• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has truly been an incredible waste of time. I was certain it would be from the very start, so at least I am validated in that regard. People can tell me I'm giving up too soon, but they're wrong. I already know the truth, and I'm not going to keep placing the carrot on the stick (one more year on HRT! one more surgery!) when it's painfully obvious how futile it all is, and that I'm only prolonging my own suffering.

All that's really left do is find a younger trans person to give my savings to, and find a closet big enough to hang myself in, now that would be some great irony for sure.

When you go into something expecting it to turn out terribly, you're going to be zeroing in on every possible negative that can pop up instead of focusing on the positives that are happening around you. I'd really recommend looking into this resource and trying to recognize which of these that you're falling into and see if you can challenge them at all : https://www.klearminds.com/blog/cognitive-distortions-thinking-errors-can-cbt-help/

And the issues that you need to work on to make yourself happy aren't just waiting around on HRT or getting a surgery. While you are really early on HRT, especially since you only recently managed to fix your dosages to the right levels, you need to talk about, and figure out why you feel the way you do about trans identities. Until you can work through those feelings and start to see trans people as valid, then you will always have that block that's really preventing you from seeing yourself in a positive light. I'm here to help any time you need it Geirskogul, and I'll always be here when you're ready to dig into this. I know that you can get through this, we just have to work at this some!

Last edited:

Kaywee

Oct 28, 2017
This has truly been an incredible waste of time. I was certain it would be from the very start, so at least I am validated in that regard. People can tell me I'm giving up too soon, but they're wrong. I already know the truth, and I'm not going to keep placing the carrot on the stick (one more year on HRT! one more surgery!) when it's painfully obvious how futile it all is, and that I'm only prolonging my own suffering.

All that's really left do is find a younger trans person to give my savings to, and find a closet big enough to hang myself in, now that would be some great irony for sure.

Any thoughts of suicide should be dealt with by a trip to the hospital. The fact that you posted here says there is at least part of you that is holding on, so I suggest that you seize on that opportunity to get some help.

If you aren't willing to do that can I at least suggest some Cognitive behavioral therapy because I think it might be of some benefit since there are all sorts of distorted thinking patterns going on in your post.

HRT is not instantaneous as much as we would all like it to be. It will take between 2-5 years for all things to settle out. When we look at ourselves in the mirror everyday we are not likely to see the small changes taking place, especially when we are in a depressed state.

By constantly telling yourself nothing will change or get better you are creating a self fulfilling prophecy of failure. You can't know what the future will hold in terms of transition because no one can predict the future. I also think it might be a good idea to challenge your ideals of what a woman is because what we generally see in media is very misleading.

Try to get outside more and soak up that vitamin D. Isolation can also warp perspective and I can attest to that fact. Try to get out into the world and be with people in a meaningful way. It is pride month so there are always lots of volunteer activities along with other opportunities to meet with up with others. Take a 3 month vacation from gaming and use that time to go to the gym or hiking with a friend. Be present in your community in a positive way and you will find hope.

This might seem like it's easier said than done but it isn't the case.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown

Hold onto life, Geirskogul. You are a unique and precious human being. It's not lifeless money that the trans community and the world needs, they need you.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
My friend is transgender she transitioned without medical supervision and I'm scared for her health. I know she did her research but we live in a country that literally jails LGBTQ people and she generally can't seek the medical help she needs. On top of all of this I think she's stopped taking HRT for a job, she presents as male in her job and I was wondering if any of this can be detrimental to her health whether mental or physical. Should I even be involved or should I leave her alone? I'm just so terribly sad for her.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My friend is transgender she transitioned without medical supervision and I'm scared for her health. I know she did her research but we live in a country that literally jails LGBTQ people and she generally can't seek the medical help she needs. On top of all of this I think she's stopped taking HRT for a job, she presents as male in her job and I was wondering if any of this can be detrimental to her health whether mental or physical. Should I even be involved or should I leave her alone? I'm just so terribly sad for her.
Honestly, (and without knowing the specifics) the best thing you can do is just be there for her as a friend. Ask how she is doing, and just reassure her if need be. It sounds hard what she is going through. Hopefully everything can work out for her.

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
On top of all of this I think she's stopped taking HRT for a job, she presents as male in her job and I was wondering if any of this can be detrimental to her health whether mental or physical.

This depends on the person really.

I personally present very much male at work, but also understand and accept that I have to. I look at going to work as wearing a uniform, like millions of other people do.

