• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Tried the demo. It is definitely harder than Touhou 16 in terms of the first 3 stages. Some of the patterns are just weird. That said, the mechanics of this game alleviates some of the difficulty, as you get a ton of chance to save yourself. Like Touhou 16, the music is not very memorable. I think lately the soundtrack has been going more for atmosphere than being catchy. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just different. I think the standout track of the demo is stage 3 boss.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Tried the demo. It is definitely harder than Touhou 16 in terms of the first 3 stages. Some of the patterns are just weird. That said, the mechanics of this game alleviates some of the difficulty, as you get a ton of chance to save yourself. Like Touhou 16, the music is not very memorable. I think lately the soundtrack has been going more for atmosphere than being catchy. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just different. I think the standout track of the demo is stage 3 boss.
Stage 1 boss theme is very memorable, also. I've been listening to it off and on lately on YouTube. I really like this OST.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Like Touhou 16, the music is not very memorable. I think lately the soundtrack has been going more for atmosphere than being catchy. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just different. I think the standout track of the demo is stage 3 boss.

I actually like Touhou 16's soundtrack and think that Touhou 16.5 was more disappointing, but I agree that ZUN's newer tracks have been a bit hit and miss. I personally think it might be because he's being more experimental with the instrumentation though. Last time there was a Touhou soundtrack I didn't love, the instruments were just really different (i.e. TH12 and TH13)

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like Touhou 16's soundtrack and think that Touhou 16.5 was more disappointing, but I agree that ZUN's newer tracks have been a bit hit and miss. I personally think it might be because he's being more experimental with the instrumentation though. Last time there was a Touhou soundtrack I didn't love, the instruments were just really different (i.e. TH12 and TH13)
Yup, experimental sounds about right. The weirdness of the soundtrack reminded me of UFO and Dateless Bar Old Adam. Touhou 17 is closer to Old Adam in the weirdness aspect. At least UFO soundtrack worked for me while Old Adam was very hit and miss.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I want like Yukari in Touhou but I dont like how Canon outright says she kidnaps humans from the outside world to feed Youkai.

I can't like a character who does that.

Last edited:

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Consider me Team Byakuren where fighting against that is a worthy endeavor. And it just is so weird to see her do nice things like in Forbidden Scrollery and then its outright stated she's a mass killer.

But I guess ZUN doesn't find it a big deal.
A big part of Touhou world-building is the really weird and alien morality that Youkai live by and how the human character's own morals and standards are shaped by it.

Well that and a fair bit of satire.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A big part of Touhou world-building is the really weird and alien morality that Youkai live by and how the human character's own morals and standards are shaped by it.

Well that and a fair bit of satire.

Oh, I totally understand that, I guess I just dislike the "eating humans" aspect. Like all these cute and friendly characters also just have no problem eating an innocent person's insides.

I blame this fanart I saw of Chen and Ran realistically eating some guy's entrails I saw. Bleh.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like NitorInc (that Touhou / WarioWare style game still in development) is getting an update on May 31.

Also I think there was a thread earlier this week, but the Touhou 17 demo is now available on Steam. It also just so happened that Tokyo Active Neets uploaded a cover of Megalovania a few days ago. Weird coincidence on that.

Oh, I totally understand that, I guess I just dislike the "eating humans" aspect. Like all these cute and friendly characters also just have no problem eating an innocent person's insides.

I blame this fanart I saw of Chen and Ran realistically eating some guy's entrails I saw. Bleh.

You can just pretend / headcanon that most of the playable cast don't eat humans. There aren't many characters where we 100% know they eat / have eaten humans (there's Yamame, and one of the Oni characters and I think that's it so far). There are also certain species (magicians, tsukumogami) and characters (Murasa) that are harder to picture needing to eat humans.

You can also just be like me, and have all your favourite characters be non-youkai lol

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I just got my copy of Forbidden Scrollery Vol. 7 (aka, the last volume). Looks like my collection is finally complete!

aIXe8P7g.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality, I can't into phone cameras at all. It looked fine in the preview...

