• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2699

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi TransEra! I just wanted to give y'all a quick update. I went makeup shopping with my friend, and it was an eye opening experience seeing the person I could be. I wasn't passing, buy I loved how cute I felt. Afterwards we went to grab a few drinks, and I told that I think I might be trans. She is so excepting it was great! She asked what pronouns that I prefered , and I told her she/her. I had to do everything in my power to not burst into tears in the middle of the bar. I also emailed a therapist that specializes I gender identity issues. I think my plan now is to come out to the rest of my friends at PAX since we will all be there together. I'm still not 100% sure where I'm at with everything, but this feels like the most excited that I have been about my future in years.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Hi TransEra! I just wanted to give y'all a quick update. I went makeup shopping with my friend, and it was an eye opening experience seeing the person I could be. I wasn't passing, buy I loved how cute I felt. Afterwards we went to grab a few drinks, and I told that I think I might be trans. She is so excepting it was great! She asked what pronouns that I prefered , and I told her she/her. I had to do everything in my power to not burst into tears in the middle of the bar. I also emailed a therapist that specializes I gender identity issues. I think my plan now is to come out to the rest of my friends at PAX since we will all be there together. I'm still not 100% sure where I'm at with everything, but this feels like the most excited that I have been about my future in years.
Awesome! Congrats! Turns out accepting yourself feels pretty good

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL

Congrats!!!

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019

That is so wonderful! :)

Congratulations and herzlicher Glückswunsch!

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Um... Hi TransEra, I'm 24 & have been really questioning my Identity for a few months now (I was born male but think I might be female). If I'm being honest, I have been having these thoughts since I was 16 but they really started hitting me last November. Every time I see a pretty girl now my first thought is I want to be them, when I see a nice dress at a clothing my first thought is to try it on, whenever I look at myself in the mirror I don't see 'me'. These thoughts are freaking me out a bit because for most of life I didn't have any doubt that I was a boy but I don't know anymore.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um... Hi TransEra, I'm 24 & have been really questioning my Identity for a few months now (I was born male but think I might be female). If I'm being honest, I have been having these thoughts since I was 16 but they really started hitting me last November. Every time I see a pretty girl now my first thought is I want to be them, when I see a nice dress at a clothing my first thought is to try it on, whenever I look at myself in the mirror I don't see 'me'. These thoughts are freaking me out a bit because for most of life I didn't have any doubt that I was a boy but I don't know anymore.
sounds familiar to a lot of people in here, myself included, i'm sure. it can be scary but these thoughts are worth exploring. try different modes of presenting in the safety of your home and see what feels good. Welcome to the community!

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
sounds familiar to a lot of people in here, myself included, i'm sure. it can be scary but these thoughts are worth exploring. try different modes of presenting in the safety of your home and see what feels good. Welcome to the community!
That might be a bit difficult as I live with my mom but I'll figure something out. Thanks for the advice & warm welcome! :)

maddieJ

Oct 27, 2017
South Portland, ME

Awesome and congrats! Even makeup shopping is a big step, as that is something I haven't been brave enough to seriously attempt yet.

Yeah, growing up not doubting your gender seems to be a common experience. I thought part of the trans experience was knowing when you were a kid, which is probably why it took me so long to allow my self to question my gender. It's hard to do (speaking from recent experience), but try not to let your previous certainty be a source of anxiety over you current uncertainty. When I started questioning, I was desperately trying to rack my brain for childhood memories that I could use as "proof" to validate my self to others, but it would just make me more anxious.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Yeah, growing up not doubting your gender seems to be a common experience. I thought part of the trans experience was knowing when you were a kid, which is probably why it took me so long to allow my self to question my gender. It's hard to do (speaking from recent experience), but try not to let your previous certainty be a source of anxiety over you current uncertainty. When I started questioning, I was desperately trying to rack my brain for childhood memories that I could use as "proof" to validate my self to others, but it would just make me more anxious.
Thanks for the advice. I always thought this was something people would be sure about really young as well.

