• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017

I thought I'd make a thread about this, since it's a monumental occasion to those of us who remember just how hard it was to actually legally acquire a Touhou game outside Japan -- now I just bought it on Steam with a click.

Basically, Touhou is a long-running series of bullet-hell shooters made by a single independent developer. Its fandom spread somewhat beyond the reach of most such games due to the popularity of its large cast of characters and original music compositions (which have received tens of thousands of remixes and covers).

You can learn more about the series here.

The Steam release is pretty barebones -- it doesn't have cards or achievements, and it's Japanese-only.
From the little I've played so far though, the core gameplay is pretty good and the bullet patterns are beautiful, as I would expect from the series.

More info from interview with ZUN
  • ZUN manages the Steam release himself. The publisher (MediaScape) only help with paperwork
  • Older Touhou games might goes over to steam if TH16 did well. Nevertheless, he mentioned that older games will be difficult to brought over since it needs to be remade for modern spec.
  • No plans to add trading cards or other languages either for now.
  • TH15.5 might get localization/trading cards since that is Tasofro developed games.

Source:
https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/930347396273340416
https://twitter.com/shmups/status/930689851565006850

Last edited:

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be picking this up for sure despite already having a magic-themed STG on my plate with Mahou Daisakusen, heh

Barebones as it may be, I'm glad this is easy to pick up. Same goes for the Playism release of the last game.

Oct 26, 2017
I still can't believe that Touhou is on steam. Imma double dip with the steam version and import the physical one. If any of you guys are interested in the other touhou games, we have a community thread

sprinkles

Oct 25, 2017
I legally bought an official version of a Touhou bullet hell. Without visiting Japan. I must still be dreaming.

Neapolitan

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Now you can support Touhou officialy, how delightful is that!

• ZUN manages the Steam release himself. The publisher (MediaScape) only help with paperwork
  • Older Touhou games might goes over to steam if TH16 did well. Nevertheless, he mentioned that older games will be difficult to brought over since it needs to be remade for modern spec.
  • TH15.5 might get localization/trading cards since that is Tasofro developed games.

Source:

eric_b

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy to see a Touhou game on Steam, and unsurprised by the lack of localization. The community, I'm sure, has covered as always.

Touhou was a series I was always interested in getting into but never pulled the trigger, largely because of the difficulty to legally acquire the games. I presume it's okay to start with this one, yes?

OP
OP
Durante

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017

Source:
Thanks! I added the information to the OP.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, being able to buy it online just feels weird.

Part of the fun of buying doujin games is heading down to Toranoana or Melonbooks and picking up a DVD case with a really badly printed insert.
Sometimes there'd even be a store-exclusive postcard or soundtrack CD to go along with it~

Oct 28, 2017
Man, being able to buy it online just feels weird.

Part of the fun of buying doujin games is heading down to Toranoana or Melonbooks and picking up a DVD case with a really badly printed insert.
Sometimes there'd even be a store-exclusive postcard or soundtrack CD to go along with it~
Are you trying to claim that sweet sweet fanservice of going to those obtuse shops to get those games of obsession? Cause i love me some soundtrack bonuses.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
A way to legally get a mainline Touhou game without jumping through hoops or importing? Never though I would see the day.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Finally, a touhou that's not one of the weird fan games that keep appearing on the PS4. Japanese only is fine, the plots to these games are generally a waste of time anyway.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, a way to get a Touhou game on Steam.

It's been possible to easily get a legal copy of Touhou 14 by having a Playism JP account, but that went mostly unnoticed. Hopefully this does well.

AtticNotes

Oct 28, 2017
Also newsworthy: in an IGN Japan interview, ZUN has essentially given the OK for fans to release their fan games on Steam. This is based on his guideline to fan creators: you can (generally) monetize your Touhou fan works through any channel he himself has used.