(I can't believe it's been a year and a half since Yen Press started releasing these)

Aside from having some (black and white) magazine art from Comp Ace, the final volume has an author's note from ZUN that reveals something interesting about Forbidden Scrollery's ending:

Hello, ZUN here. The series has come to an end!

The original concept was that Kosuzu would be torn between humans from the village and humans from [outside it] like Reimu, but ultimately it turned into a story about how the people around Kosuzu are in conflict about how to treat her.

A youkai saw how Reimu and Marisa would not stop treating Kosuzu with kid gloves and offered a helping hand. Thus, Kosuzu became an "outlaw" of a human like Reimu and the others. And they lived happily ever after.

This is pretty interesting to hear. I was personally convinced that ZUN wrote the ending early on. I say this because it feels like, in both FS and WaHH, ZUN completely forgets / stops caring about the main premise in each series and just starts writing about whatever e.g. FS having youkai politics, WaHH having all sorts of shenanigans, like Tenshi and Shion making people eat grass or Reimu and Kasen turning the Hakurei Shrine into a friggin theme park)

I'm kinda disappointed now that he went for a safer ending. It also seems like all the backlash might have been warranted (i.e. it wasn't fans having the wrong expectations, like with SSiB)

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I recently stumbled onto these "Touhou theme in a different game's musical style" remixes.

The channel that's (re-)uploading these mostly has EoSD-style remixes, though some of their pick are inspired (there's the remix of Hecatia's theme that sounds super on-point, there's also a theme from that 10 Carat Torte doujin game that ZUN composed for)

Nice, a Touhou game I can actually beat! Lol

Seriously though, I'm happy both games are going to be readily available on Steam. TD moreso because it's my personal favourite game overall (it's not just bc I can actually beat it, I love TD as an overall package with the art, music, cast etc.) though DDC is also really great too.

(Also I'm kinda liking ZUN working backwards. I feel like it builds hype for the older games; if we went chronologically starting with PCB, it'd probably only be better in the short term tbh).

If I had to guess, SA and UFO are next up. Apparently we lost the source to the original window games (EoSD, PCB, IN) but I don't think that matters -- he still distributes the games.

Oh dang, I thought ZUN only lost the source code for EoSD

Didn't realize it was for ALL the Classic games. That's unfortunate to hear

CRQ

Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say I love DDC! I love most of the characters introduced and imo it has some of the best music tracks we've heard from modern Touhou.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say I love DDC! I love most of the characters introduced and imo it has some of the best music tracks we've heard from modern Touhou.
Glad to see some DDC love here. It's my third favorite Touhou game. I know some of the gimmicks turn some off of it, but I really like it.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Today is Mukyu~ day ,,Ծ‸Ծ,,

Also known as Patchouli day, or Patchy day. Just thought you should know!

HJfsQcs.png

Patchouli's never been my favourite Touhou character (even before I wrote off EoSD's cast as overrated)

...But damn if her theme isn't great. When I first got into Touhou (almost... six years ago wow. I quickly double checked and it was one year more than I thought), it wasn't until I got to her stage that I went "okay Touhou has legit music"

(I've also always liked the PaRappa/Patchouli parody from Touhou M-1 Grand Prix... since I'm posting Touhou/PaRappa videos, there's also this MMD recreation of a PaRappa 2 Stage and this MMD parody of another video that are worth watching)

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
Right, when it comes to purple haired characters in the series, she also ranks at the bottom for me.

I prefer these other ones! It really bothers me that the official Touhou LINE Satori stickers have pink hair, instead of purple, and that she isn't smug as fuck. ZUN's Satori is the only Satori I will accept.

Fl8DYgS.png
c5uk6eS.png
VygU0fJ.png

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Wild and Horned Hermit's final chapter was recently released. Kinda crazy that the series ran for almost 9 years (it just missed about my like a month, but it's still impressive). I kinda wish it ran for a little longer though. Just for more WaHH Tenshi, because Tenshi was an amazing late addition to WaHH's core cast.

As for the ending, it was kinda meh tbh. It didn't even really feel like an ending at all. I'm kinda temped to go back and read through the series again, since I feel like I'm missing something (also bc I barely remember the earl chapters).