Nov 27, 2019
If I'd had the vocabulary to describe things when I was younger, I might have figured things out a whole hell of a lot sooner. But I currently identify as a subspecies of genderfluid (trying to find a way to succinctly describe it is a fun hobby, because it ain't easy.), so it was never going to be as simple as "I think I'm really a woman" for me. Hell, if I hadn't found what I was looking for when I got a bee in my bonnet thinking I might be non binary last year, I'd have probably gone the rest of my life identifying entirely cis.

Deleted member 20850

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When I was a child trans women were still referred to as transsexual men here. Being any kind of man didn't really feel like a solution to me.

I just 'pretended' to be a girl/woman online and thought that's going to be as good as it is ever going to get.

Pretty sure the guy who explained to me that me feeling this way makes me a woman saved my life.

Nov 23, 2017
My first breast augmentation surgery in January went well (realignment). I'm just a couple weeks away from FFS in California!!!!!!!!! I can't contain my excitement. 2020 is the year of ME!!!

I got breast implants set for April, and my GRS set for July. Trying to get contouring done by the end of the year too.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had all the tools and terminology from being online for years but I still didn't figure it out until I was 30 (two years ago). It's a pretty Big Deal to rethink your entire personhood, basically, and that's not a barrier easily overcome, no matter what. But yeah, having the framework to understand what being trans even is does help a lot. Once I figured it out I started transitioning basically immediately.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I had all the tools and terminology from being online for years but I still didn't figure it out until I was 30 (two years ago). It's a pretty Big Deal to rethink your entire personhood, basically, and that's not a barrier easily overcome, no matter what. But yeah, having the framework to understand what being trans even is does help a lot. Once I figured it out I started transitioning basically immediately.
Yeah exactly this. I knew something was up since I was 16 but it didn't solidify properly until a few months ago (I'm 26)
And now hormones are happening and it rules

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I had a fairly good idea since I was very young. But there were no support networks or anything like that when I was growing up.

And as you say, rethinking your whole identity is hard.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone. I hope this is an okay place to ask this. (I know that starting a question like that isn't a great start, but please hear me out.) For necessary context: I'm a cis lesbian and my girlfriend is trans. The relationship is pretty new and I realized I'm just really ignorant to some aspects of safe sex and want to become very informed and safe for both our sake, so I made an appointment with planned parenthood. In your experience, do they provide good unbiased information? The locations nearby all list themselves as having LGBTQ focused staff and such but I just have no barometer for this and want to make sure I'm going to the right place. Unfortunately this is a (short) distance kind of relationship with her going to school a few cities away so I can't easily go see anyone she would recommend. Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to read or respond!

Deleted member 20850

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Transition is scary. But it's never too late. And some parts of it don't require medical intervention. For example, if you hate your voice you can train it to sound more feminine. Besides starting medical before social transition is possible.

And yes, men don't think about wishing to be a woman to that extend. But that mainly means that you are in all likelihood not a man but a woman.

Deleted member 2699

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I wanted to give y'all an update on how things went at PAX. I came out to the rest of my friends, and they were so accepting it was amazing. Some of them already had suspicions considering the way I had been acting leading up to PAX. They've started using female pronouns to address me, and I've gotten a jolt of euphoria every time they've said she/her. The show itself was great to. It was so validating having people compliment me on my cosplay, or asking for photos. Also I hope no one minds if I indulged with some photos:

88990131_2544556699003531_567118313671360512_o.jpg

85075135_2544557799003421_3918472288193740800_o.jpg

88191356_2547449078714293_3145681296525623296_o.jpg

The main thing that I noticed is how much more naturally smiling came to me. I never liked to smile before because I thought my smile was ugly, but now 90% of my photos are me smiling ear to ear. Overall I'm very excited for the future. I think I finally have a name picked out (Zoe or Zoey, not sure how I want to spell it yet), I'm starting to play around with different clothing and makeup styles, and I have an appointment at an informed consent clinic later this month so hopefully I can start HRT sooner rather than later. Everything is moving so quickly, but I'm here for it.