Kaywee

Oct 28, 2017

HRT comes with some risks if unsupervised but if she was getting regular blood work it should be o.k.... which I doubt because of what you wrote. I know from my own experience that starting and stopping HRT made me a bit manic for a while, till the hormones leveled out again. Stopping HRT entirely will most likely come with some depression especially when your friend is presenting as male again.

I spent many years presenting as male at work while living as a female everywhere else. It was extremely hard on me mentally which is why I turned to unhealthy coping strategies (Addictions). By your own description your friend doesn't have a lot of options currently and she will need a lot of support to get through it. It won't be easy and I wish her luck.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, (and without knowing the specifics) the best thing you can do is just be there for her as a friend. Ask how she is doing, and just reassure her if need be. It sounds hard what she is going through. Hopefully everything can work out for her.

I'll try to be there for her.

This depends on the person really.

I personally present very much male at work, but also understand and accept that I have to. I look at going to work as wearing a uniform, like millions of other people do.

This sounds like a good way to cope with it, and she's happy at her job because it's the first "real job" she's ever had but I'm just afraid of the endgame here, I know she has to put on a face for work but it's like she's letting go of her identity.

HRT comes with some risks if unsupervised but if she was getting regular blood work it should be o.k.... which I doubt because of what you wrote. I know from my own experience that starting and stopping HRT made me a bit manic for a while, till the hormones leveled out again. Stopping HRT entirely will most likely come with some depression especially when your friend is presenting as male again.

I spent many years presenting as male at work while living as a female everywhere else. It was extremely hard on me mentally which is why I turned to unhealthy coping strategies (Addictions). By your own description your friend doesn't have a lot of options currently and she will need a lot of support to get through it. It won't be easy and I wish her luck.

I'll try talking to her and listen to what she has to say, I hope she manages to cope with it and I'll try to support her through it.

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
This sounds like a good way to cope with it, and she's happy at her job because it's the first "real job" she's ever had but I'm just afraid of the endgame here, I know she has to put on a face for work but it's like she's letting go of her identity.

Here's the thing, I wear women's clothes to work.. just not stuff that is blatantly for women (think skirts, dresses, blouses). Getting rid of most of my male clothes in the process.

There isn't a huge difference between men's and women's jeans and pants, for example. Except pockets. A CRIMINAL lack of pockets.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing, I wear women's clothes to work.. just not stuff that is blatantly for women (think skirts, dresses, blouses). Getting rid of most of my male clothes in the process.

There isn't a huge difference between men's and women's jeans and pants, for example. Except pockets. A CRIMINAL lack of pockets.
Incidentally this is why I doubt I'll fully get rid of men's clothes. I'd be more focused on something nice for on top, while keeping my damn pockets.

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Incidentally this is why I doubt I'll fully get rid of men's clothes. I'd be more focused on something nice for on top, while keeping my damn pockets.
I've been lucky to find a few pairs with either a normal back pocket or front pockets, but not many. The cargo pants I have have full pockets.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
What I don't understand is the stopping hrt to work as male .... like most mens uniform hide everything and the slow changes will mean most people that see you everyday and not know will not even notice anything happened =P

And I don't mean that in a "hrt makes little changes" but more in a "parent that sees a 15 year old as a 8 year old" way

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
Theresa May launches long-awaited transgender consultation despite anti-trans backlash

The government has finally launched a much-anticipated consultation on gender recognition procedures for transgender people.

Prime Minister Theresa May announced a year ago that the government would seek to make changes to the 2004 Gender Recognition Act, to simplify the bureaucratic process for transgender people to change their legal gender on their birth certificate.

The consultation was originally set to launch in 2017, but has suffered from repeated delays amid strong backlash from some media commentators and self-identified radical feminist campaigners.

However it was finally launched today by equalities minister Penny Mordaunt, who also this week set out an LGBT Action Plan vowing to outlaw gay 'cure' therapy.

The government is considering changes to current stipulations that require trans people to have their gender recognition signed off by doctors, obtain consent from their spouse, 'prove' they have lived in their chosen gender for two years, and pay £140.

I'd quote more but c&p seems to be acting up on that site lol

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Oh thank fuck. I'm glad for you guys!

Now if only our administration could at least have these bones to throw our way rather than doubling down on everything bad about the GOP and throwing new shit on the pile.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not too wild on piercing my ears. Plus there seem to be some nice looking clip ons that I could try when I do feel like it.

Kaywee

Oct 28, 2017
Piercing your ears isn't that bad pain wise. It kinda feels like someone flicking you with a rubber band, so if it's a fear thing it's best to jump in and do it. The more you give in to fear the bigger it gets.

