• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
There you go, sometimes I hate why I'm a gamer. The community is so harsh criticizing everything but end up buying the same shit. That's why so many people hide and denied that they bough the same COD and NBA2k even if the game is shit. Gamer, man every year is the same type of game meh, game play is similar, half asset cheap made game. A month latter came a game with the same game play and copycat stuff, but with different skin . Gamer wow that's game is great is like dark souls with fallout and uncharted. Its tiresome sometimes. But well congrats to Nintendo and its cashcow.
In my defense, the last Pokemon game i got before this was X, because I assumed this game would have massive improvements (and ignored leaks aside from monsters). I'll probably go on another long hiatus and never pre-order/preload a Pokemon game again

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
We are and we are discussing that because the game is selling so well, we don't have faith in them making the games better. So I am even more worried about the next pokemon games and what that could mean.

The vast majority of posts here on topic
This discussion has definitely moved away from sales for the most part and has turned into every other Pokemon thread with people fighting over the games and Game Freak. That's what people want to talk about though.

There you go, sometimes I hate why I'm a gamer. The community is so harsh criticizing everything but end up buying the same shit. That's why so many people hide and denied that they bough the same COD and NBA2k even if the game is shit. Gamer, man every year is the same type of game meh, game play is similar, half asset cheap made game. A month latter came a game with the same game play and copycat stuff, but with different skin . Gamer wow that's game is great is like dark souls with fallout and uncharted. Its tiresome sometimes. But well congrats to Nintendo and its cashcow.
People tried to boycott the latest 2k game and went after one of the community guys only for it to become the fastest selling sports game of all time and best selling game of the year at that point.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want that, but it would let people who feel the need to do nothing but complain about it have an outlet and an audience for their posts. "A post" lamenting the sales could be framed as on topic even if it's really just a tenuous way to complain. The oh 15 follow ups or so after that have ensued from multiple people in the thread is far off topic. And that is what is happening here.

Or you could ya know, just use good judgment and not require moderation.

Man stop being fragile and so sensitive. Jesus. Both discussions can happen and if you can't take it, maybe its time YOU leave the thread. This constant whining that people have negative things to say vs positive things is so tired. If you enjoyed it, no amount of negativity should have you fixing your fingers on your keyboard complaining about what negative shit people have to say. Like....lmao, move on!

---

This is not unexpected for me. Pokemon is still the premier Nintendo game and always was. Regardless of how this game was going to come out, the switch was literally positioned for this transition of the series. I dislike that GF didn't stay that loyal to the longtime fans, but I'm in love, super happy, and this pretty much is the first game since Mario Odyssey that had me dust off my switch and stay glued to it for a minute. Hopefully the next one is coming around the corner because, I got pokemon fever again T_T

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Not that hard considering previous software made the console sell like hot cupcakes. And the Pokemon brand is strong. Im not ready to diss the game just yet i am only a few hours in.

Buut....

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Of course it did. The vast, vast, vast majority of people who play Pokemon don't give a single shit about "Dexit" or any of the other very loud internet complaints.
I think, ultimately, most people play the story to completion, maybe battle their friends a few times, and then never play that particular game again. They don't ever really transfer Pokemon or bother completing the National Dex.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
That digital share is the most impressive number in all of this. That's almost one third for Japan's sales alone.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh please. There's plenty of sales analysis that could be done by people on both sides of the argument that don't need us to dredge up the same old tired arguments from the past six months.
The problem is, these arguments aren't old, they are ancient. And they will, with 99% certainty, come up the next time again, because the people in charge at Gamefreak don't bother. Because they don't have to bother, because the games are selling like hotcakes no matter what they do. These arguments don't suddenly lose relevance just because the game is out now.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Please. Please go complain and post repeatedly in other threads. Please someone just make a thread for people to do nothing but complain about this game so that the rest of us can just enjoy ourselves on the board. This thread is about the incredible sales success of these games and nothing else. Is it truly impossible to enjoy a Pokemon thread on here right now? I don't want to have to block 100-200 people but is that the only way this board can be manageable right now?
You should. I still have about 100 people on ignore from the threads when Switch Online launched. Every now and then I click show ignored content, and they're invariably still posting troll bollocks. It makes the browsing experience much nicer.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Largely, the issues with the game are something really only diehards would care about. If you're new to the series or simply a lapsed fan, you will not notice the majority of them. Pokemon has a strong core that would take, like, deliberate self-sabotage to screw up.
I absolutely understand that, but if the issues were so much of big of a deal that people even starting talking about boycott, making hashtags, harassing others that simply showed interest in buying these games... heck, even people that got the job to inform news about the game, I really thought that would be a disaster (for Pokémon sales, at least). But nope, not even reviews were much affected at all ~