Also could anyone give me an invite to the discord channel?

Deleted member 20850

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I wanted to give y'all an update on how things went at PAX. I came out to the rest of my friends, and they were so accepting it was amazing. Some of them already had suspicions considering the way I had been acting leading up to PAX. They've started using female pronouns to address me, and I've gotten a jolt of euphoria every time they've said she/her. The show itself was great to. It was so validating having people compliment me on my cosplay, or asking for photos. Also I hope no one minds if I indulged with some photos:

88990131_2544556699003531_567118313671360512_o.jpg

85075135_2544557799003421_3918472288193740800_o.jpg

88191356_2547449078714293_3145681296525623296_o.jpg

The main thing that I noticed is how much more naturally smiling came to me. I never liked to smile before because I thought my smile was ugly, but now 90% of my photos are me smiling ear to ear. Overall I'm very excited for the future. I think I finally have a name picked out (Zoe or Zoey, not sure how I want to spell it yet), I'm starting to play around with different clothing and makeup styles, and I have an appointment at an informed consent clinic later this month so hopefully I can start HRT sooner rather than later. Everything is moving so quickly, but I'm here for it.

Also could anyone give me an invite to the discord channel?

Sounds and looks like you had a really great time. I am happy for you :)

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I think I'm ready to come out to my close friends & family though I'm a bit scared. The people I plan on telling are progressive so that helps but not knowing exactly what they will think is making me nervous. I also don't know exactly what I'm going to say or how I'm going to say it but I want to come out before the end of the week.

kennah

Nov 11, 2018
Transition is scary. But it's never too late. And some parts of it don't require medical intervention. For example, if you hate your voice you can train it to sound more feminine. Besides starting medical before social transition is possible.

And yes, men don't think about wishing to be a woman to that extend. But that mainly means that you are in all likelihood not a man but a woman.
It's never too late. I started my transition a few months before my 40th birthday last year. I've known since I was 6. This shit is hard.

maddieJ

Oct 27, 2017
South Portland, ME
I think I'm ready to come out to my close friends & family though I'm a bit scared. The people I plan on telling are progressive so that helps but not knowing exactly what they will think is making me nervous. I also don't know exactly what I'm going to say or how I'm going to say it but I want to come out before the end of the week.

What helped me was writing down what I wanted to say. When I came out to my sister, I kind of just winged it, with only vague ideas of what I wanted to say. it went fine, but I felt like I was rambling or forgetting stuff. With my parents, I planned out what I was going to say and wrote it out. When I did talk to them I didn't read what I wrote verbatim, but had my phone out, with my notes, so if I got off track or didn't know what to say next, I could refer to it to remind me what I wanted to say. My therapist had suggested this and I was hesitant about doing it at first, but in the end I was glad I had, because I felt like it really helped me say everything I needed too.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
What helped me was writing down what I wanted to say. When I came out to my sister, I kind of just winged it, with only vague ideas of what I wanted to say. it went fine, but I felt like I was rambling or forgetting stuff. With my parents, I planned out what I was going to say and wrote it out. When I did talk to them I didn't read what I wrote verbatim, but had my phone out, with my notes, so if I got off track or didn't know what to say next, I could refer to it to remind me what I wanted to say. My therapist had suggested this and I was hesitant about doing it at first, but in the end I was glad I had, because I felt like it really helped me say everything I needed too.
That's a really good idea. Even if I don't end up saying everything I write, having something to refer to will make things a bit easier. Thanks for the suggestion!

kennah

Nov 11, 2018
It's hard, especially at first. But it gets better and better. In the end it has been one of the best decisions in my life.
Agreed. I'm the happiest I've been in my entire life. Thankfully a lot of it has been easy for me. Didn't come as surprise to my partner and family and work wasn't fazed.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard, especially at first. But it gets better and better. In the end it has been one of the best decisions in my life.

I started when I was 27. One of the hardest moments of my life during a period where I was at my lowest. But it was one of the best decisions I ever made too.