I don't remember it being that expensive when I got mine pierced 3 years ago and I doubt the price has jumped much. I think it was $30.oo with tax in a reputable place.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, just a friendly reminder to anyone who's interested that we do have a discord server for the community! The info is now in the OP, but I'll post it here as well!

We have a Discord server set up for the members of this community who identify as transgender, non-binary, or are questioning in some way. We're a supportive community that likes to talk about our day to day lives and just generally hang out, while also supporting each other with any trans or mental health related needs by pulling from our own experiences and journeys. For the privacy and comfort of our members, we do keep invites private, so if you'd like to join, please contact SweetNicole , Selina . Robin ,or Llyrwenne.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Hello, all!

Just wanted to drop by to say hi after seeing the link to this thread that Robin left in the LGBTQera thread.

I have felt for a while now that we cis members of the LGBTQ+ community need to do better when it comes to supporting our fellow trans members, and it breaks my heart to see transphobic comments and behavior coming from people within our community, of all places.

I want you all to know that, as an ally, I stand in solidarity with you. I may not be trans, but I don't need to be in order to know that all of you should be treated like human beings; worthy of rights and respect. I have been so humbled and inspired by the courage those of you who have chosen to live in your truth openly, regardless of the consequences. And to those of you still who feel like it is too dangerous to share that part of yourself with the world, I encourage you to continue taking whatever measures you need to protect yourself; when the time is right, you will know.

And finally, to those of you who are unhappy with you who are, for whatever reason, I hope you can someday find it within yourself to see the beauty that rests within you, as a person, because it most certainly does, if you'll allow yourself to see it. And whatever you want to achieve in life, try not to give up on those aspirations; you just might surprise yourself!

I love you all from the depths of my heart!

Cheers!

Secret Fawful

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hi, trans-ERA.

I'm a 27 year old pansexual, non-binary/gender fluid person just looking for more spaces that are accepting of people like me. I tend to be more of a feminine person, and I've caught flak for it even from other non-binary people IRL, so I'm trying to find less toxic spaces and build confidence in myself and being open with my identity. Yay!

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, trans-ERA.

I'm a 27 year old pansexual, non-binary/gender fluid person just looking for more spaces that are accepting of people like me. I tend to be more of a feminine person, and I've caught flak for it even from other non-binary people IRL, so I'm trying to find less toxic spaces and build confidence in myself and being open with my identity. Yay!

Hey there Fawful! Welcome to the thread : ) . I'm sorry you've had trouble with other trans and NB people in the past, it's really shitty when people think they have a right to tell you how to express your gender or sexuality, that's no ones business but your own. I hope you feel more welcome here!

Hello, all!

Just wanted to drop by to say hi after seeing the link to this thread that Robin left in the LGBTQera thread.

I have felt for a while now that we cis members of the LGBTQ+ community need to do better when it comes to supporting our fellow trans members, and it breaks my heart to see transphobic comments and behavior coming from people within our community, of all places.

I want you all to know that, as an ally, I stand in solidarity with you. I may not be trans, but I don't need to be in order to know that all of you should be treated like human beings; worthy of rights and respect. I have been so humbled and inspired by the courage those of you who have chosen to live in your truth openly, regardless of the consequences. And to those of you still who feel like it is too dangerous to share that part of yourself with the world, I encourage you to continue taking whatever measures you need to protect yourself; when the time is right, you will know.

And finally, to those of you who are unhappy with you who are, for whatever reason, I hope you can someday find it within yourself to see the beauty that rests within you, as a person, because it most certainly does, if you'll allow yourself to see it. And whatever you want to achieve in life, try not to give up on those aspirations; you just might surprise yourself!

I love you all from the depths of my heart!

Cheers!

Sorry I sat on responding to this for a bit. This was a lovely post and I appreciate you taking the time to write it. Minority groups like the LGBT are capable of bigotry just like anyone else, and there are plenty of trans people who need checking too. In the same way that some cis queer people can harbor transphobic views, we have our own problems with bigotry towards nb and masc trans people from within our own trans community. It's not unusual to see transpeople who think that their experience is the only valid way forward, gatekeeping other transpeople the same way others gatekept them. We should all aim to be our best selves and work to break down barriers instead of erecting them. It's pretty basic stuff and it's echoed all the time, but it bears repeating. If we all strive to be a little more empathetic the world will be better for all of us. When I see TERFs and intolerant LGBT I try and remind myself that they do not speak for all of us.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Sorry I sat on responding to this for a bit. This was a lovely post and I appreciate you taking the time to write it. Minority groups like the LGBT are capable of bigotry just like anyone else, and there are plenty of trans people who need checking too. In the same way that some cis queer people can harbor transphobic views, we have our own problems with bigotry towards nb and masc trans people from within our own trans community. It's not unusual to see transpeople who think that their experience is the only valid way forward, gatekeeping other transpeople the same way others gatekept them. We should all aim to be our best selves and work to break down barriers instead of erecting them. It's pretty basic stuff and it's echoed all the time, but it bears repeating. If we all strive to be a little more empathetic the world will be better for all of us. When I see TERFs and intolerant LGBT I try and remind myself that they do not speak for all of us.

