• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I was gonna try the demo today, but it doesn't seem to work on my latop :/

I would like to promote the Touhou podcast Outside World Occultism. They are very knowledgeable about Touhou lore and draw topics from all corners of the official Touhou media. They go pretty in depth and are not beset by the meme interpretations that is pervasive in Western fandom.

I've been listening to this recently. It's a pretty decent podcast, though (at least in the earlier episodes I've watched so far), they tend to get sidetracked really easily when discussing topics. The site/app they're hosted on kinda sucks for mobile listening. Still, this is a solid listen, and it does get into more than just Touhou Lore™

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Gensokyo Night Festival seems to have gone into Early Access (per Gematsu)

There was a ZUN interview this month. It's pretty damn interesting:

It's cool to hear that it's popular with young girls and women. The podcast mentioned earlier had a small (unsourced) segment on this, but it's great to hear it from ZUN himself. If this interview gets translated, I'm gonna have to quote it for the OT.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going through Wandering Souls rn

orzVU3N.png

So for some context: Wandering Souls was actually one of the first Touhou games I ever played (yes seriously). I have footage recorded of it from 2013 (it'd be almost exactly six years ago come November). It was before I'd played anything beyond TH6 and TH8, hell it was before I even played the fighting games (where the sprites are "borrowed" from)

Coming back to it, the game's simultaneously better and worse than I remember.

The asset reuse bothers me more than last I played it. I think one half is because I've played so many other fan games, with original art, that the reused art actually sticks out to me now. The other half of it is me being so used to the fighters that I keep running into bullets (I legit have to remind myself that 'no, you can't graze bullets here')

The gameplay also isn't my favourite. Like, I think the feel of the game is quite nice. Dashing, jumping, platforming and activating special attacks is very satisfying. And the secrets in each level are honestly so much fun. But the gameplay doesn't really come together nicely imo. The combo system is repetitive and annoying (please let me use the attack I actually want to use). The lack of hitstun on attacks is really bad-feeling. And dodging bullets always feels awkward (I think a grazing mechanic on the dash, or maybe some movement option between "walking and dashing" would have helped with this).

I also personally don't mesh with the RPG mechanics in this game at ALL. The weapon level up system seems fine in theory, but locking your special attacks behind weapon levels is lame and tedious. A level up tree for special attacks would have been more than fine (instead, weapons could just have passive buffs and stats to differentiate them). Status effects also seems like a smart design decision, but the way they're balanced isn't good (which is "status effects are a pain in the ass, unless you have status resistant items, in which case status effects are a non-entity)

This all sounds very negative, but honestly I'm having a blast with this game. I'm just a bit disappointed because I really like ARPG's, and I'm very, very, very picky about how I like them to play. (I also think that Wandering Souls is very, very close to being a really damn good ARPG... it's just a few design decisions that kinda let it down, which disappoints me).

Dlent

Nov 2, 2017
I wasn't too hot on that preview picture, but scrolling down the artist's timeline, there are some great sketches there. I'm just afraid it might get a bit samefacey if he has to meet mangaka deadlines.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Wandering Souls. Clear time was a little over 12 hours. Turns out that last time I played, I stopped at literally the last level of the game. Only the final boss (and all the secrets) were new. There's actually post game content, but it seems awfully grindy and repetitive (one level was just the first stage, but enemies are now scaled to your current level). The game is really solid overall, though personally some decision decisions didn't really work for me.

Only other thing I want to mention is that, apparently, Legacy of Double Dealing Kingdom is a thing that exists.

I wasn't too hot on that preview picture, but scrolling down the artist's timeline, there are some great sketches there. I'm just afraid it might get a bit samefacey if he has to meet mangaka deadlines.

I had the exact same reaction ("this doesn't look too great..." to "oh they're not too bad"). Kinda unrelated, but it made me think of how WaHH's early chapters have a very different style compared to the later ones.