I'm in my 30s now and my life has completely turned around. I don't regret it for a second, and everyone has noticed how much happier I am.

This is actually a really good technique for speaking publicly in general. Write down what you want to say and practice saying it out loud, even if it's to nobody in particular. Eventually, you'll be able to say it without hesitating for the real thing.

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

This hits me like a truck. My family would constantly tell me to never smile for pictures as a kid because I had "ugly teeth". Waking up one day and realizing who I was, then rejecting whatever insecurities my family would place on me has let me smile like never before. The feeling is amazing.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Kinda weird how I've been on this site for 3 years and still haven't posted in here.
I've transitioned 6 years ago and there are still things I'm pretty insecure about especially about being a heterosexual woman and being afraid about dating, not just about those horror stories you hear on the news and the internet but also with all the violence I personally faced by guys in my youth.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
apparently it's international trans day of visibility, so... happy being visible day! Coming out was the best thing I ever did for myself and I hope everyone who's not out yet will feel safe enough to do so soon.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not trans so I won't bog down the thread for too long but I wanted to just say that you all are brave and I hope your journeys, whether it involves coming out or not, go well and I hope that one day soon we can celebrate the ending of this pandemic and the injustices that are faced in society together. Happiness is your right as well as mine.

Deleted member 20850

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Coming out and starting to transition has been one of the best decisions of my life.

I started in my 30s and spend the better part of my 20s thinking it was too late. Glad I was wrong.

It's never too late or too early.

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019
I'm not seeing a whole lot of mentions of trans awareness today, so I just wanted say to anybody reading here that even in times like this - you do have people that give a shit about you, and you are valid and deserving of love and respect like everyone else. Fuck the haters, trans rights are human rights.

Oct 25, 2017
I just thought I'd share what my boyfriend texted me while I was at work:

Happy Trans Day of Visibility! Come home, so I can see you! 😍

Omoi

May 7, 2019
I've been struggling really badly for the last few days.
My hair is getting really thin up top. It has been for a year or so now, and I've been taking finasteride to try and slow it down, but it seems to be losing effectiveness now, and it's still at least another month or two before I'll be on HRT proper, so the dysphoria and just straight up panic attacks are happing almost daily now. It's ... a lot. I can't cope. My hair was my pride and joy, I dont want it to go 😭

Deleted member 20850

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been struggling really badly for the last few days.
My hair is getting really thin up top. It has been for a year or so now, and I've been taking finasteride to try and slow it down, but it seems to be losing effectiveness now, and it's still at least another month or two before I'll be on HRT proper, so the dysphoria and just straight up panic attacks are happing almost daily now. It's ... a lot. I can't cope. My hair was my pride and joy, I dont want it to go 😭

I used to be at the hair loss stage to just shave it while presenting male. I had enough regrowth on HRT to not require a wig anymore.

If you are going to start HRT soon your hair will most likely be fine. But I know it must still be hard on you right now.

Omoi

May 7, 2019
I used to be at the hair loss stage to just shave it while presenting male. I had enough regrowth on HRT to not require a wig anymore.

If you are going to start HRT soon your hair will most likely be fine. But I know it must still be hard on you right now.

I'm finding it really hard to judge how bad it actually is right now because my hair is very long, which kind of obscures it a little, but now no matter how I brush it, there's a spot on the crown where you can see some skin (though its not completely bald) and although if I wear it up it's not visible, it's still just tearing away at me knowing that its there.

Yeah, all I can do is just pray that HRT brings some back, or that if push comes to shove I can get acceptable results with surgery.

But I feel like whatever, I'm gonna shave my head on, or close to, day zero of HRT, so I can see what happens more clearly, and be able to more easily make a decision about whether its the wig life for me or not eventually.

Last edited:

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
I'm finding it really hard to judge how bad it actually is right now because my hair is very long, which kind of obscures it a little, but now no matter how I brush it, there's a spot on the crown where you can see some skin (though its not completely bald) and although if I wear it up it's not visible, it's still just tearing away at me knowing that its there.

