• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
yeah i can't believe people would rather play a fan translated game where they at least can see a scene play out even if the translation is mediocre instead of reading a wiki article that easily can be riddled with mistakes and lacks any nuance or detail. Such crazy people, much wow.
I forgot that fan translations are bastions of nuance and aren't riddled with mistakes. Why doesn't Falcom just buy the script and release it? Oh yes, mostly because it is half completed trash.

Look you guys can keep it up in burying interest in a series you like in the hopes of. . .I don't really know the endgame here. Permanent fan translations?

I'll just play what I get.

Evaansan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatry commentary
Even if you've played every Kiseki games you won't understand a thing because of the shitty machine translation nisa will release.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I forgot that fan translations are bastions of nuance and aren't riddled with mistakes. Why doesn't Falcom just buy the script and release it? Oh yes, mostly because it is half completed trash.

Look you guys can keep it up in burying interest in a series you like in the hopes of. . .I don't really know the endgame here. Permanent fan translations?

You act as if official translations can't also be bad.
2552902-2031246217-85554.jpg

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017

Fuck off with this. Regardless of what your opinion to approach the series is, shitting on the hard work of dedicated fans who's spent better parts of their lives putting those games in a playable enough state so that other fans can enjoy them even in an imperfect condition is beyond disgusting. People have the right to play the series in any order they want, but if a newcomer to the series approached the series with this same kind of attitude you got, then I'd also happily tell them to fuck off as well.

The fanbase doesn't need to be more toxic than it already is just so Kondo/Nisa can make a few more pennies.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I noted this in my first post in the thread though.
Not sure what your point is, then. No one is telling people to only play fan translations and not buy official releases. If the Crossbell games do get official localizations it's not going to be anytime soon, Kondo has been saying for years that they want to release them on more platforms and nothing has come of it. I know I'll rebuy them if they get officially localized, I already played CS 3 and 4 in Japanese but am double dipping to support the localization.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

maybe read my post again instead of trying to make your point through a tirade of fury

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't kept up

What's the word on a PC version? I'd rather it there, the versions are excellent

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Sounds like more time and money then I'm willing to invest in order to enjoy this game which is a shame because I loved Cold Steel 1/2 shot up to my top 10 jrpg's. I'm sure the supplementary games are good but I'm not buying and patching 2 50+ hour games and jumping through hoops to get one that was never released in Japan on top of the needing to buy and play all the translated games just to play Cold Steel 3.

Oct 17, 2018
I'm still massively sad about
the fact that you don't play as the main cast anymore (except Rean) and that you don't start as a higher level. One of my favourite things about CS2 was that it started you as a higher level since Rean obviously got stronger after CS1. These 2 things really makes me not even want to play CS3 even though I absolutely loved 1 and 2.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see the record low sales as fans talk people into downloading fan patches and importing and playing through 2 really long games from Japan instead of, I dunno, reading a wiki or something.

Anyway, as much as I want to be in, on the fence until NISA proves it put effort into it's localization, unlike Ys 8.
you don't even need to play CS3 or any other game honestly, you could just, i dunno, read a wiki or something

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't kept up

What's the word on a PC version? I'd rather it there, the versions are excellent

No word on it yet, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for it since NISA would be doing the PC port theoretically and their track record isn't stellar to say the least.

Please hire Durante to do it again please god

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Fuck off with this. Regardless of what your opinion to approach the series is, shitting on the hard work of dedicated fans who's spent better parts of their lives putting those games in a playable enough state so that other fans can enjoy them even in an imperfect condition is beyond disgusting. People have the right to play the series in any order they want, but if a newcomer to the series approached the series with this same kind of attitude you got, then I'd also happily tell them to fuck off as well.

The fanbase doesn't need to be more toxic than it already is just so Kondo/Nisa can make a few more pennies.
I don't care about fan translations, and toxic attitudes aren't going to change that.
Playing fan translations doesn't lead to regular translations and are a blip of sales.

Still haven't been told the end game on maligning actual translations, and I don't think it's done to get more fans to play the game, full stop.

It's just a bad strategy if you actually want more games. I just don't really think the fans that do this do.