Anyway, the other announced manga also has a fanartist working on it, right? It's pretty cool of ZUN to do that.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Finally started on Labyrinth of Touhou 1's postgame. Bloodstained Boss 1 and Rumia v2 were pretty easy, no post-final boss grinding was needed for either of them. Bloodstained Boss 2 was a damn cheat, but I managed to cheat harder. It went "boss transforms" > "Yukari has her turn immediately after this" "gives everyone a turn" "swap in 100% buffed Marisa" "game over for the boss"

They got *annihilated* before they could get a shot off. It was just straight up overkill, I hit em for 400k... the boss' second phase only has 200k health lmao. Unfortunately, all the other bosses I've run into are way stronger (and faster) so I had to begin grinding again. I've only cleared Youmu v2 so far. Had to get lucky with the stunlocks on her fight.

Oh and I also edited the portraits I didn't like.

4GyTqdg.png

yLSoGFK.png

XdvDNWb.png

I mostly used art from Touhou Daiundousai (which I didn't know of before I looked around for portrait art). I also used some of Morino Hon's pieces (for hobo-Meiling and Nitori)

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
A quick update on recent Touhou works:

ZUN revealed some details about Touhou 17.5 in the recent WBaWC interview in Strange Creators of Outside World. Seems like the plot might be related to WBaWC, as the Eagle clan from (whose boss wasn't revealed in Touhou 17) is mentioned as being 'front and center' of Touhou 17.5. (Some fans already noticed the Touhou 17 ties through the title, but the interview basically confirms this)

"Touhou Chireikiden" already has a new chapter released, and the series actually has a subtitle: Cheating Detective Satori. Interestingly, it seems that this series is being published online and for free, though this release is not in English (details here). There's supposed to be a new chapter by the end of November

And while the other new Touhou manga hasn't had any new chapers yet, a new character with a whale hat has been teased (Touhou Wiki has the collage where they 'appear'). This series should be starting by the end of November.

Hey, anyone knows what's a good place to buy the games in physical format?

(I actually had to look this up, as I just noticed the link in the OP is outdated)

Amazon or J-List (NSFW) seem to get linked to a lot (Touhou Wiki link has a specific page on this with links to each game; also here's a Reddit post on the topic from a month ago)

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I just skimmed through the OP and missed the link... I will probably grab a couple from J-List

That's my bad, I actually revised the OT recently, and I didn't realize I kinda buried the link in the OT

The original version of the OT made that bit much more obvious

(At least I've now got a much clearer OT, with a more up-to-date purchasing guide)

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
So the first chapter of the new manga, Lotus Eaters' Sobering, is out. It's pretty good, new girl seems really mysterious so far (her whale hat is adorable too). I really like how it's channeling FS so far, with the focus on the village, and the story being a 2-parter (I'm hoping the whole series is FS-style 2-parters tbh)

Dlent

Nov 2, 2017
A few pages in, and I think I'm supposed to be drinking while reading this.

Now that I've read all of it, I'm really liking it. The art is good, in particular that full page spread of the boar facing off against Reimu looked fantastic. Liking the mystery so far, but it's obviously still to early to give any real judgement on it. I loved that even the ever alcoholic Reimu instantly blacked out after taking a swig of Suika's sake. Looking forward to more.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
The new manga is really cool! I really enjoy the art and I love to see the villagers more involved. It's so awesome seeing the world beyond just the games sometimes (I haven't read much of the mangas yet!).

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a quick Christmas themed / end-of-year roundup post:

Yumemey (who does short videos with their Touhou fumos) put out this Christmas themed video

Ninoseyasunori put out a new Christmas themed short featuring Narumi and Kogasa.

Kaliningrad, who started doing short Touhou animations earlier this year, recently uploaded a UFO themed video for it's belated 10th Anniversary (which was back in August)

There's also a new episode of Fantasy Kaleidoscope on their official channel. I don't really keep up with the series but the new episode seems to be based on Imperishable Night's Extra Stage. Speaking of which, Yuuhei Satellite apparently did a concert in Malaysia earlier this year, and they performed a few of the FK openings there.

Lastly, it was discovered that ZUN did an interview with a Swedish magazine. I don't think it's been translated into English but there is a neat self-portrait of ZUN flying around (that I'm not sure I can post due to the rule about scans). Oh and the next chapter of Lotus Eaters is out

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Yo figured it was worth letting you folks know that Azure Reflections (the Horitzontal Touhou fangame) is half off on the Switch Eshop (at least the American one) for another day I believe! I've been playing it, it seems pretty neat, if easier than the usual touhou fare (I still got a game over on Sakuya on Normal though, good lord Im rusty at bullet hells rofl).

