• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Also I've recently been trying to seriously clear PCB. I've already settled on Reimu, mostly because of the Prismriver fight; the other two sisters are way too hard for me to do consistently. I think I'm starting to do Stage 4 consistently, though Youmu is such a big problem. Even her nonspells are awful to deal with (I've gotten used to the trajectory but I get destroyed by the second phase with the aimed at bullets)
Yeah Youmu is so awful compared to even the final boss. The part where she shoots the big bubble bullet which she then splits into multiple ones was maddening.

CRQ

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda glad to hear I'm not the only one who struggles with Youmu and the Prismriver Sisters.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that the Prismrivers are totally color coded to the main characters.

Marisa fights the Red-White sister
Reimu fights the Black-White sister
Sakuya fights the White-Blue sister

I'm so glad that I just realized this, it's way easier to remember my Stage 4 Route as "Reimu fights not-Marisa, and then I have to focus fire on not-Sakuya / Merlin in the group spellcard". (I also don't have to remember any of their names this way. Except for Merlin. Merlin is way too weird of a name for me to not remember)

I'm kinda glad to hear I'm not the only one who struggles with Youmu and the Prismriver Sisters.

Yeah I wasn't expecting the second half of PCB to be such a gauntlet. Stage 4, then the Prismrivers, then Youmu then Yuyuko and her troll extra phase are really exhausting. Tbqh I'm not sure I can clear this game, I've only cleared other games by learning the first four stages perfectly and coasting by with tons of resources. PCB is way too honest for that though lol

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
PCB becomes much more dishonest when using SakuyaA or even SakuyaB due to how many bombs she gets. Even blue-white prismriver is no match for all of the bombs.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Youmu is pretty tough, but I actually didn't struggle much with the Prismrivers. Though I didn't know about the choose which sister thing and the character I used (Sakuya) just happened to have the prismriver pattern I found the easiest. Also I always used the same strat to get past the first attack with all 3 sisters so I always ended up fighting the same sister in the 2nd part of the fight. Don't remember which one though. Stage 4 is also quite challenging, but once you get a route figured out you can make it pretty consistent. The only parts I was never truly consistent on were Lily White and that one fairy at the very end of the stage.

Yuyuko is also fairly easy for a stage 6 boss IMO, so I always had bombs leftover when I managed to get to her last ditch effort attack, which can be pretty intimidating. I think it's a matter of a lot of her attacks having smaller hurtboxes than they seem to.

Youmu though. Just bombed like crazy through her spells.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I recently finished story mode for Antinomy of Common Flowers. It has my favorite story for a Touhou game yet. It may in the end be a robbery plot, but it is extremely fun and kind of clever, and it helps that the Yorigamis are just great as villains. The game is hilarious to boot, especially the dream self stuff. It also ends up providing more characterization to a bunch of the cast. Since I haven't played the previous fighting games, this game really helped me cement a lot of the characters more fully formed in my mind.

CRQ

Oct 25, 2017
I love MinusT videos, they're so pleasant to watch. Youtube compression doesn't do it justice, I bet.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
It seems a new fangame was recently released in English called Remyadry. I'm not really sure what's up with this game (I found this out through YT recommendations so it's a bit sketch to me) though it seems to be available on Steam too. Operation Rainfall had a short article about the game:

Game Overview
Remyadry is a mouse controlled RPG with character creation and dungeon crawling.
Players can compose their party from a maximum of 20 units and fight their way through the dungeon.

Unique Features
· Players can import their own image assets into the game to personalize the game experience
· Characters can be named freely
· Acquire more characters as the story progresses
· Characters can be powered up by distributing points earned in the game
· Earn skill points by progressing the game and customize your skill tree
· Most battles are automated for a smooth game experience

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Thought I would post something amazing, a youtuber posted a video compilation of Lunatic No miss No bomb runs he did of all Windows mainline Touhou games:

Fun viewing and it is a great way to learn complicated routings in these games.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Touhou 16.5 has been announced. Translated info from MotK:
It's a game where Sumireko Usami, the high school girl that can only come to Gensokyo in her dreams, experiences some particularly strange dreams.

