• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

US Release Date: May 3, 2019

Starring: Charlize Theron, Seth Rogen, Alexander Skarsgård, Bob Odenkirk

Directed By: Jonathan Levine

Synopsis: Fred Flarsky, an unemployed journalist battered by his own misfortune, endeavors to pursue Charlotte Field, his childhood crush and babysitter who now happens to be one of the most powerful and unattainable women on the planet.

Looks eh but good god Charlize Theron looks amazing.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking "Its been a few years since Rogen has been a lead in a film. Guess he's transitioning to directing and producing stuff." Minutes later the trailer pops up on my Youtube feed lol.

Looks fine.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
They'd never let an unmarried woman that close to the presidency, though. We still haven't had an unmarried man there yet.

Other than that, yeah, that's a Seth Rogen comedy.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Did she babysit him when she was 5 and he was a toddler?

*googles"

I wasn't far off with their ages

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda like that there's a movie about an older woman for once. But I don't know, it looked pleasant, but that's all I got.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it looks fun, not see it in theater fun. But I would watch on netflix

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Just got out of an early screening of this. Not bad! It's a funny, fairly clever romcom - Rogen & Theron have good chemistry. Got a pretty solid reaction out of the crowd.

Only real issue is that it seems like it is straining itself to be an uplifting romcom, while still being set in a facsimile of our current political hellscape. Creates a few awkward tonal shifts.

Bowling Pin

One Winged Slayer
Dec 9, 2017
The comedy seems to be going for painful, awkward cringe, and I think I'm actually for it. Yeah, might catch this opening weekend.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

"'I've been single for 10 years'

[...]

Her last serious relationship was with Sean Penn. The two were engaged but split in 2015.

[...]

Prior to Penn, she dated actor Stuart Townsend after meeting on the set of 'Trapped.' They split in 2010."

Is she pretending Sean Penn never happened? Ouch for him.
It's crazy she's been single for so long though. Apart from dying like an idiot in Prometheus, she seems great.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York

giphy.gif

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Seth Rogen is in a tons of political themed comedies. Is he trying to run for office or something?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just saw an early screening of this - it was pretty hilarious. Does a nice job delivering the expected goods but with just enough subversion. Charlize killed it as expected.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw an early screening of this - it was pretty hilarious. Does a nice job delivering the expected goods but with just enough subversion. Charlize killed it as expected.

Just saw the trailer for this a few days ago and was intrigued. Guess I'll put it on my list to watch. Haven't really seen a decent comedy in a while.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
They'd never let an unmarried woman that close to the presidency, though. We still haven't had an unmarried man there yet.

Other than that, yeah, that's a Seth Rogen comedy.

James Buchanan was single. My wife's sister just made her first movie and she was talking about maybe doing a film about him next.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I didn't realize from the commercials she was the secretary of state. I assumed it was just Seth Rogan trying to get with someone who looks like Charlize Theron.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I'm very surprised, I usually dislike this kind of Rogen-centric stuff, but this looks pretty.. cute? lol Theron and Rogen seem fun together.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed this movie except for one scene where it undercuts the whole "fighting climate change" aspect of its plot by implying that being a Republican is a valid position in 2019 and that you should be accepting of your friends even if they disagree politically. Yeah no, we're facing the extinction of the species if that party has its way. There's no friendship in that.

An unfortunate blemish on an otherwise pretty woke screwball comedy.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I just saw this and it was great. The scene about being friends with Republicans was a little ehhhh, but literal Donald Trump doesn't exist in this film's world (only a less vile, less racist, more palatable version of him does), and the scene is less than 5 minutes long so I can excuse it.

The movie takes a lot of risks and I think most of them worked very well. Funny, engaging, and uplifting. Solid A from me.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know about this movie and just watched it with my wife and the inlaws. It was quite good! Definitely don't sleep on this one. I know it's not Oscar worthy or anything, but not every film has to be. It's funny and clever, and also relatable to the world today.

If you need any further convincing, it's 81% on Rotten tomatoes, which is solid.

NewDayMarch

Nov 25, 2017
Watched this recently with my partner, and boy did I hate the ending. Just completely bizarre and unbelievable. The...what would you call it...Epilogue? Was fun though.

June Diane Raphael stole a lot of her scenes.