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
So currently I'm playing through Genso Wanderer Reloaded. I was originally going to complete the base version first, but I learned that it was unnecessary and you can just straight up import your file whether it's complete or not. Reloaded specifically has a different translation as well as a lot of quality of life changes that are much appreciated (e.g. there's now a section for terrains, traps, items etc. in the system guide). The game is pretty fun, and in my case, there's been a lot of randomly generated hilarity:

As far as story progress goes, I've done Futo, Satori and Kokoro's sections and I'm now starting on Futo's side story. It's been pretty easy so far, though the Sixth Trial has been a huge difficulty spike. You get really stupid hard enemy types as early as Floor 3, and your options are either grinding a ton between floors, or bringing lots and lots of Misfortune Talismans to weaken the enemies.

(Also, on my Labyrinth of Touhou run: I was able to unlock all the characters and get to Floor 30 before the end of the December. I've been doing light grinding everyday, just to make sure I'm making some progress. I think all I have left to do is the V2 Bloody Seal bosses and then the final 3 bosses)

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
One of the funnier Touhou things as of late is the hope for Reimu to be added to Smash Bros. Not because it's impossible, but because it isn't.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
One of the funnier Touhou things as of late is the hope for Reimu to be added to Smash Bros. Not because it's impossible, but because it isn't.

While I would like it to come true, I think it's very unlikely. Maybe for next DLC batch, but I doubt it for this batch. It's only very recently that ZUN has expressed wanting a Touhou rep for Smash, but plans were probably drawn up way before that. Doubt ZUN would be talking about that if it were in the works due to NDA or something. I can see something like Sans happening, though.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
While I would like it to come true, I think it's very unlikely. Maybe for next DLC batch, but I doubt it for this batch. It's only very recently that ZUN has expressed wanting a Touhou rep for Smash, but plans were probably drawn up way before that. Doubt ZUN would be talking about that if it were in the works due to NDA or something. I can see something like Sans happening, though.
Yeah I don't expect Reimu to show up tomorrow either, mainly for the reasons you gave.
It's still fun to imagine though.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Apparently that interview where he expressed it was from like March. He only mentioned Smash as an example too, he wants to do more crossovers with Touhou to get more exposure.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't expect Reimu to show up tomorrow either, mainly for the reasons you gave.
It's still fun to imagine though.
I will say, I think her potential moveset are fun to think about, and would be quiet a unique addition to the roster. Simple B could be the needle or amulet attack. Duplex barrier could have a short duration barrier like Fox and Ness, except the projectile comes from another direction. Ying yang orb heavy projectile could be something you hit to use it. Final smash is the fantasy seal bomb. I don't know how her mastery of the air could be implemented, but that is key I think.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I will say, I think her potential moveset are fun to think about, and would be quiet a unique addition to the roster. Simple B could be the needle or amulet attack. Duplex barrier could have a short duration barrier like Fox and Ness, except the projectile comes from another direction. Ying yang orb heavy projectile could be something you hit to use it. Final smash is the fantasy seal bomb. I don't know how her mastery of the air could be implemented, but that is key I think.
well first off you can give her a float in the air like peach. honestly id love to see how grazing could be implemented into her moveset. one of the reasons why i want reimu in so bad is because i think her actual moveset just sounds super fun. getting rid of my bias/love for touhou, she'd still be just fun to play.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
What is Taito known for exactly?

Wow... how times change, huh.

Taito made Space Invaders, Bubble Bobble, Arkanoid, Puzzle Bobble, Darius, Ninja Warriors... tons of classic games, primarily in arcades. Square-Enix has owned them for a decade or so and they actually pulled out of console development completely for a while but they're making a comeback now. Groove Coaster's one of their recent games you may be aware of.

This Touhou game looks a lot like Puzzle Bobble, a very popular puzzle game they made that's been cloned a billion times.

ZUN also worked at Taito for a while during the PS2 era, incidentally.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
What is Taito known for exactly?

Space Invaders and Bubble Bobble / Bust A Move are what I think of

It's just weird to hear a company I kinda recognise be involved with Touhou. Most fangames seem to be self-published (on Steam) or published under newly formed publishing groups (like unties and MediaScape).

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Wow... how times change, huh.

