made a thread in MotK about it) and it felt much nicer.

Finally Hard 1CC'd TD. 5 years after I 1CC'd it on Normal, wow.
Despite its easier patterns, TD still feels difficult because of fewer extra lives. It's part of why I put off a Hard 1CC for so long.

Last edited:

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Boy and Girls so I don't appear to have bias on my own

Oct 25, 2017
While I surfed Niconico videos to save myself from boredom, I found this very peculiar video of Touhou MMD.

It's like they using a "cartoon-style" expression and I always find it very fascinating.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
If everyone's cool with it, I can post in the Spotlight thread. Though I still haven't worked on the OP as much as I would have liked (due to other work). Aside from general proofreading, the music section is still really barren (I'm not into fan music aside from Demetori and the occasional piano arrangement, so I don't really know what to put)

On MMD's, I posted these last page. They're Touhou/Dark Souls themed MMD's Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. I'm not super familiar with Souls games, but first seems to be a parody of Artorias, second is Smough and Ornstein and the third seems to be based on DSIII. They've got a non-English creator, but there's no talking in it anyway. Some other recent favorites are Alice vs Alice's Search History and Chinpo

CRQ

Oct 25, 2017
Chinpo is fun and all, but I think special mention should go to Chinchin, which was linked to in the comments for Chinpo. Subtitle files are provided, and I encourage people to put in the effort to view it.

Narumi

Oct 25, 2017
Aw hell yeah, nominate this for the Spotlight Thread, Evil!

Gotta get more people in this.

(Although, this thread is surprisingly more active than back in the day)

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm gonna opt-in for our community. I asked about co-coordinating the spotlight with the release date, though no answer yet. (I guess I better continue work on that OP now lol)

(Although, this thread is surprisingly more active than back in the day)

Eh, the old thread was pretty active at first too. I think 2/3rds of the posts in the old thread were from its first year.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
OP is pretty good though. It'd be impossible to cover fan music or fan art extensively anyway - maybe an SFW link to the depths of hell would make it easier for people to understand what's so absurd about fan production than proper examples

paprika

Oct 25, 2017
my one complaint about the OP is that it's too long, specially on mobile. though just about every OT is like that and once the discussion moves past the first page it's not that much of a problem anymore

still, maybe a couple more spoiler things would help. and maybe links for fanworks? like youtube videos for the music and stuff

also still on the topic of MMDs, there was a vine account with a bunch of stuff on MMD. it's so ridiculous, I love it

there's also this

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
The trailer is just a guy sitting on the title screen and letting the attract mode play out loool.
That HSiFS "trailer" makes me think that DDC's Playism store trailer was made by Playism and not ZUN, lol. If so, it really makes you realize just how much ZUN dislikes dealing with game distribution, logistics, and other "busywork." The guy just wants to make games.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
my one complaint about the OP is that it's too long, specially on mobile. though just about every OT is like that and once the discussion moves past the first page it's not that much of a problem anymore

still, maybe a couple more spoiler things would help. and maybe links for fanworks? like youtube videos for the music and stuff

I actually thought I added too many spoiler boxes in the OP tbh. I guess I could add some more for the first section too.

As for links, I've already added some for the animated section and I do plan to do it for the music one as well. I was going to embed videos until I realized that would make the OP even longer. With the doujinshi section, I'm a bit wary about providing direct links. I'm not really sure on ResetEra's policy on linking to sites with scans.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought I added too many spoiler boxes in the OP tbh. I guess I could add some more for the first section too.

As for links, I've already added some for the animated section and I do plan to do it for the music one as well. I was going to embed videos until I realized that would make the OP even longer. With the doujinshi section, I'm a bit wary about providing direct links. I'm not really sure on ResetEra's policy on linking to sites with scans.

From the FAQ:
Cerium said:
please do not create threads that have illegal links or magazine scans in them.