The aim of the game is to take pictures of psychic powers and danmaku to post onto social networks for glory, with systems that should feel very reminiscent of Shoot the Bullet, and yet somehow there's a kind of an ominous story in there, so while you can play without a care it's turning into something you can really sink your teeth into.

e0088742_15581139.jpg

e0088742_15440712.jpg

The planned release date is August 10

CRQ

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, a danmaku photo game without playable tengu?

I hope people don't hate on Sumireko even more for stealing the spotlight or whatever, she did nothing wrong.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Nice.
Drake from MotK suspects the mechanics are going to be different from previous photo games based on observing the screenshots, so I'm looking forward to seeing how these new mechanics work.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
This is really cool, some group made an anime movie with Maribel and Renko, and it comes out in August, and no, it's not part of the Sealed Esoteric History series:

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
e0088742_15433690.jpg

I can't believe he's still using the same Reimu sprite from Touhou 8 lmao.

Also it's kinda weird seeing a character which started in the fighting game art style transition to ZUN's style. Not sure if that counts as an upgrade or a downgrade.

CRQ

Oct 25, 2017
Feels weird that Suika technically was in a main Touhou game but didn't get ZUN art.

Even Tenshi got that one ZUN doodle on a whiteboard I think

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Feels weird that Suika technically was in a main Touhou game but didn't get ZUN art.

Even Tenshi got that one ZUN doodle on a whiteboard I think
I believe all of ZUN's characters have ZUN art in some form. I've definitely seen a ZUNart Suika, it was sketched in a notebook or something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I just thought I'd post some Touhou related videos I've recently watched:

Touhou 15.5's bosses in STG form
Double Focus speedrun in less than 20 minutes

The Active Neets YT channel also recently uploaded a slower jazz cover of Pure Furies, and an orchestral cover of Hartmann's Youkai Girl.

I believe all of ZUN's characters have ZUN art in some form. I've definitely seen a ZUNart Suika, it was sketched in a notebook or something.

Yeah, there's definitely ZUN-art of Suika

latest

I'm certain even the Watatsukis have ZUN art too (though if it's out there, it's definitely not as easy to find as ZUN-art Suika)

EDIT:

Touhou Wikia had this incomplete sketch of Toyohime

latest

Last edited:

CRQ

Oct 25, 2017
despite the fact people love to make fun of ZUN's art the dude can definitely draw better than I could in a million years

even if they don't have knees and elbows

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
despite the fact people love to make fun of ZUN's art the dude can definitely draw better than I could in a million years

even if they don't have knees and elbows
I will give ZUN one thing. He has definitely improved a lot. His art is still quiet inconsistent in quality though. I also think it would be a bit better if he chose a better skin tone for the characters. They are too pale and makes them look like the living dead.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot Violet Detector was coming out, I'm not a big fan of the photography games tbh. I only noticed because there's been uploads of the soundtrack and of the completed game in my YT feed. The game's music seems good though, I've also heard that a bunch of older bosses are featured in this game. Also seems like dialogue of the game has already been translated.

demidar

Oct 26, 2017
The torii gate on the water looks similar to the lake area in Hakone, but there's probably hundreds of such gates.

demidar

Oct 26, 2017
Can't believe I picked that one out.

I took the pirate sightseeing cruise and saw those gates near the lakeside. Alas I didn't visit those shrines since I was a bit on a schedule. Was a damn chilly day and my hands were so cold i couldn't hold my phone straight.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...e4a36847c7e09a!8m2!3d35.2047928!4d139.0253574
For people who want to know where it is geographically. You can go through the photos and the landscape matches up.