I think it's worth noting that widely-regarded the worst Pokemon generation, XY, currently has the highest score on Metacritic (sort of a Dark Souls 2 situation) so this is just one of those series where the minute details are so important that it's tough for critics that aren't hardcore fans to really navigate.

That being said, it is notable that this is the lowest scoring mainline entry since at least the GBA, and maybe ever, even if an 80 OC isn't bad by itself.
OK.. the metascore isn't an actual metric, so where is the game in fact stands? If being one the worst one in the series (supposedly) gets a 80 on MC, I think the expectations aren't as high some make it sounds, isn't it?

I mean, yeah, Pokémon is the biggest brand in the world, basically.. but the games are still done in a almost yearly basis, so when they have such (bad) habits in development, I think everyone should have their expectations in check

Well, it looks better than an HD 3DS game, but it honestly plays exactly like the 3DS ones with more QoL features. The main issue, and the reason why those 3 points don't seem to be factors, is that pokemon games are regularly not compared to other games on their systems or to other JRPGs.

The core gameplay loop of catching pokemon + raising/battling is fun enough that people seem to gloss over their other shortcomings.

It's graphically underwhelming compared to other JRPGs, the writing is objectively worse than I think any other game series I've played, and you as a long time fan you can see the features that were removed/regressed for seemingly no reason other than to appeal to kids lower attention spans because of smartphones (which is literally a reason the director used to justify cutting features)
Oh, don't get me wrong, I do think it looks better than a 3DS game and that's why I said it was beyond my personal expectations; But also agree that looks objectively worse than any other JRPG (1st party or no) on Switch; but again, despite of how much money Game Freak makes of this franchise, making games with depth and looks on par of a Xenoblade game was never realistic to me.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Poor naive Smash Bros; if only you'd split your roster and stages across two versions, compelling many to buy multiple copies, then you'd still have your record.

(The separate version gimmick is, was and always will be genius. Game Freak should have a statue of Miyamoto for that alone.)

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Poor naive Smash Bros; if only you'd split your roster and stages across two versions, compelling many to buy multiple copies, then you'd still have your record.

(The separate version gimmick is, was and always will be genius. Game Freak should have a statue of Miyamoto for that alone.)

Super Smash Bros Ultimate 1st Party
Super Smash Bros Ultimate 3rd Party

.... *shudder* ... don't give them ideas.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): Inflammatory generalizations.
People are sheep. Quality doesn't matter anymore. Congrats to Game freak, TPC, and Nintendo for continuing to make millions off people that don't give a shit and just want whatever everyone else hypes up. Brand loyalty is the worst.

Oh well. Sun and Moon are my last pokemon main series games. Time to move on to bigger and better things. It's beyond obvious the series is nothing more than a cheaply made product to continue printing money every year.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Do we even have any data or evidence that shows that there are in fact a large number of people who buy both games to trade the Pokémon with themselves because they haven't any real or online friend with the game?

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
Hey, if mods think this discussion shouldn't be had, they'll say something. It's not up to you to backseat mod because people aren't showering a game you like with unconditional adoration

Isn't it obvious that this thread is to discuss the sales? Can you find another thread to discuss why you think the game is flawed and how to improve it?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
People are sheep. Quality doesn't matter anymore. Congrats to Game freak, TPC, and Nintendo for continuing to make millions off people that don't give a shit and just want whatever everyone else hypes up. Brand loyalty is the worst.