Yeah, all I can do is just pray that HRT brings some back, or that if push comes to shove I can get acceptable results with surgery.

But I feel like whatever, I'm gonna shave my head on, or close to, day zero of HRT, so I can see what happens more clearly, and be able to more easily make a decision about whether its the wig life for me or not eventually.

Okay.

I have been obsessively studying hair loss and HRT for years.
Obsessively.
I am sorry for your situation. I can relate more than I care to detail.

I will try to help, if you can answer my questions.

1) What country do you live in?
2) How old are you?
3) What age did you start to notice your hair loss and how much has it progressed from there?
4) Is finasteride all you have taken so far / are taking right now?

Let me know what I need to know and we can discuss your options.

Omoi

May 7, 2019
Okay.

I have been obsessively studying hair loss and HRT for years.
Obsessively.
I am sorry for your situation. I can relate more than I care to detail.

I will try to help, if you can answer my questions.

1) What country do you live in?
2) How old are you?
3) What age did you start to notice your hair loss and how much has it progressed from there?
4) Is finasteride all you have taken so far / are taking right now?

Let me know what I need to know and we can discuss your options.

I live in Ireland, although also have access to some facilities in the UK.
I'm 28
I started noticing it when I was... 26? ish?
Yes, I have been taking it for about a year and a half, and it is still currently all I am taking.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

From my experience, HRT will definitely restore a lot of lost hair. I started taking Finasteride when I was losing mine, and it slowed the hair loss. But when I got on hormones proper, virtually all of it came back. You can't even tell I was having hair loss anymore.

Your results may vary, of course, but if you're about to start estrogen, I don't think you'll have to worry. Finasteride + Estrogen will help a LOT.

EDIT: A picture is worth a thousand words, or they say...

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
I live in Ireland, although also have access to some facilities in the UK.
I'm 28
I started noticing it when I was... 26? ish?
Yes, I have been taking it for about a year and a half, and it is still currently all I am taking.

Okay.

Good about your age vs the time you noticed loss. You would have had to have been losing it earlier than that to now notice it (it´s not apparent immediately), but two years since noticing is nothing in the scheme of hair loss.

I am assuming androgenic alopecia since that is what most trans women or no-binary people worry about, plus you would likely know if you had alopecia totalis or areata.

Okay. Here are your options prior to HRT:

1) Anti-androgen / DHT inhbitor options
Drop finasteride, take dutasteride. Dutasteride is a 5a reductase inhibitor, like finasteride, but stronger. It typically* blocks around 90% of serum DHT vs 60% of serum DHT for finasteride (DHT being the hormone that is most often thought to miniturise and kill hair). This might work for you. You would likely need to acquire it privately, but could do so from a UK chemist for on average of 24 Brexits (my German keyboard lacks a pound symbol) a month, or 144 Brexits up front (20 Brexits per month of tablets, up to 6 months orderable at one time, with a 24 Brexit prescription fee necessary for every order - hence why you would want to order the maximum amount each time). 0.5mg of dutasteride is stronger than 5mg of finasteride (I am not sure of your dose, if you´re taking 1 mg of finasteride then you may as well be taking 5 mg if you aim to feminise. The main side effects of a higher dose won´t matter to you - see below).

The chemist I would suggest is this, based on price and reliability.
They will need to issue a prescription via their online survey for you to get the prescription from them. If you tell them all you have told me and there´s nothing else alarming in your history then it´s almost certain they will sign off on it. You will have to tell them your are male to get the prescription, however, as their binary initial, automated questionnaire will cut you off if you say female because dutasteride is contraindicated for cis women due to pregnancy risks. DOn´t even mention your trans status, it will just confuse things and is irrelevant for their purposes.

Side effects for dutasteride are the same as finasteride. Most are tolerable for trans women because, if they happen, it´s just stuff like watery semen or reduced erection strength. I don´t know how that will impact upon you as a non-binary person though, so keep that in mind. Stuff that is in the danger zone anyway once HRT starts. It will not really affect HRT, except progesterone if you take that. They might interact to prevent eachothers effeciency. I don´t remember how. Depression is a possible side effect of both finasteride and dutasteride, but rare. Just keep tabs on it. Brain fog can occur on dutasteride for a while too, just like with finasteride.