CRQ

Oct 25, 2017
yessssss bless you ZUN for continuing to put your games on steam

I was wondering why he was waiting to put it on for a bit, maybe to give himself a chance to sell some physical copies first lol

Ashgar

Oct 28, 2017
It seems like a fangame has arrived on Steam:

Anyone played this one? I know it's "Based on" EoSD but that's the end of my knowledge about it.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
A Youtuber I follow did a character design / analysis video on Joon and Shion from AoCF. It's not the only Touhou related analysis they've done, they've also looked at Komachi, Utsuho and a few others.

Also I'm planning to update the OT. I was originally going to just add Violet Detector (and rewrite a few sections), but I think I'm going to have to revamp the fanworks / fangame section as well, specifically so there's more of a focus on fangames.

(Also also I need to ask, has the official English translation of AoCF been released already? I can't check atm)

CRQ

Oct 25, 2017
(Also also I need to ask, has the official English translation of AoCF been released already? I can't check atm)
Yup it has. It's got subtitles for the story text lol, but afaik everything has been translated. Quality ain't exactly perfect, but it does the job well enough.

Hey remember when I said everything was translated? Haha nope, all the music names are left exactly as they are in Japanese. Well, it's something at least.

Last edited:

Spectrum

Oct 27, 2017
A Touhou fangame called "Azure reflections" released on Switch. Has anyone played it before? Is it any good?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
So Azure Reflections is on Switch now. How is that game as far as Touhou spin-offs go? I've only ever played the official, vert shmup ZUN Touhou games but this one looks like it could be pretty good. Nice art too. I have a slight preference for horizontal shmups anyway so I'm leaning towards picking it up.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
A Touhou fangame called "Azure reflections" released on Switch. Has anyone played it before? Is it any good?
So Azure Reflections is on Switch now. How is that game as far as Touhou spin-offs go? I've only ever played the official, vert shmup ZUN Touhou games but this one looks like it could be pretty good. Nice art too. I have a slight preference for horizontal shmups anyway so I'm leaning towards picking it up.
Haven't played it, but the gameplay does look solid from what I've seen of it.
For more gameplay footage, try searching for "Uniting Barrage Action", which was the game's original title before being localized to "Azure Reflections".

CRQ

Oct 25, 2017
A Touhou shmup from the side perspective screws with me, but it looks solid to me too. Maybe I might consider it down the line...

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
Just impulse bought Azure reflections this morning and it already consumed a good chunk of time already (i missed the stop on my way to work because of it^^).
I normally rarely play shoot 'em ups (my last one was death smiles) but this feels really really nice as I work my way up from easy (currently at normal).
Like the patterns and especially the spell card mechanic.

Anyone else currently playing that can give me some tips to get better scores?

Never played any Touhou games before but thanks to this thread I will definitly check some of them out.
Violet Detector just landed on my wishlist and I'm also thinking about getting 16 for the weekend.

Thanks for the great OP Evilisk!

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I've rewritten a few sections, added some parts and also added Violet Detector to the OT.

Now I just need to overhaul the third part of the post (formatting all of that is gonna be hell...)

Just impulse bought Azure reflections this morning and it already consumed a good chunk of time already (i missed the stop on my way to work because of it^^).
I normally rarely play shoot 'em ups (my last one was death smiles) but this feels really really nice as I work my way up from easy (currently at normal).
Like the patterns and especially the spell card mechanic.

Anyone else currently playing that can give me some tips to get better scores?

Never played any Touhou games before but thanks to this thread I will definitly check some of them out.
Violet Detector just landed on my wishlist and I'm also thinking about getting 16 for the weekend.

Thanks for the great OP Evilisk!

Haven't gotten Azure Reflections yet (I'm a real cheapskate, even for series I actually like lol) so I can't give any tips

Also thanks, though I barely did anything tbh. I just reiterated on the older OT and added more images, with the actually original part of the post (Part 3) still not being done after almost a year lol