Taito made Space Invaders, Bubble Bobble, Arkanoid, Puzzle Bobble, Darius, Ninja Warriors... tons of classic games, primarily in arcades. Square-Enix has owned them for a decade or so and they actually pulled out of console development completely for a while but they're making a comeback now.

This Touhou game looks a lot like Puzzle Bobble, a very popular puzzle game they made that's been cloned a billion times.

ZUN also worked at Taito for a while during the PS2 era, incidentally.
Huh, I have heard of all those games, played a few of them myself. Didn't know they were the same company.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I 1cc'd Touhou 17 hard mode, my first hard mode clear ever. Funny how in all the previous playthroughs I die in stage 5 or before, and then all of a sudden I get a skill bump and make it with one life and two bombs left.

My thoughts on the game: I like it better than Touhou 15 and 16, just better boss patterns, character designs, and gameplay gimmick. Stage 1-2 somehow feels slower and unengaging than usual, making every new playthrough tedious. This is a game that is way better in the latter half, the opposite of LoLK. Like most previous Touhou, the difficulty scale is weird. Stage 5 is easier than stage 4. Stage 4 is difficult because of fast bullets, high concentration, and precise timing requirement to prevent things from becoming overwhelming. Yatchie would not be so bad if it weren't for the non spells, which are ludicrously fast and narrow. Stage 5 boss is one of the easiest one in all of Touhou, and that is because Mayumi's pattern are some of the most static and routable. Keiki is the hardest, a lot of it owing to the fact that 2 of its spell cards requires really precise dodging, and another one really tests of your reading and control ability. The final card is theoretically pretty easy, the key is to realize if you get the timing and movement repeated the same way every time, the pattern is static. In essence, memorizing a route is the hardest part to capturing it. I personally didn't do it because after 600 tries and getting 3/4 of the way there, I decided it was tedious.

I also tried the extra stage. I don't have much thought about it yet, but it is easier than I expected so far and Saki's theme is really good.

Music sort of disappoints overall, like Touhou 16 and 9, but that said, it has my favorite title card in the whole series. My 5 favorites are:
Title card
Dark Pegasus
Electric Heritage
Beast Metropolis
Unlocated Hell
Idolatrize World

Edit: Forgot to mention one thing, this game sometimes has really poor bullet visibility. Especially with wolf beast power up. Yeah, not good in a bullet hell game if you can't tell the background from the bullet apart.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
SuJXzJA.jpg

Seems like I'm nearly finished with Genso Wanderer Reloaded, as all I have left are Marisa and Sanae's side stories.

Futo's side story was painful to complete. That last dungeon with the Big Tenshi's sniping you from the other side of the dungeon, and Miko's fight becoming unwinnable if she absorbs Youmu's Half-Phantom, all of it is super frustrating.

Aya's side story was weird. It's basically a prequel, an advertisement AND an epilogue for Double Focus all at the same time. The actual gameplay portion wasn't too bad, it's just one short dungeon with one really annoying boss. The hardest thing about the dungeon is actually scrounging up good items, as there's no Nito Fusion and the shop kinda sucks. My tip would be to make use of Compound Gaps; use those gaps with Antidotes will give you Good Medicine, and those can be turned into Yagokoro Cure All's. Mamizou always sells at least 1 in her shop.

The boss for Aya's story was tough... until I got a Unicorn Horn to drop. If you have that weapon, all you have to do is go to the bottom right of the boss (but be 3, 4 steps away), and then you hit it until it's dead. From that position, you don't get hit by the fog, you don't get pushed back by its special and you don't have to dodge it's instant kill beam. You just gotta worry about not dying (you can easily do this with Cure All's and spellcards)

I also gave that bonus Dungeon in Rei'Sen's room a spin and oh my god this is too much. No items, no partners, no Nito Fusion, unidentified items AND it's 99 floors long. The best I could do was Floor 56 with careful save scumming... had to stop there as I got stuck in an unwinnable scenario. I have no idea how you're supposed to beat this without getting incredibly lucky (like getting good equips and enough food in the earlier floors)

Anyway, the game is really fun. There's occasionally some eye-roll worthy anime bullshit with the writing, but the core gameplay is really addicting without being as frustrating as some other roguelikes I've played (e.g. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon).

