• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
There was a livestream recently where they played Touhou Spell Bubble.

Parts where gameplay occurs in the video:
13:57 - Map/Story
16:20 - Tutorial
28:33 - Character select
30:21 - Versus match
48:37 - Versus match
56:41 - Versus match
1:02:00 - Versus match
1:09:38 - Versus match

Go to this article for more details on the game:

Japan eShop link:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
When I clicked the thread I had no idea how you'd mix Puzzle Bobble and a rhythm game, but it looks pretty awesome.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
can´t understand why there is no classic Touhou collection for consoles...they bring all kinds of "other genre" Touhous but what is with the classic bullet hell ones? would really like a console collection. Imperishable Night, Perfect Cherry Blossom and so on.

and when i am talking about it... for fans of the original bullet hell Touhous, check out Samidare...this game kicks ass. from music to gameplay, just awesome

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
can´t understand why there is no classic Touhou collection for consoles...they bring all kinds of "other genre" Touhous but what is with the classic bullet hell ones? would really like a console collection. Imperishable Night, Perfect Cherry Blossom and so on.

and when i am talking about it... for fans of the original bullet hell Touhous, check out Samidare...this game kicks ass. from music to gameplay, just awesome

Short version: because ZUN is a hyper protective idiot.

This game looks fun, though.

Almasy

Oct 25, 2017
...looks really nice, with all those songs is it possible to be released in US? That's where I import games from.
If not, I'll just import the JP release.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
Short version: because ZUN is a hyper protective idiot.
You think it's protectiveness as opposed to not giving enough fucks? Serious question, I'm not a fan of the series so I don't know if this is a Known Thing or just popular speculation.

I mean at best porting to console is going to require a lot of additional paperwork, meetings, red tape, et al. If I was a solo PC dev doing as well as ZUN there's no way I could be assed with it either.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
You think it's protectiveness as opposed to not giving enough fucks? Serious question, I'm not a fan of the series so I don't know if this is a Known Thing or just popular speculation.

I mean at best porting to console is going to require a lot of additional paperwork, meetings, red tape, et al. If I was a solo PC dev doing as well as ZUN there's no way I could be assed with it either.
A little of column A and B. He mostly wants the PC doujin market, and can't be bothered with anything else, especially not the US market. He doesn't want to do it himself, and doesn't want anyone else doing it either.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

i have no insight into it. i just wonder why the whole "other genre" Touhou games release on consoles but there is no classic Touhou collection...should be rather easy to port this stuff i think.

i mean they bring every other game to console but not the games which more or less defined the whole Touhou thing..it is a bit odd

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that's a shame.

The other Touhou games in Japan are digital only too? Or like in NA they had physical releases too?

That depends on the publisher and I think this is the first Touhou game from Taito since it's a Puzzle Bobble style game.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
i have no insight into it. i just wonder why the whole "other genre" Touhou games release on consoles but there is no classic Touhou collection...should be rather easy to port this stuff i think.

i mean they bring every other game to console but not the games which more or less defined the whole Touhou thing..it is a bit odd
You say "they" a lot. The actual Touhou games are developed by one guy, ZUN. There are also official fighting games that he works on with Twilight Frontier.

Everything else, this game included, is a licensed game made by completely unrelated development teams.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't expect to hear the opening from Fantasy Kaleidoscope when I skimmed through the video

Tbh I still can't get over the fact that *Taito* is making a Touhou fan game

I can't remember if ZUN's ever given a reason for no console releases

I'm not sure "ZUN is over protective" is the reason though, IIRC that was more the answer for "why aren't the main game releases on Steam localized"

I remember reading somewhere about ZUN apparently losing the source code for the older games. Don't know if it's ever been properly confirmed, but it'd explain the release schedule for the Touhou games on Steam (he started releasing at Touhou 16, the newest game at the time, and started working backwards)

I don't think a classics collection is potentially as easy as it sounds

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I remember reading somewhere about ZUN apparently losing the source code for the older games. Don't know if it's ever been properly confirmed, but it'd explain the release schedule for the Touhou games on Steam (he started releasing at Touhou 16, the newest game at the time, and started working backwards)

I don't think a classics collection is potentially as easy as it sounds

ok, console classic collection seems like a pipe dream when there is no source code to the older entries anymore

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
ok, console classic collection seems like a pipe dream when there is no source code to the older entries anymore

FWIW, I believe it might have been *only one* of the older games that had no source code

Though in any case, it'd still be an issue for a "most popular Touhou games" collection