――ちなみに東方ProjectのローカルルールにはZunさんがリリースしたプラットフォームでは、二次創作をリリースしても良いというものがありますが、今後、Steamで東方Projectの二次創作がリリースされる可能性はあるのでしょうか。 (もちろん、これはZunさんの意志によるものではないと思いますが。)

たぶん出て来ると思いますよ。そういった事情もありましたよね。Steamで二次創作出したいってう問い合わせも多かったので。それはもう僕が出ていれば問題ないでしょうという流れで、出て来ると思いますよ。

――なるほど、ではあとは各サークルによりますが、出て来る可能性があるということですね。

各サークルの判断によりますね。こちらでは問題ないという形です。

Translation:
Q: Touhou Project has a house rule: fan works can be released on any platform where ZUN yourself have released Touhou products. [Now that you are launching Touhou on Steam,] will it be possible to release Touhou fan works on Steam? (Of course, this should still be up to you.)
A: I'm sure you can. It's true, I received a lot of requests from people who wish to release their fan works on Steam. If I released Touhou there, they can also do it without problem, that's how it works.

Q: I see. So from now on, if a circle [an amateur creator] wants to, they will be able to release on Steam?
A: They can decide it themselves. From my side, there's no problem.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Come on, ZUN. That's all I've ever asked.

AtticNotes

Oct 28, 2017
He also talked about localization in the IGN interview:

――今回は英語がなく日本語だけですが、英語版は検討していないんでしょうか。

そうですね。一度、やろうとしたんですが、なかなか作業時間がとれなくて、だからもう有志の人が翻訳しているものが結構あるので、そっちでいいのかなっていう。

――確かに有志の翻訳もありますよね。

そうですね。そういうパッチとかいっぱいあると思います。公式として出すかどうかはわからないけど、公式で出すとその翻訳が正しくないと呼ばれかねない(笑)。ファンの方がいいんじゃないかな(笑)。

――いや、そこはお墨付きとして出せばいいんじゃないですか(笑)。

そういうわけにいかないんですよね。結局、僕もどこかの翻訳業者に出すわけだから、その人がわかっていないと言われかねない。そう考えるとちょっとめんどくさいなーと。ニュアンスも結構、日本語じゃないと伝わらない部分ってあると思うんですよ。まあ日本語でいいのかな。シューティングゲームだし。

Translation:
Q: This is a Japanese-only release, with no English option. Have you ever considered making an English version?
A: Well, I considered that, but can't find the time to do it. So I figured there have been plenty of translations made by volunteers, and that might be enough.

Q: Indeed, there are volunteer translators.
A: Yes, they must have already made plenty of patches. It hardly makes any difference whether there's an official translation. Even if there is, somebody might come out and say it's incorrect (laugh). Better to let fans handle it (laugh).

Q: Um no, it's probably still better to have an officially approved version (laugh).
A: It's better to not do that. If I make it, I will have to find some professional translators, and there's no guarantee they won't misunderstand anything. It all seems like too much hassle to me. There might also be nuances that can only be expressed in Japanese. So just keep it in Japanese. It''s a shooting game after all.

AtticNotes

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking as a fan translator (who hasn't worked on this particular game's English translation), this game has a rather simple story, but it is actually based on a recently trending subject in Japanese academia (the cultural role of "ushirodo", a backyard space in some Buddhist temples, often used for theatrical performances, which are frequently done by members of otherwise pariah castes). Looking at the hilariously obscure stuff he puts into this game, it really makes me want an annotation system that displays sidenotes. That would be handy for topics that simply can't be explained in the space given AND can't be found on the English internet.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Take note if you have a high refresh rate monitor - the game doesn't cap at 60 fps on it's own, you need to use external tools (like RTSS or Special K) unless you want to play at 125% speed (seems to lock to 72 fps on my side, might be half-refresh rate).

Oct 25, 2017
Damn is Touhou the series with the highest sequel number in its title

I always thought it was Final Fantasy then King of Fighters but I guess not

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Take note if you have a high refresh rate monitor - the game doesn't cap at 60 fps on it's own, you need to use external tools (like RTSS or Special K) unless you want to play at 125% speed (seems to lock to 72 fps on my side, might be half-refresh rate).

At this point, every time I pick up a new Japanese STG release on Steam I just assume I'll have to use my monitor's refresh rate button to switch to 60hz, lol.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn is Touhou the series with the highest sequel number in its title

I always thought it was Final Fantasy then King of Fighters but I guess not

my dude:

zVIRSVh.png

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Been at least 4 years since I played mainline Touhou, I'm really glad it's easier to get those now.
Hoping it'll do well and ZUN will release older games.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
At this point, every time I pick up a new Japanese STG release on Steam I just assume I'll have to use my monitor's refresh rate button to switch to 60hz, lol.
Don't do that, you get infinitely better input lag by playing at 144 Hz and locking the framerate to 60 fps.

