• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
TM2 Dinobot was my favorite transformer that I owned during Beast Wars' run, such a cool design. Really excited for the third party offerings. Might have to get both of them if finances will allow.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
A little LTTP but got finally got my Missing Link C-02 last weekend from BBTS, easily one of my all-time favorite TF toys. I paired it with a Good Smile figure stand (the toy has a standard 3mm hole in the back for stand pegs) and it's awesome how posable it is.

We can only hope Tomy/Takara attempts more of these later on.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah BBTS was super slow on the Missing Links (mostly because they seem to have been waiting on the Hasbro reboxed versions), but I got both versions and they're honestly fantastic.

I do hope some third party does replacement arm inserts for C-02 to give him the blank forearms with the yellow arrows; it seems like this should be easy to swap. The unpainted toy detailing is my only complaint about him.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I got my Gears and Shard in and I love 'em.

Gears is basically exactly what I like in a Transformer. Kinda chunky, with limbs that turn into the surface of the vehicle instead of a parachute of panels that explodes out from somewhere. The transformation is intuitive but has some novel elements. About my only complaint is that I wish that there had been a teensy bit more budget to add a twist to his chestplate so you could spin it around, with the other side being more truck-like instead of just having his chest as-is on the back.

Shard is pretty good, too, and I like the way the clear plastic pieces are just embedded into the other pieces, rather than her whole chest being made up of clear plastic. There's no in-universe precedent for it, as far as I know, but I really hope they partial this figure as a Helicopter Waspinator at some point.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the fact that everyone is acting like a goofball ruined most of the trailer for me... I can tell the action looks good at least, but the trailer at least gave the impression certain scenes could be undercut because of the humor - take the "transforming for the first time" bit in the trailer - should be an epic moment, instead its a bunch of people running off a cliff and struggling to transform. Not what Id hoped to see at all...

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize it was Dreamworks and that explains why it feels like every other kids cartoon, just that very common "every character must quip" thing.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I may be easy to please, but I'll give it a watch. It doesn't look like something that'll really stick with me, but maybe it will stick with some kid.

My biggest concern was that the designs would be shit and we'd get shitty toys or have to deal with gross designs becoming the status quo or something, but the designs are fine, so I'm good. I'm actually excited about the Optimus figure.

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
PMOP_002.jpg

PMOP_013.jpg

PMOP_020.jpg

PMOP_021.jpg

DNA designs is doing a third party upgrade kit for Legacy Animated Optimus to make him resemble the cancelled concept from what was to be Animated Season 4.

PMOP_026.jpg

Really tempted picking up a Legacy Animated Prime just for this, but I'm not sure on DNA Designs' QC after hearing some comments on their Animated Prowl upgrade kit, if anyone knows more about them.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've bought a few of their upgrade kits and they have been pretty solid. Just the ones for the Titan class figures, which aren't exactly a ton of engineering needed though, this is kinda on a different level.

I'm still not crazy about that Animated Prime figure, though if I were I'd probably pick this up easy.

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've bought a few of their upgrade kits and they have been pretty solid. Just the ones for the Titan class figures, which aren't exactly a ton of engineering needed though, this is kinda on a different level.

I'm still not crazy about that Animated Prime figure, though if I were I'd probably pick this up easy.

Reminds me of the good ol' days when the biggest 3rd party thing was the City Commander upgrade kit for the Classics Optimus.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcZvPgNcHI8

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
PMOP_002.jpg

PMOP_013.jpg

PMOP_020.jpg

PMOP_021.jpg

DNA designs is doing a third party upgrade kit for Legacy Animated Optimus to make him resemble the cancelled concept from what was to be Animated Season 4.

PMOP_026.jpg

Really tempted picking up a Legacy Animated Prime just for this, but I'm not sure on DNA Designs' QC after hearing some comments on their Animated Prowl upgrade kit, if anyone knows more about them.

I have numerous DNA kits for the various Titans and SS Dinobots and they're all extremely well made. I would get this without hesitation if I cared about TFA at all.

sophora

Oct 29, 2017
That animated Prime kit looks tempting. I was originally going to skip out the new TFA figures but picked up Prowl and enjoyed the posability so went for Optimus and Bee and ended up liking both. I might get the upgrade kit for Optimus just to have a trailer for his altmode.