• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Transformers%2B-%2BFriendship%2Bin%2BDisguise.jpg

Written by Ian Flynn, James Asmus
Illustrated by Tony Fleecs, Jack Lawrence
96 Pages
Release Date:
November 3rd, 2020

Ponies, Autobots, and Decepticons mix it up in this graphic novel mashup!

When Queen Chrysalis casts a spell looking for more changelings, she accidentally interferes with a malfunctioning Spacebridge! What's this mean for our favorite fillies? There are suddenly a bunch of Autobots and Decepticons in Equestria! And as the dust settles, Rarity and Arcee find themselves teaming up against a hostile Decepticon force.

Plus Spike and Grimlock; Pinkie Pie, Gauge, and Shockwave; Fluttershy, Discord, and Soundwave; Rainbow Dash and Windblade; and Optimus Prime and Twilight Sparkle all team up for more adventures.

James Asmus says, "I wrote the opening chapter and climax /resolution. As well as one of the individual meet-up stories in the middle." So, it sounds like this graphic novel will have a mix of continuous and one-off stories.

Ian Flynn is generally skilled at crossovers like this, and the MLP miniseries he wrote recently, Feats of Friendship, was pretty good. I have confidence this will be written well.

I do think it would have made more sense to crossover with Transformers Animated, but that's ancient history now.

So, is this everything you hoped for?

EDIT: Article updated to confirm this is a four-issue miniseries, published weekly starting May 6.

Last edited:

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Transformers/MyLittlePony and Batman/Turtles... more cross overs please lol.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

More info. IDW now has an official press release; I guess it was a leak before.

In a press release from IDW, the publisher revealed that My Little Pony/Transformers will be a four-issue mini-series launching in May, with the collected edition reportedly hitting stores in November.

Variant covers for the first issue

My-Little-Pony-Transformers-1-Cover-RI-B-by-Bethany-McGuire-Smith-330x501.jpg
My-Little-Pony-Transformers-1-Cover-RI-A-by-Jack-Lawrence-330x504.jpg

You can see Rainbow and Starscream in the back of the first image.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
EDIT: Nevermind, was on phone and forgot to search, lock the thread

My-Little-Pony-Transformers-1-Cover-A-by-Tony-Fleecs-659x1001.jpg

https://www.idwpublishing.com/two-b...te-in-my-little-pony-transformers-comic-book/

IDW is bringing the two Hasbro properties together for a four-part crossover this May.

They may share a parent company in Hasbro, but IDW's latest crossover features two properties that could barely seem less likely to interact, with My Little Pony/Transformers being promised as a four-issue weekly comic book miniseries this May.

From a creative team that includes James Asmus, Ian Flynn, Sam Maggs, Casey W. Coller, Jack Lawrence, Sara Pitre-Durocher, Priscilla Tramontano and Tony Fleecs — the latter of whom also creates cover art for the entire series — the series will bring the conflict between the Autobots and the Decepticons to the Ponies' magical land of Equestria, with Twilight Sparkle and friends having to team with Optimus Prime to ensure that their home isn't overrun by the forces of mechanical evil.

"Teaming Transformers and My Little Pony has been a dream we've had for a long time," IDW Editor in Chief John Barber said in a statement accompanying the announcement. "We're all really excited to see this mashup of characters by a mashup of creators who are honoring the legacy of both universes...and doing it in the most bonkers, fun way imaginable!"

My Little Pony/Transformers will launch in comic stores and digitally May 6, with new issues weekly throughout the month.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Oh, Ian's writing this? Will give it a look.

Surprised it took this long for a crossover.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh hey, Ian's writing this. This'll be fun.

There's just so much crossover potential with the licenses IDW has. They've also got Sonic, TMNT, Usagi Yojimbo, and basically every other Hasbro property.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ever since the Sonic IDW series started, I imagined a summer event where the cast would one day be scattered across different IDW properties:
-Transformers
-GI JOE
-TMNT
-My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Add Usagi Yojimbo to the list, a crossover with Stan Sakai's masterpiece is a must. It helps that Usagi crosses over with the Turtles regularly as well.

Jem and the Holograms would also be fun.

Oct 27, 2017
Got the toys ready to go!
IMG20181215104749_sirtoys.jpg

Kind of weird that they're doing this crossover now, after FiM has ended.
Oh well, I'll give it a shot anyway.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
If there isn't a transformer who turns into a robot pony than everything was for nothing

Well, we already have Mach Kick, which not only has a quite MLP name, but his TFWiki caption is "My Little Maximal". :)

MachKickEnlists01.jpg

That's more of a shellformer than actual robotic horse though; for the latter, although not an actual TF, Aussenseiter from Super Robot Wars fits the bill pretty nicely:
r_g0000139472_19_04.jpg
r_g0000139472_19_07.jpg