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I liked WaHH's ending. It tied things up well enough and it established an interesting relationship between the main characters moving forward, without feeling rushed like FS.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I have been reading Curiosities of Lotus Asia. Holy crap, this Rinnosuke guy is amazing. He is basically the personification of Dunning-Kruger and mansplaining combined, haha. He couldn't be a better lens through which modernity is observed in Touhou. Really lends itself to the satirical undertone of the series. Mainly though, it is a funny book.

Lore wise, I did appreciate tidbits of Marisa's past. Funniest moment has to be Sakuya being a passive aggressive asshole to Remilia and Rinnosuke.

Last edited:

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
Today is the 7th July, which is Rumia day! そーなのか~

On this day, the Tanabata festival also takes place! Where the two celestial deities, Orihime and Hikoboshi meet together to celebrate their love, but only once a year! After that, they both get separated by the 🌌

Anyway, here's Rumia carrying a 🎋

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Up to 9 volumes in Wild and Horned Hermit. It's my favorite ZUN written manga out of all of them. It's all about the vices of these characters. Every story is about someone doing something greedy, stupid and/or horrible, and I just find it really funny. Alternate title: It's Always Sunny in Gensokyo.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at how fast ZUN's releasing these tbh

I wish these included Tasofro's games though (then we'd have Hisoutensoku and Hidden Masquerade available already)

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
oh man a SWR/Soku bundle on Steam that autoconfigured everything would be great.

Or a remastered Soku that included the SWR story but that's a pipe dream.

Dlent

Nov 2, 2017
Both ULiL and AoCF are Twilight Frontier games, and those are both on Steam. I don't think the earlier fighting games are an impossibility. I doubt anything is going to be remastered, though.

Up to 9 volumes in Wild and Horned Hermit. It's my favorite ZUN written manga out of all of them. It's all about the vices of these characters. Every story is about someone doing something greedy, stupid and/or horrible, and I just find it really funny. Alternate title: It's Always Sunny in Gensokyo.

It matches the comedic tone of the games well in a way that the other manga didn't. I think I might still like Forbidden Scrollery more, but WaHH's episodic stories are great.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
So I went to Otakon last Saturday, and they had a Touhou panel in it, which was cool. It was about Touhou's influence on Doujin. Too bad out of the four panels I attended, it was the only one that was bad. It was good in terms of fan pandering, but I didn't feel like I got a wider perspective on things or any interesting perspective for veteran Touhou fans. It was less about Touhou's impact and just about Touhou. And the attempts at covering the actual topic were too surface level. As for any appeal for non fans, it was just bad. As my sister can tell you, it didn't raise her interest in Touhou at all. The silly inside jokes/memes didn't help at all in terms of accessibility. Finally, it was somewhat amateurish and not well prepared, and they let the audience gain a bit too much control.

That said, the people who presented it worked on NitorInc, and the footage of the game looks amazing.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
These are kinda old, but I recently discovered, and have been listening to, Heavenly Gathering of Clouds and Adventures in Inferno. Both of them are Touhou style soundtracks without games. AiI is PC98 styled, while HGoC is more modern Touhou. My favorites of the bunch are:

HGoC also has this weird track

And I'm not sure if I love it or hate it. I legit started laughing the first time I heard *that section* with the trumpet

That said, the people who presented it worked on NitorInc, and the footage of the game looks amazing.

Yeah NitorInc doesn't look too bad at all. It's cool to see the western fanbase working/collaborating on a game like this. Like I was surprised one an artist I follow / recognize had their art in one of the mini-games

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Some person is doing an audio play adaptation of Symposium of Post Mysticism, which I think has the most interesting material in terms of Touhou lore. They released a preview:

Tech-Hit

Jun 7, 2019
oh man a SWR/Soku bundle on Steam that autoconfigured everything would be great.

Or a remastered Soku that included the SWR story but that's a pipe dream.
I think that with more and more touhou fangames getting on Steam and with the attention the anime game scene is getting, we might actually see that happen!