I last used this service about four months ago, from Germany, and they mailed to me just fine.

* At some point your going to need a DHT blood test, either through whatever humane medical system Ireland presumably has or privately, to check your DHT levels. Ideally we would have one before your started finasteride / dutasteride and after being on them for a while, but that option is gone now. Why do this? Well, despite what some people will say, HRT is SO NOT a guarantee of hair loss restoration. The earlier you start, the better, and you are still in early days so hurray, but it is possible but rare for HRT to regrow literally NO hair. The prime reason for this, I believe based on recent investigations and discussions, is a 5a reductase enyzme excess. This means that no matter how much you testosterone is supressed or your 5a reductase enyzmes supressed (they convert testosterone, and other shit, into DHT), your body will have enough 5a reductase enzymes left to make plenty of DHT. I, for example, have essentially 0 testosterone but lots of DHT for a woman, seemingly for this reason. It is as a result of this that I suspect that I have regrown exactly zero lost hair in over two years of HRT. This is a rare outcome, I must stress that, but it´s worth keeping in mind as a fall back source of investigation in case you don´t get any regrowth results. If this came to pass, we would want to look at you having a androgen receptor inhibitor like bicalutamide, to block the action of DHT rather than futilely fight against its creation. Spironolactone and cyproterone acetate, anti-androgens, do this to some extent too, but as steroidal, partial agonist inhibitors of the androgen receptors they simultaneously weakly activate the androgen receptors rather than purely block it. And if you were exceptionally vulnerable to hair loss, this might not be sufficient to guard against it.

Again, this is a rare worst case scenario, but worth keeping in mind. Some doctors, like Dr Will Powers in the USA, would actually advise bicalutamide over spironolactone, cyproterone acetate, finasteride, or dutasteride as the anti-androgen component of your regimen, even if you didn´t have hairloss, but realistically you are not likely to find a doctor in the UK or Ireland who would agree to faciliate such a regimen, so let´s go with the most likely to work solution and worry about the fall back solution later, okay? No need to panic. If the main treatment otpion for trans feminisation doesn´t work then there are backup options. That´s the takeaway you should have.

2) Minoxidil. This fucker is an enigmatic hypertension medication which was discovered to aid in hair loss, years ago. It´s commonly called Regaine or Rogaine in the UK and USA. You can buy it over the counter as a topical or take it orally via prescription / import from Oceania (in low doses only - it´s a powerful hypertensive mediation and will mess you up if you are orally taking normal doses). Topical is usually said to be less effective than oral, but much safer and with fewer side effects (oral will increase the thickness of your body hair too, necessitating further laser treatment possibly). It doesn´t really seem to save hair from DHT, merely lengthen the growing phase of its life span, but as a complimentary treatment I have heard it work wonders for many people.

Be warned that if you take it, you may initially lose some hair. This is a good sign. It´ll be the minoxidil prematurely forcing affected hairs into their rest phase, so that they shed, before they come back stronger in 3 to 6 months.

3) Microneedling. You may want to leave this on the back burner because it is the most unreliable treatment here, but it shows most promise for being refined into a game changer in the future. Basically, shoving tiny (1mm) needles repeatedly into the scalp at a density of around 1600 holes per cm squared has been clinically shown to, in conjunction with topical minoxidil, increase hair thickness. It works by in simple terms tricking the skin into sensing damage and directing the repairation process to make new hair follicles. Crucially, microneedling + minoxidil is better than either microneedling or minoxidil in isolation, and reliably so.

I have seen cis men go from totally bald heads to full coverage using this, but I have seen more of them regain nothing from it. Being a DIY, physical treatment to the top of your own head, it´s very hard to get right in a way that it will definitely improve your situation, but even harder to get wrong to make it worse, so... it´s a complimentary option. You´d have to buy a microneedling pen, probably around 100 to 200 Euros, plus a new cartridge for the pen every 2 weeks or so (a couple of Euros each).