I 1cc'd Touhou 17 hard mode, my first hard mode clear ever. Funny how in all the previous playthroughs I die in stage 5 or before, and then all of a sudden I get a skill bump and make it with one life and two bombs left.

My thoughts on the game: I like it better than Touhou 15 and 16, just better boss patterns, character designs, and gameplay gimmick. Stage 1-2 somehow feels slower and unengaging than usual, making every new playthrough tedious. This is a game that is way better in the latter half, the opposite of LoLK. Like most previous Touhou, the difficulty scale is weird. Stage 5 is easier than stage 4. Stage 4 is difficult because of fast bullets, high concentration, and precise timing requirement to prevent things from becoming overwhelming. Yatchie would not be so bad if it weren't for the non spells, which are ludicrously fast and narrow. Stage 5 boss is one of the easiest one in all of Touhou, and that is because Mayumi's pattern are some of the most static and routable. Keiki is the hardest, a lot of it owing to the fact that 2 of its spell cards requires really precise dodging, and another one really tests of your reading and control ability. The final card is theoretically pretty easy, the key is to realize if you get the timing and movement repeated the same way every time, the pattern is static. In essence, memorizing a route is the hardest part to capturing it. I personally didn't do it because after 600 tries and getting 3/4 of the way there, I decided it was tedious.

I also tried the extra stage. I don't have much thought about it yet, but it is easier than I expected so far and Saki's theme is really good.

Music sort of disappoints overall, like Touhou 16 and 9, but that said, it has my favorite title card in the whole soundtrack. My 5 favorites are:
Title card
Dark Pegasus
Electric Heritage
Beast Metropolis
Unlocated Hell
Idolatrize World

Congats on the Hard 1cc! I still haven't really gone back to Touhou 17 yet.. but I have tried to go back to Touhou 16 and I strongly agree it's a step up from that.

HSiFS is a total TD-style situation again for me; I like everything in TD and HSiFS *except* for how the game actually plays. The balancing just feels weird in both games (though in different ways. I'm specifically talking about Normal here btw), the spellcard patterns are all kinda uninspired (except for Mamizou in TD) and I don't really like the sub-systems in either game. I haven't revisited LoLK, but I remember liking that game up until you get to Clownpiece.

But yeah, Touhou 17 is pretty cool. I actually really want to go back to it after I complete Genso Wanderer Reloaded. Last I played, I think I was planning on doing Otter-Marisa with a focus on picking up Eagle Spirits. I think my plan was "Otter-Marisa gives you an extra long bomb and Otters for Keiki's final spellcard" and "Eagle-Roaring Mode lets you kill bosses so fast, you don't have to learn how to dodge some spellcards"

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, WBaWC extra stage was pretty easy. The fight is mostly straightforward, since most of it is all about really quick attacks and reactions. You just have to develop your reading skills to an adequate level.

HSiFS is a total TD-style situation again for me; I like everything in TD and HSiFS *except* for how the game actually plays. The balancing just feels weird in both games (though in different ways. I'm specifically talking about Normal here btw), the spellcard patterns are all kinda uninspired (except for Mamizou in TD) and I don't really like the sub-systems in either game. I haven't revisited LoLK, but I remember liking that game up until you get to Clownpiece.
Heh, I actually like TD, even if I like seven other games better. It has a more brisk pacing to it that I appreciatel. I also like a lot of the spell cards in it. Kykoko's echo based attacks, Miyako''s spirit abosption, Seiga's meat shield, Futo's spinning pattern at the end, and Miko's flashy attacks are all very cool concepts. Also, I think Miyako, Seiga, and Miko are really solid fights. At least we agree that Mamizou's fight is good.

LoLK is pretty good all the way up until boss 4, and then the game just gets weird. I find Sagume's fight to be kind of lame, and probably the second easiest fight. And that is coming after the ludicrously hard fight from Doremy. Clownpiece is bad because her attacks are either easy or stupid hard, and nothing in between. Her non spells in particular becomes horrible if RNG dictates that she goes lower on the screen. Not only that, two of her spell cards are easy on lunatic, and ridiculously hard on normal. And then of course, Junko is just micro dodging hell.