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Active Neets have a Touhou 16 medley video up on their page

And damn. I already liked TH16's soundtrack but the all the tracks sound great in their jazzy style.

Some person is doing an audio play adaptation of Symposium of Post Mysticism, which I think has the most interesting material in terms of Touhou lore. They released a preview:

Yeah I've been following this for a while. They have an official page on Tumblr that notes some of the writing changes they're making

I think that with more and more touhou fangames getting on Steam and with the attention the anime game scene is getting, we might actually see that happen!

While Luna Nights does seem to be doing quite well, whether we get the other fighters is really gonna depend on Tasofro

They've only released two games on Steam (one fan game and one official game) and the official game that is on there (AoCF) was the most current game at the time. They basically don't seem interested in releasing older games on Steam at the moment.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I just had a crack at this game. Quick thoughts:
  • The patterns in this game really remind me of IN. Especially when it gets to the later stages.

• I'm kind of eh on the music. I'm just not feeling the instruments. That Stage 6 Boss theme is pretty cool though

• I didn't play the demo, so I was very lost on the new sub-mechanic lol. The shield special (with the green things that erase bullets) is very cool though. I was expecting just UFO again, but this was a weird mishmash of Cherry + UFO + a mechanic from the recent Ido shooters (where you get powered up shots).

• Dunno if it's just me being bad but Stage 3 already seems kinda crazy for Normal.

• Just lol at Engrish like "Goast" and "Idoratrize World")

• I didn't realize the modern shooters gave you more than 3 credits / retries on game over.

I'm gonna have another crack at the game.

Dlent

Nov 2, 2017
There's going to be an online tournament this weekend celebrating the tenth anniversary of Hisoutensoku. The event will be streamed, with prizes for the winner, and a raffle for any participants. It's apparently going to be the biggest Soku tournament ever, as it's at nearly a hundred entrants now, so check it out!

https://hisouten.challonge.com/hisou10

Stream link. Starts August 17, 2019 at 2:00 PM EDT

I also love some of the bullet patterns on the new stage 6 boss. It does kind of remind me of some IN stuff, now that you mention it.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot this game came out thismonth, haha.

I'm kind of eh on the music. I'm just not feeling the instruments. That Stage 6 Boss theme is pretty cool though
Yeah, agreed. That plus extra stage boss music is pretty good. It's telling that I like the title card music more than most of these. Which btw has to be my favorite rendition of the eastern wonderland theme.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Had a few more tries at the game.

I'm surprised how much I like new sub-system tbh. I thought I'd dislike it like I dislike UFO, but it's a lot more manageable than I thought. So far I've been running Otter-Marisa (because Otter Shield is too good, and because Master Spark is really good and gets me enough time to pick up all the animal goasts). I've only been able to get to Stage 4... though tbf Kutaka is kinda nuts.

I'm still feeling mixed on the music. The Stage 4 theme and the Stage 5 boss theme are better than I initially thought. While the final boss theme is kinda eh now that I've relistened to it. It's got the same problem as Egoistic Flowers for me, where that piano section is really nice but is overused / repeated way, way too much.

As for the characters... no opinions so far. I'm kinda waiting for an English patch to know what their deal is. Kutaka and the final boss look really, really cool though.

There's going to be an online tournament this weekend celebrating the tenth anniversary of Hisoutensoku. The event will be streamed, with prizes for the winner, and a raffle for any participants. It's apparently going to be the biggest Soku tournament ever, as it's at nearly a hundred entrants now, so check it out!

https://hisouten.challonge.com/hisou10

Stream link. Starts August 17, 2019 at 2:00 PM EDT

I also love some of the bullet patterns on the new stage 6 boss. It does kind of remind me of some IN stuff, now that you mention it.

That sounds cool. It's a shame that it's at 4AM in my timezone :/

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I did my first attempt at hard difficulty and managed to reach stage 5. In terms of the boss pattern design, stage 4 and 5 are very puzzle oriented. It's hard to figure out, but once you figure it out, it will be easy to repeatedly beat them. Anyways, very creative patterns, so far I really like the game.