No problem. Thanks for responding with such an insightful post.

I will never forget when I saw Caitlyn Jenner on Ellen as she literally struggled to come to terms with accepting gay marriage. Like, how does that even happen? It was a sobering moment for me that showed me how selfish people can be, regardless of them being a minority, and it's why I have to examine myself regularly to make sure that I'm not making the same mistakes when it comes to infringing on the rights of other types of minorities, which is apparently an easy thing to do if you're not paying attention!

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
No problem. Thanks for responding with such an insightful post.

I will never forget when I saw Caitlyn Jenner on Ellen as she literally struggled to come to terms with accepting gay marriage. Like, how does that even happen? It was a sobering moment for me that showed me how selfish people can be, regardless of them being a minority, and it's why I have to examine myself regularly to make sure that I'm not making the same mistakes when it comes to infringing on the rights of other types of minorities, which is apparently an easy thing to do if you're not paying attention!

Yep! Plenty of Caitlyn Jenners and Log Cabin Republicans out there in the world. Just gotta be careful to check yourself and stay open minded I guess, and constantly try and evolve on the issues. I don't want to think about what backwards things I took for truth 10 years ago. If you can't self-examine, you can't grow.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
My trans son wants me to help him buy a binder. I'm not sure where to start. It's more complicated because he just turned 12. The sizing already looked difficult, but obviously he will be growing after I buy it. Does anyone have any advice?

Deleted member 20429

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, I'm noticing lately that there has been a real spotlight on transgender issues lately (at least in the UK with the government looking to reform the Gender Recognition Act) and it seems that any trans space I go to that isn't here just ends up getting swarmed with hate.

I've taken steps now that I don't bother with pretty much all trans communities except the odd visit to New posts inthis thread (which isn't often) in an attempt to escape it but it's caught mainstream attention so much that I can't seem to go a day without seeing someone hating on trans people.

Now I'm normally quite strong in the face of stuff like this but seeing it daily while activity taking steps to avoid it is just slowly chipping away at me piece by piece. I'm hitting the point where it's seriously depressing me and it's starting to really effect my work and life.

Does anyone else feel this way? How do you deal with it short of just completely removing yourself from online spaces and almost isolating yourself?

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
How do you deal with it short of just completely removing yourself from online spaces and almost isolating yourself?

That's exactly what I do for the most part. I try to engage people who have questions and try to share experiences, but I get very anxious when people talk about killing themselves... which I really was never exposed to before.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm noticing lately that there has been a real spotlight on transgender issues lately (at least in the UK with the government looking to reform the Gender Recognition Act) and it seems that any trans space I go to that isn't here just ends up getting swarmed with hate.

I've taken steps now that I don't bother with pretty much all trans communities except the odd visit to New posts inthis thread (which isn't often) in an attempt to escape it but it's caught mainstream attention so much that I can't seem to go a day without seeing someone hating on trans people.

Now I'm normally quite strong in the face of stuff like this but seeing it daily while activity taking steps to avoid it is just slowly chipping away at me piece by piece. I'm hitting the point where it's seriously depressing me and it's starting to really effect my work and life.

Does anyone else feel this way? How do you deal with it short of just completely removing yourself from online spaces and almost isolating yourself?

I don't think that you need to completely remove yourself from online spaces really, but picking and choosing where you look is definitely something that we can choose to do. On twitter, I make sure to only follow positive people/friends, and I only really talk about trans related stuff here and in the discord now. Surrounding myself with more positive people, including other trans people, helps me a lot with dealing with all of the hate that we see out there.

Oct 26, 2017
Hi, TransERA,

What's the appropriate response to someone who asks you "how long have you been doing drag?". In a LGBTQ club in all places

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, TransERA,

What's the appropriate response to someone who asks you "how long have you been doing drag?". In a LGBTQ club in all places

"Fuck off, I'm not a drag queen"

Or if you wanted to be nice, you could just tell them that you're not in drag at all, and that you're just a woman. That's awful that someone would even think of saying that to you, but its possible that they weren't trying to be rude. And if they were, then just being polite and showing that you won't let it get to you might be better for annoying them.

