• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Wow, what a deal if you planned on getting the Digital Deluxe anyway. It essentially drops the price down to the cost of a regular game.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I played CS1&2 and the I'd say it's perfectly fine to start with 3 just going off 2's ending. Ideally you should at least start with CS1 but starting with CS3 is probably fine.
Honestly from everything I've heard from people who've played 3, the ideal is to actually play all of the previous kiseki games, including the two crossbell games that aren't officially localized (though you'd need fan translations for that)

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Anyone remember when costumes and little nods to past series were just in game-unlockables for doing side quests or doing something well? No? Just Me?

Honestly from everything I've heard from people who've played 3, the ideal is to actually play all of the previous kiseki games, including the two crossbell games that aren't officially localized (though you'd need fan translations for that)

Was told the same thing in no uncertain terms by other fans. Which is making me question whether or not to get it as I've only played Cold Steel 1/2 and a very small bit of Trails in the Sky.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Like a lot of the responses on Twitter are saying, I hope this extra content also comes with the Thors Academy Edition they are selling on their website...

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019

Really the best solution is just to start from Trails FC but that's not as accessible for some people. I feel like series purists forget that Falcom is aware that the longer the series goes on the higher chance someone will start with the newer entries than the old. So they seem to take this into account when writing the games. CS III has a new academy with some new blank slate characters to make it at least possible for new players to jump into. At least far more than CS II was.

I love this series but I'd rather people get into it the way that's best for them then demand they follow the series order rigidly.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Too bad I don't still have PS+ for that discount on the digital deluxe. I wonder if I could make a new account for the free trial and then purchase it on my main and get the discount? I know you can play online with the master account still if another one on the console has PS+.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone remember when costumes and little nods to past series were just in game-unlockables for doing side quests or doing something well? No? Just Me?

Was told the same thing in no uncertain terms by other fans. Which is making me question whether or not to get it as I've only played Cold Steel 1/2 and a very small bit of Trails in the Sky.

You can still play this with only both Cold Steel games. 3 and 4 do reference previous games pretty heavily but they still work fine without them.

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
Why are publishers so bad about communicating this shit? We should immediately know what versions of the game will come with the cosmetic DLC or not, especially for those who preorder the Thors Edition

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Why are publishers so bad about communicating this shit? We should immediately know what versions of the game will come with the cosmetic DLC or not, especially for those who preorder the Thors Edition
I would assume this is the only version of the game that comes with this cosmetic DLC because they haven't bothered to mention it for any other version (including the Thors Academy bundle).

They clearly intend for the hardcore fans who want both the digital goodies and the physical goodies to buy the game twice. (Although I suspect that Cosmetics bundle will be made available as standalone DLC. They ought to at least clarify if that's a thing.)

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Can't wait to see the record low sales as fans talk people into downloading fan patches and importing and playing through 2 really long games from Japan instead of, I dunno, reading a wiki or something.

Anyway, as much as I want to be in, on the fence until NISA proves it put effort into it's localization, unlike Ys 8.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
So do game saves from the previous games do anything? I have 1 and 2 on PC, but haven't started them yet. I was thinking about just buying all the games on PS4.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
i hear you can jump right into 3
1480224306398.jpg

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Yeah that's some bs. That stuff wasn't included with any of the other editions that were available for pre-order many months ago. NIS just loves to burn the goodwill from both ends

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait to see the record low sales as fans talk people into downloading fan patches and importing and playing through 2 really long games from Japan instead of, I dunno, reading a wiki or something.

Anyway, as much as I want to be in, on the fence until NISA proves it put effort into it's localization, unlike Ys 8.
yeah i can't believe people would rather play a fan translated game where they at least can see a scene play out even if the translation is mediocre instead of reading a wiki article that easily can be riddled with mistakes and lacks any nuance or detail. Such crazy people, much wow.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i can't believe people would rather play a fan translated game where they at least can see a scene play out even if the translation is mediocre instead of reading a wiki article that easily can be riddled with mistakes and lacks any nuance or detail. Such crazy people, much wow.

Imagine skipping a game with Queen Rixia in it. Blasphemy

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

A lot of time, money, and effort required to purchase and ship a foreign copy of a game, mod a system, rip a game, patch the game, and then play it for a fan translation.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Zero and Ao both have translation patches for the PC versions that will run on old computers.

So you need an old windows version to play it or is that just a qualifier for it not needing high end hardware? How do you get a copy to apply the patch? How difficult is the patching process?

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
So you need an old windows version to play it or is that just a qualifier for it not needing high end hardware? How do you get a copy to apply the patch?
They will run fine on modern computers. I know people who have played them without any issues, I mean that you don't need a recent one to be able to play them. You can order them online but I'm not sure where since I played Zero on PSP and Ao on Vita.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Does that 25% discount apply to Europe as well?
This might be the first game I pre-order ever. Just playing/played Trails in the Sky and Trails of Cold steel I and I'm in love with Falcom.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A lot of time, money, and effort required to purchase and ship a foreign copy of a game, mod a system, rip a game, patch the game, and then play it for a fan translation.
Zero is readily available on pc through Dlsite, Ao requires a few more loops due to Falcom not releasing the pc port in Japan
but both work beautifully