• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

munancho

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The Frog of War

When biologist Tyrone Hayes discovered that a top-selling herbicide messes with sex hormones, its manufacturer went into battle mode. Thus began one of the weirdest feuds in the history of science.

Darnell lives deep in the basement of a life sciences building at the University of California-Berkeley, in a plastic tub on a row of stainless steel shelves. He is an African clawed frog, Xenopus laevis, sometimes called the lab rat of amphibians. Like most of his species, he's hardy and long-lived, an adept swimmer, a poor crawler, and a voracious eater. He's a good breeder, too, having produced both children and grandchildren. There is, however, one unusual thing about Darnell.

He's female.

Genetically, Darnell is male. But after being raised in water contaminated with the herbicide atrazine at a level of 2.5 parts per billion—slightly less than what's allowed in our drinking waterhe developed a female body, inside and out. He is also the mother of his children, having successfully mated with other males and spawned clutches of eggs. Recently he was moved to an atrazine-free tank and has turned lanky, losing the plump, pincushion look of a female frog. But last March, when UC-Berkeley integrative biology professor Tyrone B. Hayes opened him up to take a look, Darnell's insides were still female. "He still has ovaries, but there's no eggs in them," Hayes told me the next day as we stood watching the frog, who swam over and inspected us soberly, then turned and flopped away.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2012/02/tyrone-hayes-atrazine-syngenta-feud-frog-endangered/

The Weed Killer That Turns Male Frogs into Female Frogs Could Be in Your Tap Water

The European Union just banned two agricultural weed killers linked to infertility, reproductive problems and fetal development - the first-ever EU ban on endocrine-disrupting pesticides. That's good news for Europeans. But as in Europe, many endocrine-disrupting weed killers remain widely used on American crops, and from farm fields make their way into drinking water and food.

One of the most widely used and most troublesome endocrine-disrupting pesticides in the U.S. is atrazine. Manufactured by agro-chemical giant Syngenta, atrazine is sprayed mostly on Midwest corn fields and is consistently one of the most detected crop chemicals in drinking water.

Tests by the Environmental Protection Agency have repeatedly found atrazine in Midwestern drinking water sources that exceed levels of concern for infants and children. In 2009 The New York Times reported that an estimated 33 million Americans have been exposed to atrazine through their taps.

The hormone-disrupting qualities of atrazine have been well-documented, most notably by Tyrone Hayes, a professor of biology at the University of California at Berkeley. His extensive research has shown the chemical altered the reproductive systems in frogs.

In 2010, Hayes and a team of researchers exposed 40 male tadpoles to water with atrazine at 2.5 parts per billion - well within the EPA's established drinking water standards. Roughly one-tenth of the frogs that grew in the atrazine-tainted water become "functionally female," Hayes reported.

Atrazine is banned in Europe. But it is the second most-used herbicide in U.S. agriculture, with more than 60 million pounds sprayed on crops each year, behind only Monsanto's glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup.

Some farmers are reducing the need for herbicides like atrazine by switching to organic production methods or adopting new weed management strategies. But the federal government doesn't invest enough in supporting such innovative strategies.

Most federal farm spending supports and encourages large-scale industrial farming, dependent on chemical pesticides and fertilizers that pollute streams, rivers and lakes. Of the meager support for more sustainable farming, even less is dedicated to practices that reduce the need for pesticides. As a result, most farmers seeking financial help to reduce chemical use are turned away.

EPA is currently reviewing the regulations on atrazine, and should release its assessment in the next year. To protect public health and ensure clean drinking water, the agency should recognize the harm caused by atrazine and restrict its use.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/alex-formuzis/the-weed-killer-that-turn_b_9741668.html

Had to share this as I found the implications quite stunning and was wondering what you lot made of this?
k8wxPNR.png

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the implication that atrazine could cause gender changes in humans? If so, is there any evidence of this happening to humans?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's basically impossible for this to cause humans to literally change sex, even if exposed from birth, but there's obvious potential to screw with all kinds of chemical systems in the body.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
The only thing Alex Jones ever got right?

Fake edit: I swear these two posts weren't there when I wrote this
I AM STILL ORIGINAL

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So you're telling me Alex Jones was right?

