• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
The Pokémon Company has published a Japanese press release about the first-week sales for Sword & Shield.

Here is a quick google translate of the first paragraph:

Pokémon Co., Ltd. (Minato-ku, Tokyo, President and CEO: Tsunekazu Ishihara)
The latest series "Pocket Monster Sword" and "Pocket Monster Shield" released at the time (compatible models: Nintendo Switch) recorded sales of 6 million units worldwide * during the first week of release around the world. The number of 6 million units sold in the first week is the fastest and highest number of Nintendo Switch software ever. It is also the first in Japan. The number of weekly sales was 2 million *, and the Nintendo Switch software was sold in the first week both worldwide and in Japan.We updated the fastest and most records of the numbers. (* Survey by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Last edited:

sambills

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
User banned (1 week): drive-by trolling; history of infractions for the same thing
but the animations 🥺

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Trolling, console wars, history of similar behaviour
Imagine how many Gamepass subscriptions you'd need to make that kind of money.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
May well be outpacing Sun and Moon right off the bat when all is said and done (Sun and Moon had 7.2 million by the end of its first month), which is well beyond my expectations.

Thoroughly enjoyable games, too- not without their rough edges, but a really good time.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Sun Moon apparently sold through 7.2M by November 30th (12 days after US/Japan release, 7 days after Europe) according to ZhugeEX. Sword Shield may be selling faster than Sun Moon.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not to mention the higher price tag $60 on switch vs $40 on 3ds means more money too.. damn

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Wait... So this is now the fastest selling Pokémon game ever...

And if Pokémon Sun and Moon was the previous fastest selling Nintendo game of all time in the Americas, this may also have beaten that record.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Serebii is it possible that Nintendo have their own additional tracking that they are using? The report states with an asterisk that some kind of "Nintendo survey" is used (I think Google Translate translates the asterisk text as such), so maybe they are incorporating their own data there? Or maybe adding digital up to today and retail up to Sunday from Media Create?

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I wonder if in gen 9 they're gonna keep on testing the waters by cutting even more content to see how much more they can get away with?

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Yep despite alot of issues I have about the game you really can't beat the hype and fun this game brings.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive stuff.

It might be the fastest selling exclusive ever ? (If it is indeed outpacing S/M).

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit those are amazing sales. Congrats to Game Freak and TPC.

However:

Either this is wrong, or the statement in the title is wrong.
That is shipped, this is apparently sold-through (to consumers).
SM also aren't Switch titles lol.

Pokemon had to beat out Smash to become the fastest selling Switch title.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I like Pokemon, don't care about dexit or whatever but it does kind erk me how much Gamefreak gets away lol.. been playing Sword this weekend and it's the meh visuals, no voice acting, the same old plot, with a awful rival, .... how less ambitious it is compared to Nintendo's other titles kinda pisses me off seeing the amount of success this series keeps getting ...hell I'm part of the problem too lol bought it thinking maybe this Pokemon game will get.me back into the series ...but nah sigh..

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Nice, hope they keep getting away with making great games that sell great.

If only they could patch the game so i finally get that Gmax Corviknight spawn.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't Smash have the biggest launch of any home-console exclusive ever? So it's tracking above that, assuming this figure only accounts for 3 days.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
tenor.gif

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We don't know for sure the tracking period nor if those are sold-through or shipped numbers, right? In any case, figures are bonkers. I hope they don't push Game Freak to ignore all the valid criticism the games got.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it has to be faster than Sun Moon, but the interpretation from the Japanese release is that the number is sell-through, not shipped.

I dont understand Japanese so maybe there is something there I'm not getting, but most of the time when Nintendo says ''sold'', is usually shipped. For quartelry reports for example, they usually disclose sold-through only few days after together with the transcript of the Q&A. Not sure if TPC reports the same way tho.

But honestly, that doesnt matter a lot for Pkmn, these copies will be sold regardless