• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Just announced by ZUN.

https://kourindou.exblog.jp/28205045/

Looks great.
e0088742_13273355.png

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give this a try, but I feel the quality of the latest games has been getting significantly worse, so I'm not very optimistic about this one.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh...is this the first time we've gotten the title officially in English at launch?

Not saying the game is in English obviously but aren't most titles all in Japanese?

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Legit. Hope the music is just as quality. The series as a whole has to have one of the most consistently excellent soundtracks in all of gaming. Too bad it isn't appreciated enough over here.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I still need to git gud and finish 11, 15, and 16!

Probably in for this one when it comes out on steam.

OP
OP
Atom Heart Mother
Oct 25, 2017
new jersey

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
There's seventeen of these? Honestly I've always known about the series but felt intimidated by all the bullet hell videos I've seen lol

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd lie if I said I'm anywhere near being up-to-date with the franchise, but my time with past Touhou games has been mostly excellent (the danmakus, anyway, don't care for the spin-offs), so I'm glad there's more coming out. Wish they also arrived on consoles, but since they run on potato PCs as well it's not that big of an issue.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like we're getting playable Youmu again

e0088742_13283175.png

That's cool, Youmu is usually pretty fun to play (whenever she gets to be playable, at least).

Spectrum

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me I'm still stuck trying to 1cc UFO. The games come out faster than I can clear them...

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Normal Mode is titled "Shiba Inu Level"

"It's a story where animal spirits from Hell are scheming to take over the surface world by force, and you join forces with friendly animal spirits that have come to warn you in order to stop them before it starts.
The ones going towards Hell are Reimu, Marisa, and Youmu.
It's going to be a shooting game that's darker than usual, filled with animal themes, and just a tiny bit aggressive."

relinked from shmup discord
https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=23363.msg1423375#msg1423375

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I'll give this a try, but I feel the quality of the latest games has been getting significantly worse, so I'm not very optimistic about this one.

I'm with you there. 16 was alright, and 15's final boss theme is a top tier bop, but the last few entries haven't been living up to the glory days of 8 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 14.

That's said, I've actually been seriously getting back into Touhou lately (mostly because Fantastic Danmaku Festival 2 is on Steam and it's amazing!!), so this couldn't come at a better time! That subtitle is peak quirky Touhou also.

OP
OP
Atom Heart Mother
Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I'm with you there. 16 was alright, and 15's final boss theme is a top tier bop, but the last few entries haven't been living up to the glory days of 8 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 14.

That's said, I've actually been seriously getting back into Touhou lately (mostly because Fantastic Danmaku Festival 2 is on Steam and it's amazing!!), so this couldn't come at a better time! That subtitle is peak quirky Touhou also.
The OST of 16 is really great. I enjoyed 16, I love its theme. It's a bit on the boring side, but it was intended to be a straightforward game.

Also, it's always good to go back to Touhou! Great series, wish ERA appreciated it more. It's everything we love!

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I never play a touhou series but i heard you need to be newtybe to clear the game.

Only if you're playing on the hardest difficulties (which you don't have to do, Easy and Normal modes exist)

I'd never even touched a shmup before 2014 (when I started to get into the series). Now I can convincingly do Easy mode for most entries after 1 or 2 tries, and I've been able to complete a few games on Normal (though I usually have to practice / focus a lot)

The bullet and beam is everywhere.

That's a fangame (and some fangames go crazier on the bullet count than the official games)

Though I still get your point

I just came to see how dumb the name was.

Touhou titles are fine, despite what (former) SBF would have you believe

They usually refer to something about the game's plot and final villain (e.g. "Wily Beast" in this game's title already seems to reference the use of animals in this game), it's just usually done in a really poetic manner; all the titles do make sense in context. The only weird parts are when the titles rely too much on esoteric references (like with Touhou 15.5's title, explained here) or when there's no good word for a Japanese concept in English (like for Touhou 12.5 and its usage of "spoiler")

OP
OP
Atom Heart Mother
Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
So for those who are interested in the story, seems like the game takes place in Hell.

The denizens of Gensokyo Hell in Touhou is:
Eiki Shiki, Yamaxanadu - Judge of the Dead
Komachi Onozuka - Carries Dead Spirits to Eiki
Rin Kaenbyou - Carry corpses to the former Hell of Blazing Fires to regulate its heat. Though, she was in Former Hell (This was in Touhou SA)

But there's also Earth's Hell which has:
Hecatia Lapislazuli - Goddess of Hell
Clownpiece - Fairy of Hell

But then there's more, for in the PC-98 canon (Touhou 1 - 5 which may or not be canon at this point):
Konngara - No idea what she does there
Kikuri - No idea what she does
Mima (Formerly) - Vengeful Spirit, playable in Touhou 4 and 5

All in all, this will be very interesting to see where it goes.

Last edited:

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
That's probably my favourite Touhou title screen ever already. Hopefully this one manages to hook me again. Both 16 and Violet Detector were incredibly unmemorable to me, and I love games like Double Spoiler and Impossible Spell Card so me not really enjoying Violet Detector was kind of a surprise to me. Anyway, let's see if I can actually tell the final boss apart from the previous one this time around.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Nice to see.

Like a lot of people, I wasn't too fond of some of the later titles. But I actually found 16 to be a pretty decent return to form, both in gameplay and in music. Not as great as the old ones obviously, but still much better than some of the more recent ones. Hopefully this one will be at least that good.

As for the rest, it's kind of a shame that the series seems to have this reputation for being super impossible (going by online impressions and this thread). I get why, since everything you see on youtube from it is just people posting videos about how hard the insane difficulties or extra stages are. But on normal (and sometimes hard or even insane in some games), I've always found the series to be one of the easier shmups there is. Mostly because it's super generous with bombs and extra lives, so you get a ton of chances to screw up. Certainly much easier than most Cave shmups I've played, and way easier than something like Ikaruga (which people consider to be the golden standard for accessible casual shmups for some reason but I can't even get past stage 3 in it).

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
There's seventeen of these? Honestly I've always known about the series but felt intimidated by all the bullet hell videos I've seen lol
Don't be. You start on easy mode and work your way up. You would be amazed at what your brain can adapt to. Plus, Touhou is one of the most accessible shmups out there.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Touhou in ages and I was pretty good at it (not clearing Lunatic though but Extra Stages were fine), I'm sure I lost all my skills haha

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
ZUN's and Ryu07's art is eternal, it transcends bad into good.
At first It's always "wtf is this shit" and then you cannot even look at other interpretations/redrawn sprites.

latest

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surely this will be the time when Mima makes her glorious return.

There's actually more than that. The spin-offs are just appended with a decimal, and are things like fighting games and photography games that ZUN made so he could laugh at people.

You'll still need to practice to get a clear, of course, but the lower difficulties aren't too bad. A lot of it is just staying calm and a good bit of memorization.
(also, actually use your bombs)

OP
OP
Atom Heart Mother
Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Surely this will be the time when Mima makes her glorious return.

There's actually more than that. The spin-offs are just appended with a decimal, and are things like fighting games and photography games that ZUN made so he could laugh at people.

You'll still need to practice to get a clear, of course, but the lower difficulties aren't too bad. A lot of it is just staying calm and a good bit of memorization.
(also, actually use your bombs)

Yeah, I'd say play on easy if you really want too. Atleast if you're in it for the story.