Oh well. Sun and Moon are my last pokemon main series games. Time to move on to bigger and better things. It's beyond obvious the series is nothing more than a cheaply made product to continue printing money every year.
Is it really ok now to just insult people who enjoy the game?

Drop the hostilities and get back on topic.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Official Staff Communication
This thread is to discuss the sales of the new Pokemon games. While we understand that people have issues with the new games, attacking others for liking or disliking them is *not* allowed. Hostility from this point on will be actioned appropriately.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
That the vocal disgusting group that send death threats and harass developers are the minority?

Yeah me too.
Yup. Anyone who criticizes the game is sending death threats. It's amazing how much you will twist criticism to deflect it. Most people who have criticized the games are against harassing anybody.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Its crazy to think that around 15% of hole Switch install base bought this game in its first week of release.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Cheerleading the success of what is, objectively, a very low effort product is really problematic.

It might be a fun low effort product. It might sell well as a low effort product. But it is still a low effort product.
It's not low effort, and certainly not by any objective measure.
I know you are banned, but I want to emphasize this for when you are back: you are not the sole arbiter of quality or effort, and certainly not the universal barometer by which everything is judged.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Yup, that's a Pokemon launch on console alright. Shipments this quarter will be massive.

So the 2M in Japan is sold through as well?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I think the idea is that one of the biggest IP´s in the wolrd and a game that consistently sells 15 million units+ shouldnt be low budget.
People want gamefreak to reinvest that money into the games more to make a better product.

Game Freak isn't budgeting these games. Nintendo is. If tomorrow Nintendo had an expectation of a BOTW level pokemon game they would do what was necessary to make it.

People just have grand visions of what pokemom could be and obviously the financial board that writes the checks do not share those ambitions. I don't get the constant bagging on Game Freak here. If they need better technical direction that will be at the discretion of people way the fuck above them.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how Pokemon games would sell if they were a 1 per gen affair like Smash and Mario Kart. Even though sequels get pumped out yearly they still have decent legs dont they?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising numbers honestly. I may be disappointed with a few aspects of the new games, but it's still pokemon, it's still an enjoyable game. Good for the team.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Switch Software | 2/3-Day Opening Global Sell-Through

OCT 17 - SMO 2M - Source
NOV 18 - LGPE 3M - Source
DEC 18 - SSBU 5M - Source
NOV 19 - SWSH 6M - Source

I am archiving these. Anyone have any others - let me know!
Link's Awakening did 3 million it's first weekend, right. Calling it now, BotW2 will do 5 million.

Edit: LA did 3 million shipped in 10 days, not its first week

Last edited:

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. I am a casual Poke fan playing with some hard core friends online (one finished the game the very next day after he got it while I was still faffing about the Wild Area with 1 badge lol) and all of us are loving it. This is gonna sell gangbusters for Xmas.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I haven't gotten that far yet so I ain't clicking that yet ;) I've only just gotten to Route 3.

But I will raise you this track :p ! The 1:10 mark is perfection!!

Oh man, you are in for a treat. I'm going to give you one bit of advice for when you have your first Gym Leader battle: don't rush it. You can OHKO the entire team, but just take your time. The music and atmosphere are electrifying.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That the vocal disgusting group that send death threats and harass developers are the minority?

Yeah me too.
Sorry but you've brought up those death threats multiple times, and you aren't the only one. Not a single time anyone showed any evidence of them happening towards anyone at Gamefreak. I repeat, not once, no matter how often people asked for it.

Could you please put forward any of the sort, because at some point I feel like fabricating death threats to make people who have different opinions than you look bad is a more disgusting to do than whatever shit the people you are complaining about are pulling.
These are serious issues, so if I'm wrong on this I'll take back my statements and apologize.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great result! The digital share in Japan is quite impressive, feels like Nintendo has finally figured that out.

I hope they bring back vouchers in NA. I used my last voucher on this game T_T