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the fact that you don't play as the main cast anymore (except Rean) and that you don't start as a higher level. One of my favourite things about CS2 was that it started you as a higher level since Rean obviously got stronger after CS1. These 2 things really makes me not even want to play CS3 even though I absolutely loved 1 and 2.
the old class are guest members, and rean actually is a higher level than his students to signify their difference similar to how levels always get taken over between games

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
All of them minus Millium iirc
Last I heard the only one that was different was Millium (that was at a time when all the VA's hadn't been announced though).
There's still a few characters we haven't seen yet like Mcburn and
Osbourne,
but of everyone they showed all are returning besides Millium.

Edit: nvm, they brought the spoiler character's VA back
Thanks guys, that's good to hear.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That deluxe edition is a pretty good deal. Preordered.

Edit: for the record, I gave a longer look at the latest Ao patch last week (Flame's IIRC) and it's pretty solid, not great but not bad. So if people absolutely want to play the Crossbell games before this releases, they have the option of playing the really bad Zero translation, and the decent Ao translation.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about fan translations, and toxic attitudes aren't going to change that.
Playing fan translations doesn't lead to regular translations and are a blip of sales.

Still haven't been told the end game on maligning actual translations, and I don't think it's done to get more fans to play the game, full stop.

It's just a bad strategy if you actually want more games. I just don't really think the fans that do this do.

Bro i dont care about what you think about fan translations or "how they impact bringing over new games." This is me calling you out on your toxicity for shitting on the hard work of people who spent a lot of their unpaid time working on those fan translations of decade old great games that have been left to die on the PSP. A lot of people have enjoyed that immense amount of hard work, and you're out here shitting on those translators and the work in calling them garbage.

You can dislike fan translations but still respect the work people do at the same time. There's no need for your toxic bullshit around this fanbase.

People really be postin some headass shit

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Might get the deluxe version, cause why not. Wondering if I should play it at launch though. Ive only gone through cold steel 1 and 2, and I still wanted to go through sky and i guess crossbell before hand. I also wanted to play outer worlds at launch and there's no fucking way I can finish a trails game in three days.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm buying this to shelve it immediately. Don't think I'll go for digital. I want to literally put this on my book shelf because I love this series that much. I wish there was a way to own physical versions of the older games in English.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I haven't kept up

I'd be shocked if there isn't a PC version released by this time next year. NISA likely wants to avoid the Ys VIII fiasco so I assume they're going to make sure it's a good port this time.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
The deal doesn't interest me, personally, since I got a bigger discount on my Amazon.ca pre-order and I'd never buy the deluxe version, anyway, but I'm glad that NISA is keeping this game in the spotlight.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
that's how you do a preorder, with discount, not just pre order items (tho the items here just costumes)

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you watch the trailer on the PSN page it says the game is available now. 😐

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
I would assume this is the only version of the game that comes with this cosmetic DLC because they haven't bothered to mention it for any other version (including the Thors Academy bundle).

They clearly intend for the hardcore fans who want both the digital goodies and the physical goodies to buy the game twice. (Although I suspect that Cosmetics bundle will be made available as standalone DLC. They ought to at least clarify if that's a thing.)

This is lame as fuck, modern video games are annoying as hell with this nonsense.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like more time and money then I'm willing to invest in order to enjoy this game which is a shame because I loved Cold Steel 1/2 shot up to my top 10 jrpg's. I'm sure the supplementary games are good but I'm not buying and patching 2 50+ hour games and jumping through hoops to get one that was never released in Japan on top of the needing to buy and play all the translated games just to play Cold Steel 3.
I'm pretty sure you don't ****need**** to play the Crossbell games to enjoy it. You're just gatekeeping yourself from enjoying this game. And since you already spent a lot of your time with some of the characters from the game in 1 and 2, I'd play 3 if I were you

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'm pretty sure you don't ****need**** to play the Crossbell games to enjoy it. You're just gatekeeping yourself from enjoying this game. And since you already spent a lot of your time with some of the characters from the game in 1 and 2, I'd play 3 if I were you

Other posters in this thread seem to strongly disagree even if I have a strong attachment to the cast of 1/2 it's pointless if I'm just going to go in completely confused by everything happening. I appreciate you attempting to lighten my mood though.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Bro i dont care about what you think about fan translations or "how they impact bringing over new games." This is me calling you out on your toxicity for shitting on the hard work of people who spent a lot of their unpaid time working on those fan translations of decade old great games that have been left to die on the PSP. A lot of people have enjoyed that immense amount of hard work, and you're out here shitting on those translators and the work in calling them garbage.