I can explain that in more detail if necessary, but honestly there´s a good chance you don´t need to bother using this too in your arsenal at the moment. Better news yet is that there are phase 3 clinical trials for a patented pen and treatment method specifically designed to hit the 1600 holes per cm squared which seem to trigger the WNT pathway and and quorum sensing necessary to induce new hair growth. Given that it´s just a specialised version of a device that millions of people buy on Amazon already, being using in conjunction with minoxidil and in a particular way, it´s likely that this won´t be a super long approval process for commercialisation. The scientists being this aforemention study claim it can increase hair density by up to 44% on the treated area over 3 months, so it may be a effective cure for most trans women or people who are willing to accept demasculinisation (unlike cis men) since the whole "DHT" cascade typically gets interrupted thereafter by HRT. Typically (andorgenic allopecia can affect cis women too, but it´s basically just the diet version of androgenic allopecia that cis men and pre-treatment trans women tend to get).

Long story short. If you want to try everything then I can provide more information and you can mix it up with minoxidil, but it´s probably too early to worry about that. Just keep it on your back up options and remember that a potentially game changing treatment for trans women may arrive in the future.

4) Don´t bother with PRP, stem cell injections, or "biospy hair transplants". It´s basically all snake oil shit with super marginal if any gains at high expense.

5) Hair transplant. IF your hair loss is localised to one area, and not totally bald, you will likely be able to use transplants to utterly restore the area. It´s costly though and the damage done by it (it causes scars around the back and/or sides of your head, albeit damage which should be virtually invisible due to hair coverage) means I strongly suggest you do not do this, no matter how down you feel, until you have tried all the other things and ensured that your hair loss has stabilised.

Trust me on this. It´s your ultimate fallback option, but that´s all it should be. It could be waste of scar tissue and money for you at this point if you make HRT gains (it probably is). Just keep it in your mind as a "I have a worst case option".

I won´t even explain it or discuss it in detail at this point because you don´t need to consider it yet.

6) Scalp micropigmentation.
Basically you have your head... tattooed with tiny dots which give the illusion of thicker hair (it´s not a coventional tattoo, but the term gives you the idea). It can be used to supplement thin hair or combined with a shaven head look to create a seamless, shaved, female pattern hairline look. Depending on the scale of loss, it could cost a few hundred to a couple thousand euros, last seven years, and only need a couple of hundred euros to top it up every several years. It can be combined with wigs to good effect when used for the shaven look. A shaved head can make applying wigs easier for some, and having a totally thick, shaved, female hairline look can be very affirming for somebody with hairloss potentially. If you want a female hairline, of course.

Once again, I don´t think you will need to do this, but it is yet another "fall back option" to help put your mind at some rest.

Do not mix it with microneedling (which will break the pigment and waste your money) or hair transplants (which will cause scarring which will itself need to be re-pigmented again) though.

HRT treatment:
Oestrogen.

Oestrogen both inhibits testosterone (and therefore DHT for the vast majority of people taking oestrogen therapy) at sufficiently high dosages, and has a directly beneficial role in hair growth. Pregnant cis women, for example, typically grow thicker, fuller hair during pregnancy as oestrogen levels rise.

Just... it´s good stuff, okay? It has a very good chance of helping.

Once oestrogen comes into play, you have the following options to consider for regimens that could help your hair loss:

a. high dose oestrogen monotherapy (to provide oestrogen and supress genital androgen creation - T, and indirectly DHT)
b. high dose oestrogen monotherapy (to provide oestrogen and supress genital androgen creation - T, and indirectly DHT) + bicalutamide (to block the negative actions of T/DHT on the andorgen receptors in your scalp)
c. moderate dose oestrogen therapy (to provide oestrogen) + spironolactone OR cyproterone acetate or a gonadotrophin releasing hormone antagonist to supress androgen creation - T, and indirectly DHT)

All of these can be combined with a 5a reductase inhibitor (DHT creation reducer - finasteride or dutasteride) and/or minoxidil (hair growth cycle aid) and/or microneedling (WNT pathway / quorum sensing activator) as further modifiers.