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
8jEm9a6.png

I think I'm about to finish up with Genso Wanderer Reloaded

Marisa's side story was pretty fun. Gameplay wise, I really liked how the dungeon is "here's lots of crafting trash, start filling out those recipes for your Nito Fusion" and how all the good loot is in secret rooms you need to search for. The final boss ended up being pretty annoying, until I realized "you can use Marisa's spellcards to break down the boss' barriers without moving to the top of the screen" and that attempting to move up makes the boss harder.

Sanae's "side story" was actually the next mandatory story section. Since all the side stuff is astronomically harder than the main game dungeons, and since I'd just got off finishing all the side stories, this was soo much easier to get through. Her story has the same rules as Aya's side story (no Nito Fusion, you have to rely on Compound and Combo gaps to combine items) except the final boss is easier, so I managed to power through pretty easy.

I'm now up to the last story dungeon. I just went screw it and brought all my best equipment from all the dungeons and side stories which includes... like, two dozen Refined Green Teas, a dozen Revivals, Swift Medicines and Yagokoro Cure-All's, half a dozen Substitution Dolls, two Hourai Medicines, an Invincibility Medicine, a decked out Yuugi Lance + Oni Cup setup etc.

It seems like overkill but honestly that Miko fight from the Futo side story was so nuts, I just want to be prepared

Heh, I actually like TD, even if I like seven other games better. It has a more brisk pacing to it that I appreciatel. I also like a lot of the spell cards in it. Kykoko's echo based attacks, Miyako''s spirit abosption, Seiga's meat shield, Futo's spinning pattern at the end, and Miko's flashy attacks are all very cool concepts. Also, I think Miyako, Seiga, and Miko are really solid fights. At least we agree that Mamizou's fight is good.

I wasn't thinking about the spellcards as much as the Trance system. I just don't like how the system feels, it's too easy when you know what you're doing, and it's too punishing if you mess up. I actually don't like the spellcards for most bosses eithe thoughr. Kyouko, Miko and Mamizou are the most impressive, yep. But I always thought Yoshika and Futo were underwhelming except for their last spellcards. I even think Seiga's patterns are straight up ugly, even if I love the cheating with Yoshika.

It doesn't help that it's following up UFO, which always had way cooler (if harder) patterns, IMO

Everything you said about Touhou 15 sounds about right, especially the bit with Clownpiece, though I personally love Sagume's fight. I always liked her cool patterns with the yin-yang drones

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Quick roundup of Touhou news:
  • Touhou Fan Game Jam 5 wrapped up recently, for anyone interested.

• According to Siliconera, Touhou Mahjong Riichis is set to release on January 30 (in Japan)

• According to Gematsu, Touhou Spell Bubble is set to release on February 6 (also in Japan). They've also shown off some gameplay of the title (thread here) and it looks pretty good. I'm kind of shocked they've been able to get the tracks they have (there's Bad Apple, one of the Fantasy Kaleidoscope OP's and Night of Nights so far)

• And there was a Hisoutensoku tournament earlier this week:

(There's also apparently a side tournament happening for the game at Evo Japan this weekend, but I have no idea where, or rather if, that's even been streamed anywhere.)

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
According to Gematsu, Touhou Spell Bubble is set to release on February 6 (also in Japan). They've also shown off some gameplay of the title (thread here) and it looks pretty good. I'm kind of shocked they've been able to get the tracks they have (there's Bad Apple, one of the Fantasy Kaleidoscope OP's and Night of Nights so far)
Wow a lot of groups I recognize in the list. They have quiet the selection. Also, it's nice that it's voice acted. I hope they have stuff from later Touhou games too.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
hi touhou thread

touhou gensou mahjong for switch is out today on the japanese eshop!

i believe it's 10% off until mid february

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I still frequent that forum from time to time. I wonder what's going to happen to it.

RIP

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to finishing Genso Wanderer: Reloaded

Being a manic hoarder really paid off for this final boss lmao. Anyway Genso Wanderer: Reloaded was really fun. Final clear time was around 55 hours (I forgot how addicting Mystery Dungeon games can be). I didn't complete everything (no Wells, no DLC, no bonus dungeons, and I only did the mandatory Bunnyland dungeons) but I had a great time. I hope to god they're localizing the next GW game (Lotus Labyrinth). I don't care if it's a sequel / prequel / prequel remake, I officially need more unofficial Touhou dungeon crawling in my life

The head admin of MotK, helvetica, has passed away.
MotK was a big gateway into Touhou for a lot of people, including myself.
RIP.