I think if you just throw enough shit at a wall, some of it sticks. You can still call him wrong on a technicality: These aren't necessarily gay frogs, they're transgender frogs. His broader point about making drinking water better is just used to sell his totally natural chicken bone and powdery earth supplements.

rhn94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
those frogs naturally change sex in response to their environment as opposed to humans;

no proof has been found on its affect on human beings, it would have been found since EU banned it and the EPA didn't; if there was serious effects of it, it would have been apparent by now

so no need to freak out, it's the usual fearsturbation

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Even a broken clock is right twice a day; good job Jones, blind firing will eventually hit A target

OP
OP
munancho

munancho

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In all seriousness, there is so much shit in the water now (literally and figuratively) that it's scary to think about how it could be affecting us all, unknowingly.

That was kind of my point but its amusing to see how many folks run to the "herpderp alux jownes durrrr!" style response even to a topic as serious as this. 60% of our bodies are made of water and when you stop and consider industrial processes and whatnot that is going on globally along with all of the toxins that are seemingly everpresent in modern life there has to be some kind of effect on us all in ways both obvious and subtle and that my friends is a stunning implication.

thejared

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Implying homosexuality has to do with "something in the water".
Well this has got to be a hit to the 'born this way' crowd, if chemicals are proven to be the cause for changes like this.

This news, along with the news about finding the gene for homosexuality, it may show that something in our environment is altering our chemistry.

OP
OP
munancho

munancho

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Use of an alt account.
Well this has got to be a hit to the 'born this way' crowd, if chemicals are proven to be the cause for changes like this.

This news, along with the news about finding the gene for homosexuality, it may show that something in our environment is altering our chemistry.

Yes, that is an interesting line of thought. Its not just the frogs that are becoming gender fluid it seems:

Male fish mutating into females because of waste chemicals

Tougher controls should be considered on chemicals that can feminise male fish and cause other "sub-lethal" effects, a leading ecotoxicologist has said.

Nearly 10 years after he helped reveal how significant an impact human drugs were having on wildlife, Professor Charles Tyler has warned that scientists are becoming increasingly concerned about the consequences of thousands of waste substances.

Some are from industrial processes, but others are drugs taken by people that then pass through them and into the sewers or are simply flushed directly into the toilet.

He took part in a major study in 2008 that found nearly a quarter of male roach fish taken from 51 sites on English rivers showed signs of becoming female, such as having eggs in their testicles.

In some rivers, all the male roach were found to have been feminised to a degree because of high levels of oestrogen, which is used along with progestin in birth-control pills to prevent ovulation and is also present in other drugs.

"It's blindingly obvious when you stick a poison out and it kills something. It's an incredibly difficult challenge to understand sub-lethal effects and how these things affect behaviour."

http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...s-water-charles-tyler-fisheries-a7821086.html

BTW could you lot please post more Alex Jones GIFs and statements in your continued attempts to trivialize something that is actually important and has far reaching implications for the planet and its inhabitants as a whole?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Environmental pollution with endocrine-disrupting chemicals such as atrazine is a serious concern.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Yes, that is an interesting line of thought. Its not just the frogs that are becoming gender fluid it seems:

Male fish mutating into females because of waste chemicals

Tougher controls should be considered on chemicals that can feminise male fish and cause other "sub-lethal" effects, a leading ecotoxicologist has said.

Nearly 10 years after he helped reveal how significant an impact human drugs were having on wildlife, Professor Charles Tyler has warned that scientists are becoming increasingly concerned about the consequences of thousands of waste substances.

Some are from industrial processes, but others are drugs taken by people that then pass through them and into the sewers or are simply flushed directly into the toilet.

He took part in a major study in 2008 that found nearly a quarter of male roach fish taken from 51 sites on English rivers showed signs of becoming female, such as having eggs in their testicles.

In some rivers, all the male roach were found to have been feminised to a degree because of high levels of oestrogen, which is used along with progestin in birth-control pills to prevent ovulation and is also present in other drugs.

