• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For those who ware wondering about those, its confirmed:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/strumsl...y-collection-training-and-versus-mode-details

After the initial announcement, we saw lots of fan feedback hoping for Versus and Training Modes, even if the collection is focused on the arcade versions. It's because of this feedback that these modes have been added to the game. Since this is a brand new feature, Versus and Training Mode will be available as a day one patch on May 29. You must connect to the internet and download the patch in order to enable them.

Its for:
SF2: Hyper Fighting
SSF2 Turbo
SFA 3
SF3 3rd Strike

With all the talk about how "fans ruined everything", its good to see something proving that notion wrong. Training modes are essential to getting better in fighting games and Im very glad they are being added to the games.

Nov 28, 2017
Great news, but where do I demand Online Play in SFA2? In fact, fans across the FGC on the internet have been doing so ever since the reveal.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Eventually they need to add them for all 12 games in the collection, but it's a start.

JordanKZ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm here to complain about the lack of an arranged soundtrack option for 3rd strike. The arcade one is absymal in comparison.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, no training for 2nd Impact?

... Now I can't be bother buying it.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Mildly annoyed it's patch. Even old ports need patches.

I'd rather have online in Alpha 2 than training modes.

Adding Versus mode seems.. odd. Like, on one hand it should've been obvious but on the other, do these games allow for dip switches? You can just enable the Vs setting, no? Or go the slightly longer route of interrupting Arcade mode.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
It was but it was done the classic way of someone pushing start during an arcade run or in the character select screen. Now there's a separate Versus option as well.
You would've been able to do versus by pressing start during arcade mode I assume.

It's just more convenient that way.
Oh, okay, that's what I figured. I thought the "Press P2 Start" method had been excised completely for a second.

Good of them to add it as a menu option, then.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Only for the online games and via a patch?

Oh well, better than nothing.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It sucks that it's only limited to the games with online play, but I can see their logic in prioritizing those 4 games (since you'll need the lab time to potentially get the rust off before going online). Hopefully they expand this to the other games in a later update.

Speaking of potential future updates, a post-launch update adding online play for Alpha 2 would be nice.

Last edited:

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a heck of a lot better than no training at all or only the games with no netplay. I think it's super reductive to call this choice "fucking stupid" when it's pretty much the second best option overall.

I think it's pretty fucking stupid that there wasn't going to be any training or versus modes at all. I'm not going to give capcom kudos for doing not even the bare minimum for a fighting game collection of 20+ year old games in the year 2018.

You would've been able to do versus by pressing start during arcade mode I assume.

It's just more convenient that way.

No, that would mean winner wouldn't be able to change character after a win.

OP
OP
Quacktion

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that it's only limited to the games with online play, but I can see their logic in prioritizing those 4 games (since you'll need the lab time to potentially get the rust off before going online). Hopefully they expand this to the other games in a later update.

Speaking of potential future updates, a post-lunch update adding online play for Alpha 2 would be nice.

I would like to see something like Combo Trials added to the games as well, but thats a HUGE longshot.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
And still no Alpha 3 Upper or Max? If including the arcade release would be too hard just include a console port. People who want the original Arcade release wouldn't complain since base Alpha 3 is there too.

I'm confused. Local Versus wasn't going to be in this before?
There probably would be a standard Arcade Vs mode where the winner can't change character and stage is based on the challenger rather than chosen separately.

Dec 29, 2017
And still no Alpha 3 Upper or Max? If including the arcade release would be too hard just include a console port. People who want the original Arcade release wouldn't complain since base Alpha 3 is there too.

A3 Upper uses Sega's NAOMI hardware. Capcom would have to emulate that. It's probably too much "hard work" for them to emulate. Or they might have to get permission from Sega to emulate, which would cost money.

Oct 25, 2017
did they see the feedback where people asked for a more complete version of SFA3
A3 Upper uses Sega's NAOMI hardware. Capcom would have to emulate that. It's probably too much "hard work" for them to emulate. Or they might have to get permission from Sega to emulate, which would cost money.

this version of SFA3 will have less than the GBA port.

It's inexcusable

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I understand training only in the online ones.

I don't understand why versus is not for every game

[Edit: just saw that versus IS for every game. All is good]

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What about the PS2 version or the PSP version?

Same deal there?

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand training only in the online ones.

I don't understand why versus is not for every game

Versus is in every game.

Having a dedicated Versus Mode where you can choose your characters and stage is a mainstay for modern fighting games on console. That's why all 12 of these games will have a local Versus Mode where two players can duke it out against each other!

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Pretty much every Digital Eclipse/Backbone developed re-release in the last decade has been emulation based with the exception of MvC2 (which was based off the Dreamcast version code, but had some nasty visual bugs in the move to HD).

I don't really see them changing up on that to get something like Alpha 3 Upper or Max in this since that'd probably be more work than Capcom's willing to give them a budget for.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
The Arcade versions DID have local versus though. That shouldn't be an optional feature nor would one buying this collection not expect each of the games to have a basic versus mode.

Yeah, but not for training modes. Something about such a thing sullying the purity of the collection's mission to provide "the arcade experience" and nothing more.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this was ALWAYS planned and they are just spinning this announcement to say "Look we do listen to the fans!"

Because imagine the backlash Capcom would get if the game came out and we all tried to jump into non existent training mode. Huge backlash. I'm still excited for the game however

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this was ALWAYS planned and they are just spinning this announcement to say "Look we do listen to the fans!"

Because imagine the backlash Capcom would get if the game came out and we all tried to jump into non existent training mode. Huge backlash. I'm still excited for the game however

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Stupidity is a strong word, stronger than this case merits, I'll grant you, but I don't buy that there was a reason for missing that other than forgetfulness or lack of resources or time.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
give netcode to alpha 2 and remove the netcode for one of the SF2 version, duh!

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
It's a shame they had to wait on this instead of including those from the start.

Oct 27, 2017
Good start, but there is still a fair amount of stuff I still want:
  1. Give this option to the rest of the games in the collection.
  2. Give Street Fighter Alpha 2 an online mode, I'd say there's a bigger difference between that and Alpha 3, then there is between SF2 and SSF2.
  3. Add in Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper, it's an arcade game, yet they deciding to go with the version of Alpha 3 that is barely an upgrade from Alpha 2 in roster.
If they do this stuff I'll be in.