• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.celestegame.com/
Remember how good Towerfall's movement and mechanics felt? Take that polish and precise control, and place it in a challenging puzzle-precision platformer, and you get Celeste

You can play the original PICO-8 version on your browser here

The new game will be around 8 hours and have 600 levels according to the devs

Celeste is a platformer about climbing a mountain, from the creators of TowerFall.

Explore a sprawling mountain with over 600 levels bursting with secrets, across 8 unique chapters. Unlock a hardcore B-Sides for each chapter, with completely new levels that will push your climbing skills to the limit.

Madeline can air-dash and climb any surface to gain ground. Controls are simple and accessible, but super tight and expressive with layers of depth to master. Deaths are sudden and respawns are fast. You'll die a lot, but you'll learn something every time.

Meet peculiar characters and climb through a character-driven story of confronting your self-doubt to find yourself, set in the present-day Pacific Northwest. Uncover the mystery of the mountain's power and outrun your reflection on your journey to reach the top.

http:///wp-content/uploads/2016/12/celeste-12-04-16-7.gif

I think RockPaperShotgun's hands-on does a good job at describing what makes Celeste worth keeping an eye on
Celeste is simple enough. It's a platformer about climbing a mountain in which you can jump, air-dash to clear larger gaps, wall jump, and hold down right-trigger on the controller to cling to vertical surfaces until your stamina runs out. You leap between platforms, you avoid the spikes, and it's all very pleasant.

That's how it begins, anyway. By the time I reached its third area, the last included in the preview build I've been playing, I'm fleeing from mirror-world clones of myself that mimic my movements and destroy me on touch and navigating the world via blocks full of colourful stars. With each twist introduced as I climb its mountain, Celeste climbs higher in my estimation.
There have been a thousand 2D platform games which use jumping as a form of traversal, but they tend to primarily be about something else. Roguelikes, RPGs, crafting games… the jumping isn't the point. When the jumping is the point, it rarely feels as good and as satisfying as it does in Celeste. In 2016 we've had N++ and Flat Heroes and that's about it.

Last edited:

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Yo Towerfall movement in a puzzle platformer sounds like butter on a biscuit. I'm reminded instantly of Super Meat Boy as well. Hope it's just as good.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but see the gameplay and be reminded of the Ogmo games, which Thorson also created. Can't wait for Celeste to come out!

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Been keeping my eye on this the last few months. Definitely there day one.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Games like these are the bullet hell of platformers, ain't it?

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Looks nice! Towerfall was coming to Switch at one point too, right?

Does Celeste already have a pricepoint?

Iron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To everyone saying this rips off Super Meat Boy - Super Meat Boy ripped off this guy first!

Matt Thorson made Jumper and Jumper 2 using this guy:

1561950-ogmo.png

Then later came Super Meat Boy with exactly the same concepts and gameplay, and they even included a rip-off Ogmo character in their game.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited about this. Great way to start the new year!

God, the soundtrack and visual aesthetic are so good.

Last edited:

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I've come to the realization that 2d hard as hell platformers are probably my favorite genre of games. Spelunky, N++ are two of my all time favorite games. Towerfall was fucking masterful. And I mostly played that game solo trying for all the gold skulls(was it?) on all the levels. It felt really good unlocking that 'Rapture' trophy. It had secrets and it just played so well. I'm pumped about Celeste. I'll play any game Matt Thorson makes.

I don't know what platform I'm getting it on though. I'll get it on PS4 if I don't have a Switch by then. Portability might be the trump card on that decision.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Totally forgot about this game, but always thought it looked super cool. I'll probably end up grabbing this one on GOG. Might rebuy on Switch if (when) it gets a physical release.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, that reminded me of a video review thing I've saw once, guy was a extremely underrated youtuber (had a video on AM2R that was marvellous).
Went looking for it to make a comparison with this, only to find out he vanished. :((

Anyway, this looks nice and fluid. I'm interested. :)

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I wonder when Towerfall itself is due on Switch. That will be really good with split joycons for two player. I remember it being listed as one of the Indies in a logo full of the games coming to the switch in one of the directs some time ago.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just picked this up. £15.99.

If i get only half the amount of fun I got with towerfall then itll be worth it.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Towerfall multiplayer, but the über-hard time trial challenges weren't really that enjoyable to me, so I'm not sure if this will be for me.