"It's blindingly obvious when you stick a poison out and it kills something. It's an incredibly difficult challenge to understand sub-lethal effects and how these things affect behaviour."

http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...s-water-charles-tyler-fisheries-a7821086.html

BTW could you lot please post more Alex Jones GIFs and statements in your continued attempts to trivialize something that is actually important and has far reaching implications for the planet and its inhabitants as a whole?

Apologies for starting it - although I was clear to highlight my worries about this issue in a later post.

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
Europe stays miles (kilometers?) ahead with food and environmental safety. I fear things are only going to get worse for us with Trump dismantling the epa. Our air and water are pretty much fucked, enjoy the mutant future.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if our species survives long enough the people in the future will look at the shit we unknowingly put into our bodies and be horrified.

OP
OP
munancho

munancho

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if our species survives long enough the people in the future will look at the shit we unknowingly put into our bodies and be horrified.

keikaku.jpg

Seriously though it could just be good old fashioned ignorance crossed with greed but when you stop and look at how many different types of endocrine disrupting chemicals are out there in our environment it really does make you wonder if there is some sort of agenda at play (no tinfoil) due to how ever present it seems to be. The question is what is the end game?

Environmental pollution with endocrine-disrupting chemicals such as atrazine is a serious concern.

100%. As I said the implications for this are immense and I posted it on this forum as I thought it would generate some good discussion as there are a lot of intelligent folk congregated around this digital watering hole. The disruptors are absolutely everywhere in modern life and their effects are far ranging, it seems to be easier to say where they aren't than list where they are.

Varied-sources-and-effects-of-EDCs.png

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-endocrine-disruptors

And when you start considering the implications for fertility and whatnot illustrated here:

https://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/the-impacts-of-endocrine-disrupters

It does make you wonder if things like 28 Days Later may just be a sneak preview of days to come on this beleaguered planet as it seems to all point that way. The fact that we can still collectively do something about this now if we choose to is the critical factor and I'm stunned that folks just wish to gloss over it or attempt to derail discussion as this train of thought holds stunning implications as I've already stated.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't see it as a hit to that in any way. What happens in frog and fish does not necessarily apply to humans, and its a huge leap to assume that's proven to be the cause.

Seriously though it could just be good old fashioned ignorance crossed with greed but when you stop and look at how many different types of endocrine disrupting chemicals are out there in our environment it really does make you wonder if there is some sort of agenda at play (no tinfoil) due to how ever present it seems to be. The question is what is the end game?

It does make you wonder if things like 28 Days Later may just be a sneak preview of days to come on this beleaguered planet as it seems to all point that way. The fact that we can still collectively do something about this now if we choose to is the critical factor and I'm stunned that folks just wish to gloss over it or attempt to derail discussion as this train of thought holds stunning implications as I've already stated.

The agenda is money. Its cheaper to not care about what you're putting into the environment, and that doesn't make it some conspiracy to create 28 Days Later.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL expected Alex Jones to pop up in this thread and I wasn't disappointed. Thank you good people.

Edit: Anyone implying that chemicals are "making" humans gay are being idiots. They've BANNED this shit in Europe. And Europe still has gays. The population of gays has likely stayed consistent. We are a more "open" society now. Gays are "freer" to express themselves (kinda). This is the same for trans people. NOTHING is new, except technology.

Last edited:

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
John C. Dvorak was talking about atrazine and what it did to frogs months ago. Same with Alex Jones, as has been noted here. I think they both made some radical and ridiculous assertion that this may be causing transgenderism in people. Consider that when we make light of saying that Alex Jones was "right", guys. I'm not saying I'm offended, but you could definitely offend people by jokingly posting that. Jones fuels paranoia, transphobia, and homophobia when he discusses this, which is no laughing matter.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
on a side note, frogs are just crazy and amazing at the same time. last weekend i was watching a dangerous animals doc on netflix, probably the most deathly poison came from a frog. it secreted the poison all over its body, the equivalent of two grains of salt is enough to kill 10 grown men in 3 minutes. the interesting thing was that when they got taken away for study, they would lose their deathly poison after a while. their natural food source are poisonous insects so in labs they probably were fed crickets and non poisonous shit.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
So they didn't just make that up in Jurassic Park? Interesting.

Edit: This has to be some sort of record for the quickest ban by an OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.