That's sad to hear

I've never had an MotK account, but I still tend browse it for official news or for help with older fan games.

hi touhou thread

touhou gensou mahjong for switch is out today on the japanese eshop!

i believe it's 10% off until mid february

Thanks for the heads up!

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
The End of Shrinemaiden As We Know It

With the passing of helvetica, nobody had the root passwords to the website. If (when) an error shows up, the site will be down for good.

Damn, feels like the end of an era here. I haven't really lurked the shrine maiden forums in years, but it did always seem more receptive to conversation back in its glory days compared to the Touhou Reddit is now a days (which honestly seems to mostly be people posting fan art).

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
This bit of news is late, but Chinese, Japanese, and Western Touhou players have decided to gather each weekend from beggining of February to early March for competitive Touhou plays. They gave it the corny name Touhou World Cup.

The format is as follows: There are three teams, China, Japan, and West. Each team is represented by one player each category. Each category is a different Touhou game, subdivided into survival and scoring (Note, some categories have only two competitors instead of three). For every match, the competing players have an hour to reset. At the end of the reset period, their playthrough is locked in and they can't reset anymore. You might think it would be as simple as the one who gets the highest score or the one who dies the least wins. That's not so, as they weigh disadvantageous shot types higher, which means they are incentivized to use crappier shot types, so this makes this competition interesting. In any match up, if there are two competitors, the winner gets one point. If there are three competitors, the winner gets two points and second place gets one point. A tie distributes the points between the tying players (ie if a player gets first place and two players get second place, the two players each get 0.5).

Here is a video of the schedule, which is in the GMT+8 time zone. The video also contains a link to the stream, which itself has url to commentaries for english, chinese, and japanese. If your time zone is too awkward to watch live, no worries, the channel the video is from uploads all the streams.

So far the big highlight of the competition are:

LoLK Lunatic 1 Miss No bombs

PCB Lunatic No Miss No Bombs No barrier break first try

Almost world record scoring of TD with Reimu shot type:

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017

Akatsuki Records just dropped this Desire Drive arrange / PV. I assume the timing is to coincide with Valentine's Day

The End of Shrinemaiden As We Know It

With the passing of helvetica, nobody had the root passwords to the website. If (when) an error shows up, the site will be down for good.

Oh, thanks for the heads up (I have a few links to MotK in the OT that I'll need to back up, somehow)

The link makes it sound like they some forum migration will probably happen.

This bit of news is late, but Chinese, Japanese, and Western Touhou players have decided to gather each weekend from beggining of February to early March for competitive Touhou plays. They gave it the corny name Touhou World Cup.

The format is as follows: There are three teams, China, Japan, and West. Each team is represented by one player each category. Each category is a different Touhou game, subdivided into survival and scoring (Note, some categories have only two competitors instead of three). For every match, the competing players have an hour to reset. At the end of the reset period, their playthrough is locked in and they can't reset anymore. You might think it would be as simple as the one who gets the highest score or the one who dies the least wins. That's not so, as they weigh disadvantageous shot types higher, which means they are incentivized to use crappier shot types, so this makes this competition interesting. In any match up, if there are two competitors, the winner gets one point. If there are three competitors, the winner gets two points and second place gets one point. A tie distributes the points between the tying players (ie if a player gets first place and two players get second place, the two players each get 0.5).

Here is a video of the schedule, which is in the GMT+8 time zone. The video also contains a link to the stream, which itself has url to commentaries for english, chinese, and japanese. If your time zone is too awkward to watch live, no worries, the channel the video is from uploads all the streams.

This sounds really interesting, gonna have to watch some of these when I get the time

OP
OP
Evilisk

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Just started catching up on these Touhou World Cup videos. The HSiFS video has been fun to watch. I'd forgotten how stylish HSiFS Stage 6 is (like with the door backgrounds in the stage portion, and the fact that you're fighting in the first four stages of the game during the boss section). There's also been some useful Stage 4 and 5 strats that I'm totally cribbing next time I play that game

Shrinemaiden v3 is online. They even managed to get the old .com domain.
Warning that they don't yet auto-redirect HTTP to HTTPS except at the login/registration pages.

Already? That was fast. It sounded like there was still a month left in the old site