In the UK, and probably Ireland if it is anything like the UK, they will probably end up putting you on option C. Likely a gel or patch of oestrogen coupled with an anti-androgen of some kind. Other options for oestrogen intake are pills (either swallowed or sublingally/buccally absorbed) or injections, but most European countries seem to be stingy about allowing those options.

Any of these combinations will likely generate results for you.

I know that was a LOT to take in, but the important things to take away are that you have options and you are in a pretty early stage still. If one thing does not work for you, you have room to investigate why it might not be working and then adapt to another regimen. There are a lot of mechanisms listed here to tackle different aspects of hair loss and recovery.

Any questions?

I have one for you. What´s the legal status of self medicating with trans feminine hormones in Ireland?
It´s legal in the UK for comparison (and basically necessary because the UK is a TERF ireland designed to kill trans women), and the answer + your williness to do so will alter the options you have available right now.

But... don´t panic right now, okay?
You are in a good position to turn this around.

Last edited:

Omoi

May 7, 2019
Emmaginary Thanks for all the information! It's really helpful, and yeah, I have not yet given up hope. Honestly just talking about it with other people who understand is doing a lot to keep me calm. I will try and get a DHT test organised soon, I believe it should be pretty straightforward.

Most of the hair regrowth pictures I see from trans women online relate to the hairline, and that's not really what I'm worried about, it's up top thats the issue for me.

Self medding in Ireland is essentially Illegal, as importing prescription meds into the country is not allowed, however I've heard from plenty of trans women here that as long as you're getting it from in the EU, it usually won't be stopped by customs, so that's potentially a route I could try. If push really comes to shove, I can just order things to the UK and go and pick it up and bring it back, and a one day trip every 3 months or so is not really a big deal.

However, that shouldn't be necessary, because I will have a prescription for Estrogen coming my way in the next month or so. I am using GenderGP, which gives you a valid EU prescription, which I can use in any pharmacy here without any issue. Long term, I don't really know though, if I actually want care through either the british or irish national health services the waiting period is about 3 years, and while I'm on both waitlists, I don't know which country I'll actually be living in at that point, so hey, we'll see.

Last edited:

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
Emmaginary Thanks for all the information! It's really helpful, and yeah, I have not yet given up hope. I will try and get a DHT test organised soon, I believe it should be pretty straightforward.

Most of the hair regrowth pictures I see from trans women online relate to the hairline, and that's not really what I'm worried about, it's up top thats the issue for me.

Self medding in Ireland is essentially Illegal, as importing prescription meds into the country is not allowed, however I've heard from plenty of trans women here that as long as you're getting it from in the EU, it usually won't be stopped by customs, so that's potentially a route I could try. If push really comes to shove, I can just order things to the UK and go and pick it up and bring it back, and a one day trip every 3 months or so is not really a big deal.

However, that shouldn't be necessary, because I will have a prescription for Estrogen coming my way in the next month or so. I am using GenderGP, which gives you a valid EU prescription, which I can use in any pharmacy here without any issue. Long term, I don't really know though, if I actually want care through either the british or irish national health services the waiting period is about 3 years, and while I'm on both waitlists, I don't know which country I'll actually be living in at that point, so hey, we'll see.

What are Gender GP going to prescribe you?

Do you know the dose, the method of application for the oestrogen?
Are they just giving you an oestrogen to go with finasteride? I hope not.

I have... concerns with Gender GP that I feel obliged to share with you can navigate around them, but it has been approaching two years since I dealt with them so I may be wrong.

I promsie that I have seen dozens of trans women regrowth pictures through HRT that improved the crown, and even cis men inadvisably taking diet HRT to achieve the same results. I have seen crowns regrow with minoxodil + microneedling alone in exceptional cases.

Crowns can be regrown.