You can dislike fan translations but still respect the work people do at the same time. There's no need for your toxic bullshit around this fanbase.

People really be postin some headass shit
Or I can not do that, advise people not to play unfinished trash translations from the 90's and call this fanbase out for it's shortsighted gatekeeping assed recommendations. You literally cannot tell a person how to feel. Get over yourself. Look above.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Every. Single. Thread.
You should play the Crossbell games (and "The 3rd" too).
CS III is a sequel to both CS II and Ao.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Other posters in this thread seem to strongly disagree even if I have a strong attachment to the cast of 1/2 it's pointless if I'm just going to go in completely confused by everything happening. I appreciate you attempting to lighten my mood though.

On the bright side there are many wonderful Kiseki games already in english you can still play, and all hope isn't lost for Crossbell to eventually make it west as Falcom does currently have plans to move it to modern platforms and are interested in talking with publishers to have it come to the west (though i wouldn't hope for anything very soon).

There's no pressure to be there on release day for CS3. Conversations are always happening around these games old and new for new players in the Kiseki community thread/OTs and if money is a concern, the game will probably get some good sales by then too.

Fans of the series still talk about Trails in the Sky like the game just came out a month ago and shit's a 15 year old game

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, so I am almost a complete noobie to this series.

Can I start with cold steel 1, or do I have to play that trails in the sky games first?

I tried the trails in the sky game and really did not like it at all. I quit after 7 or 8 hours.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm, so I am almost a complete noobie to this series.

Can I start with cold steel 1, or do I have to play that trails in the sky games first?

I tried the trails in the sky game and really did not like it at all. I quit after 7 or 8 hours.

You can play CS1 and 2 without playing Trails. There's only a few minor things you'll miss out on if you don't.

As for Zero and Ao....I've played both (almost done with Ao), and I agree with people, Zero's translation's....not bad, but it's not great either. I followed the storyline fairly well (tho I played the pc version which I think has a slightly edited translation). Ao's translation is really good. There's only a few minor issues. If you're waiting to play cs3 till after you play the crossbell arc, I would give the fan translations a shot. (especially since Ao's amazing.)

stizz

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
I had this preordered on a different site physical. I am going to cancel that pre-order and get this. More so I still want it physical so next year when the price drops 20-30 dollars I will pick it up.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Every. Single. Thread.
You should play the Crossbell games (and "The 3rd" too).
CS III is a sequel to both CS II and Ao.

Wait let me get this straight...
I played Tits, Tits SC, CS and CS2... and I ALSO have to play the crossbell games to understand CS3?

Are there any good youtube recaps/letsplay about these games?

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
I played Tits, Tits SC, CS and CS2... and I ALSO have to play the crossbell games to understand CS3?

Yep, it's highly recommended. There are fan translations available (can be a little rough untill the edited version is released).
And I guess there should be some summaries around.
The 3rd is available in english on PC. It's relatively short, and probably the best game in the series. Don't skip it.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I was planning to go digital on this like I did CS1&2. The preorder just made it a hella lot better with that PS+ discount for me.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
*Me, looking at the early enrollment edition*

7TvDlfc.jpg

Just search on youtube "ao no kiseki english" and you should get some playlists.

You're also missing TitS the third.

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Or I can not do that, advise people not to play unfinished trash translations from the 90's and call this fanbase out for it's shortsighted gatekeeping assed recommendations. You literally cannot tell a person how to feel. Get over yourself. Look above.
giphy.gif

why are you surprised? i think it is obvious by the point you're at that this is a series of heavily interconnected games.
Cold Steel 3 kind of is an unfortunate name for giving it's message, it is in all senses a sequel to all earlier games. Obviously it is still set in Erebonia but it does heavy call backs to things from Sky and Crossbell, the reason Crossbell is so important obviously is because of how CS2 ends but also Ao's epilogue.
I'd more describe Cold Steel 3 and 4 as a midseason finale of the series than just a sequel of two earlier games, by CS4 the world also has been moving forward by a huge margin.