Neapolitan

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Also newsworthy: in an IGN Japan interview, ZUN has essentially given the OK for fans to release their fan games on Steam. This is based on his guideline to fan creators: you can (generally) monetize your Touhou fan works through any channel he himself has used.

Translation:

This is so interesting. ZUN is opening the floodgates, so to speak. It still feels weird that you'll be able to buy Touhou fan games on Steam.

FrankJaeger

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Is there any way to use d-pad with XBOX 360 joypad?
I can't play on stick.

Well, I can, but it's very uncomfortable. Xpadder and joy2key don't work.

I hope Koumajou Densetsu dilogy will be released in Steam. The next best thing after classic Castlevanias!

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
So if I like Cave shooters, would I like this? Heard a lot about this series, never really looked into it.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
So if I like Cave shooters, would I like this? Heard a lot about this series, never really looked into it.

Touhou is a lot more forgiving in general. The patterns might become just as brutal in Lunatic difficulty, but you tend to get a lot more resources. Touhou also has a lot of quirks that make every play through slightly different from the last.

Narumi

Oct 25, 2017
Truly a momentous occasion.

Also slightly surprised Mod God Durante is a Touhou fan.
So ERA, what are the best tracks on the OST?

Everything. But more specifically, I'm a fan of the Stage 5 theme and Boss theme as well as Okina's boss themes. Okina's Stage 6 theme is especially a treat for longtime fans given her connections with various past characters and her leitmotif reflects that oh so perfectly as well as providing an emotional moment when you first hear it. Her connection to the Sages and the Hata family are well reflected in Concealed Four Seasons, whereas Hidden Star in All Seasons is a standard, albeit impressive Final Boss theme (I know it's Extra but it's still really bombastic and exciting).

demidar

Oct 26, 2017
I will buy a Steam copy to show support, and also acquire a physical copy just for collection purposes.

Narumi

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking as a fan translator (who hasn't worked on this particular game's English translation), this game has a rather simple story, but it is actually based on a recently trending subject in Japanese academia (the cultural role of "ushirodo", a backyard space in some Buddhist temples, often used for theatrical performances, which are frequently done by members of otherwise pariah castes). Looking at the hilariously obscure stuff he puts into this game, it really makes me want an annotation system that displays sidenotes. That would be handy for topics that simply can't be explained in the space given AND can't be found on the English internet.

Your comprehensive guide to the background lore surrounding this game on MOTK would certainly be a valuable addition to the thread.

Tonton

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, please

Translation:
Yo, this is great news, i hope we start seeing them after this

Can't believe I just bought Touhou on Steam

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
756 Reviews already for a Shoot'em Up? That's is a telltale sign of good sales right there. This is my first foray into the series and I'm loving what I've experienced from Stages 1 and 2. Kind of still figuring out the mechanics since nothing's in English. Is there a fan patch or something?

OP
OP
Durante

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Touhou would be a walk in the park compared to any Cave shooter lol

The patterns are nowhere near as fast and the games give you tons of resources (you can max out at like 10 lives easily in some of the Touhou games easily, and you get three bombs per life) if you know how to exploit their individual mechanics.

varkuriru

Oct 28, 2017
As some who has never played the games but is fueled by the Demetori cover albums, I will check this out.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Touhou is a lot more forgiving in general. The patterns might become just as brutal in Lunatic difficulty, but you tend to get a lot more resources. Touhou also has a lot of quirks that make every play through slightly different from the last.

Touhou would be a walk in the park compared to any Cave shooter lol

The patterns are nowhere near as fast and the games give you tons of resources (you can max out at like 10 lives easily in some of the Touhou games easily, and you get three bombs per life) if you know how to exploit their individual mechanics.

Thanks, guys! Will give this a look.

DesiacX

Oct 27, 2017
Will probs wait for translation to bite, and since that appears like it will take a while, i might finish an arcade stick im building by then, so thatll be fun.

AtticNotes

Oct 28, 2017
Your comprehensive guide to the background lore surrounding this game on MOTK would certainly be a valuable addition to the thread.

Ah yes, thank you for remembering me. If anyone who already knows the story wants to read up on what inspired this game, I posted my research notes here. They are neither comprehensive nor perfect, but they are a decent starting point.