Yukiko™

Oct 25, 2017
Hi

I'm still figuring things out. I'm just looking for people to talk to really. I'm a little afraid to talk about myself.

Oct 26, 2017
"Fuck off, I'm not a drag queen"

Or if you wanted to be nice, you could just tell them that you're not in drag at all, and that you're just a woman. That's awful that someone would even think of saying that to you, but its possible that they weren't trying to be rude. And if they were, then just being polite and showing that you won't let it get to you might be better for annoying them.

Thank you for the response. I was just stunned that was the leap made rather than this person simply asking for introductions.

Hi

I'm still figuring things out. I'm just looking for people to talk to really. I'm a little afraid to talk about myself.

You are welcome to feel afraid just as you are welcome into this thread to discuss at your own pace. Why don't you tell us Abir about yourself? :)

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi

We're here for you Yukiko. Feel free to talk about anything that's going on with you and we'll help however we can! If you need it to be more private, you can always PM me as well!

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that you need to completely remove yourself from online spaces really, but picking and choosing where you look is definitely something that we can choose to do. On twitter, I make sure to only follow positive people/friends, and I only really talk about trans related stuff here and in the discord now. Surrounding myself with more positive people, including other trans people, helps me a lot with dealing with all of the hate that we see out there.

Echoing off of this, this is basically what I am doing. I left Imgur because it's become an alt-right cesspool among other things, and deleted a number of social media accounts I had under my dead name since a lot of family are utter asshats (think your typical Trump voter who doesn't give a shit about anyone but themselves).

I created some social media accounts again, but they're private and I'm very selective about who gets added.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Tomorrow I find out when I can bank... And that will be the day I start E!

17 years repressed... 2 months of serious internal debates... Time to see if I can live life as myself as well as possible.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Hi

If you're looking for someplace a little more private to talk, I'd recommend the TransEra discors, or feel free to shoot me a PM.

Tomorrow I find out when I can bank... And that will be the day I start E!

17 years repressed... 2 months of serious internal debates... Time to see if I can live life as myself as well as possible.

Yay hormones! You got this.

My trans son wants me to help him buy a binder. I'm not sure where to start. It's more complicated because he just turned 12. The sizing already looked difficult, but obviously he will be growing after I buy it. Does anyone have any advice?

I would recommend trying /r/asktransgender on reddit or /r/ftm.

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
So Instagram basically outed me to someone at work, a place where I'm very careful NOT to be out.

Luckily my makeup was good enough that there was only a small resemblance to what I look like on a daily basis.

Deleted member 20850

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After openly living as myself since last November I finally went through the rather pointless therapy requirements here in Germany and got the ok to start hormone treatment.

If that goes as planned I should be able to start in September :)

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Hello there.
Not really sure how best to go about this introduction. Forgive me if this is all a bit awkward.

Whew. Alright.
Spent the better part of my twenties ignoring how I felt, just trying to be as neutral as possible. While I knew something was up as a teenager, but didn't really have the knowledge or vocabulary to express myself properly.

Now, in my early thirties, I think I've finally been able to get a handle on what the disconnect that had been itching away at me for so long meant. Had a year or so to really put it all together in my head. Been a long road to getting here, but I feel good to finally say out loud that I am a transwoman.

And that I also have no idea what to do next. ^.^;

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Hello there.
Not really sure how best to go about this introduction. Forgive me if this is all a bit awkward.

Whew. Alright.
Spent the better part of my twenties ignoring how I felt, just trying to be as neutral as possible. While I knew something was up as a teenager, but didn't really have the knowledge or vocabulary to express myself properly.

Now, in my early thirties, I think I've finally been able to get a handle on what the disconnect that had been itching away at me for so long meant. Had a year or so to really put it all together in my head. Been a long road to getting here, but I feel good to finally say out loud that I am a transwoman.

And that I also have no idea what to do next. ^.^;

If you so desire, Hormone Replacement Therapy. This will require seeing a doctor or therapist or going the informed consent route at a place like Planned Parenthood.

Feel free to send me a message privately if you have any questions. I don't bite much. ;)

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
If you so desire, Hormone Replacement Therapy. This will require seeing a doctor or therapist or going the informed consent route at a place like Planned Parenthood.

Feel free to send me a message privately if you have any questions. I don't bite much. ;)
Thank you.

I must admit, as liberating as it was to finally admit this to myself, it's opened up a whole new set of concerns, both big and small. Don't worry, though. I'm managing. Just need to take things in steps, right?

The first one shall find a professional I can talk to and see where it goes from there.